Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 14 - Destructible Merlons

Users who are viewing this thread

As is traditional, this blog covers our previous major event, goes talks a bit about our experience and what we showed. This time it's E3, possibly the biggest gaming event of the year and the first time we've ever attended with our own booth. Our reveal was Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord's siege gameplay, which came in the form of this trailer and the extended gameplay video below.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/16

xdj1nn said:
AmateurHetman said:
Cpt. Nemo said:
Nordmann said:
I'm beginning to worry about ever seeing it at all. It shouldn't take 5 years for a game like this, particularly when the engine isn't exactly cutting edge in the first place.
They spent much of the first two years of development  on a new engine.

Thank you, at least someone knows.
5 years + is easily the average development time for a game. The difference is TW announced the start of development, most companies don't do that. We think it's just a year or two because the gaming companies are quiet until the game is sure to be released.

Pulling that info much? 5 years is the average between beginning of development til full release of AAA games.
For BL it should've taken 4, but it went past that (even they'd predicted 4 tbh). If this goes beyond 7 years, it's way too much. I'm hoping to see it released this year, although most of you scrubs doubt that, I think it's plausible.

How can you say Bannerlord would take less time? They had to build an engine from scratch with their lacking experience. AAA games aren't necessarily more complicated or time consuming than games like m&b.
Secondly they've been playing around with so many features, which unlike AAA games that are generic and boring, is very time consuming.

The Bowman said:
Can anyone enlight me on what an AAA game is? Please don't tell me they're `the most advanced, fun and sophisticated games`.
Video games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion.

The Bowman said:
Can anyone enlight me on what an AAA game is?

PR thingy, there is not really a convention for it and they like to change the meaning a lot  :mrgreen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

The term is analogous to the film industry term "blockbuster".[1]

Even though the 3 A's in "triple AAA games" does not stand for any specific acronym they are normally suggested to mean that a game requires:

A lot of time.
    A lot of resources.
    A lot of money.

AmateurHetman said:
xdj1nn said:
AmateurHetman said:
Cpt. Nemo said:
Nordmann said:
I'm beginning to worry about ever seeing it at all. It shouldn't take 5 years for a game like this, particularly when the engine isn't exactly cutting edge in the first place.
They spent much of the first two years of development  on a new engine.

Thank you, at least someone knows.
5 years + is easily the average development time for a game. The difference is TW announced the start of development, most companies don't do that. We think it's just a year or two because the gaming companies are quiet until the game is sure to be released.

Pulling that info much? 5 years is the average between beginning of development til full release of AAA games.
For BL it should've taken 4, but it went past that (even they'd predicted 4 tbh). If this goes beyond 7 years, it's way too much. I'm hoping to see it released this year, although most of you scrubs doubt that, I think it's plausible.

How can you say Bannerlord would take less time? They had to build an engine from scratch with their lacking experience. AAA games aren't necessarily more complicated or time consuming than games like m&b.
Secondly they've been playing around with so many features, which unlike AAA games that are generic and boring, is very time consuming.

That's why I've said 5 years, not 7... They have begun dev in 2010.

AmateurHetman said:
2010 they started planning and conceptualising, that doesn't mean any programming/engine building occurred.

We can't know for sure can we? I suspect that it takes up to 2 months at most to fully plan a game...

kalarhan said:
xdj1nn said:
I suspect that it takes up to 2 months at most to fully plan a game...

lol good one!  :lol:

this topic is great for a drinking game. Every time someone goes off-topic and talks nonsense we drink.

Do you know how backstage production works? I think you don't...

As I said before, I doubt they announced the game BEFORE they actually had an engine in the works for it. If they did, then I think it was a mistake, a rather large PR blunder.

Back
Top Bottom