Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...about those upstabs...

Please tell me TW havn't overlooked the need for more than one direction when using a shield + spear.

Alebrig said:
Cookie Muncher said:
Would be an interesting aspect, but no information on that so far.
Well it would be weird to flesh out the lore without adding religions so i figure there has to be something like it in the game. Could be really cool to join one and become a zealot.

Realigion is a personal thing and far too nebulous to properly simulate.

IF you want fantaical zeal, just roleplay.

Pick a medieval chrisitan-looking faction and remove kebab.
Or play as arab-inspired faction and go all alahuakbar.

Cookie Muncher said:
rariisan said:
I'm 99% sure we'll be able to mod co-op into Bonerlord.
Why?

Because we already have a "co-op" mod in Warband, and they said that they've built the engine specially for modding, so I think it's a safe bet. Also to be fair, I should've said 'some sort of co-op' and not full 'co-op' in my initial post.

mike.oconnor96 said:
I really hope they start releasing information about the game faster now that it HAS to be nearing completion...

True. We should be getting info about sieges "very, very, very very very very very very very very very soon".

TrashMan said:

It mostly is nowadays, but before the age of douchebag individualism, religious identity took the place of modern nationalism, at least in places where there were multiple religions present. The crusades are a good example of this because you have muslims and eastern orthodox christians living under catholic rulers, and for most of the period the main social struggle is how the catholics can keep all three groups happy. Before Zengi and Saladin it was even more of a danger to the crusaders than the muslims outside their kingdoms.

Balancing internal social politics like that would be an interesting way of making settlement management more varied. In warband the only thing you get from a different "culture" is the type of troops you recruit, which is boring. I want to build syncretic temples and exempt dhimmis from tax, dammit.

Vezaith said:
So...about those upstabs...

Please tell me TW havn't overlooked the need for more than one direction when using a shield + spear.

I do hope there is an overhead stab for spears when using shields. As it stands in singleplayer I always work away from getting troops who use spear/shields. Quite honestly shielded footman with throwing weapons fare better against cav overall, and they also mop the floor with infantry units. Spear/Shields in Warband AI make them very niche and completely unable to fill the role of a foot soldier compared to others because even with formations people hug each other, which for the enemy is good, but in formation fighting they do not act properly to fix the issue.

In Multiplayer spear/shield is one of my favorite playstyles simply because people so heavily underestimate you that you can do your job perfectly. You stay on the edge of fights or right behind your front troops and stab at weakened enemies to finish them off, stab an enemy who is busy blocking some 2 hander, or use your stab as a "crowd control" tool to give a mini-stun for your teammates to take down really strong targets. A player can chamber/block as good as he wants, but if you get in a good stab-stun he's completely vulnerable for an instant.

In SP: Needs help being viable enough to still work in formations and spearman AI trying to get distance
In MP: The extra direction would help immensely, and while it still would be a more support/defensive build it would have more use. Both as a Cav stopper and as a frontline support soldier blocking arrows for your 2h friends while creating openings for your other teammates.

People are insisting in Co-op in this game. Look, guys, if we had this, the developers would talk about sooner, for it is a great way to merchandise. Everyone would love this improvement, but it is not going to happen in the native game!

joei160. said:
People are insisting in Co-op in this game. Look, guys, if we had this, the developers would talk about sooner, for it is a great way to merchandise. Everyone would love this improvement, but it is not going to happen in the native game!

Or maybe they have not yet managed to implement it well enough to know if the feature is going to be in the final release, so they won't speak about it. All we can say now for sure is that we don't know.

joei160. said:

I enjoy reading all the ways it could work :razz: (plus we can dream!)

jacobhinds said:
TrashMan said:

It mostly is nowadays, but before the age of douchebag individualism, religious identity took the place of modern nationalism, at least in places where there were multiple religions present. The crusades are a good example of this because you have muslims and eastern orthodox christians living under catholic rulers, and for most of the period the main social struggle is how the catholics can keep all three groups happy. Before Zengi and Saladin it was even more of a danger to the crusaders than the muslims outside their kingdoms.

Balancing internal social politics like that would be an interesting way of making settlement management more varied. In warband the only thing you get from a different "culture" is the type of troops you recruit, which is boring. I want to build syncretic temples and exempt dhimmis from tax, dammit.

To add, within Europe it became a international political institution that both held back and supported state powers. It was a non-state actor that checked the power of states, by in turn providing those states with legitimacy.  Currently in game that mechanic is renown, the greater renown one has in M&B the more legitimate your claim. However renown really only functions within a tribal or military society. Medieval Europe didn't quite function as a might makes right system and was much more interesting for it. It's thus that in games like CKII you have things like a Casus Belli and otherwise christian lords cannot declare law.

That's a bit why M&B single player ends up feeling like a sisyphean slog, because lords will always declare war when they feel they have the resources to do so. Sounds like economy will be a major constraint on war in BL, so maybe that will suffice. Still I don't see why BL can't have a religious system without it being controversial and it has a lot of potential to make for interesting mechanics as long as it doesn't dominate the dialogue.

I agree. Renown was a bit counterintuitive in that you could get more of it by grinding battles, which every lord is capable of doing but chooses not to. The player has almost nothing to lose by engaging in aggressive genocidal wars across calradia, and no matter how much of a danger you are to the very fabric of society there will always be lords that love you because you once let a few lords go free early after massacring their entire army and destroying their villages for no reasons. Feels a bit silly in lategame.

joei160. said:

We only heard about the possibility of lord death at Gamescom (afaik), which was after years of development, and it wasn't even confirmed until now. That's a pretty big feature which I've heard plenty of folk ask for over the years.

Taking that into account it's rather hard to confidently say all features are set in stone. Coop is unlikely, but there's hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom