Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 7 - Imperial Declines

Users who are viewing this thread

Damn, I wish everyone had access to secret GMK devblog, where they say about features such as factions now divided into clans, new unique parties of outlaws and mercenaries or new series of quests that will be now introducing players to Calradia.

Unfortunately, they've decided to only show the public two screenies and list of faction names with short history/fantasy lesson.

Aaaand ninja'd. Should predict that.

I don't understand how people get angry about something they haven't paid for and TaleWorlds actually has no obligation (to us consumers anyway) to deliver. I remember when you wouldn't actually know a game was coming out until it was on the shelf. For a long time later you would generally see one preview of a game and the next you saw of it was a review.

These days we are so spoilt with Games Conferences with early builds for press, Early Access versions to play during development and free access weekends of Steam after release. It's too easy for some to forget that these things are all privileges, not rights!

I'm still happily enjoying playing Warband (albeit with a ACOK mod as it combines most of the best mods created, like diplomacy and Pre-Battle orders) and I only hope that WHEN Bannerlord comes out I get half as much out of it as I have Warband :smile:

Its not like they dont know that the most reasons that people are playing mb, is because of ye mods. Nobody really cares about naive (asside from mp), and plays more advanced modded native versions like nova aetas, red wars or floris pack. Lets not even talk about 1860 or acok. Yhe devs know that mod fanbase is goinbto be just as huge as warband. So they are also providing countless days just to make it mod frindly. Thats also one of the reasons its taking so long to make - making nonmaking complex game mechanics, thats probably hard coded, sof coded and easily modified. Its quite difficult to do, if theres no altetnate way to do this if it was single shot done. They need to figure out then another way how to the excact same thing again, but differently and easier.

Matiss_Veinbergs said:
Its not like they dont know that the most reasons that people are playing mb, is because of ye mods. Nobody really cares about naive (asside from mp), and plays more advanced modded native versions like nova aetas, red wars or floris pack. Lets not even talk about 1860 or acok. Yhe devs know that mod fanbase is goinbto be just as huge as warband. So they are also providing countless days just to make it mod frindly. Thats also one of the reasons its taking so long to make - making nonmaking complex game mechanics, thats probably hard coded, sof coded and easily modified. Its quite difficult to do, if theres no altetnate way to do this if it was single shot done. They need to figure out then another way how to the excact same thing again, but differently and easier.

There are still a lot of people playing Native, including me. What are they doing now with Bannerlord is seemingly a full game to be enjoyed from the first glance without the necessity of a mod to fill gameplay gaps. That, while maintaining the high modding support.

I hope the add a morality system. After recently learning about Vlad the impaler, i would love to just have one castle spooky castle. and any faction that attempts to take my small lands, will be faced with unrelenting cruelty and malace. The vast armies of calradia will know to stay away from my poor and small lands

DanAngleland said:
warbandmeetsgta said:
B.S

6 month wait for a blog Just under 4, but if you feel the need for hyperbole to make your 'point' then why not...
which shows a couple of `in progress screenshots`Yes, the game isn't finished yet. Just so you aren't further disgusted by future blogs, I better warn you: all the screens will be work in progress.
and a boring fantasy/ reality history lesson?

nothing about features/ gameplay/ goals  nothing They didn't tell us much, all the blogs have been a little light on detail and that is obviously deliberate, but they did tell us more about the factions, the real era the game reflects, why they chose this era and the associated experiences they hope to reflect in the game (the break up of an empire). They also told us about factions being more complex, as they are divided into clans. It's not ''nothing''

shame on you taleworlds Shame on them? Because you are impatient for info?

p.s its leaked out that you have been on work on this a year or 2 before the ****ty trailer you released in 2012
so in essence youve been working on this around 4 years and from the looks of it should be ashamed of yourselves It didn't ''leak out'' at all, it was widely known way back that they were working on another game, and it was acknowledged happily, they just didn't make an official announcement until far later. Feeble attempt by you to make out that they were trying to hoodwink anyone.

if your going to make a blog, make it informative and about the game play/ features etc, stop wasting our time with the sugar coating of a load of waffle Stop trolling Bannerlord threads with bitter rants which translate as ''I'm impatient for your game and I handle it badly''.

Its not impatient if we're waiting 4 months...for a blog. If you think about it, its insanity. Companies normally announce their game, then release 6 months later. but we are here waiting for BLOGS 4 months apart. its madness.

It's true, it was a long wait and for not a great deal of info considering that long period (though I enjoyed what I did read and see, and appreciate it); I myself said as much in the Bannerlord  thread soon after the blog was released. It's fine to be impatient, but the vast majority of people don't write needlessly insulting and hyperbolic posts as a consequence. He has made posts of a similar tone before, and even made a separate thread to slate Taleworlds.

I have to say the last blog left me hungry for more, I am hoping the next one comes much sooner.

I'm a college History student and this game is turning to be everything I could wish. My favorite part of History is exactly the late Roman Empire and the Early Medieval age, when the germanic and slav tribes became minor kingdoms in the lands of the Empire. The endless war between all these realms always made me think of what a good game that would make.

Now I see that Bannerlord will realize this and much better!! A semi-historical game opens a lot of space for the player's to invent hole new stories and a completely inovative space with the best elements of this period of the past.

JUST. CAN'T. WAIT. TO. BUY. THIS. GAME. AAAARRRGH.
TAKE THE TIME YOU GUYS NEED TO DEVELOP IT, TOUGH. I DON'T WANT TO DISRUPT YOUR WORK.

joei160. said:
I'm a college History student and this game is turning to be everything I could wish. My favorite part of History is exactly the late Roman Empire and the Early Medieval age, when the germanic and slav tribes became minor kingdoms in the lands of the Empire. The endless war between all these realms always made me think of what a good game that would make.

Now I see that Bannerlord will realize this and much better!! A semi-historical game opens a lot of space for the player's to invent hole new stories and a completely inovative space with the best elements of this period of the past.

JUST. CAN'T. WAIT. TO. BUY. THIS. GAME. AAAARRRGH.
TAKE THE TIME YOU GUYS NEED TO DEVELOP IT, TOUGH. I DON'T WANT TO DISRUPT YOUR WORK.
Oh yeah. so it won't be the julia, junia, and cornellia - it will be like constantine, maxentius and licenius

Dalakh said:
Yngvald said:
No, the Empire is just scenery... Imagine pillows on a sofa.
And beautiful ruins ofc.

There better be Rhodoks or  :evil:

No Rhodoks ans Swadians were one and the same, so bye bye Rhodoks.
They did have significant difference, but I don't care if there is Rhodoks in the next game in name, but I want Rhodoks in way of types of soldiers and look of there walls.

Completely off-topic, but this was the very biggest issue to me in native warband, and something I feel very few mods even tackle:

Fief incomes. They're too low.

You're telling me that one dyeworks, producing a few rolls of velvet every week, is making me more money than the rents of an entire goddamn countryside?

Potentially thousands of people are paying me money for the privilege of my not beating them to death, and even the very richest fiefs in all Caladria can't even scrape together enough money to outmatch the incomes I receive from a few of my dyeworks?

This isn't greed on my part: it seems like a huge problem for a game where the player's main goal is to capture land. There was absolutely no incentive to own a castle or town, when the cost of having one properly defended vastly outstripped the profits it made you. In Native, I often just let the enemy take my castles, so I only had pure money-making fiefs [ which just got raided all the time, no matter how hard I tried to protect them ].

It was even worse with mods like Floris, where you could simply buy land without having to fight for it. It completely threw me out of the medieval immersion to be able to make more money as a common mercer than as a lord owning a castle and huge swathe of countryside. As well, there were very few ways to improve a fief to make it more wealthy and desirable than a very basic one.

The only mod that handled this appropriately in my book is Anno Domini 1257. No buying land, you had to fight for every scrap of it. The most you'd ever see from a business operation was 250 denars, and that would be with dyeworks in the best possible town to sell velvet. Fiefs, on the other hand, got you assloads of money, even if they were very poor. What's more, they provided you with lances. You couldn't just go from town to town recruiting *****es: you either bought some professional mercs from a town or tavern, or you captured land so you could have a ready supply of recruits. Plus, there were tons of ways to upgrade your fiefs, and you could ask your peasants to provide you payment in good instead of just pure money, allowing a shrewd lord to potentially make vast incomes.

It truly made capturing land important purely for the sake of owning land, as opposed to 'it's just what you're supposed to do in this game.' And it made fiefs that you spent a great deal of time and money investing in all the more worthwhile to defend. That, and it allowed you to grow a bond with the land and people you ruled. I found myself truly caring for the smelly little peasants, instead of just seeing them as a useless burden.

I apologize for the random outburst, but I couldn't continue my days knowing that potentially no-one was thinking about this. M&B is currently my favourite game of all time, and I absolutely cannot wait for Bannerlords. Bless your souls, devs; you're doing the Lord's work.

EDIT: I thought the Rhodoks were supposed to be the Italians, while the Swadians were supposed to be German. The latter, I believe, was named after an old Latin tribe, while the former was named after the Duchy of Swabia, which was the dominant power in the early HRE, as it was the seat of the prestigious House Karling.

If the Vlandians are meant to be the proto-Swadians, they have my sword in the coming conflicts.

I feel like the clan system should take a page out of Shogun 2, and have every clan have a unique unit, an upgraded/specialized unit like a flame-arrow archer, a female crossbow sharpshooter (that can be directly recruited) or super-knight to give all that clans a distinct feel, and a reason to join them, whilst remaining within a single faction.  An even cooler step would be to allow you to start your own clan, and allow you to create your own unique unit, which not only allows to increase your clan identity, but give the system a new layer of strategy.  (ex. Do I want a super-elite unit?  Or do I want a highly competent militia force that can be quickly and cheaply raised?)

The clan system looks more like vassals and factions in CK2 than Shogun 2. The clans there were working on their own as single states rather than factions under the entirety of a Japanese faction.

Kadoken said:
The clan system looks more like vassals and factions in CK2 than Shogun 2. The clans there were working on their own as single states rather than factions under the entirety of a Japanese faction.

While true, that's not the main point he's making. He seems more interested in unique units for every faction.

Special units are already present in the game, with certain factions having better units in one category, though certainly not to the degree where every region or group of lords have their own special units, as Itflak is suggesting. Culture-specific special units seem preferable to player created ones, for the sake of lore integrity. Being allowed to arm troops with whatever one likes, however, would be interesting.

Are you going to implement stealth element to the game?

I was thinking if you want to play as a thief you could:

- Use rope to climb up castle walls
- Pickpocket
- Steal loot / gold from chests / cabinets throgh lockpicking
- Hiding in shadows
- Silent takedowns (either kill or just stun the opponent).
- The A.I would have to be smart and be able to spot you from a far distance and be alerted to suspicious sounds especially at night.

I would love to make my way as a thief in this wonderfull game of yours with the mount & blade gameplay.

Slimedragon said:
Dalakh said:
Yngvald said:
No, the Empire is just scenery... Imagine pillows on a sofa.
And beautiful ruins ofc.

There better be Rhodoks or  :evil:

No Rhodoks ans Swadians were one and the same, so bye bye Rhodoks.
They did have significant difference, but I don't care if there is Rhodoks in the next game in name, but I want Rhodoks in way of types of soldiers and look of there walls.
If they were thinking along the lines of my thoughts based on original M&B lore, things might go like this.

The Rhodoks were originally under Swadia until they rebelled and formed their own kingdom. In the past when Swadia still has a hold over Rhodok, I'll expect the Rhodok lands to be required to provide cannon fodder to the Swandian nobility while the swandians would be free to focus on their more aristocratic practices of heavy cavalry. So your typical Swadian enlisted trooper and sergeant would be a Rhodok, while the Swandians would make up the cavalry forces (just like historically aristocrats are more likely to end up in the cav).

Back
Top Bottom