Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 7 - Imperial Declines

Users who are viewing this thread

Belendor said:
The clan names though sound totally made-up and not cool enough but well, we will see in future blogs as stated in blog since there is at least a decade to release. Good job.

As an amateur writer of made-up stuff, I think names are about the hardest thing to get right. Tolkien was a master linguist and you can often distinguish a character's race and lineage just by glancing at their name. Most of what Tolkien wrote still sounds somehow "right".

It's incredibly hard to do and even otherwise excellent fantasy authors don't give it enough attention. I love Game of Thrones/SoIaF, and Martin's pretty good at first names, but some of the House and place names are lacking, IMO. "Dorne" is a good word, but sounds like it belongs somewhere Germanic, rather than a sandy Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern stretch. None of "Lannister", "Martell" or "Tyrell" evoke anything for me. "Stark" and "Baratheon" on the other hand are brilliant names. They sound like their Houses look and behave.

Names play a uniquely important role in Mount & Blade. Yes, they have to sound authentic as always, but unlike most other games, they have to differentiate between factions and locations. In most world-maps of Warband's size, the game is set in Medieval Europe or the like. Luckily, we already know where France is. We know that someone called Philippe is probably going to be French. We know that Brittany isn't far from where we're looking. I know there were ways, and will be ways, to quickly scan through an alphabetical list to find your target - but well-designed names could make everything so much more fluent and intuitive.

Personally, I'm a fan of "borrowing" from history. I quite like seeing an obviously Viking name like Ragnar as the Nord king - largely for the reasons above. I wasn't even offended by seeing the word "Nord" as the faction name. The Nord counterparts for Bannerlord seem to be "Sturgians". The only link I can find between that word and reality is that "Sturgian" looks and sounds a lot like "sturgeon", which is a fish. Probably not intentional. In fairness, the Sturgians might have nothing to do with the Nords and not even be inspired by the real-world Vikings - but if they are linked, I have to be honest, I don't think it's a particularly good name.  :oops:

I think Aserai is a good name. Khuzaits is also fine, and maybe reflects that this faction eventually fed into the Khergit Khanate.

Eske said:
Belendor said:
The clan names though sound totally made-up and not cool enough but well, we will see in future blogs as stated in blog since there is at least a decade to release. Good job.

As an amateur writer of made-up stuff, I think names are about the hardest thing to get right. Tolkien was a master linguist and you can often distinguish a character's race and lineage just by glancing at their name. Most of what Tolkien wrote still sounds somehow "right".

It's incredibly hard to do and even otherwise excellent fantasy authors don't give it enough attention. I love Game of Thrones/SoIaF, and Martin's pretty good at first names, but some of the House and place names are lacking, IMO. "Dorne" is a good word, but sounds like it belongs somewhere Germanic, rather than a sandy Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern stretch. None of "Lannister", "Martell" or "Tyrell" evoke anything for me. "Stark" and "Baratheon" on the other hand are brilliant names. They sound like their Houses look and behave.

Names play a uniquely important role in Mount & Blade. Yes, they have to sound authentic as always, but unlike most other games, they have to differentiate between factions and locations. In most world-maps of Warband's size, the game is set in Medieval Europe or the like. Luckily, we already know where France is. We know that someone called Philippe is probably going to be French. We know that Brittany isn't far from where we're looking. I know there were ways, and will be ways, to quickly scan through an alphabetical list to find your target - but well-designed names could make everything so much more fluent and intuitive.

Personally, I'm a fan of "borrowing" from history. I quite like seeing an obviously Viking name like Ragnar as the Nord king - largely for the reasons above. I wasn't even offended by seeing the word "Nord" as the faction name. The Nord counterparts for Bannerlord seem to be "Sturgians". The only link I can find between that word and reality is that "Sturgian" looks and sounds a lot like "sturgeon", which is a fish. Probably not intentional. In fairness, the Sturgians might have nothing to do with the Nords and not even be inspired by the real-world Vikings - but if they are linked, I have to be honest, I don't think it's a particularly good name.  :oops:

I think Aserai is a good name. Khuzaits is also fine, and maybe reflects that this faction eventually fed into the Khergit Khanate.

Mhm, well. We didn't know anything as in background information or history about Calradia and we still don't. Now there is these factions, just to add the list of things need explaining. So, eventually they serve nothing else than just broadening the gap between the researchers and Calradia.

Eske said:
Belendor said:
In fairness, the Sturgians might have nothing to do with the Nords and not even be inspired by the real-world Vikings - but if they are linked, I have to be honest, I don't think it's a particularly good name.  :oops:

Storr Giants? I agree, it's pretty impossible to get past the homophone.

a nice blog this time i think it is the best blog yet
but i really want that they dont take another 5 months to release another blog

DanAngleland said:
minnakodunum said:
We all wonder if there is a co-op option, don't we?

I don't, and didn't even before the devs said there wouldn't be such an option.

I do.

If real time multiplayer can work with the main brand paradox games, it can work with M&B 

I'm pretty new to the M&B world, but fell instantly in love with Warband (native ... currently/recently playing the Brytenwalda mod), and asked myself, how could it be that i wasted that much time with other games (ie. invested x-thousand of hours modding them to be playable, especially Total War series games are meant here, exception was the old Medieval TW as vanilla).

TaleWorlds is the first commercial game developer company, for whom i feel that kind of love. Their game (developing) conception is unmatched imo..

Bannerlord, its latest blog, confirms that, and the time period of 600 - 1100 AD makes me even more excited, loving that period.

That said, i hope for a good portion of realism-gameplay, a balanced realism-gameplay for the player and npc's/factions, for a real immersive campaign and battle mode, which keeps the player challenged throughout the whole possible game-length. While probably necessary, AI needs always some extra-tweaks to make-up the human intelligence (and usually possible game-exploits through the player).

Edit: Also, i hope there won't be fantasy-contents, that should be up to mods for those who like it ... and else, ie. other games like Skyrim (which i love as well) offer all that what a fantasy-RPG can offer.

i couldn't help but to read "  A semi-scripted set of linked quests at the beginning of the game will give the player the opportunity to learn about the various factions, and have the chance to meet the key personalities  and  perhaps give them a reason to choose one or the other in the coming conflict.  After the introductory quest series, the game will then revert to the full sandbox mode – but we're hoping that our revised and expanded NPC and quest systems mean that this sandbox can provide plenty of “story.”" over and over again... i HATE forced tutorials. i get that you want to show of the game and such, but let me figure it out. i don't care who's what. all i'm going to do is gather a group of misfits, roam the open plains and hunt down bandits, which i HOPE will increase in size as my group increases in size, and then when i'm strong enough start messing with the other factions. make it optional to care about the damned leaders. other than that, the game looks amazing! and i'm VERY happy that you're taking your sweet time with it. the last thing we need is a rushed, bugged and unplayable game.

Olaffer said:
i couldn't help but to read "  A semi-scripted set of linked quests at the beginning of the game will give the player the opportunity to learn about the various factions, and have the chance to meet the key personalities  and  perhaps give them a reason to choose one or the other in the coming conflict.  After the introductory quest series, the game will then revert to the full sandbox mode – but we're hoping that our revised and expanded NPC and quest systems mean that this sandbox can provide plenty of “story.”" over and over again... i HATE forced tutorials. i get that you want to show of the game and such, but let me figure it out. i don't care who's what. all i'm going to do is gather a group of misfits, roam the open plains and hunt down bandits, which i HOPE will increase in size as my group increases in size, and then when i'm strong enough start messing with the other factions. make it optional to care about the damned leaders. other than that, the game looks amazing! and i'm VERY happy that you're taking your sweet time with it. the last thing we need is a rushed, bugged and unplayable game.
Well, if they keep it like warband, you would not be forced to complete the tutorials.

The only thing I really need for me to buy Bannerlord is bigger replayability. Warband probably already has one of the best as a game, but most people have sucked the pool dry to the last still, because they've had 6 years to do so. I still enjoy playing Warband after so long, but I don't want Bannerlord to just feel like a new mod.

(Still buy no matter what! :grin:)

Olaffer said:
Hopefully it's moddable, so you could always remove small things that irritate you like that

Eske said:

Hear hear!

Yet I think what makes the nomenclature in A Song of Ice and Fire worse is that for most of his cultures Martin mixes real life names with those he made up himself, names that clearly don't mean anything. I mean, either make them all up for that culture and try to get (variations on) a theme, or use real life names exclusively. In case of the latter it would still be possible to add very rare names or coined names that could have existed in real life (because they follow the rules of name making and actually mean something).

Names are very important in stories and if a writer fails to come up with a convincing nomenclature I can't lose myself in the story. And similarly, if I want to immerse myself in a game in a historical setting, it bothers me when players run around with names that have no bearing on that period or are at best pseudo-authentic.

pellehard said:
vota dc said:
crodio said:
Maybe the door is big because he needs to get an entire cow there to proceed with his job. or maybe not, I don't know about ancient butchering.

They are too big even for cows. They are Jurassic Park doors!

lol. hm yeah maby they want to drag the hole wagon  trough the door with alot of cows?
Well we already accepted that there would be dragons in the game. I mean we even saw the concept art. The butcher just went ahead and made sure we could butcher dragons.

Blead said:
pellehard said:
vota dc said:
crodio said:
Maybe the door is big because he needs to get an entire cow there to proceed with his job. or maybe not, I don't know about ancient butchering.

They are too big even for cows. They are Jurassic Park doors!

lol. hm yeah maby they want to drag the hole wagon  trough the door with alot of cows?
Well we already accepted that there would be dragons in the game. I mean we even saw the concept art. The butcher just went ahead and made sure we could butcher dragons.

i really think that it wont be good with dragons and myths i want it to be realistic not another skyrim like game and there is no dragons in the concept art and there nothing that proof that there will be dragons in the game right ?

pipo_wolf said:
i really think that it wont be good with dragons and myths i want it to be realistic not another skyrim like game and there is no dragons in the concept art and there nothing that proof that there will be dragons in the game right ?
There is this pic:
r5KgPv8.png
So therefore it is confirmed that there will be dragons and the game's name will be Skyrim 2 because why not.

Back
Top Bottom