Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 2 - Painted Plants

Users who are viewing this thread

Avid blog followers and newcomers to the series, in this, our second blog, we're talking about our team of engine programmers and their role in our development process. It is fitting that the engine team sits in the centre of the office, developing the core of the game. The room is generally busy with the comings and goings of demanding developers, the hardware is powerful and the attitude is relaxed and open. Inside dwell the gremlin exterminating gremlins. The light masters. The engine engineers.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/3

Leifr Eiríksson said:
TIL: Lust hates "***** fighers".
ftfy

On a slightly serious note, indeed, I can see no reason for not including female characters in Warband. Realism and historical accuracy are not prime concerns when you have 13th century great helms next to 4th century Roman helmets.
Let mods remove females if they want.

Thanks for giving hope to a gamer that would rather spend time roaming the Taleworlds lands than spend time on ANY other game. My3 biggest requests are 1-Villiages that are visually upgraded when the Noble works/spends coin on them. 2-Being able to rename your party characters (yes you can mod them I know). And 3-Implementing some sort of coat of arms designer like in Crusaiderkings2 (also can mod this I know). These 3 things will fully immerse every player into the game. Not only his house sigil will be at stake, but all the work and prosperity his land has had. I'm so hyped up and ready for Bannerlord! Thanks for all the hard work. I cant praise you guys and your game enough.

Odyseuss said:
It doesn't need to follow all the laws of the Medieval era. Medieval era only implies medieval technology typically when you're using it to describe another world. Adding women is an acceptable break from medieval culture anyways since in no way will it enhance or ruin one's experience.

Speak for yourself. I know a lot of people who like the way it is now, woman included. There were few woman on the battle field. And I don't mind seeing a FEW. But it would ruin the game if it was 50-50%. Or even 70-30%.

No, seriously, I don't want female soldiers in my army, at least not as regular troops of some kingdom or something. Game goes in 1200s If there is no cannons in that game, there also shouldn't bbe female fighters, you can't shape a "historical" game with considering today's way of seeing things/people. It's like black slaves getting offended/sueing the people if someone calls them ******, in a game which goes around 1800s or something like that.

Sure, Calradia never had female soldiers. No wait, that was Earth, Calradia is a different place.
As long as they can create the lore to justify female soldiers, I'm all for it.

I think that the game will be so much rich if there are at least the same innovations that another very similar game chivalery medieval warfare.

I agree absolutely with this post about sieges
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,237660.0.html

I think that destructibles walls, boiled oil; greek fire, many kinds of catapultes and onagres must be there.
And off course player must be able to take control of this perhaps like a horse.

In fact I am absolutely sure that the game will be incredible most rich if there are also war elephants and war camels...; that will be also historically acurate even if was not the case in middle europe.
the adittion of parhaps 2 news faction semblable to chinisse and hindu civilisation will be wonderful as well, even if they are not playable for the player...

so here same historical research with pictures, videos and information for my historical research on this topic

war camel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8EXM-6j3Gg

Nations in the East occasionally fielded cataphracts mounted on camels rather than on horses (the Romans also adopted this practice, calling camel mounted cavalrymen dromedarii), with obvious benefits for use in arid regions, as well as the fact that the stench of the camels, if upwind, was a guaranteed way of panicking enemy cavalry units that they came into contact with. Balanced against this, however, is the relatively greater vulnerability of camel-mounted units to caltrops, due to their softly padded soles on their feet, unlike the hardened hooves of horses.

Wikipedia

camel archers

Camel archers are marksmen wielding bows mounted on camels. They took their popularity in the Crusades, used in Arabia, Asian and Eurasian countries. Saladin, the leader of Arabia from 1174 to 1193, was known, or rather believed to use camels as a substitute for other ways of transport, such as the more common horse.

war elephant

This is analogous to the Eastern cataphract horse archers mentioned previously, who carried both bows and lances, and alternated between missile and charge attacks as the terms of a battle dictated. The three to four men manning the howdah, including the driver, known as a mahout, were armed with sarissae, javelins, pikes or bows to harass enemy soldiers who attempted to close in and attack the elephants. The tough hide of elephants afforded them considerable protection, and the scale armor worn on top of this made them almost invulnerable to missiles such as arrows, bolts, stones and so forth. Cavalry were also easily frightened by the smell and presence of the elephants, particularly if they had never been exposed to them previously, which allowed them to be used as living, mobile fortifications to counter cavalry manoeuvres on the battlefield in addition to light artillery platforms.[30]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yAaqH1YJ4

war chariot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7on_NRN3AcQ

greek fire and granades

Hand-held projectors

Detail of a cheirosiphōn

The portable cheirosiphōn ("hand-siphōn"), the earliest analogue to a modern flamethrower, is extensively attested in the military documents of the 10th century, and recommended for use in both sea and land. They first appear in the Tactica of emperor Leo VI the Wise, who claims to have invented them.[39] Subsequent authors continued to refer to the cheirosiphōnes, especially for use against siege towers, although Nikephoros II Phokas also advises their use in field armies, with the aim of disrupting the enemy formation.[67] Although both Leo VI and Nikephoros Phokas claim that the substance used in the cheirosiphōnes was the same as in the static devices used on ships, Haldon and Byrne consider that the former were manifestly different from their larger cousins, and theorize that the device was fundamentally different, "a simple syringe [that] squirted both liquid fire (presumably unignited) and noxious juices to repel enemy troops." However the illustrations of Hero's Poliorcetica show the cheirosiphōn also throwing the ignited substance.[1][82]
Grenades[edit]

Clay grenades that were filled with Greek fire, surrounded by caltrops, 10th–12th century, National Historical Museum, Athens, Greece

In its earliest form, Greek fire was hurled onto enemy forces by firing a burning cloth-wrapped ball, perhaps containing a flask, using a form of light catapult, most probably a seaborne variant of the Roman light catapult or onager. These were capable of hurling light loads—around 6 to 9 kg (13 to 20 lb)—a distance of 350–450 m (383–492 yd).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_fire

thanks for reading and sorry for my terrible english

Docm30 said:
I don't know what could give anyone the impression that this is a "historical" game.

I believe some people are unaware that Calradia is not a real place.

Considering the history of M&B, I feel the "rule of cool" is good enough. If the developers can provide some lore or logical explanation of why something is possible in the setting (even when it might not perfectly reflect the history of our world) I don't see why anyone cares.

If a certain amount or ratio of female soldiers is going to ruin the game for you I think you need to rethink your priorities.

Hello,
If this is where we can add Ideas then...

General
    M&B MMORPG  Where the players skills and not you characters level determine how far you go.  A game in which a peasant on their first day of play could kill a king.  (Needless to say the reason I dislike most MMORPGs such as world of warcraft once you get outside of about 10 levels you really cant play with the other person) So, in this game you level much like the first two M&B games however with less inequality between a level 1 char and one that has had about 2 weeks worth of investment.  This will result in experienced players actually helping new players and result in a non exclusive community for players and more people will buy and continue to pay for the game.  alright,  M&B is an action game therefore,  you will need to limit lag and keep pings low as well.  this can be done by having local severs (in game think of them as continents) severs that then host a-lot of rooms within them. make the rooms big enough to fit a castle/fort/village with room to spare.  set these up in a sort of grid or hex system.  then you have new players spawn into the lowest ping or closest sever.  However, the game should be as seemingly free as possible. so if a player wants to go from a US sever to one in China it should be possible ( that is if someone wants, they can put their guy on a ship for a day or two and once there suffer form ping and a language barrier).  I love sand box games so, NO Quests!  But, without quests what goals could there be?  Take Over The World! Players make goods, grow food, craft (Destructible) armor and (Destructible) weapons, Build the city's/villages/castles (one building at a time), and become the kings/lords/and merchants that make the world go round. With that players will want to protect all that they have done (therefor, they will keep playing and paying fees #evel laugh) and finally to promote the urge to create in this game you make it so all characters in this game can die and when that happens be gone forever! Let me explain.  when someone dies in the game they do not reincarnate. the player then takes control of one of the children that the characters has fathered.  Thus a need to have a home, a wife, and an amount of money (to feed them).  And the player can then decide what skills they would like to pass on to their children.  (Mount & Blade /The Sins of our Fathers/Feudal Lords/The Children of Kings/ ect)  Because, a game where you can go in half's on a bastard cant be all that bad

LLLLLLAAAAAAAG!!?
Some ideas to stop the lag... many rooms. you use a hex shaped room each side will have a (hit tab) then you will move to the room on the overall grid of rooms. if there are quite a few people in any one room you add a fog of war to the room therefore, lowering the amount of information needing to be sent to any one player in said room.  in towns or cities call it smog or something.

ok, read at your own risk
and gettin sleepy so MORE TO COME. if i feel like it...

Úlfheðinn said:
Docm30 said:
I don't know what could give anyone the impression that this is a "historical" game.

I believe some people are unaware that Calradia is not a real place.

Considering the history of M&B, I feel the "rule of cool" is good enough. If the developers can provide some lore or logical explanation of why something is possible in the setting (even when it might not perfectly reflect the history of our world) I don't see why anyone cares.

If a certain amount or ratio of female soldiers is going to ruin the game for you I think you need to rethink your priorities.

right, i dont care if there are female soldiers, i just dont want firearms on my native game, they can make it for expansion or mods sure but please not in native.

it will also be cool to kill a king or vassals because i dont want them joining other factions once i defeated their kingdom

128th_Can said:
No, seriously, I don't want female soldiers in my army, at least not as regular troops of some kingdom or something. Game goes in 1200s If there is no cannons in that game, there also shouldn't bbe female fighters, you can't shape a "historical" game with considering today's way of seeing things/people. It's like black slaves getting offended/sueing the people if someone calls them *****, in a game which goes around 1800s or something like that.

Calradia isn't earth and it isn't historical, plus bannerlord is set before its medieval period. I cant really believe some people have such a big issue with female soldiers.

Willhelm said:
plus bannerlord is set before its medieval period.
This kind of implies women were treated equal to men before the medieval period. Which is not at all the case. :razz: At all. Not at all. No. Also, it kind of is in the medieval period, just in the early one. Female characters I don't give a rat's ass about though; not that I'd want female troop types, but let players play as they want.

I agree with Inanch-Bilge.
I don't like the massive presence of women fighters. It is unrealistic, ridiculous and by our time feminist. Besides killing them isn't funny. However, I have no problem with some isolated female fighters, like in Warband.

Willhelm said:
Calradia isn't earth and it isn't historical, plus bannerlord is set before its medieval period. I cant really believe some people have such a big issue with female soldiers.

I don't see why people have to be such nuisances to force female soldiers/homosexual soldiers/transsexual soldiers into every game; "otherwise it's sexist".

Also spoilers, Calradia has always been unfriendly to female fighters/warriors (try a female protagonist, they'll laugh at you quite a lot) and I don't see any reason to modify the lore to satisfy a few feminists.

Besides guys, mods.

Many people like women, and it's not because they are politically correct. They like to see women as powerful action figures alongside men, because it reflects the society we live in today. This is also reflected in other forms of entertainment, and the Mount&Blade series is entertainment.
Some men have trouble with that. Some (but not all) of these also believe that women should stay in the kitchen. Others are history buffs that want to relive a medieval era. Sometimes it's hard to tell them apart. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom