Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hunutteri said:
Bloc said:
Found this in Facebook  :razz:
11391142_1046731885344518_2951367967672043164_n.jpg
They would still wait just as long as we.
Depend.

It's not really about how big the dev team is, hence they are still working a lot on sequels based on the original M&B:WB considering the amount of updates that have been released for such games (Caribbean, Vikings). From my point of view it seems like the old engine still remains the main focus for the team. As it might not necessarily be a 'bad' thing, it's certainly an impediment in the development of Bannerlord - which should be the main focus. I personally would find myself contempt with just a reassurance that indeed that is the case.

Eh wat? The devs are working solely on Bannerlord. Viking Conquest and Caribbean are made by third party developers, with the slightly assistance and pomotion of Taleworlds.  And the same goes for Napoleonic Wars and With Fire and Sword.

So yes, Bannerlord is the focus of Taleworlds, more importantly because it is the only thing they have to focus on. There is no need to reassure that.

jacobhinds said:
If they implement seasons, and the AI understood what to do during each one, it would add a lot of depth and variety to the game. At the moment peace is abrupt and unpredictable, but with attrition during winter and limited recruitment during late summer (peasants returning home), it would make sense for wars to slow down in certain months.

A harvest mechanic would also be quite interesting. It's a bit silly how an agricultural settlement can provide steady and predictable income, so it would make sense to receive the majority of wealth during harvest, with a few small trade and goods tariffs throughout the rest of the year.

Of course this would require time to be contracted quite a bit (perhaps about ten times) so that you don't only experience one harvest in your entire playthrough. Although that's not much of a problem according to most of the posters here.

This idea is always fun in theory but I've yet to see a game where it makes things more FUN. admittedly I don't find Total War games all that engaging but to me the weather system in there is a weakish mechanic. Care to think of any game where it makes things better? Otherwise I'm incline to think of the feature as something like your perspective on ambush mechanics(if I recall correctly), that there isn't a way to implement the feature without it being a hassle.

It would add to the immersion a lot, though. For instance, if you are out on campaign against a faction, it would be really cool if you could have a "raid farmlands" option, where you can get some food for your army, but have the peasants hate you.  So when you conquer what you were trying to conquer, they'll remember that you raided them, which could slow down or even halt production of resources.

redwood36 said:
This idea is always fun in theory but I've yet to see a game where it makes things more FUN. admittedly I don't find Total War games all that engaging but to me the weather system in there is a weakish mechanic. Care to think of any game where it makes things better? Otherwise I'm incline to think of the feature as something like your perspective on ambush mechanics(if I recall correctly), that there isn't a way to implement the feature without it being a hassle.

I can't think of a game where there is a significant season system. Yes, there are seasons in Total War games, but I don't think there is much if any effect on gameplay. Rome 2 is probably the first where the seasons have a real effect (please someone do correct me if I'm wrong. I know there was some 'weather' effect in Medieval 1, where fighting and marching in the desert battles tired armoured troops faster). In Rome 2 marching around in cold areas leads to attrition, which is good. Also I believe province income falls in winter and I think fighting in rain might tire troops quicker (not sure on that), but there isn't a huge effect on gameplay. No frozen rivers in winter for example. What other games have seasons and weather as more than a cosmetic feature?

By the way you refer to ambushes, they have already been mentioned as a feature of Bannerlord in one of the blogs.

Johan_Stormcloak said:
It would add to the immersion a lot, though. For instance, if you are out on campaign against a faction, it would be really cool if you could have a "raid farmlands" option, where you can get some food for your army, but have the peasants hate you.  So when you conquer what you were trying to conquer, they'll remember that you raided them, which could slow down or even halt production of resources.
I wouldn't like something like that without an option to make someone else take the blame. I would be interesting to raid a village with bannerman using an enemy lord to make him look guilty. Player should have the ability to choose between being the uniting Bannerlord or the mischievious opportunist who plot schemes for gaining wealth and keeping its good reputation.

Tatari_okan said:
I wouldn't like something like that without an option to make someone else take the blame. I would be interesting to raid a village with bannerman using an enemy lord to make him look guilty. Player should have the ability to choose between being the uniting Bannerlord or the mischievious opportunist who plot schemes for gaining wealth and keeping its good reputation.
That's actually a cool idea. Maybe you could have a spymaster who is in charge of plotting.

redwood36 said:
Otherwise I'm incline to think of the feature as something like your perspective on ambush mechanics(if I recall correctly), that there isn't a way to implement the feature without it being a hassle.

Well, soon enough we'll see how it's implemented in the next VC version. Obviously Bannerlord is a whole different animal, but it might give us a slight idea of the possibilities.

cartel7.jpg

Johan_Stormcloak said:
:shock: Where did you find that?!?

Viking Conquest: Reforged Edition

With the greater map sizes we're expecting in Bannerlord I'd imagine it would use a vastly different ambush system to a warband-based game. But could offer a glimpse of how it might be done.

Does anyone have a link to where it says Bannerlord will have ambushes? I don't actually remember reading that.

DanAngleland said:
I can't think of a game where there is a significant season system.

Well... there's King Arthur II, you've got three "ordinary" turns a year and then winter turn, when your armies are stuck in their encampments, you finalize building, carry with research and do all the stuff that isn't dragging warriors around, killing demons.

DanAngleland said:
redwood36 said:

I can't think of a game where there is a significant season system. Yes, there are seasons in Total War games, but I don't think there is much if any effect on gameplay. Rome 2 is probably the first where the seasons have a real effect (please someone do correct me if I'm wrong. I know there was some 'weather' effect in Medieval 1, where fighting and marching in the desert battles tired armoured troops faster). In Rome 2 marching around in cold areas leads to attrition, which is good. Also I believe province income falls in winter and I think fighting in rain might tire troops quicker (not sure on that), but there isn't a huge effect on gameplay. No frozen rivers in winter for example. What other games have seasons and weather as more than a cosmetic feature?

By the way you refer to ambushes, they have already been mentioned as a feature of Bannerlord in one of the blogs.

Re ambushes, nice! I'd actually like to see what what they would do with ambushes. I simply referred to them becAuse, again assuming I remember correctly, that was Jacobs objection to them. Might be wildly incorrect and someone else said it.

I'm dissapointed, 3 years and no significant info on the game. Here's all we've gotten

12 pics after 2 years of complete silence.
Blog 1; Hair is gonna look nice, a pic or two.
Blog 2; We get 3 pics of environments, we see a bit of the environment editor.
Blog 3; We get vague details about game, and we see the inventory screen. Horses can have armor, 5 armor slots. Only relevant details.
Blog 4; A few siege pics, vague details about game mechanics and sieges ingame.
Blog 5; We're told about there motion capture techniques, and get a picture of an ingame tavern.
Blog 6; We get vague details about facial animations and gameplay, and we get 2 pictures of 3 different facial expressions of someone ingame.
Blog 7; Vague faction information, 2 new pictures. All we know for certain, game takes place 600-1100 AD.
Blog 8; We get a video, about 5 minutes of a guy talking about environment editor and modding tools. Then gives no gameplay details, until the end where we see about 5 seconds of no UI gameplay.
Blog 9; Music Blog. Little faction tuns gives hints to each factions culture. That's it.
Blog 10; We get a look at bartering/diplomacy, a very small one too. We also get more vague details.

Insert Turkish/foreign language articles that are not presented to us the fans, using pictures we haven't seen and more vague game details.

God, Total War Warhammer has more information released so far. Maybe if we're lucky, we'll get a 10 second teaser on September 27th 2022

TL;DR - I'm mad, bro.

Did a quick search, looks like blog 3:

Development of this kind is incremental and behaviours need to be gradually corrected and improved over time, to include new actions. An example of this is ambushing. The mechanic and gameplay of ambushing itself needs to be developed but for a real implementation into the game, the AI needs to be programmed to make sure that lord and bandit parties also make use of ambushing in realistic ways. This adds extra layers to the development of a non-linear game like Mount&Blade, obviously creating complications but a necessary part of creating the games that we want to create and our players enjoy.

Another one mentions 'Battanians' being good at ambushing.  Faction traits maybe?

kraggrim said:
Johan_Stormcloak said:
:shock: Where did you find that?!?

Viking Conquest: Reforged Edition

With the greater map sizes we're expecting in Bannerlord I'd imagine it would use a vastly different ambush system to a warband-based game. But could offer a glimpse of how it might be done.

Does anyone have a link to where it says Bannerlord will have ambushes? I don't actually remember reading that.

Here dawg. https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/4
Paragraph 5.

Also, what if there were different mounts per faction. For instance the desert faction could have camels. These could be superior in the desert, but weaker in colder climates.

kraggrim said:
Another one mentions 'Battanians' being good at ambushing.  Faction traits maybe?
That would be interesting. Perhaps it could be Total War style, showing you the different bonuses . Also, they said that the factions would be divided into clans, so it would be cool if they had clan-specific traits.

TheAngrySword said:
Also, what if there were different mounts per faction. For instance the desert faction could have camels. These could be superior in the desert, but weaker in colder climates.
Horses are fine, if not better for actual combat in the desert: they aren't really that impeded by the sand and they are bred (for generations) and disciplined for battle. I could see camels as desert transportation though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom