Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rallix said:
Or, add a new system for defense against stabs and thrusts. This should involve redirection of the tip away from yourself. Perhaps blocking on one side then switching the block to the opposite side while the thrust comes at you, knocking the point off course. Of course, this would require carefully constructed animations, allowing a player time enough to react, while still requiring some precision.

This sounds awesome.

Cookie Muncher said:
Hitlands Silver Sword said:
Where did you hear/read that is pre-warband?
I`ll explain to you via PM later today.

Let's not forget the all and mighty problem of spears vs shields - the enemy will just keep his guard up until he can hack you into pieces up close.
Yeah, that's primarily a problem with shields though. It's like an impenetrable wall as long as you face in the general direction the attack is coming from. We need to be able to hit around, under and over shields, which would require rework of the shield mechanic. Shouldn't be too hard, look upwards to block up, downwards to block down, to the sides to block swings. Basically a simplified directional block system, where you can just hold the right mouse button constantly, but still have to be decent at fighting to stay alive.
Rallix said:
Or, add a new system for defense against stabs and thrusts. This should involve redirection of the tip away from yourself. Perhaps blocking on one side then switching the block to the opposite side while the thrust comes at you, knocking the point off course. Of course, this would require carefully constructed animations, allowing a player time enough to react, while still requiring some precision.

For example, a spearman stands in front of you, and chambers a stab, bringing his rear arm back as far as he can grip the haft stably, giving him the optimum reach, while his front arm supports the polearm. He twists his core sideways, and then brings his rear foot forward, and throwing the tip of his spear as far as he can without dropping it or doing himself a mischief.

To block counter this you have a stance where you extend your weapon before you, giving you sufficient space/distance/reach to react to the stab, by swatting the tip away from your body. If you're fast enough. If you're not, the stab will slide through your guard into your precious organs.

Course, to model this would require some absolutely astounding innovation to make feel right.
Perhaps you could hold the shift key while attacking or defending to switch to use stabs/defend them.
That's quite an extensive change and should apply to all stabs from any weapon imo. Considering they've said they're redoing the chambering system, maybe they've already got something like this in mind.

There's quite a lot going on with spears already if you know how to use them. Because of the method of collision the game uses its fantastic as a support weapon because you can bend the stabs around allies and objects. It already plays its role really well and is an integral part of the competitive melee game.

You can't fight 1 on 1 with a spear and shield obviously, but then why should you be able to? You're able to defend yourself from all threats from all three classes as well as being able to provide longer range melee support during fights.

------------

I like the idea of being able to do a different type of block on a thrust by doing left block -> right block. Would be interesting as some sort of counter move and wouldn't interfere with the existing mechanics.

Reworking piercing attacks as a whole so that it is realistically effective while still firmly attached to the gameplay is something that would be a hell of a feat to pull off. The way blocking and attacking works in Bannerlord is, unfortunately, what would make some of these suggestions incredibly difficult to implement without causing more harm than good. I really like the idea of making blocking more involved with positioning, and needing to face the direction of a piercing attack to block it.

The way I see it though this would only invalidate one style of play while making others more powerful. The problem with attacks in mount and blade is that they're not designed to bypass someone's defenses. No matter how you position your attack or what direction you face, a weapon swing tends to gravitate toward the central mass of an opponent. What historically makes piercing attacks a much more reliable move in combat, apart from it being one of the few things a tight formation of soldiers are capable of committing their arms to on the battlefield, is that they're effective at going around someone's shield and still having the power it needs to punch through their armor. Sure, it would fix the problem presented with people down-blocking spearmen with their swords until they get into close melee, but it is only a small piece to a behavior in combat that itself would need reworking to make piercing attacks better. Aside from making two different forms of blocking feel detached and awkward between each other, parrying would become more difficult and shields would become more preferable with their force-field technology circumnavigating these new rules for blocking, making the addition pointless.

It also wouldn't fix my biggest problem with piercing weapons being that they don't work without precise motion to get the momentum needed just to hit someone, or else it glances. Of all the types of attack, piercing should be the last one that should have a difficult time getting into someone's flesh. At least, that should be the case for short weapons. Pikes can actually be impossibly effective at close-range.

I honestly don't know what we could do to change it effectively without revamping the entire fundamental way combat works. I'd personally like to see a MaB combat system that's more unique to what were familiar with, but I don't really see it happening either.

Crille said:
Sea raider faction to replace Nord faction is acceptable.

What?? And your faction is Nord??
Nords and sea riders are very diferent. Sea rider is bandit in this game, and a group of "vikings" cannot be a faction.
The diference between an empire/house or a group of sea riders is abysmal.
If they make Sea rider as a faction replacing nords that would be a mistake (In my opinion)...

The lore of the game is that sea raiders from distant lands came to calradia and carved out a kingdom from the vaegirs.
The Nords are brothers with the sea raiders who still go on seasonal raids to calradia.

Playing as a earlier nord faction akin to sea raiders would be immensely satisfying.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong about the lore though.

Crille said:
The lore of the game is that sea raiders from distant lands came to calradia and carved out a kingdom from the vaegirs.
The Nords are brothers with the sea raiders who still go on seasonal raids to calradia.

Playing as a earlier nord faction akin to sea raiders would be immensely satisfying.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong about the lore though.

I think you're right, I spoke with "Cookie munch crunch?" i'm bad remembering names lol.

I didn't know the lore.
It's just that I don't see a few bandits/riders boulding an empire in a foreign land.

But if it's the lore I've got nothing to say.

Crille said:

Actually, if I remember correctly, Nords not only carved their kingdom out of Vaegirs' flesh, they were invited by either late Empire or already Swadia (don't remember, but they were definitely "hired") to do so. Approximately at the same point - more or less - Khergits invade the steppes, so it may get intensive, if Bannerlord is indeed placed at this point in Calradian history. Even though Rhodoks would be missing.
And, yeah, sea raiders come from Nordland as well.
Also, I hope we will learn more about Sarranids, as they're faction that gives me "glued on" vibes in Warband. I mean, I didn't encounter single word in that small pieces of history we get that acknowledges their existence. They could vanish altogether and not a single dialogue would feel awkward due to their absence.

Sloth said:
Wait, Mount & Blade have the lore?!

Yea, a little bit. nothing as extensive as an elder scroll game, or even a call of duty game but there is a little to give the game a bit of history.

I just wonder what the global map will look like. Will it be similar to warband or will it be completely different?

it would be nice, because it would feel like the Dev's are being lazy if they use same map as before. Especially when you think about how easy it is to navigate and little of a challenge now that we had time to get used to the last two.

hirovard said:
Sloth said:

Yea, a little bit. nothing as extensive as an elder scroll game, or even a call of duty game but there is a little to give the game a bit of history.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I want to see some islands ja isles in the global map. Perhaps one huge or many smaller ones if Bannerlord even has the "traveling the seas" system thingy.

I think you're right, I spoke with "Cookie munch crunch?" i'm bad remembering names lol.

I didn't know the lore.
It's just that I don't see a few bandits/riders boulding an empire in a foreign land.

But if it's the lore I've got nothing to say.

Because that has not happen more then a dusin times in history ???
norse has settled down tons of times in different lands on there raids. 

Sloth said:
hirovard said:
Sloth said:

Interesting, I didn't know that.

The lore (if i remember it right ) is essentially, there used to be a empire that had unified the Caladrian continent. Their forces were the strongest and had also taken land from out side the continent. After some time the bloodline of the emperors died out and a number of lords in the empire claimed the throne. They ended up splitting the empire and formed their own kingdoms. now several generations along the line the petty squabbling continues. During that time the nords moved in from across the sea and claimed a strip of land along the coast from the Vagiars and swadians. The Kergits invaded from the Steppe and settled, as did the Sarinad empire. The Rhdoks (however its spelt) grew fed up of their swadian overlords and rose up in rebellion and laimed the land they live in. They trained in counter cavalry tactics using the hills to their advantage. they also operate on a democratic state of rule. So the king is supposed to be elected to their position.

at least, its a somewhat summarised version of it anyway.

+ Rhodoks going all "independence and democracy, biatches!" on Swadians, shoving pikes and crossbow bolts up the old nobility arses just to get the old-school monarchy back few years later with Graveth's brilliant political campaign. sneaky edit, hirovard! :wink:

Although, as I've said, I'm pretty sure that NPCs imply Nords being given the northern lands of Empire in exchange of not beating up current equivalent of good guys.

I remembered it after posting and had to get it in before someone added it  :wink:

But yea the nords were either gifted it, or claimed it and was stopped by the vargairs as some rock in the nordic invasion. It varies on which companion in the game says what.

I've not played native campaign in a long time and am just dredging up what I can remember from it :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom