Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 3 - Unexpected Parties

Users who are viewing this thread

<p>To all interested and uninterested parties, let it be known that we at TaleWorlds are making a new game, by the name of Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord. It is the next in the Mount&Blade series and a prequel to Mount&Blade Warband. This is the third entry in our Developer Blog, talking about making the game to whoever wants to listen. Thisweek we're talking about the campaign team, developers of the game's single player mechanics and gameplay. The team formerly known as “Team 3”...</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/4

-Flail!

-Permanent death and specific personalities with all the lords. In medieval times Lords, landowners, nobles, and Knights all had a lot of influence and power.

-Environments should change. there should be corruption and religion involved. An ACTUAL STORY LINE that changes dependent on death, trade, and politics. And the personal decisions of the kings and lords.

-Emphasize on RELIGION. Religion was the cause for most wars back then. Yet M&B doesn't have any religion at all. Did they forget about the Crusades?

-If you kill someone Their Family should hold a grudge against you. Challenge you to jousts, hunt you down, burn your villages, etc...

-Permanent death (if you don't surrender fast enough) would be a nice feature for, let's say, "Hardcore mode" , i can only sympethise with that idea.
Maybe something like that could even be integrated in some kind of small multiplayer-progression/ladder mode, where equipment can be earned, but death means loosing all.

-New MP-modes would be nice too. Like a "Gungame-Battle" where you spawn every round you killed an enemy, with a better weapon, with the goal to be the first to kick someone to death (which would be the last level, to win the mode and than mapchange). Not authentic, but surely something to attract the masses... Or a tournament mode with randomgenerated duell-partners in arenas.

- Hacking your enemies bodyparts away is a nice idea but would lead to a higher age-rating. See Chivalry with the PEGI of 18.
So, from a sales-viewpoint, it's quite a bad idea (but i trust in the modding community  :twisted:) And there is the decision Gore vs. Battlesize. Hacked bodyparts must use some kind of physix = cpu usage. I'd rather prefere 200 more fighers in the field for the performance down, than seeing arms and legs fly... well... mostly... in the long run... after beeing very sadistic for a while.

HI,

i would just like to say..... the suspense is killing me!!!!!, im so excited about this release and really cant wait for it to actually be released like literally cant wait.
will there be any hint as to when we might expect the release date?,

any hu keep up the amazing work and remember you can always send me a early release copy :wink:

LordFalcon666 said:
-Permanent death (if you don't surrender fast enough) would be a nice feature for, let's say, "Hardcore mode" , i can only sympethise with that idea.
Maybe something like that could even be integrated in some kind of small multiplayer-progression/ladder mode, where equipment can be earned, but death means loosing all.

-New MP-modes would be nice too. Like a "Gungame-Battle" where you spawn every round you killed an enemy, with a better weapon, with the goal to be the first to kick someone to death (which would be the last level, to win the mode and than mapchange). Not authentic, but surely something to attract the masses... Or a tournament mode with randomgenerated duell-partners in arenas.

- Hacking your enemies bodyparts away is a nice idea but would lead to a higher age-rating. See Chivalry with the PEGI of 18.
So, from a sales-viewpoint, it's quite a bad idea (but i trust in the modding community  :twisted:) And there is the decision Gore vs. Battlesize. Hacked bodyparts must use some kind of physix = cpu usage. I'd rather prefere 200 more fighers in the field for the performance down, than seeing arms and legs fly... well... mostly... in the long run... after beeing very sadistic for a while.

Yeah, i can hardly have 200 people on the field as it is. Arms and legs everywhere could cause performance issues. Though once i get a good graphics card. I'd like to have it. But Your probably right, with the levels of gore could cause it to have it to have higher rating. Not that other games haven't had dismemberment, but in M&B it might be excessive for some people when theres 200 dismembered limbs and chunks lying on the ground. But they should still have it included. Just have a Gore Slider in the option menu like other games do. And then people could simply mod the slider to go higher.      Cause thats how medieval battles were, extremely gorey, painful, bloody (definitely needs MORE BLOOD), and horrifying situations. Lots of screaming and agony. And imagine that smell... All those unbathed sweaty soldiers, and most people crap themselves when they die.  Its not a fun place like the movies make it seem.

How many of you think it hurts when you get a papercut? Now imagine a papercut times 10000, getting hit with a sword causes a lot of damage, and extreme amounts of blood. Even wearing armor it would still be like getting hit with a baseball bat.

LordFalcon666 said:
-New MP-modes would be nice too. Like a "Gungame-Battle" where you spawn every round you killed an enemy, with a better weapon, with the goal to be the first to kick someone to death (which would be the last level, to win the mode and than mapchange). Not authentic, but surely something to attract the masses... Or a tournament mode with randomgenerated duell-partners in arenas

Yeah, some new modes are probably a must.

I'd like one which operates like battle, but you choose at the start a fraction of the enemy team (decreasing as population increases, so maybe 1/2, 2/6, 3/12 4/24...) that can deal damage by attacking you. When one of your chosen foes dies, they get to select a living member of their team to take all of their targets.

I think it'd be good for beginners, kind of fighting toward a final boss, rather than having to deal with top players immediately. It would also be nice for people with an aversion to certain playstyles.

It could be called "feud" or something. I expect it would also work for a gamemode without teams, but that would be generally much less tactical.

I think that above all, the game-mode that is missing in Mount & Blade MP, is the linear Conquest.

You know that game-mode with multiple flags you need to hold, which drain enemy tickets?
Maybe you don't because nobody ever plays it. Why?

Because it's no fun. It's boring and disorganized.

There are several problems with the current system.
1: Team Spawns are as wild as Deathmatch.
2: Flags are in a circular array, instead of a line.
3: Respawn time is very short, and there are many lives available.
4: The rounds are much too long.

Let us think of a system where this is reversed.
1: Teams spawn on their own side of the map, in a designated spawn point, and nowhere else. Maybe spawns could shift forward or back as flags are captured.
2: Flags are in a line from spawn to spawn. The option to force flags to be captured in order, should be available serverside.
3: Respawn time should be 30-60 Seconds, forcing players to use their lives wisely. Alternately, one could implement wave-spawns to simulate reinforcements arriving on the field, every 30 Seconds, or minute or so.
4: The length of rounds are shortened considerably. This means scaling the number of tickets(say 10 each) with the max or round start player numbers. A twenty player server should have 100 tickets per team, not 300. This increases a sense of urgency in one's actions, increases the risk posed by losing lives, and forces a decisive feeling in the game.

If these gameplay concepts were to be implemented, I feel that this gamemode would become as popular or more in public servers than siege or battle. Take games such as Red Orchestra's territory mode, Project Reality Mod's AAS mode, as examples.
They make the conquest game mode very popular and fun by using exactly the elements I have described, and more.

Well, I was thinking of dismemberment more than just a visual but having an actual effect on gameplay that pertains to actual characters. And honestly, 200 - 400 body parts isn't too taxing on a modern CPU. It's not like its trying to do a 3000year DF world gen or trying to handle a DF battle with more than 1000 combatants on each side.
Technical matters aside (I'm no expert, but DF is CPU intensive) without having an actual affect on gameplay, dismemberment is a waste of CPU.
What do I mean by "affect on gameplay"? (Read my previous post)
I'll restate it here again.
Dismemberment should be instant kill to nameless characters of no importance (for obvious reasons).
In the event that a Named Character (King, lord, companion, etc) gets dismembered (dismemberment </= 2), it should not only be displayed visually but also have an effect on equipment, honor rating, etc.

Old repost aside, should dismemberment be a part of the new M&B, it should not be easy to dismember anyone with armor. Thus, only after having achieved a certain amount of strength can a unit or character be able to dismember. This will not only be more realistic, it will save memory.
If you think that raising the age-limit would decrease sales, think again. First of all, who has more money: adults with jobs or kids going to school? Second, did Diablo's M-rating prevent it from having low sales? No. Come on. While an M-rating would drive some (some) mothers away from buying the game for their kid, how many of you actually know parents who strictly regulated age-limit games?
Have you listened to kids on XBox live? That stuff, my friends, is X-rated.

Second, a linear mode is not befitting of M&B. Yes, I'd like there to be a more substantial "storyline" but rather than have the developers have a cookie-cutter storyline, it'd be better if the story were to develop itself. NO LINEAR STORYLINE LIKE COD(OR OTHER MAINSTREAM CRAP)

The game eventually "ends" with the unification of Calradia. However, more random events would be VERY nice.

Next thing to have a self-developing story would be to randomly generate characters that are part of "quests" given by a named character that would either have to be eliminated, captured or recruited.

The next thing would be to have a changing nobility. Lords, after suffering from exile or death, will be replaced spontaneously by another random character/(or a descendant) who will inherit previous titles and engagements.

The fourth thing would be to make characters seem more "alive". The interaction with the characters can be basic as it was in M&B Warband but they should have more development and relationship change as the game goes on without the player involvement.
What I Mean is that the characters should not be static. This not only makes characters different each playthrough but it will also provide  a different story each time as well.

As I stated before, post-unification events would be very desirable. It would not only provide further gameplay, it would add DIFFERENT gameplay elements involved. In my previous comment, I requested [2] post-unification scenarios.
1. Overseas Invaders
2. Lord inciting rebellion
There could be many more (such as kidnapped spouse/lord by a random marauding army, defeat army) but the main thing is that instead of handling matters as a mercenary captain or a rogue-king, you now handle affairs as the official head of state.

Basically, I covered all necessary improvements in my post. Honestly.
Also, in my opinion, multiplayer is really a secondary feature. Yes, it is needed but need it be elaborate and fancy? I don't think so. At most, maybe two new modes featuring some 'innovative' gameplay and a co-op would be MORE than enough. M&B is, at heart, a single player game that depends on player creativity to create and imagine their own stories.

But again, I like to emphasize that while a linear storyline is highly discouraged, adding more events and more "life" to characters would enable the player to have a set story about uniting Calradia and have an engaging(I hope) and randomized story with each playthrough.

Marc-O-Polo said:
rangerhalt777 said:
Also, people who use the argument of "they can't do that because Medieval Europe wasn't like that" are just wrong. This is Calradia! Not Europe! They do what they want!

No.

Calradia is not like Westeros or Middle-Earth or Tamriel or whatever.

Calradia may not have the authentic map of medieval Europe, but I have always loved it for its historic accuracy and realism. Basically, you can assign every Calradian kingdom to a region of medieval Europe. I would hate it if M&B guys would suddenly start runnig around with dragons and wands or such and allowing dual wielding is a step towards this picture because NOBODY would ever have done that in European reality. I do not want M&B to be just another odd fantasy game.

Thank you for making this clear. I hope fellow M&B fans will have the same attitude towards the purity of M&B.

However, I'd like to note that M&B is already a little distorted historically. The current M&B armor sets are no more than pieces of armor that come from a variety of centuries.

Since the game is already a little historically mangled (equipment wise), I don't think it'd be too much harm in introducing more 14-15th century armor pieces/weapons.

But I do hope that the developers will also consider having more equipment slots open and the ability to strap on additional belts to carry extra weapons/ammo (weapons in case durability is in play).

What I mean by more equipment slots 'open' is to break down the original armor pieces into smaller pieces and to include new armor pieces
So what pieces specifically?
-Pauldron
-Outer clothing layer (cloaks, cape, surcoat, etc. When armor was sold, the capes, cloaks, surcoats don't come alont with it)
-Leg pieces (they're seperate from the torso. I'd prefer if the developers went as far as to seperate left thigh from right thigh but that may be too much for some people)
-Greaves (here, I'd let some leniency slide and have greaves also include foot coverage)
-Arms (depends on the armor type but it isn't hard to code armor to cover multiple slots)
-head (helmet)
-Hands (gloves/gauntlets)
-Torso (Big part of the body)
Next I'll list the accessories that should be available
-belt(waist)
-shoulder strap
Both should vary in capacity. While it may not seem pure historically, belts and shoulder-straps are  seperate pieces of armor that function differently from torso armor. (This is also so I can fulfill my fantasy of having a group of heroes fully decked out with spears and shield on their back with daggers sheathed on their shoulder strap, 2 quivers containing bolts strapped to the waist and a crossbow hanging from the side all while holding a large double-bladed axe)
But as I said before, Calradia is based on medieval Europe but since it is already a little mangled up in terms of historical equipment, why not allow some low fantasy elements like being able to carry some more weapons?

Ithilien5 said:
You make it seem like you're an expert. Please stop.

Im not an expert. Just someone who likes history a lot. And why would you want me to stop? The point of life is to share and learn new ideas and opinions with each other so we can expand our minds with knowledge and reason. If you go around suppressing people just cause they have knowledge and want to share it, than your just making yourself stupid, and contributing to the fall and ignorance of humanity. You make it seem like your a Douche. Please stop.

Cause you have obviously been on a battlefield and knows to the fullest how it is. Please, accept my most humble apologize.

Shoulder straps and things of that sort would be really usefull. They should also make it so your weapons can drop or get knocked out of your hands. And then you could Pull out your emergency daggers or shortsword.

You guys are sitting on the best game franchise of its genre of all time!!! Your combat system is amazing, the characters, items and locations are gorgeous. Please, please make this game what it should be! Flesh out the world, include lots of quests (quest chains, rise to power quests, trade quests, diplomacy,.. MORE MORE), include more kingdom management options, lots of them! The strategic layer of the game should be far more easy to expand than the combat/interface. It is just lines of text with dialogues and options, come on! Include more battle commands and formations!

If modders can do these things you can do it even better. With simple text mods have created great kingdom management options, diplomacy options, new quests,... Please make M&B II complete and the best game ever!

Look at Paradox and their Crusader Kings/Europa Universalis franchise. For a long time they have been niche games that only extreme strategy lovers would touch, but when they decided/could really invest in their games they became main stream games that are all over the gaming news. They went from being obscure strategy titles to launching a new era of strategy gaming on the PC. You can do the same for the action/strategy simulation! In Crusader Kings the core gameplay (managing your dinasty and conquering land) did not change, same as the combat in M&B only needs minor improvement, but then they redid the UI to be more player friendly and more important included lots and lots of events that make players feel like each game is a unique story they create and the game just blew in sales. This is what you can do. Flesh out the locations, those beautiful locations you have shown in the screenshots? Give is something to do in there! Make more quests and events! Lots and lots of them! Marriages, treason, random events, opportunities to be a hero or to be a scoundrel. Make each game play a unique story that gives us the feeling it is ours, we live it, and it will be different that anyone elses. Do this and you will make the best game ever!
I believe you can do it!:smile:

"you can assign every Calradian kingdom to a region of medieval Europe."

Please do let me know where you would assign the Khergit Khanate and the Sarranid Sultanate sultanate in Europe...  :roll:

Back
Top Bottom