• If you are reporting a bug, please head over to our Technical Support section for Bannerlord.
  • Please note that we've updated the Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord save file system which requires you to take certain steps in order for your save files to be compatible with e1.7.1 and any later updates. You can find the instructions here.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goker

Archduke
WBWF&SNW
A rushed translation for that Merlin'in Kazanı video, for those interested.
Merlin'in Kazanı: Greetings from "Merlin's Cauldron", we're in LA, on the first day of E3. We're starting our interviews with the sponsorship of MSI Gaming Laptop. Our first interview will be out a game hailing from our own country that is very much of interest to people. As you can see in the images behind me, it's Mount&Blade 2: Bannerlord and I have here, next to me, Armağan Yavuz.

MK: Hello Mr. Armağan, how are you?

Armağan Yavuz: Hello, I'm good, thank you.

MK: First off, we're on the first day of E3, this must be a very busy couple of days for you. What are your thoughts on E3?

AY: We're very excited. As gamers would know, we've been working on Bannerlord for a long time with the development team. We've made good preperations and have videos published. We're offering the press to test the game out and experience it themselves.

MK: Yes, we've also tried the game out inside, it is very good. Compared to the first game, there are a lot of differences, with the new shield system, the command system, you've made a lot of changes. Can you give us some general info on what's different?

AY: Of course, in E3 this year we're specifically showing the differences in the combat and battle systems. There are a couple of very important differences to the combat system, one of these would be the directional defence system that shields now have, like swords were able to do in the past iterations. If you defend on the correct direction with your shield, you get extra bonuses, like having your shield last longer or attack your enemy better afterwards. We've also added the ability to do shield bashes, which stuns enemies. Other than that, after making a strike with a sword, pushing the mouse button quickly again can lead to subsequent strikes, without losing momentum.

MK: The shield thing looks great and I think you do that with the "kick" button. Those who played the previous games would know that there was a kick button. When you hold the shield and press the kick button, you can try to hit with the shield. (Perhaps this means the kick is still in place but won't be done when holding the shield up?) I had a bit of a problem with the spear-wielding enemies but it is obviously very useful in close combat. Can we talk a bit about the command system, like can we do the "Crescent tactic" (Pincer Movement)?

AY: (laughing) Yes, you can do that as a commander. We have lots of good features in the command system as well. One of them would be that if you're not the main commander of the battle, the commander can give you command of a small company. You can be given command of the cavalry and be given commands like "strike from the flanks" but you decide what you want to do with your command. Aside from that, we have advanced formations, you can order soldiers to do a single-line or a circle, allowing for more tactical and important decisions to be made.

MK: Yeah, strategy seems to have become an important feature in the game. Lastly, I want to talk about the graphics. Lots of differences there, with helmet tassels moving, etc. I especially liked the desert area, with dust kicking up as soldiers move. What more can you say about the graphics?

AY: About the graphics, yeah, the team has been working a lot on it. Our cloth simulation has developed greatly and can be seen in multiple places, like in flags, horses' manes, and various clothings worn by soldiers, like the tassels on helmets. We try to use them as much as possible. We have very good particle effects, like the dust kicked up by horses in deserts. Pretty much every scene you can see has a couple of little graphical improvements, those little touches.

MK: Lastly, Bannerlord is a highly anticipated game both in our country and globally. You've been developing it for a long while. Any information on the release date, can you tell us how much of the development is done?

AY: We're not giving a release date because we don't necessarily have a date on our own minds either. When it's done, when we're happy with it, we're going to release it. As for how much of it is finished, most of it is currently done.

MK: Can we say that you're doing the finishing touches?

AY: Yeah, we're doing the finishing touches. When we're sure of it, when we're sure that the product won't result in negative feedback from the players, we'll release it.
 
So game is mostly finished , then want to give it in some form by the end of the year but no beta, early acces or release date ? There is only 6 months until end of the year...
 

Arthur_Pendragon

Master Knight
Jesus some of you are riding taleworlds **** a little too hard. yeah we get it they dont owe use anything.
Yet when you have a community that literally made your game successful by working countless hours on mods and improvements to the native game. which By the way i might add brought in so many new players. When have you seen an advertisement campaign for Mount & Blade? never why because us the community spread the word by bringing our friends and and they bringing their friends. By making Youtube videos of battles etc. You cannot deny how involved the community has been in the success that Mount and blade has gained. With that being said. We arent mad that the game wont be playable this year or that they are not giving us the game. Jesus i will wait till 2030 if it means i get a polished game but for crying out loud let your community know what the hell is going on. Inform us dont bait us into thinking the next dev blog is gonna be the next big news. Dont  Hype up an event where your only gonna show 5% new things the remaining 95% we already had seen. like come on people. we just want them to be more transparent.
 

Reus

Sloppy Dabber
Global Moderator
M&BWBNWWF&SVC
Armaury said:
There is only 6 months until end of the year...
Yeah, but if they are indeed just making final touches to the game, 6 months wouldn't be too little time to get it out.
 

Rhugar

Sergeant at Arms
berkyx said:
He says when we equipped the shield character bashing instead of kicking so kicking is still there

Kicking is also very briefly visible in the desert video, as the player is on foot and being chased down by the enemy infantry
 
https://youtu.be/BMeqj8WG0a8?t=3m53s  (Guy on the right :smile:  )
 

creuzet

Sergeant at Arms
@Goker

Thanks. So apparently they are affraid of negative feedbacks at the release so much, that even when they got most of the game done, they will barely release any info, not to mention the game in one shape or another?
 
I think making final touches on a huge game like this can last a year or two... :dead: Creuzet yes and this is weird... they have improve the game a lot since last year for the battle side, but in the same time what others thing they did ? nobody really know ? If they are afraid of negative feedback, its maybe cause of boardgames...

They could say we are finishing it and we plan to release it end of 2018 at worst, and i think that would be better then hope every time...
 

jackalj

Sergeant
Reus said:
Armaury said:
There is only 6 months until end of the year...
Yeah, but if they are indeed just making final touches to the game, 6 months wouldn't be too little time to get it out.

I would also guess that when they do announce a release date, it will actually release shortly after the announcement. If they are truly only need to do the finishing touches.

So hopefully we wont be seeing a situation that we need to wait another 8 months after the announcement.
 
Pretty sure this game will never be released, if their plan is to not have negative feedback they'll be in a constant circle of trying to perfect the game. Speculating it's already been delayed so long for these very reasons. Terrified of people not liking something.


Unfortunately with no communication and vague statements, and taleworlds shows no sign of changing. Just becoming a disappointment
 

Silen

Duke
m1tchell23 said:
Pretty sure this game will never be released, if their plan is to not have negative feedback they'll be in a constant circle of trying to perfect the game. Speculating it's already been delayed so long for these very reasons. Terrified of people not liking something.


Unfortunately with no communication and vague statements, and taleworlds shows no sign of changing. Just becoming a disappointment

Can't achieve the perfect game. It simply doesn't exist, so yes, I'm also afraid they'll just be in an endless circle of "omg scared of people's opinions let's delay more and make it PERFECT".
 

Svang

Sergeant at Arms
Gab-AG. said:
m1tchell23 said:
Pretty sure this game will never be released, if their plan is to not have negative feedback they'll be in a constant circle of trying to perfect the game. Speculating it's already been delayed so long for these very reasons. Terrified of people not liking something.


Unfortunately with no communication and vague statements, and taleworlds shows no sign of changing. Just becoming a disappointment

Can't achieve the perfect game. It simply doesn't exist, so yes, I'm also afraid they'll just be in an endless circle of "omg scared of people's opinions let's delay more and make it PERFECT".

I agree. I have the feeling TW wants to be the anti-Bethesda and make a game where the modders won't have to do the finishing touches. While that is noble it can also be bad for the development process.
 

creuzet

Sergeant at Arms
Even if they achieve perfection there's always people who are going to complain for one reason or another. Also, most people won't go ape**** for a few bugs that can be patched.
 

Phaiak

Knight
WBWF&SNWVC
Gab-AG. said:
1. If you're just finishing details, why letting press ONLY play those demos at E3, and not common people too?
2. If most of the game is done (and playable apparently) and you're just finishing details, then why not a beta like previous games?
 

Silen

Duke
Phaiak said:
Gab-AG. said:
1. If you're just finishing details, why letting press ONLY play those demos at E3, and not common people too?
2. If most of the game is done (and playable apparently) and you're just finishing details, then why not a beta like previous games?

Yes, waiting for that second marshmallow.
 

RoboSenshi

Grandmaster Knight
WBNWVC
Duh said:
To quote Captain Lust prior to his employment:
Frank_TaleWorlds said:
Taleworlds is a company with 20 or so employees. It's not Indie anymore. It really is time for them to get real and start thinking about how they're going to interact with their community. Autistically ignoring us just isn't good enough and they can't hide behind the "Indie" veil when the series has sold a million copies. Mount&Blade 2 is coming and it's going to be one of the big PC releases of the year (whichever year it comes out).
:lol: Wow. Where the hell did you find this? It just reinforces my thought that Frank doesn't actually choose what to show. I think someone else decides what can be shown and Frank has to figure out the best way to show it. Unfortunately, because he's the most visible character, he gets a lot of heat. Poor guy.

Goker said:
The problem the community is facing in this incident seems to be about mismanagement of their expectations, to be honest. A lot of people are complaining about people expecting too much and it being their fault but when the official twitter account of TW keeps talking about the PC Gaming conference and raises expectations, people are bound to feel disappointed when TW underdelivers. If TW had outlined their program for E3 and talked about what people should and should not expect, seeing that 1 or 2 minutes of video would not be that devastating. That video did not seem like something you'd show on the conference floor.

Then again, perhaps TW thought the videos they released after the conference were good and would be enough to meet expectations. I thought they were subpar and completely missed the charm of the game. I wish they had included some of the intrigue before the battle, the background and how the armies came to clash there. The thing about trailers and video footage is that the players, who are normally in control of everything, only get to watch. So you have to treat them like short movies and draw them in, keep them watching by showing who's fighting, what's at stake, etc. Watch any random battle of Rome Total War and then watch a Historical Battle in R:TW. That guy showing units and giving background info creates a ton of interest in me. Bannerlord videos show very shallow tactics and mindless soldiers just chasing each other. Even doing multiple view points of the same battle with a surprise cavalry charge coming from the back, like in the movie Gladiator, would be simply and yet effective.

Jezze said:
I got the impression that the E3 presentation aims to appeal to an audience that is not very familiar with Bannerlord.
I understand wanting the game to market itself but there was a much better way of doing that as well.
Preach!!

Arthur_Pendragon said:
Jesus some of you are riding taleworlds **** a little too hard. yeah we get it they dont owe use anything.
Yet when you have a community that literally made your game successful by working countless hours on mods and improvements to the native game. which By the way i might add brought in so many new players. When have you seen an advertisement campaign for Mount & Blade? never why because us the community spread the word by bringing our friends and and they bringing their friends. By making Youtube videos of battles etc. You cannot deny how involved the community has been in the success that Mount and blade has gained. With that being said. We arent mad that the game wont be playable this year or that they are not giving us the game. Jesus i will wait till 2030 if it means i get a polished game but for crying out loud let your community know what the hell is going on. Inform us dont bait us into thinking the next dev blog is gonna be the next big news. Dont  Hype up an event where your only gonna show 5% new things the remaining 95% we already had seen. like come on people. we just want them to be more transparent.
Also this.
 

Auldman

Knight at Arms
M&BWF&S
Goker said:
A rushed translation for that Merlin'in Kazanı video, for those interested.
Merlin'in Kazanı: Greetings from "Merlin's Cauldron", we're in LA, on the first day of E3. We're starting our interviews with the sponsorship of MSI Gaming Laptop. Our first interview will be out a game hailing from our own country that is very much of interest to people. As you can see in the images behind me, it's Mount&Blade 2: Bannerlord and I have here, next to me, Armağan Yavuz.

MK: Hello Mr. Armağan, how are you?

Armağan Yavuz: Hello, I'm good, thank you.

MK: First off, we're on the first day of E3, this must be a very busy couple of days for you. What are your thoughts on E3?

AY: We're very excited. As gamers would know, we've been working on Bannerlord for a long time with the development team. We've made good preperations and have videos published. We're offering the press to test the game out and experience it themselves.

MK: Yes, we've also tried the game out inside, it is very good. Compared to the first game, there are a lot of differences, with the new shield system, the command system, you've made a lot of changes. Can you give us some general info on what's different?

AY: Of course, in E3 this year we're specifically showing the differences in the combat and battle systems. There are a couple of very important differences to the combat system, one of these would be the directional defence system that shields now have, like swords were able to do in the past iterations. If you defend on the correct direction with your shield, you get extra bonuses, like having your shield last longer or attack your enemy better afterwards. We've also added the ability to do shield bashes, which stuns enemies. Other than that, after making a strike with a sword, pushing the mouse button quickly again can lead to subsequent strikes, without losing momentum.

MK: The shield thing looks great and I think you do that with the "kick" button. Those who played the previous games would know that there was a kick button. When you hold the shield and press the kick button, you can try to hit with the shield. (Perhaps this means the kick is still in place but won't be done when holding the shield up?) I had a bit of a problem with the spear-wielding enemies but it is obviously very useful in close combat. Can we talk a bit about the command system, like can we do the "Crescent tactic" (Pincer Movement)?

AY: (laughing) Yes, you can do that as a commander. We have lots of good features in the command system as well. One of them would be that if you're not the main commander of the battle, the commander can give you command of a small company. You can be given command of the cavalry and be given commands like "strike from the flanks" but you decide what you want to do with your command. Aside from that, we have advanced formations, you can order soldiers to do a single-line or a circle, allowing for more tactical and important decisions to be made.

MK: Yeah, strategy seems to have become an important feature in the game. Lastly, I want to talk about the graphics. Lots of differences there, with helmet tassels moving, etc. I especially liked the desert area, with dust kicking up as soldiers move. What more can you say about the graphics?

AY: About the graphics, yeah, the team has been working a lot on it. Our cloth simulation has developed greatly and can be seen in multiple places, like in flags, horses' manes, and various clothings worn by soldiers, like the tassels on helmets. We try to use them as much as possible. We have very good particle effects, like the dust kicked up by horses in deserts. Pretty much every scene you can see has a couple of little graphical improvements, those little touches.

MK: Lastly, Bannerlord is a highly anticipated game both in our country and globally. You've been developing it for a long while. Any information on the release date, can you tell us how much of the development is done?

AY: We're not giving a release date because we don't necessarily have a date on our own minds either. When it's done, when we're happy with it, we're going to release it. As for how much of it is finished, most of it is currently done.

MK: Can we say that you're doing the finishing touches?

AY: Yeah, we're doing the finishing touches. When we're sure of it, when we're sure that the product won't result in negative feedback from the players, we'll release it.

That is a very interesting reply to the question of when the game is coming out or what state it is currently in.

It's also interesting that we get some of the best information about the game in Turkish and not in a language the majority of players are going to be able to understand. I know Armagan speaks English as I've seen, a rare example myself, him type a response here (albeit years back). This is the kind of information Lust ought to be giving.

I've skimmed through the past half-dozen pages this morning and Goker and Duh are really getting to the heart of the matter: Sure, you'll always have complainers but TW's pr efforts are really subpar for a game company of their size and reputation.

Here's an idea: Just give a release date. "It's coming out November 16th, 2017" and then if you find it has still too many imperfections you can do this perfectly acceptable move (I recall BioWare doing this exact thing for DAI) "Yeah we're sorry we wanted to get the game into your hands in November like we promised but we earnestly feel that if we delay the game to January we'll have a much better product to deliver into players hands." All of that is acceptable but silence,long, long, stretches of silence just leads to bitterness that might harm the game on release. How?

"They took so long making this game and said very little that I bet it's a buggy piece of **** so I will wait for reviews!" I mean there is a valid reason to suspect this game is in trouble because by now you'd have expected just a bit a more to have been shown. I am not saying it is in trouble just saying that their policies could create just such an impression.
 

Styo

Sergeant Knight at Arms
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
I'm confused? If most of the game is completed and they are touching up the final details of the game, then why is there still no Beta testing or early access?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom