Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only 2 problems with the campaign right now is that the banners are so tiny, you have to really zoom in to see who's banner it is, the bigger fancy banner in the Original game and Warband is what i used to identify lords when we were running in big packs and the enemy might be there which causes a chaos of back and forth movements and also this is Bannerlord we need to have big fancy banners. The other problem is that all the towns and villages are so damn close to eachother, seem like there won't really be any travel time to go to a nearby city and would make it impossible to even attack enemy lords in their territory as they would always have a castle or anything within 5 meters of them to run into :S

uzo70 said:
My only 2 problems with the campaign right now is that the banners are so tiny, you have to really zoom in to see who's banner it is, the bigger fancy banner in the Original game and Warband is what i used to identify lords when we were running in big packs and the enemy might be there which causes a chaos of back and forth movements and also this is Bannerlord we need to have big fancy banners. The other problem is that all the towns and villages are so damn close to eachother, seem like there won't really be any travel time to go to a nearby city and would make it impossible to even attack enemy lords in their territory as they would always have a castle or anything within 5 meters of them to run into :S
But there won't really be many castles. Unless they'll build a castle in a village there won't be any. And building a castle takes time, and resources.

Mervieg said:
uzo70 said:
But there won't really be many castles. Unless they'll build a castle in a village there won't be any. And building a castle takes time, and resources.
Your are right on that, just late game that is worrying if there is going to be castles everywhere :S

uzo70 said:
Mervieg said:
uzo70 said:
Your are right on that, just late game that is worrying if there is going to be castles everywhere :S
I doubt that everyone will be able or just want to build a castle, but we'll see.

Just like historical medieval. At the end of this period, castle were everywhere.

Concerning the siege video, I have three observations:
  • Walls should be stronger. A single vase shot should not destroy a stone-made parapet.
  • Interiors should be much darker.
  • It seems that they removed that sound when you hit your target with an arrow or bolt. I hope it is not definitive.

If the walls were realistically strong, then it would take at the least hours to break chunks off and probably days. Though the fire pots probably shouldn't damage the wall as a large rock would. The sound of hitting a target probably couldn't be heard over the noise of all the fighting or the music. It's a very subtle sound and I've never heard it in any M&B video; I can't imagine they would dispense with this useful little feature.

Meevar the Mighty said:
DanAngleland said:
reiksmarshal said:
I would like to believe yes there will be naval warefare, but at the same time we can't even get a dude in the ranks holding a banner.

Is this thing about someone holding a banner a joke, or were you actually expecting it to be a feature of the game based on the title containing the word banner? You keep repeating it as if you are annoyed that it isn't in. As far as I know the title refers to some sort of status or rank in medieval times; I vaguely remember Taleworlds saying something like that years ago.

EDIT: I found an explanation of it in this thread by a Turkish person; apparently it is a translation of a Turkish title:

"In Turkish it can be translated as Sancak Beyi, which was at old times meant Governor-General of big provinces"

So it doesn't mean there should be banners in the game!

All across medieval Eurasia, troops were raised under some sort of standard or ensign. I'm sure the Turkish title is derived from the practice.

640px-Albrecht_Altdorfer_044.jpg

5SC3d.png

Narlan said:
I have a serious suggestions for Bannerlord.

persistant face generation

In Warband, when a soldier is generated in a battle, his face is also randomly generated. For exemple, if you have only one soldier, one battle after another, he won't be the same guy and won't have the same equipment. Only lords have persistents faces and gear. This is not significant in a big armies, but that would be nice to save the faces of soldiers as soon that they are recruted. That way, even in a big army, it increases the feeling of consistency everytime you notice the face of a knight you recruted as a peasant. It would make the feeling of having an army made of real character more authentic.

Even better (and obviously sad), it would give a real sense of drama if you find that knight lying dead on the battle field. The must of the must would to have persistent soldiers, with persistent gears. I obviously don't know if they have already implemented this in Bannerlord, but in case, I suggest.

This is in the original M&B but was taken out of Warband for some reason. I agree, it's a great feature.

Mamlaz said:
Dest45 said:
Plus every other medieval game is showing off their crappy "new" "innovative" combat which is actually based of M&B's.

IMO, the only game that is showing a better combat system being developed on its own is Mordhau.

Good luck with that. I understand it's being built by disgruntled Chivalry players, so the foundation might be a bit boggy. I think it's great that they're doing directional thrusts, which I've been advocating for M&B for years, but other stuff, such as turning limitation, looks kind of wonky/anti-competitive to me.

I am a bit disappointed that animated banners carried by troops on the battlefield haven't made it to Mount & Blade yet. We have them in Napoleonic Wars and in many mods, this should be a core feature of any Medieval themed game that tries to simulate warfare during this period because they are props of the period. I love how the block of infantry looked in the Siege video and they would look even better if there were a few banners blowing in the wind popping up out of the ranks.   

lIYz8U2.jpg

kingdom-of-heaven-dc-bd-dts-1080p-2005_mkv-00004.jpg

FAEAFB6AB24830FF827A029A7E76EB79AEE90DCC

battle-of-swiecino-or-schwetz-for-medieval-warfare-magazine-german-teutonic-knights-faced-lipka-tatars-and-poles-again-in-1642.jpg

I'm very disappointed that the Sturgians seem to be generic vikings. Concept art suggested earlier they'd be the predecessors of the Vaegir, but that doesn't seem to be the case, they instead seem to be the predecessors of the Nords. Not that there can't be good looking design to viking/norsemen inspired factions, but honestly there's been just so much of that lately in gaming and pop culture in general, I would've prefered for them to be slavic in theme instead.

Androme1 said:
I'm very disappointed that the Sturgians seem to be generic vikings. Concept art suggested earlier they'd be the predecessors of the Vaegir, but that doesn't seem to be the case, they instead seem to be the predecessors of the Nords. Not that there can't be good looking design to viking/norsemen inspired factions, but honestly there's been just so much of that lately in gaming and pop culture in general, I would've prefered for them to be slavic in theme instead.
YES! YES! FINALLY!
That's EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT!
Are we twins?
But yea, I hoped they'd be more slavic...ffs.

Androme1 said:
Q: Frank please, this is important. There's been an unhealthy amount of debate over whether Sturgians are Vikings, Slavs or something in between like Kievan Rus. Can you please settle the matter once and for all?

A: Something in between is about right but the way I see it, it's not only between but also a bit of both. So there are really strong influences from both cultures and you still have very Nordic, Viking style huscarls etc.
They're a very cool faction and it'll be great to show them off more, perhaps when we reveal siege :wink:.
source

Edit: Just saw This article and I noticed something interesting:
Aside from that, the battle themselves between troops seems greatly improved. For one, weather will affect the effectiveness for your troops; for example, if it is all wet and muddy, troops will slip when they run and things like that.

Edit Edit: This article has been updated:
http://www.pcgamesn.com/mount-blade-ii-bannerlord/mount-and-blade-2-mods
"When we said that we will reveal the source code for the engine, that was actually incorrect," explains Elliot. "We are releasing our own tools, that we use internally for development but not the engine source. We are releasing a lot of scripting code that modders can get their hands on and change, in addition to providing a load of parameters which means they can tweak core parts of the game but not access the engine code directly.

"This means that, for instance, mounts can be changed, modders can add different skeletons for things like camels and elephants if they like. There is a whole load of extra modding capability of this sort which is expanded from the previous engine we used in Warband as well."

That makes a lot more sense. After all, the engine is a big thing and releasing it willy-nilly doesn't sound like a good business decision.
Still, I'm pretty hopeful for some .NET-related interop that might be possible. Mmmmm... Can't wait.

DanAngleland said:
In what way are they particularly Nordic as opposed to Slavic, and how are they different from the concept art? They certainly have a lot of lamellar-wearing troops

The helmets used by most of the characters depicted in the concept art are helmet designs that were never used by scandinavians. That said, there were some characters in the same picture that did use helmets designed after equipment the vikings used, including round shields with patterns found amongst vikings. Initially everything pointed towards either the Sturgians being the predecessors of the Vaegirs, or some sort of blend between the two. But during the siege demonstration video, everything hints towards pure generic viking faction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom