Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Lust said:
We did release multiple videos:

1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705at0Pr4fM
2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iObwq1WaxQ8

We also made appearances on a number of shows, gave interviews and spoke relatively openly.
Yeah, you released "multiple videos," but the first one looked a lot like just a shorter cut of the second one, making the first one pretty pointless to watch once the longer one came out. I suppose the long video might also be considered to be that "big chunk of information" that you mentioned? Because, in a couple of the interviews I saw, most of what you talked about, again and again, was the same stuff that we already knew about, like what M&B is or moddability. I've known what M&B is since I was like 11, when the original M&B was one of the first games I owned. IIRC we've known about your intentions to make Bannerlord more moddable than previous M&B games since that interview with Singil years ago, that was one of the first bits of info we got about Bannerlord. I appreciate the seeing how sieges are going to work, don't get me wrong. However, I think you could've done better, and I don't think I'm the only one with that opinion.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/mountandblade/images/a/ae/Bannerlord_Map.png/revision/latest?cb=20160308205931

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/ckx3bnnr70isqj6q8ea8.jpg

Look how similar they are. LOTR modders wont even have to create a new map.

Arvenski said:
Captain Lust said:
We did release multiple videos:

1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705at0Pr4fM
2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iObwq1WaxQ8

We also made appearances on a number of shows, gave interviews and spoke relatively openly.
Yeah, you released "multiple videos," but the first one looked a lot like just a shorter cut of the second one, making the first one pretty pointless to watch once the longer one came out. I suppose the long video might also be considered to be that "big chunk of information" that you mentioned? Because, in a couple of the interviews I saw, most of what you talked about, again and again, was the same stuff that we already knew about, like what M&B is or moddability. I've known what M&B is since I was like 11, when the original M&B was one of the first games I owned. IIRC we've known about your intentions to make Bannerlord more moddable than previous M&B games since that interview with Singil years ago, that was one of the first bits of info we got about Bannerlord. I appreciate the seeing how sieges are going to work, don't get me wrong. However, I think you could've done better, and I don't think I'm the only one with that opinion.

If you look at the comments of the articles there are a lot of people who didn't know about the moddability or even Bannerlord itself. TaleWorlds has more people to reach than just us forum lurkers. E3 was great publicity for them and they had to make a great first impression with new fans. TaleWorlds can share information with their forum lurkers whenever they want, getting to go to E3 is a big deal and they made good use of it. Plus we saw an awesome ass siege!!  :facepalm:

What they've done with sieges is great, but I would like to see slightly different scenarios some of the time, in addition to the standard assault option. For instance, perhaps you could build catapults on the world map and order them to bombard the walls without going to the battle map. After a few weeks of bombardment (remember that time passes faster in Bannerlord, so three weeks would feel more like five days in Warband), you get the message that the walls have been breached. You then enter a scene with a breach in part of the castle walls; a steep rubble pile to cross, on the other side of which the enemy have some infantry waiting.

If you delay going to the battle scene for whatever reason, the defenders start to make internal defences. For example, perhaps you will be able to leave companions in charge of a siege whilst you patrol with a small group of cavalry or leave the area to feast with a fellow lord. You receive a message telling you of the breach, and are prompted to give instructions to the companion- assault the castle (auto-calc, taking into account the greatly reduced defensive strength of the castle), lift the siege (obviously you wouldn't want to do that in most cases but who knows) or wait for the player to return and take charge.

Let's say you choose the third option, and reach the castle three days after the breach was made. This time when you go into the battle scene, although the breach is still there, once you have crossed the rubble pile you find the defenders have dug a shallow pit/trench immediately inside the wall and raised a low parapet around its far edge, made from the broken stone wall and anything else they can lay their hands on, such as carts and spare timber in the castle stores. You and your troops would then have to break these wooden parts of the parapet or clamber over the low stone sections with the space bar, all the while being stabbed and shot with arrows.

The positioning of the AI and the makeshift defences shouldn't be a problem, since there could be a pre-selected section of wall where this breach can occur for each castle. This would obviously take a lot of time to do though; they would have to make a version of every single castle with a breach, plus another version with the makeshift defences.

The alternative to this would be making all walls completely destructible within the battle scene, so that breaches could be made dynamically. I don't think they have done this though, since they would surely have shown it at E3. From a realism standpoint one could say the walls were already battered for days on the world map, so were ready to fall in the scene, so that shouldn't be a problem. But getting the AI to understand that a dynamically created opening is an access point they need to defend (in the same way that a ladder or siege tower position is) might be a problem. But what might be the real issue is gameplay. It would be possible to do strange things like trap the AI on a section of wall by taking a few feet off the battlements to either side of them, leaving the AI there stranded. That sort of thing might be amusing for a few minutes but would really break the balance and immersion. It is fine for the crenellations to be destroyed because that provides a modest advantage, taking away the hiding place of defenders without rendering them useless in the defence of the castle.

Another possible scene would be a night sally by the defenders, trying to burn your siege engines before you put them to use. You would go into a battle scene (or auto-calc it) and have to run a short way through tent lines to help the few guards who are trying to stop the enemy burning the engines, killing or driving them all off. You would only have a few men with you because most of the army would be asleep and not able to be woken and armed in time. This serves also to make the scene a nice change of pace, a novelty among the normal gameplay, a bit like the bandits ambushing you in the early morning in Warband towns. The number of engines set alight and the time they were burning would then be used to calculate how many days you are set back before you can make an assault with this equipment.

Yeah, I hoped siege engines would be made in such way that breaking the walls would happen off-screen if you'd be willing to wait. I already voiced my opinion that cleaning out the walls with catapults and whatnot ain't looking that great in game that can be so focused on single soldier like M&B, but at least it looks like AI won't be standing in walls getting picked off at least.

I guess we will see how it plays out, it looks pretty interesting anyway. Much more exciting news than the speed-up of time passage.

Do not look here said:
Yeah, I hoped siege engines would be made in such way that breaking the walls would happen off-screen if you'd be willing to wai

its both. On the video they mention damage caused by the long siege, and we also saw minor damage done on the assault itself

If anything, I would like to see more persistence for some events.
Let's take routed enemies. In Warband, they are scripted to run towards a friendly castle, but it looks like they don't actually reinforce the garrison. They just disappear, so it doesn't matter whether you catch them down or not. This needs to change. For bandits, any of them who manage to rout towards a town should most likely increase the crime rate.
Also, I really hope that the castle is coupled with its village in one single scene, along with the other improvements. That would be very immersive.

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-of-e3-2016-awards/  (Bannerlord one of the best 10)

"You can even blow a huge hole in the castle wall during the pre-siege ‘bombardment’ phase. These enhancements aren’t window dressing: when you snipe a castle defender who’s about to hurl a jug of fire at you, the ensuing ragdoll might cause both them and the grenade to tumble off the wall, wounding some of your men"

Hmm.

Lighter32145 said:
I have to ask what kind of gaming laptop could I get to play this game? I'm willing to spent in between 1500-1900

I'm pretty sure you can buy a high-end with that budget. If you still want to make compromise, you may go with an AMD build, which is much cheaper than the Intel+Nvidia counterparts, while offering more or less the same result. If you want a more thorough analysis on the AMD-Intel performance differences, you may look on the internet and make a conclusion for yourself.

Also, keep in mind that the developers have stated that they don't want to make Bannerlord too demanding for most people out here.

Lighter32145 said:
I have to ask what kind of gaming laptop could I get to play this game? I'm willing to spent in between 1500-1900
Depends on what currency that is.
If it's $ you can get a mid-/high-end rig.
If it's € you can get a high-end rig.
If it's £ you can get a banana at the fruit stand.

Adorno said:
If it's £ you can get a banana at the fruit stand.
:lol: And if it's in Indian rupees, you could get a supercomputer, amirite?

Lighter32145 said:
Why don't you wait 'till they announce the system requirements? Then you'll know what to look for.

Yes, wait for the requirement. But basicaly, with your budget, you can make a desktop with GTX970/1070 and i7 4790K, or any AMD equivalent, which will make Bannerlord surely work with max setting. Forget the foolish laptop, that inferior kind of computer.

I hate laptops with a non justifiable passion
It's overpriced/under-permormant, non customisable, easy to break, the screen is a pain to fix. Get a 300€ laptop for studies, buy a 1500€ desktop beast to play the allmighty Bannerlord. Don't you dare alt-F4-ragequit on a laptop, by fear of breaking the plaspoop keeboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom