Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 9 - Ethnic Instruments

Users who are viewing this thread

<p><em>Hello all! This time around we're bringing you an externally written blog, by the team working on the music for Bannerlord. There are samples from the soundtrack and some detail about what went into creating the authentic feel for the game's OST!</em></p>
<p><strong>Finn Seliger, <a href="http://www.periscopestudio.de" target="_blank">Periscope Studio</a></strong> - With the soundtrack of Mount & Blade 2 one of our main goals was to create a characteristic music piece for each faction – a kind of hymn – that should reflect the faction in terms of culture and attitude.</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/11

jacobhinds said:
No matter how much music there is or how long the tracks are, it's going to get repetitive eventually. Some soundtracks stay fresh because they're ambient, like simcity 3&4 and the Rome 2 campaign music, but anything involving chord progressions or melodies gets old reeeeeal fast.

Imagine listening to a hiphop album fifty times in a row verses listening to Mozart fifty times in a row. Mozart sucks but after fifty listens the suckiness doesn't increase much.

Well I like classical music so we will probably have differing opinions but I can say that part of the appeal of classical music is the complex melodies and variations on a common theme/melody which means it doesn't get repetitive but is still enjoyable as there is a thread running through the music (e.g. bach's cello suites). This is especially true if its backround music as well.

I like classical music as well, but the way it's usually written (theme and variation for 10+ minutes) makes it unintrusive in a video game. That's sometimes good and sometimes bad, but for the most part it's good for situations where there's no action.

I'm a huge hiphop fan as well but I understand that having bombastic Wale music accompanying every battle would be extremely intrusive, and probably make me laugh out loud.

jacobhinds said:
I like classical music as well, but the way it's usually written (theme and variation for 10+ minutes) makes it unintrusive in a video game. That's sometimes good and sometimes bad, but for the most part it's good for situations where there's no action.

I'm a huge hiphop fan as well but I understand that having bombastic Wale music accompanying every battle would be extremely intrusive, and probably make me laugh out loud.

Exactly I think that sort of classical music would work well for the overview map parts.

And yeah somehow I think hiphop might ruin the ambiance somewhat haha

I hope the whole soundtrack is longer than 2 hours.
And about classical music I thing it is a bad idea...In my opinion there must be 2 types of music in the game one is slow, ethnic , melancholic like age of empires musics which should be used while on world map , managing cities, walking on cities , talking people and the second type should be epic , ethnic and fast just like Khuzait music and Total war musics especially like hunnic ones in TW:A

From what I see i thing they thing  like me.

BTW PLEASE MAKE THROAT SINGING LOUDER IN KHUZAITS WE CANT HEAR IT AND I KNOW CAPS LOCK DOESNT SOLVE ANYTHING!!!!!

I have great hopes for bannerlord.

But music-wise, please please don't follow the trend of most games these days and have music playing continuously. Think atmosphere: Birds chirruping, branches creaking, flags flapping, soldier's trudging through the mud, horses whinneying, swords clashing, warcries bellowing (and not that godawful racket from the soldiers shouting in warband mount and blade that would force me to turn off the sound), or wounded screaming, and all followed by the calm after the storm as the battlefield settles into silence.

So of course the devs are adding music, and the clips sounded epic, but don't waste all that hard work!! Use it as a tool to ADD to the atmosphere - not overwhelm it. Play a song, then have a break of 3-4 minutes of no music, then play a different song. Or put songs on triggers on certain events, i.e. first encounter with faction/ entering city for first time/ entering inn/ meeting a king. Make us look forward to the rare event where that epic tune is suddenly and unexpectedly played.

I beg you, don't just make a playlist and put it on repeat with the best song playing over and over. Don't make one or two songs and play them in every battle. Such an approach (adopted by too many, quite frankly lazy, game devs) is intrinsically flawed. Common sense says you don't stick 10 tracks on repeat. You get sick of it after an hour.  Even with a playlist of 'only' 50 songs (for example on an ipod, as rarely do games have that many, GTA excluded) you get sick of even that many pretty quickly, a week or two tops. You will get exhausted of even chart number 1's after hearing it 30 times in a day or two... Music then gets muted.

It can be done well. Many examples come to mind, but first to mind is skyrim's dovahkin music - despite the huge amount of work and full orchestra involvement - this was really only ever played on menu screen (and possibly rare boss battles at the end adding to the sense of epicness of the fight when you heard it). It won awards for a reason.

And don't just ignore/chuck out those tester single instrument pieces. Why not use them for a random musician in a village square, or an inn, a bard practising or messing around. Loads of atmosphere for little effort. It's instant injection of character and soul to a village.

Apologies if I laboured the point, but I would really love Bannerlords to be great!

Smorkin said:

But music-wise, please please don't follow the trend of most games these days and have music playing continuously. Think atmosphere: Birds chirruping, branches creaking, flags flapping, soldier's trudging through the mud, horses whinneying, swords clashing, warcries bellowing (and not that godawful racket from the soldiers shouting in warband mount and blade that would force me to turn off the sound), or wounded screaming, and all followed by the calm after the storm as the battlefield settles into silence.

Well I agree everything but orchestra in Bannerlord ? No, thanks.I would go with more cultural instruments mixed with some modern instruments.

Example:Age of empires 2 and age of mythology soundtrack also Total War Attila especially hunnic theme.

So of course the devs are adding music, and the clips sounded epic, but don't waste all that hard work!! Use it as a tool to ADD to the atmosphere - not overwhelm it. Play a song, then have a break of 3-4 minutes of no music, then play a different song. Or put songs on triggers on certain events, i.e. first encounter with faction/ entering city for first time/ entering inn/ meeting a king. Make us look forward to the rare event where that epic tune is suddenly and unexpectedly played.

I beg you, don't just make a playlist and put it on repeat with the best song playing over and over. Don't make one or two songs and play them in every battle. Such an approach (adopted by too many, quite frankly lazy, game devs) is intrinsically flawed. Common sense says you don't stick 10 tracks on repeat. You get sick of it after an hour.  Even with a playlist of 'only' 50 songs (for example on an ipod, as rarely do games have that many, GTA excluded) you get sick of even that many pretty quickly, a week or two tops. You will get exhausted of even chart number 1's after hearing it 30 times in a day or two... Music then gets muted.

It can be done well. Many examples come to mind, but first to mind is skyrim's dovahkin music - despite the huge amount of work and full orchestra involvement - this was really only ever played on menu screen (and possibly rare boss battles at the end adding to the sense of epicness of the fight when you heard it). It won awards for a reason.

And don't just ignore/chuck out those tester single instrument pieces. Why not use them for a random musician in a village square, or an inn, a bard practising or messing around. Loads of atmosphere for little effort. It's instant injection of character and soul to a village.

Apologies if I laboured the point, but I would really love Bannerlords to be great!

Let the game compose its own pieces of music on the fly. You can help it out by providing good samples to work from and some guidelines.

Smorkin said:

Well I agree everything but orchestra in Bannerlord ? No, thanks.I would go with more cultural instruments mixed with some modern instruments.

Example:Age of empires 2 and age of mythology soundtrack also Total War Attila especially hunnic theme.

I Agree :smile:

Smorkin said:

This guy.

I want Turkic Music like this for Khuzaits.

This for Battles!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpidpwTCd9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1FVD0fGNBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DogDpfjMWMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF7Nn69g3H8
This when i chill in the city!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl8JYi_ZwBw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsVzm-rgS-w

Smorkin said:

+1

White Lion said:
Smorkin said:

+1

+2

AmateurHetman said:
White Lion said:
Smorkin said:

+1

+2
+3

lolbash said:
AmateurHetman said:
White Lion said:
Smorkin said:

+1

+2
+3
+4

Rice lover said:
lolbash said:
AmateurHetman said:
White Lion said:
Smorkin said:

+1

+2
+3
+4

+5

Back
Top Bottom