Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I said knife, I obviously meant a throwing knife. Obvious it is that a kitchen knife wont do the same damage as a throwing knife made to have a nice trajectory and pierce into the guys skull.

Amontadillo said:

It's quite patently obvious that hardly anyone in this thread knows what is realistic, and even where they do, they are choosing to forget that.

So true  :grin:

Sounds awsome, everything I could hope for for M&B2. Taking the game from its garage origins to sleek, polished AAA game but still super mod friendly.

They really should try their best to implement a multiplayer campaign map like crpg strategus, it's quite revolutionary for this kind of FPS/3rd person multiplayer action game. Maybe hire the guys who did it?

Egarb said:
I know what's realistic, and your arguments are not.
Care to back that up with anything? Because quite frankly, I don't see your "realism credibility." I can fetch one of our resident woodsmen to back me up on the throwing-knife case if you like.

MadocComadrin said:
Egarb said:
I know what's realistic, and your arguments are not.
Care to back that up with anything? Because quite frankly, I don't see your "realism credibility." I can fetch one of our resident woodsmen to back me up on the throwing-knife case if you like.

Smale game and humans are not the same pray.  An do you have any documentation on trowing knifes in warfare ?

Egarb said:
Smale game and humans are not the same pray.  An do you have any documentation on trowing knifes in warfare ?
Both are made of flesh and bleed. Anything that's not covered in at least padded leather is going to suffer trauma. Aside from canonical warfare usage in places such as India, Africa and America, some writings suggests use of throwing knives by irregular soldiers of lesser birth. However, that was not the argument at hand: lethality and ease of use was. Neither throwing knives (keep in mind these aren't dinky kitchen knives) nor throwing axes can penetrate too deeply. That comes down to a knife hitting more consistently and while an axe might hit with blunt force (which is both a disadvantage and advantage in and of itself).

Keep in mind that not all conflicts depicted in M&B are pitched battles. Many conflicts, especially early game conflicts, are small skirmishes.

Frankly, I've done a decent amount of spin-throwing, with axes and knives. Also javelin throwing, but anyways:
Axes are easy to do a lot of damage with in a short throw. You can get a running start, and put a lot of force into the object, because it's heavy.

So much so, that it is almost guaranteed to do some damage. It may not kill or incapacitate an enemy, but if it hits, it leaves him in a worse situation.
Knives on the other hand, tend to be much smaller and lighter; you can't get a lot of strength behind it.
This means that you need much more skill do do anything of worth with it. IE: You need to be able to reliably hit with the blade/tip, and you need to be accurate while doing so.
You can hit with the handle of a throwing axe, and the force will still get transferred; less efficiently, but there's more of it than in a knife.

TL;DR
Axes are loads easier/simpler to hurt someone with, than a knife.

Here are some of my humble opinions.
As for horse strafing, I don't think its going to be an active thing. I think it will be mouse operated, so you will have a certain window to swing left and right, but if you pass that limit, then the horse will stride into a strafe that's not quite 'a' or 'd', so it wont be as distinct. <- source = my head, pure speculation.

Dual wielding might be interesting, but make the dual wielder only be able to hit with both weapons while preforming overheads and stabs only, let it be slower but do more damage for example.

But on my list of what Bannerlord has to have is the following:

- Dynamic environments. I'd love to see wind, moving grass, water currents, rain and weather, (some moving clouds?), seasons, and better overall sounds. Immersion is important for me.
- More options in your fiefs. RPG's become more interesting with more strategy inserted in them, so I would love to see the ability to build more things that have more effects on fiefs as well as create buildings that say auto-recruit for you and then you go pick the troops up or something, or it puts them in the Garrison for example. Controlling taxes and caravans would also be very cool, for example you could instruct them to avoid certain routes on the map, or you could assign more/less guards to them and control their cargo if the fief is yours. A population for each fief would also be great, because it will give you an idea how much you can recruit, how much money you can make ...etc
- More micromanagement for your own army. It would be great to be able to split off say 5 Knights from your army and tell them to go scout an area, or be able to set up patrols around places like in some mods. Customizing your army more would also be cool. An 'upgrade' system of weaponry and armor can make your best troops even better for example. Imagine having 5 or 6 groups of Khergit Horse Archers patrolling around you in all directions giving you essentially extra view range. So you can see a larger area of the map which would be super helpful in invasions and defending key points.
- More options during siege. Things like sending people inside the castle, or maybe going inside yourself to try and open one of the gates (more entry points to castles please).
- Bunkering in. The ability to build a make shift camp that has a simple gate and fence to ward off enemies if you're stuck in enemy territory or want to safeguard a mountain pass or river.
- Idle building. The ability to set up watch towers or roads to help protecting the kingdom/sultanate..etc or speed up travel for everything on the road.

Rallix said:
TL;DR
Axes are loads easier/simpler to hurt someone with, than a knife.

IIRC M&B's throwing knives aren't exactly weapons of mass destruction currently either.

Oh, oh, oh! This **** needs to be implemented.

Random generated battleground variety. Warband's maps are purdy and fine, but get repetitive and boring eventually. Add some buildings and farms and fences and ruins and bridges and whatever to the battlegrounds generation process. Or do the thing TLD did: divide the travel map into sections, with each section having a handbuilt battlemap.

Nahkuri said:
Random generated battleground variety. Warband's maps are purdy and fine, but get repetitive and boring eventually. Add some buildings and farms and fences and ruins and bridges and whatever to the battlegrounds generation process. Or do the thing TLD did: divide the travel map into sections, with each section having a handbuilt battlemap.

+1

I would in fact like to go deeper into that with an in-game editor for your fiefs. Not like the one for modding but an easier one that actually makes changes. Buildings cost money, but all bring bonusses, walls could be built strategically, farms will produce food en enlarge our cattle pastures etc.
Sadly this will never happen.

Aye. More ways to make money in SP as well. Currently all I have to do is loot a few villages every now and then and I'm good. Honour-relations should have a bigger impact on the gameplay.

Expanding the enterprise system, making prisoners, loot and troop wages more expensive would be good.

Outlawed said:
- Dynamic environments. I'd love to see wind, moving grass, water currents, rain and weather, (some moving clouds?), seasons, and better overall sounds. Immersion is important for me.
I had never really thought about wind. I for one hope it's been implemented. It would certainly nerf archery for awhile, at least until people learn to exploit it of course (e.g., shooting around corners or teammates? :shock:).

Oh and rain would be great, especially if it affected projectiles and movement. Dozens of people slipping in mud and falling on their asses during a siege or large-scale battle would be hilarious :lol:

Nahkuri said:
YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom