Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 5 - Virtual Skeletons

Users who are viewing this thread

Happy Friday to avid readers and passers by. It has been a little while since our last Bannerlord Blog. In this entry we are once more decreasing the number of unblogged rooms in the office by one. Although some animations are made and polished in various parts of the office, many are captured in our very own motion capture studio near the main door of our offices. The animation hub and thus the associated blog room for this episode.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/6

Hey Captain Lust.
I love my Warband 2nd life. My wife however... hates that me and my sons spend so much time in Calradia. I have just a few hopes for Bannerlord though. If you or anyone else can shed some insight as to weather or not these things even have a chance of being implemented, I'd be most grateful. I've been hoping for them from original M&B.

1.Renaming party members.
2.Create my family coat of arms for my tabbard/surcoat.
3.Evolving villages (buildings that grow when you buy them).
4.Battle Carnage (uhh.. body parts flying off)
5.Please... No Steam requirement.

If i had these, i could care less if graphx are any better.

TheFlyingFishy said:
Is it just me...
OMG dude that profile pic! xD

fallus maximus said:
We want sex in Bannerlord. You've allready gave us adventure, blood and death. Sex only left to add for complete satisfaction.
That would be awesome! I concur my dubious friend. Medieval GTA, all the WAY! xD

Tybalt_ said:
I'm sick of the waiting, you better hand out a new devblog fast or i'll never buy your games again.
Lies!  :lol: You know you'll wait like the rest of us.

tavern_screenshot_14032014.jpg

Some things looking nice, others less so. I see the wip disclaimer, but have some criticism anyway:

Lighting clearly needs a lot of work, everything looks shabbier than the lighting you've shown before. I see a glass bottle looking like rubber, metal apparently not shiny anymore because it's inside and inside light has magical properties that make it completely different and inferior to outside light. There are also very strange shadows and attenuations; case in point, the lantern on the far wall.

The near woman has a problem with her shoulders.

There is one piece of Roman art on the wall, but the walls in general look bare, with a very messy paint job.

While the bricks look authentic, they're the same dimensions as modern bricks. If you pick some authentic bricks with different dimensions, it will be more clear that they're in a medieval setting.

There are no spills or stains on the ground. Likewise, people are eating and burning candles directly on the wooden tables, which don't look like they've ever been oiled, yet those are plain and clean.

A bland mat covers part of the floor, its normal and spec invisible in the foreground due to poor lighting and its edges not making a lot of sense. As for its use, unless all of those seats have two short legs at the back, it would probably be a nuisance.

Looking at the plaster, bricks and stone, some of the edges seem strangely soft, when the texture doesn't match. If those steps are rounded from wear, the stone would be smooth.

As people mentioned, if this is the biggest tavern in the world, it would probably have more stools and more people sitting on them. Those tables should be full, with stools at the corners, another table in the middle and people standing around drinking and talking.

jacobhinds said:
PsykoOps said:
Because it's realistic and it would fit 10/10 into the game play.

If you need to loose an arrow at somebody you just go ahead and loose it, can't see why you'd ever need to shave 2-3 seconds off firing time at the expense of a long flappy pointy thing hanging off your bowstring.

If you would just as soon spend 2-3 seconds doing something when your life depends on it rather than have it prepared, good luck to you.

gamester494 said:
fallus maximus said:
Animation improvement in... No, that is an animation revolution in Mount&Blade. That'll make the game best ever. What about dubbing? Shall I hear voices or just read what people are to say? What about cuting off body parts during batlle? And finally, shall I be able to attack anybody? In Warband I can do it only in batlle mode.

We want sex in Bannerlord. You've allready gave us adventure, blood and death. Sex only left to add for complete satisfaction.

You perv, anyways the tavern looks awesome.

If you've ever played Crusader Kings 2, you'll know sex is a big part of the medieval lifestyle

I would like to see a free-for-all bar brawl. Instead of everyone in the bar always hiding in a corner during a bar fight like in Warband some or all of the people should get involved sometimes. It also breaks immersion to have knights and mercenaries running and hiding from a couple of drunk people fighting each other with swords. Those guys should stand and watch if not get involved.

Meevar the Mighty said:
tavern_screenshot_14032014.jpg

Some things looking nice, others less so. I see the wip disclaimer, but have some criticism anyway:

Lighting clearly needs a lot of work, everything looks shabbier than the lighting you've shown before. I see a glass bottle looking like rubber, metal apparently not shiny anymore because it's inside and inside light has magical properties that make it completely different and inferior to outside light. There are also very strange shadows and attenuations; case in point, the lantern on the far wall.

The near woman has a problem with her shoulders.

There is one piece of Roman art on the wall, but the walls in general look bare, with a very messy paint job.

While the bricks look authentic, they're the same dimensions as modern bricks. If you pick some authentic bricks with different dimensions, it will be more clear that they're in a medieval setting.

There are no spills or stains on the ground. Likewise, people are eating and burning candles directly on the wooden tables, which don't look like they've ever been oiled, yet those are plain and clean.

A bland mat covers part of the floor, its normal and spec invisible in the foreground due to poor lighting and its edges not making a lot of sense. As for its use, unless all of those seats have two short legs at the back, it would probably be a nuisance.

Looking at the plaster, bricks and stone, some of the edges seem strangely soft, when the texture doesn't match. If those steps are rounded from wear, the stone would be smooth.

As people mentioned, if this is the biggest tavern in the world, it would probably have more stools and more people sitting on them. Those tables should be full, with stools at the corners, another table in the middle and people standing around drinking and talking.

jacobhinds said:
PsykoOps said:
Because it's realistic and it would fit 10/10 into the game play.

If you need to loose an arrow at somebody you just go ahead and loose it, can't see why you'd ever need to shave 2-3 seconds off firing time at the expense of a long flappy pointy thing hanging off your bowstring.

If you would just as soon spend 2-3 seconds doing something when your life depends on it rather than have it prepared, good luck to you.

Speaking of lighting, it depends how you see it. If you have watched that screenshot from a laptop, you can be sure that you have seen it much lighter than it is.

As I said, some stuff is just in placeholder role. As an active scener, I can recognize that spr_table_castle, spr_mat_c, spr_winery_barrel_shelf and spr_lamp_a (with some modifications at the metal bar which holds it) are from Warband (the floor texture has the same story). These might either be replaced with something completly new or remodelled to fit the new standards; the big WIP explains it.

About the FOV in the tavern, I know it somewhat off-topic, but has the dev team considered implementing custom FOV options in the new engine? This is quite important to me.

Quick suggestion, hope the devs see this: would it be possible to make a range of running/walking/idle animations, and have each troop select one of those at random when it begins that action? When you have a large number of people in one place, it just looks bizzare when they're all swaying in synch. Even three or four would be enough to break the monotony.

Well this might be off and on topic at the same time. Awsome stuff on the dev blog (even tho i only read a few partially)
Your game already is awsome(warband + napoleonic) but few thing bothered me in Warband 1 was if you had full cavalary party you could easly win any open ground battle (even vs spearmen)  so id like to see formations fe. spear formation(good vs cavalary but make sunit vunerable to archers,... i think you get the idea) 2nd was that if you ran over a person with your horse the person recieved allmost no damage(even tough i don't ride horse i know that if something of 200+kg runs over me i'd be out  of action) 3rd was towns/cities (this botherd me quite a bit) Ok playin Sp you gain vllages/town from your king or... thing is even if you upgrade your village it stay that small defenseless town/city even though it prosperity was high I kinda like to see that you can upgrade your town (and over time this tow/city grow) so the poor village/town  you got in the beginning could become a Mayor city at later game wich makes investing in cities/towns way more interesting
Greets

Rebel King said:
Tybalt_ said:
I'm sick of the waiting, you better hand out a new devblog fast or i'll never buy your games again.
Be patient you brat. Don't rush them.

I knew it would be atleast one of you people who would get pissed  :lol:

hello devs! long time mnb fan here. like.. long long time. i follow the game from the 0.600 version or something! when it was just a green map with random enemies to fight and the city of zendar. i dont even know if it is the same developing team anymore. i can't wait to buy mnb 2 guys. please keep the medieval style and have plenty of social and diplomatic options. also please dont make it too realistic. at least in some physics aspects (or also in the possibility of a single person to take an army by himself). nothing can beat jumping from 15 meters high with a horse, delivering headshots with throwing axes in mid air! anyway, i would also like to comment that if there was a mnb mmo i would pay 200 euros to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom