Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Bannerlord blog regulars and newcomers. In this entry, we are once again responding to your demands to hear more about single player gameplay - specifically, looking at the overworld map and some of the improvements made there. We revealed the map at Gamescom and mentioned some new features in the last blog. Here, we'll take what we've revealed and go into some more detail.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

I hope that In Bannerlord you can pick your age for example. Create a 16 year old character and then roam the world looking for adventure and gaining experience till you are a little older. Then start your own warband and raid villages make a name for yourself. Eventually becoming a feared Person with a wealth from all the raiding. Then becoming a lord. See how much you can accomplish before Age and time Back stab you. Have a family and raise your heir to continue your legacy.

Arthur_Pendragon said:
Have a family and raise your heir to continue your legacy.

what happens if you are 40 years old, unmarried, and die 5 years later without a heir? Can you choose a companion to be your adopted son?

kalarhan said:
Arthur_Pendragon said:

what happens if you are 40 years old, unmarried, and die 5 years later without a heir? Can you choose a companion to be your adopted son?

RIP Playthrough I suppose.

Arthur_Pendragon said:
I hope that In Bannerlord you can pick your age for example. Create a 16 year old character and then roam the world looking for adventure and gaining experience till you are a little older.

That would be good. You would start the game with more time to play, but would naturally not have as much interesting gear, money or skills as an older starting character of the same background. Also it could be interesting if NPCs treated you differently, not according you the same respect they would a fellow mature adult. Perhaps different missions and conversation responses could be given depending on how the NPC sees you, and your age would be a factor in this. It would be easier for you to get employment as a guard or other subordinate than try to lead a lot of experienced fighters yourself, because they see a youth and don't respect your authority. Starting as an older character could give you more authority by default.

Assuming there is something similar to the background choices that one makes when beginning a Warband character, you might get more stages with an older starting character than a youth. For example, you choose to be a blacksmith's son, then you become a merchant's apprentice at 12, then the game starts at 16- but you could instead choose to go on to the next stage, such as becoming manager of a caravan, then an independent merchant in your late twenties, then you start the game with more money and skills, particularly those related to trade. You would have a modest amount of fame as well as money and negotiating skills, and these factors would aid you in dealing with NPCs whether you tried to strictly play as a merchant for your entire playthrough or immediately went the standard route of adventurer/warrior=> lord/king. Begin even later, at 50, and you have a short playing time with a rich, skilled merchant with hair growing out of his nostrils, a paunch and your martial skills have long since faded.

That line of thought leads me onto another idea for the background of your character- perhaps with these extra choices for older characters, there could be a small chance of a random event effecting your character. Taking the merchant example; say after becoming an apprentice you choose to become a caravan master, but the game tells you that a few months into this role you were wounded in a bandit raid that resulted in a lot of goods being stolen and your physical stats being permanently limited to a lower ceiling. You are now faced with a new choice to make on your fate:

1) The merchant master feels grateful for your attempts to protect his merchandise. He compensates you for your injuries with a large amount of money and independent ownership of a group of pack animals and porters.
2) The merchant master partly blames you for the misfortune. He parts ways with you. You have modest savings but no stain on your reputation.

The second option is clearly worse than the first, but some players might wish to take it simply for role playing purposes. More importantly it could open up further new background opportunities that would be unavailable with the first choice. For example you might choose to serve as caravan master with another merchant (for lower pay, due to your injuries), try another profession (your modest savings and business acumen would help) or seek out the bandits that attacked you. This latter option could result in further calamity, such as maiming you further or even death- restart character creation- or you could find the bandit hideout and choose to:

1) Strike a deal with the leader, offering your knowledge of caravan behaviour- particularly of those belonging to your previous employer. Become quite rich but also a hated outlaw in the region.
2) Reveal the hideout to the local lord's soldiers, so that the bandits are hanged. You receive a modest reward and a big boost to your reputation amongst the local nobility and traders, and are hated by any surviving members of the gang.

kalarhan said:
Arthur_Pendragon said:

Why not? Emperor Augustus was Julius Caesars Adopted son his actual son was killed i believe not quite sure have to refresh my memory.
But it could be an interesting concept, securing your legacy. I believe they do have Permanent death at the moment and working on being able to kill lords so its certainly a possibility that they are making a succession feature like in CK2

Arthur_Pendragon said:
kalarhan said:
Arthur_Pendragon said:

Why not? Emperor Augustus was Julius Caesars Adopted son his actual son was killed i believe not quite sure have to refresh my memory.
But it could be an interesting concept, securing your legacy. I believe they do have Permanent death at the moment and working on being able to kill lords so its certainly a possibility that they are making a succession feature like in CK2

Gaius J Caesar never had any legitimate sons, only a daughter, Julia. She was married to Pompey and died during child birth. Cleopatra claimed her son, Cesarion was Ceasar's, but Ceasar himself never officially recognized the boy (he even named Octavian his heir after Cesarion had already been born). Cesarion was killed by Octavian anyways to avoid any doubt, so, yeah... pretty much a dead end.

Arthur_Pendragon said:
kalarhan said:
Arthur_Pendragon said:

What if you choose not to have any companions? This feature of an heir system doesn't make sense to me, it feels like it's forcing the player to do things they don't necessarily want to.

i dont know if there anyone has ask this question but im qurious. you know to find one by one to bothersome.
jump to the question . is there any decendant in M&B bannerlord ? like having son or daughter jump to their marriage, father die the son continue the story,
throne conflict between family. if there none of that story in bannerlord can u make one ?
pardon my english. i was hoping u reply ASAP.

On the subject of a road system in the overall world map:

As this is the thread concerning the overall world map... will there be roads added to it? Is there already anything known about this aspect? I always thought that the map really lacked some kind of road system in warband (I know that a few roads have been added, but I am talking about the general outlook here). I think that if it would be something like in the Gekokujo mod, it would be already awesome, they don't need to be eeeverryywhereee and not everybody has to follow them. But like in Gekokujo at least most bands would follow these roads... If you click a destination, you follow this road automatically, unless you explicitly click off the road... Most caravans, bandits, and armies follow these also, crossing each other smoothly or fleeing off the road if necessary. I really like this addition, not only the aesthetic aspect, but also the speed bonus it gives (at least I have that impression), so I see no reason why they wouldn't add a road system...

Viking1978 said:

As this is the thread concerning the overall world map... will there be roads added to it? Is there already anything known about this aspect? I always thought that the map really lacked some kind of road system in warband (I know that a few roads have been added, but I am talking about the general outlook here). I think that if it would be something like in the Gekokujo mod, it would be already awesome, they don't need to be eeeverryywhereee and not everybody has to follow them. But like in Gekokujo at least most bands would follow these roads... If you click a destination, you follow this road automatically, unless you explicitly click off the road... Most caravans, bandits, and armies follow these also, crossing each other smoothly or fleeing off the road if necessary. I really like this addition, not only the aesthetic aspect, but also the speed bonus it gives (at least I have that impression), so I see no reason why they wouldn't add a road system...

182 days later I am here to tell you, it was like that in the Native Warband, not just with mods like Gekokujo

Rackie said:
Viking1978 said:

182 days later I am here to tell you, it was like that in the Native Warband, not just with mods like Gekokujo
0 days later I am here to tell you that the slight road system in Native was not like this, and was terrible. Most (almost none) parties did not follow any roads, and I only realized there was any kind of road system when my party went past my village only to turn around and use a road to come back to it. I would love to see an actual system in BL

Back
Top Bottom