Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 5 - Virtual Skeletons

Users who are viewing this thread

Happy Friday to avid readers and passers by. It has been a little while since our last Bannerlord Blog. In this entry we are once more decreasing the number of unblogged rooms in the office by one. Although some animations are made and polished in various parts of the office, many are captured in our very own motion capture studio near the main door of our offices. The animation hub and thus the associated blog room for this episode.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/6

Golradir said:
hirovard said:
yea, nothing like spear + shield and killing fools who forget to block or think that they are better than me  :lol:
worst combo ever, one block and your stunned, or just a chamber and you're dead :O

I completly agree, i played last night with that combo on a DM server. yet scored 20-7 K:grin:  :lol:

hirovard said:
Golradir said:
hirovard said:
yea, nothing like spear + shield and killing fools who forget to block or think that they are better than me  :lol:
worst combo ever, one block and your stunned, or just a chamber and you're dead :O

I completly agree, i played last night with that combo on a DM server. yet scored 20-7 K:grin:  :lol:

Yeah well most players on DM servers don't know that blocking exists.

Mr.Milker said:
A lecture about character animation by the guy from Wolfire (who make Overgrowth). Well worth watching, it'd be great if Bannerlord adopted some of these techniques.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020583/Animation-Bootcamp-An-Indie-Approach

Really interesting watch. The mount and blade series would benefit from something like this even more than overgrowth, in my opinion. But they've already started progress on the animations so i guess that's something for MB:III

I would like to see different animations for different armors. An archer wearing light leather runs far more gracefully than a knight with 50 pounds of steel plate strapped onto him.

Also I would like to see limbs flying off when you hit someone with a mean claymore.

A few kids would spice up a town when youre walking around.

I'd like to see towns and villages with a real levy system. Kings and lords should get a  retinue or course, depending on their lands and castles.  However, the bulk of troops should be levies, and they should only be available for limited periods. It would add another strategic aspect to the game.

Aghalen said:
I would like to see different animations for different armors. An archer wearing light leather runs far more gracefully than a knight with 50 pounds of steel plate strapped onto him.

Plate harness is made to be fought in. In order to fight effectively you need full range of motion. It also mostly rides on the hips, so while it's heavy in an absolute sense it doesn't feel that heavy when you wear it.

D&D has skewed the perception of armor so much. :neutral:

Yeah, if to believe games and movies, plate armours are unbelievably awkward to wear and when it comes to slashing with sword, one can always cut right through it. With fountains of blood.

Makes you wonder why our ancestors at all went for "who's the shiniest knight" contests on the battlefields.

Not to mention plate armor didn't weigh as much as you think, the weight is spread out, it wouldn't feel that heavy at all. 

You are right about armour. I just have to add that, while agility was not very much penalised, you could not run at your full  speed and that it was much more energy consuming. Not to mention the heat in there. It is possible explanation of why the Byzantines called it "Κλιβάνιον" which literally means : camp oven. I had a long discussion, in the past, about how this would apply to protected war horses, but I failed to convince the moders.... Obviously the biggest disadvantage of armour was that it was far expensive. 

Orion said:
Aghalen said:

Plate harness is made to be fought in. In order to fight effectively you need full range of motion. It also mostly rides on the hips, so while it's heavy in an absolute sense it doesn't feel that heavy when you wear it.

Blame the Victorians.

The Victorians are more to blame for this.

00532887.detail.a.jpg

Orion said:
Aghalen said:

Allthough plate armour is made in a way to hinder movement as less as possible, it still affects your movements. Things like sprinting, jumping and turning at high speed become a "tad" more difficult.
I do suppose youre right at some point, since you get used to the extra weight, but I cant help feeling odd seing a swadian knight run in the same way as a swadian recruit.

Back
Top Bottom