Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like big battles.But with intelligent Ai that can flank with individual skills , good fighters and poor fighters regardless of rank.Blood all over the field,  the sound of war cries and screams, and crows that fly overhead after it all ends as you finish off the wounded and loot the bodies.

General von Hiller said:
I am eager to see what Kingdom Come: Deliverance will offer in terms of battles. The way combat is shown in these videos, that's the way I would like to see it in Bannerlord

Bad luck. The combat looks graphically polished (though I'd point out, still completely unrealistic) because it uses a rigid system where one type of attack hits one place on the body of the locked on enemy, which means it can connect in the same way every time with just one animation, not at all like M&B combat, where one can freely attack anywhere with any type of attack - think about the difference in the number of animations required to get the same level of physical correspondance in a game like M&B.

There is no M&B-like large scale combat in KC:grin:. The player will participate in one or two battles, but as I understand it, will only be able to interact with a tiny part of them, duelling a few guys (with single button blocking...) while sprites fight each other as a backdrop.

This is not what combat should be like in any M&B game. It's a big step backward. Signing up for the K:CD Kickstarter was a no brainer and I'm sure it will be fun, but not on the strength of its combat system.

@Meevar Yeah, i was put off as soon as they said all combat would be duel-based. I haven't looked into KC:grin: much but the combat does look a bit like warscape engine simulator 2015, killmoves and all.
That said, i would like to see if there's enough softcode in bannerlord that we could enhance the combat system at its very core, rather than just tweaking speed and animations the like. The combat in the most recent blog video looked disappointingly similar to warband.

jacobhinds said:
@Meevar Yeah, i was put off as soon as they said all combat would be duel-based. I haven't looked into KC:grin: much but the combat does look a bit like warscape engine simulator 2015, killmoves and all.
I'm looking for a quest driven game, like m&b is, but with better graphics, better individualisation(layers of clothing and items), an open world where you can travel in 1st person(not on a 2d map like in m&b) and realistic towns, castles and equipment :razz:
Meevar the Mighty said:
Bad luck. The combat looks graphically polished (though I'd point out, still completely unrealistic) because it uses a rigid system where one type of attack hits one place on the body of the locked on enemy, which means it can connect in the same way every time with just one animation, not at all like M&B combat, where one can freely attack anywhere with any type of attack - think about the difference in the number of animations required to get the same level of physical correspondance in a game like M&B.

There is no M&B-like large scale combat in KC:grin:. The player will participate in one or two battles, but as I understand it, will only be able to interact with a tiny part of them, duelling a few guys (with single button blocking...) while sprites fight each other as a backdrop.

This is not what combat should be like in any M&B game. It's a big step backward. Signing up for the K:CD Kickstarter was a no brainer and I'm sure it will be fun, but not on the strength of its combat system.
I bought the baron tier, so I have early access and will closely observate the ongoing developpment :razz:

I just got the best physical tier I could afford with 10 GBP shipping, so no alpha for me.

I do like where they're going with the game, but I think it's important that people see it for what it is - a more traditional rpg with a cinematic combat system that doesn't aim to push any boundaries or elicit a feeling of medieval combat any more than a game like Skyrim, with which the game shares a lot more than it does with M&B (including the fact that it's designed for console). If people get it thinking it's going to be at all like an improved M&B, they'll be disappointed.

Multiplayer capable combat is far different then the single player combat in Deliverance. M&B combat has to be quick, responsive and balanced for fighting another human. Deliverance doesn't have to worry about that, just program for fighting AI, which behave in predictable and programed ways. In other words, you don't really want the huge change to combat that you are wishing for.

M&B has good MP, don't break what works just make better animations etc. etc. and improve on what you got.

I'm looking forward to the graphics, map and AI improvements.

Meevar the Mighty said:
I just got the best physical tier I could afford with 10 GBP shipping, so no alpha for me.

I do like where they're going with the game, but I think it's important that people see it for what it is - a more traditional rpg with a cinematic combat system that doesn't aim to push any boundaries or elicit a feeling of medieval combat any more than a game like Skyrim, with which the game shares a lot more than it does with M&B (including the fact that it's designed for console). If people get it thinking it's going to be at all like an improved M&B, they'll be disappointed.
I guess that Deliverance is more like skyrim, yes. But I think the open world element, meaning that you travel 1st person through the world and not with a little icon like it is the case atm, would really help the game. especially because of their new editor with who they can easily create a map and villages etc

General von Hiller said:
I guess that Deliverance is more like skyrim, yes. But I think the open world element, meaning that you travel 1st person through the world and not with a little icon like it is the case atm, would really help the game. especially because of their new editor with who they can easily create a map and villages etc

And you're suddenly teleported onto battlefield once you meet lord and speech bubble with "!" grows above his head? Or does the army walk behind your tail all the time causing lag?

The thing with current system is that it works for game like M&B, allowing huge campaign map rich with settlements, going onto long trading routes and more "natural" change of climate - can you imagine drifting from snowy shores of Vaegir port, through infinite Khergit steppes right to Sarranid oasis? Few days of travel when you can see how world changes around you from first person perspective would already feel unreal and it would either need to be compensated to in-game day, or days and night would have to shift fast, or you'd have to cut some of those areas entirely. Preferably all of the above.

With current system large, empty spaces are just places to chase bandits, travel safely or whatever. In first person perspective you need to pepper those with random events or player will just leave. Yeah, sure, one can say "then make both", but first, it's lots of work for something that will most likely not be used after first few days or be used only for some climatic shots of your army and second, I don't think coordinating such FPP map with "classic" one would be that easy.

ofcourse you would have to give up the idea of having all these factions and regions in the game. It would be more like one region who is similar, but with different factions holding the different castles. and meeting a hostile army on your way in first person, and then smoothly place your men for an attack would be sweet. But ofcourse, that would be a totaly different concept of a game and not much like bannerlord will probably be. I guess that the game will be more like an improved warband, a more polished version

you may call it worse, but after 2 successful games and 3 dlc's, it might be time to change the game concept, otherwise the franchise risks to get a bit old imo, like it happened to other franchises(fracry 4 was actually kind of boring and I didn't enjoy it quite as I enjoyed farcry 3)

This isn't a AAA franchise where they crank out a new game every year and struggle to make them much different from one another. This is going to be the first relatively-modern M&B in years. Warband was released years ago, and everything since then afaik has been based on it, and therefore subject to the limitations of it and its engine. The DLCs have been for Warband. WFAS and Caribbean are based on the Warband engine iirc. All they have to do is to make Bannerlord's gameplay like Warband's but better, such as by improving the systems, the animations, the modability, and whatever else, and it'll be a damn fine game. The last thing they need to do is change the concept. If they did that, it might not be the M&B that so many of us have fallen in love with. Would you want that? A game that claims to be M&B, but doesn't really play/feel like it? Unless they seriously **** something up, Bannerlord will do fine as a more modern successor to Warband and a new base for mods, DLCs, future spin-off games, etc. No earth-shattering changes required. :razz:

Arvenski said:
The last thing they need to do is change the concept. If they did that, it might not be the M&B that so many of us have fallen in love with. Would you want that? A game that claims to be M&B, but doesn't really play/feel like it?
It would be doomed to failure if they do that like how Arcania doomed Gothic series (maybe debatable but still).

I think they're gonna have a hard time messing Bannerlord up. They'd really have to screw up in order to make it bad. They're most likely listening to the community, and will probably keep all the good old features in there, plus adding a bunch of new ones. All that with new graphics - it'd be hard to screw up.

I think it's gonna be amazing.

Arvenski said:
This isn't a AAA franchise where they crank out a new game every year and struggle to make them much different from one another. This is going to be the first relatively-modern M&B in years. Warband was released years ago, and everything since then afaik has been based on it, and therefore subject to the limitations of it and its engine. The DLCs have been for Warband. WFAS and Caribbean are based on the Warband engine iirc. All they have to do is to make Bannerlord's gameplay like Warband's but better, such as by improving the systems, the animations, the modability, and whatever else, and it'll be a damn fine game. The last thing they need to do is change the concept. If they did that, it might not be the M&B that so many of us have fallen in love with. Would you want that? A game that claims to be M&B, but doesn't really play/feel like it? Unless they seriously **** something up, Bannerlord will do fine as a more modern successor to Warband and a new base for mods, DLCs, future spin-off games, etc. No earth-shattering changes required. :razz:
:cry:
This isn't a AAA franchise, but they had time to make changes and do more then improvements from 2010 on

What General von Hiller said is, somewhat, how I envision the ultimate Mount and Blade game. This is of course my opinion, and certainly couldn't be done in the near future. But a huge open world Mount and Blade would be awesome. You would usually travel with a small party, go back to your holding and gather an army and supplies and go to war, stuff like that.

General von Hiller said:
that's it :razz:

Have you ever played the Persistent World mod then? Sounds like it might be something to interest you, IF not for Warband then for the inevitable Bannerlord version when its released. I have been mentioning it a lot lately around the forums because I'm getting so excited for after the map size and editor announcements. I really think that Bannerlord PW has the potential to be the very best mod for it there is. I intend to do whatever I can to help it get there too. I'm looking forward to making scenes.

Essentially its an "open world", MP, roleplaying type game. It just takes place on one large scene with multiple factions, castles, areas etc.  Right now its limited by the maximum size of the scenes themselves but in Bannerlord this wont be an issue.

We will be able to make new custom scenes potentially 225ksq in size. This will be amazing for PW. Now we will be able to live in a huge medieval world with real distances between areas and real travel. Making for better trade and economy and much more RP then just fighting. Of course, PW is a multiplayer mod and that may just not interest you at all, but I can almost guarantee that with these new large size scenes that someone somewhere will make some sort of a SP "game" with just using a large scene and not using any map mode. Kinda like a SP PW. I have been talking about

With all that being said, I don't actually think that one large open world scene will be enough for the SP Bannerlord campaign or that they should make the changes you suggest. I like the current system and would welcome an improved map mode but not removed. As others have suggested, and not to sound rude, but if deliverance sounds like your type of dream game, then go play Deliverance. I think Bannerlord is coming out to be amazing just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom