Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 9 - Ethnic Instruments

Users who are viewing this thread

<p><em>Hello all! This time around we're bringing you an externally written blog, by the team working on the music for Bannerlord. There are samples from the soundtrack and some detail about what went into creating the authentic feel for the game's OST!</em></p>
<p><strong>Finn Seliger, <a href="http://www.periscopestudio.de" target="_blank">Periscope Studio</a></strong> - With the soundtrack of Mount & Blade 2 one of our main goals was to create a characteristic music piece for each faction – a kind of hymn – that should reflect the faction in terms of culture and attitude.</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/11

Orion said:
You want a broken game? That's how you get a broken game.

I would have to agree also I found this -

http://games.on.net/2015/03/mount-blade-2-bannerlord-says-they-have-a-console-release-in-mind/

HeadClot said:
Orion said:
You want a broken game? That's how you get a broken game.

I would have to agree also I found this -

http://games.on.net/2015/03/mount-blade-2-bannerlord-says-they-have-a-console-release-in-mind/

hope they dont mess with the controlls and stuff :O
i dont have a consol but i hope it doesnt effekt the pc version. its good that they have seperate teams on it!

Dat Sturgia

8doGeYD.png

My opinion, leave the original versions and stop spoiling the music with ugly effects! The realistic feeling itself provides ambience! If we want to go to hollywood we can watch those epic movies... If you really wanna throw money at the problem, just hire Jordi Savall!

Most of the scarce games that actually manage to stick with their own or historical authenticity, like some Paradox Titles, manage to keep their players and expand. Don't make the same mistakes as the Total War series and sell yourselves out. Having said this and with all respect I have for Paradox Titles, I congratulate Taleworlds for following their own path, their own identity and authenticity.

However, by adding this "epicness" thingy you're really changing exactly what should not be changed: the uniqueness and realism of each cultural piece. If you prefer, call it mastering, westernizing or whatever, but why even bother with all this trouble of putting the ethic feel into it, if you're just gonna ruin it immediately afterwards?! I mean, be rational for a second and think about it. Why toil and sweat to build your own solid castle and immediately tear it down to make it look the same as every other castle? o_O

cucas said:
My opinion, leave the original versions and stop spoiling the music with ugly effects! The realistic feeling itself provides ambience! If we want to go to hollywood we can watch those epic movies... If you really wanna throw money at the problem, just hire Jordi Savall!

Most of the scarce games that actually manage to stick with their own or historical authenticity, like some Paradox Titles, manage to keep their players and expand. Don't make the same mistakes as the Total War series and sell yourselves out. Having said this and with all respect I have for Paradox Titles, I congratulate Taleworlds for following their own path, their own identity and authenticity.

However, by adding this "epicness" thingy you're really changing exactly what should not be changed: the uniqueness and realism of each cultural piece. If you prefer, call it mastering, westernizing or whatever, but why even bother with all this trouble of putting the ethic feel into it, if you're just gonna ruin it immediately afterwards?! I mean, be rational for a second and think about it. Why toil and sweat to build your own solid castle and immediately tear it down to make it look the same as every other castle? o_O

Because every other castle on the beach is alot more breathtaking and cooler than your single-scoop bucket castle.

zmogusnr1 said:
cucas said:

Because every other castle on the beach is alot more breathtaking and cooler than your single-scoop bucket castle.

I beg to differ. I find M&B a lot cooler and more breathtaking that other titles. Although M&B obviously lacks a lot in many fields, no game has ever managed to even start grasping Action, RPG and Strategy elements the way Taleworlds managed in it's unique way and I figure it will only get better, not worse.

Anyway, why are you even here? Go play in another one of those breathtaking castles you speak of! ;p

The music is important indeed for settingling in the atmosphere such as heoric music during battletime, melancholic or relaxing music while in a tavern. However I think it's more important for the sounds themselves to make for the atmosphere, in the sense that if the music was turned off one could still find themselves immersed in the cries of battle, moans of the dying and clashes of steel. So yeah, music should pretty much come in last, there's a lot of more important stuff to do first.

nice tunes brah. I like does ssweett melodies that come from the instruments you played and were nice jjjjjjjjbgjhmb mhjb yah :fruity: :iamamoron: :ohdear: :party: :oops: :lol: :razz: :cool: :neutral:
:iamamoron: :facepalm: :dead:

Mithras said:
Have those composers ever heard of 'less is more'? I'd much more appreciate some subtle, ethnic sounds in the background, rather than these bombastic modern compositions with a few ethnic instruments mixed in.

I hope the rest of the game won't follow this 'throw more money at it and it'll be good' principle. Just put the effort in the right area's please, like NPC AI.
you, sir have a great quantity of alcohool in your blood. The music was perfect and i could feel the M&B factions in all of them.

No matter how much I love the music in a game I will usually turn it off completely at some point. The repetition can become tiresome eventually even though the music is good.

One notable exception is the Kenshi work in progress. The system that Kole Hicks is using to create music lets the game add some variety to the music by layering and randomizing mixes. Essentially the game itself becomes a DJ using samples provided. This makes the music much more tolerable to listen to for days on end.

https://youtu.be/NoKVHOf8Zpg

If you could add anything like this even for just certain scenes I think it would really help. Obviously for Bannerlord different sound elements would be chosen to match the feel of this game. Perhaps it could be more orchestral instead of atmospheric like the music in Kenshi.

Me- until I went back to listen to it attentively just now, I never knew there was throat singing in the background! This is just an excerpt from the theme for each faction though, so in other pieces the singing may be more prominent. Here it provides a backing for the music; perhaps they didn't want it to stand out as a distinct sound like that of the instruments.

Well done lads Sounds great and amazing effort big well done!!!!!!!!! :grin:, Sounds like you guys have a really good team and can not wait to here it in the game, big fan of your work!!!

KhergitLancer80 said:
Who else thinks throat singing at the background of Khuzait music is barely hearable ?
That's what I thought. I didn't even realize it was there the first time I listened to it, since it's so silent it's barely noticeable. :lol:

Very nice, I hope the tracks are longer than the warband ones, seem to remember turning the music off after a while due to the repetitiveness

No matter how much music there is or how long the tracks are, it's going to get repetitive eventually. Some soundtracks stay fresh because they're ambient, like simcity 3&4 and the Rome 2 campaign music, but anything involving chord progressions or melodies gets old reeeeeal fast.

Imagine listening to a hiphop album fifty times in a row verses listening to Mozart fifty times in a row. Mozart sucks but after fifty listens the suckiness doesn't increase much.

Back
Top Bottom