Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Bannerlord blog regulars and newcomers. In this entry, we are once again responding to your demands to hear more about single player gameplay - specifically, looking at the overworld map and some of the improvements made there. We revealed the map at Gamescom and mentioned some new features in the last blog. Here, we'll take what we've revealed and go into some more detail.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

That would be interesting, having to defend a wagon train from assault, and it would add more diversity to caravan raids, having cavalry ride alongside a moving caravan, trying to kill the driver or the horses.

Jordan7 said:
Duel wielding should be added and if they don't put that in then this bannerlord would be an incomplete game

No, stop fanboying over dual wielding. People didn't actually properly dual wield in real life.
Some sword fighters  had something like a parry knife but that was very specific people during a very specfic time frame and not used in battles, but rarther duels or something.

I would like to see taleworlds implement realistic dual wielding just to see people cry.

but if there was a weapon feature I think this game should have it would be weapons which are realistically cumbersome. people did not use double-handed swords to end tavern brawls and people certainly didn't put lances in their pockets. furthermore anything draw from the back took a long time to draw. I'd like to see people having to drop weapons to get rid of them. off course for this the weapon pick-up system should also be better.

anothr interesting thing to see would be supporting personnel. water carriers and lance bearers for instance. though those would be harder to implement.

SenorZorros said:
I'd like to see people having to drop weapons to get rid of them.

I like this idea, and wrote about it myself a long time ago. I think players would accept it and get used to it rapidly; developers are often unnecessarily worried, I think, that people will rebel against something that makes a game less simple. It would end the instant weapon swapping that looks bad and makes preposterous gameplay; archer switches to melee too fast, two hander guy whips out his shield and puts it away again too fast. If you want to sheathe one weapon, you should have to go through a quick animation to do that before the next weapon is drawn. If you need to draw the next weapon without delay, you get that at the expense of dropping the current weapon. You could use the current system of using the mouse wheel/selecting a weapon with the correct number key for the drop-and-draw and use another key (or one of the extra mouse buttons if you have them) to do the sheathe-and-draw. Or, of course, you could use the mouse wheel for the sheathe-and-draw if you wished.

It would be good for general immersion and enjoyment of the game. Seeing someone discard a sword when they realise a horseman is approaching the rear of their group would convey the drama of the moment, the sense of haste on the foot soldier's part. In Warband, we see his sword magically disappear from his hand and appear at his belt, and his drawing animation seems to begin with the spear already halfway over his shoulder, very unnatural and annoying.

In multiplayer it would subtly change tactics for the better, necessitating a realistic choice on the player's part- "do I stop shooting arrows now and sheathe my bow before drawing my sword, or get another shot or two away before dropping the bow?" A horseman and a foot soldier are circling me, and the foot soldier is closing in- "do I sheathe my long spear now to draw my sword and shield? Because I cannot rely on being able to change back to the spear in the blink of an eye once the foot soldier is dead, and the horseman will close in on me before I do".

As it stands, you can be 10 feet from an enemy and only able to run or swing with less than realistic speed, yet he has the magic powers of instant weapon sheathing and fast drawing. It is not consistent and this is frustrating. It often makes me quit multiplayer matches.

DanAngleland said:
SenorZorros said:

I like this idea, and wrote about it myself a long time ago. I think players would accept it and get used to it rapidly; developers are often unnecessarily worried, I think, that people will rebel against something that makes a game less simple. It would end the instant weapon swapping that looks bad and makes preposterous gameplay; archer switches to melee too fast, two hander guy whips out his shield and puts it away again too fast. If you want to sheathe one weapon, you should have to go through a quick animation to do that before the next weapon is drawn. If you need to draw the next weapon without delay, you get that at the expense of dropping the current weapon. You could use the current system of using the mouse wheel/selecting a weapon with the correct number key for the drop-and-draw and use another key (or one of the extra mouse buttons if you have them) to do the sheathe-and-draw. Or, of course, you could use the mouse wheel for the sheathe-and-draw if you wished.

It would be good for general immersion and enjoyment of the game. Seeing someone discard a sword when they realise a horseman is approaching the rear of their group would convey the drama of the moment, the sense of haste on the foot soldier's part. In Warband, we see his sword magically disappear from his hand and appear at his belt, and his drawing animation seems to begin with the spear already halfway over his shoulder, very unnatural and annoying.

In multiplayer it would subtly change tactics for the better, necessitating a realistic choice on the player's part- "do I stop shooting arrows now and sheathe my bow before drawing my sword, or get another shot or two away before dropping the bow?" A horseman and a foot soldier are circling me, and the foot soldier is closing in- "do I sheathe my long spear now to draw my sword and shield? Because I cannot rely on being able to change back to the spear in the blink of an eye once the foot soldier is dead, and the horseman will close in on me before I do".

As it stands, you can be 10 feet from an enemy and only able to run or swing with less than realistic speed, yet he has the magic powers of instant weapon sheathing and fast drawing. It is not consistent and this is frustrating. It often makes me quit multiplayer matches.

I get your point and I think that the animations are basically broken in Warband when it comes to weapon switching, but I think BL should not be slower in this regard.
It could make the game less dynamic IMO. Maybe increase the time it takes to switch weapons a little bit, but please keep the general speed in the base version of the game.
A mod could make these changes and more, I would certainly try to check it out if it would really make the game better.

By the way, where is that blog?

Pilum said:
DanAngleland said:
SenorZorros said:

I get your point and I think that the animations are basically broken in Warband when it comes to weapon switching, but I think BL should not be slower in this regard.
It could make the game less dynamic IMO. Maybe increase the time it takes to switch weapons a little bit, but please keep the general speed in the base version of the game.
A mod could make these changes and more, I would certainly try to check it out if it would really make the game better.

By the way, where is that blog?
i think it should play both the animation for putting away your current gear and drawing your new gear. To speed it up you could drop your current gear then switch. Problem solved.

also, one form of dual wielding we really need is the spear and dagger combination where one holds a dagger in his front hand while handling a spear so that he can switch immediately when an opponent closes in. quickly drawn daggers for surprise attacks would be nice too. maybe we could even have someone draw his sword with his right hand while holding his bow in his left to stwo away during combat or continue firing once the nearby threat is death with. off course this would hamper combat ability but that is a trade-off one has to make.

lastly it would be quite epic to be able to hold a knife in the mouth.

as long as the knife is held the right way the damage should be relatively slim. also, not many people get shield-bashed in the face. lastly, this feature would be more for fun than for practicality.

After reading through some of these suggestions I am really glad that 1) None of you are doing anything related to developing this game and 2) That the actual developers don't seem interested in implementing any of this cancer and ruining arguably the best Medieval game ever made. Dual wielding? Are you serious? Did you just watch Star Wars and now you are a master swordsman? Dropping weapons to use a new one? Wtf? This is pure anti-fun. This benefits no one and makes no sense. Ever heard of a sheath? You know that things you put your sword in so you can use your hands? Or a belt? Some people...

The people that first mentioned dual wielding a few pages ago were joking, so no, they weren't serious. As for dropping weapons, if you'd read the entire post that I made then it would be clear that I am well aware that sheaths were used, and I also think it is not at all fun the way things are currently. The point is, there is no animation for sheathing the weapon in Warband, it is done instantaneously, and drawing the weapon seems to begin halfway through. The current system is not fun in my opinion, and it is undoubtedly unrealistic. I've played Warband online since beta in early 2010, and still play it today, but there are lots of things that could be improved.

as someone who played this game since 2015 (yeah... I'm fairly new) I assumed that those things were already known and didn't need mentioning. also you should probably look at people's stance before assuming they want to use fantasy techniques.

now if taleworlds had some way to let players prepare weapons so they can be drawn quickly, that would be great. though I do not know how this was done historically

I'm pretty sure that people didn't simply pull a pike out of their asses, and here comes the "realism vs. fun" dillema, because otherwise you'd need to drop that pike in order to draw a sword.

how is that not fun?

the only problem I see is that the pick-up system of the game is fairly horrendous. it should be easier to select a weapon you (or someone else) just dropped. in fact I wouldn't mind a hotkey for when you are standing next to it. "press y to pick up the spear you just dropped".

something I do wonder though is realistic cavalry lances would be fun. after all you would lose them quite soon requiring you to get back to the lance bearer.

Well, better troops could have a lance 'holster' hanging from the saddle, that was something used in real life. Of course if you dropped the lance, yes, you would have to go back for it or find another one somewhere if you wanted, but the advantage of cavalry is that you can move quickly, so it isn't as big a drawback for cavalry as it is for infantry.

I was more talking about the classic "pheasant stuck on lance" problem. though this might be a good way to keep couching as powerful as it should be while keeping it balanced. couching needs some reworking too though. I really hate it when you can't use it because you are not going fast enough and by the time you are getting fast enough you don't have time to couch anymore.

My bad, I didn't see that the dual wielding was a joke (thank god). As for dropping, I see what you're saying that it makes no sense to be carrying around a gigantic lance / pike but I just don't think there's a better solution that doesn't add tedious and annoying nuances to the game. I very much agree that sheathing needs better animations and mechanics.

But for me the bigger issue I wish they would address is an armor hitbox and penetration system. The current HP based system made sense in 2007; but nowadays there's so many better alternatives. World of Tanks / Warthunder are good examples of a penetration and hitbox system that could be applied rather easily to M&B. It would be awesome for weapons like rapiers to behave somewhat like they did in real life.

Swaybacked Wombat said:
After reading through some of these suggestions I am really glad that 1) None of you are doing anything related to developing this game and 2) That the actual developers don't seem interested in implementing any of this cancer and ruining arguably the best Medieval game ever made. Dual wielding? Are you serious? Did you just watch Star Wars and now you are a master swordsman? Dropping weapons to use a new one? Wtf? This is pure anti-fun. This benefits no one and makes no sense. Ever heard of a sheath? You know that things you put your sword in so you can use your hands? Or a belt? Some people...
true. I trust TW to make a great game.

SenorZorros said:
also, one form of dual wielding we really need is the spear and dagger combination where one holds a dagger in his front hand while handling a spear so that he can switch immediately when an opponent closes in. quickly drawn daggers for surprise attacks would be nice too. maybe we could even have someone draw his sword with his right hand while holding his bow in his left to stwo away during combat or continue firing once the nearby threat is death with. off course this would hamper combat ability but that is a trade-off one has to make.

lastly it would be quite epic to be able to hold a knife in the mouth.

sorry but i cant see how yer being combatable if yer wielding both a spear and a dagger? because spears are usually 2handed or one handed with a shield for a reason, never heard nor seen this kind o dual fighting with a spear and dagger, neither dualwielding a spear and a sword. though right me if im wrong but i cant fer any good reason see this as balanced fighting.

Back
Top Bottom