Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Bannerlord blog regulars and newcomers. In this entry, we are once again responding to your demands to hear more about single player gameplay - specifically, looking at the overworld map and some of the improvements made there. We revealed the map at Gamescom and mentioned some new features in the last blog. Here, we'll take what we've revealed and go into some more detail.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

Rongar said:
TheBarbarianGamer said:
Rongar said:
TheBarbarianGamer said:
you should not be able to turn your head 180 degrees and even more... 
There is not ablity to turn a head 180 degrees in WB or even in MB. However unability to turn head 180 degrees it does not mean that it's not possible to look back.

In the video the person did turn the head 180 degrees...
No. The person turns all torso, not just head.

Yeah it is still not possible. Silly people trying to defend silly things is just silly

Atardecer said:
I do hope that horrendous map font will be changed for Bannerlord. There must be better out there, no?

I agree, the font screams "low-res" for some reason and looks out of place or like a placeholder.
There are such cool medieval fonts out there (just google "medieval fonts"), why not use one?

Stromming said:
Rongar said:
TheBarbarianGamer said:
Rongar said:
TheBarbarianGamer said:
you should not be able to turn your head 180 degrees and even more... 
There is not ablity to turn a head 180 degrees in WB or even in MB. However unability to turn head 180 degrees it does not mean that it's not possible to look back.

In the video the person did turn the head 180 degrees...
No. The person turns all torso, not just head.

Yeah it is still not possible. Silly people trying to defend silly things is just silly
If it's not possible for you, it does mean that it's not possible for a normally physically developed person.

And he even did not use the stirrups to stand up that could help to turn even further.

i think MrMundy is misunderstood, that Rongar just give example that human can turn 180 degrees twisting their torso to look back not like an owl that can just turn their head

Pilum said:
Atardecer said:
I do hope that horrendous map font will be changed for Bannerlord. There must be better out there, no?

I agree, the font screams "low-res" for some reason and looks out of place or like a placeholder.
There are such cool medieval fonts out there (just google "medieval fonts"), why not use one?

maybe because that font is already associated with M&B and is easy to read, i really don't mind it, there are some mods who change the font to a more medieval one and it just hurt my eyes trying to read the name of a fief while with M&B classic font you know for sure that Praven is Praven and not "ldarvvein" q

vonbalt said:
Pilum said:
Atardecer said:

maybe because that font is already associated with M&B and is easy to read, i really don't mind it, there are some mods who change the font to a more medieval one and it just hurt my eyes trying to read the name of a fief while with M&B classic font you know for sure that Praven is Praven and not "ldarvvein" q

It still looks bad though. There are easy to read, more stylish medieval fonts out there. Just saying...

Pilum said:
It still looks bad though. There are easy to read, more stylish medieval fonts out there. Just saying...
I don't think it's a necessity. Changing the font would just aggravate people who don't like whatever new one is picked. And I doubt it would do much for immersion considering the text you're changing is NOT actually written anywhere in game.

The current font is very easy to read and associated with M&B already. I'm fine with it and I'm willing to bet the majority of people are as well. But there are obviously people like yourself who aren't. So for your sakes I hope making a new font for the game is easier this time around. Because I don't see them changing it for native when this one works perfectly well.

Shidan said:
Pilum said:
I don't think it's a necessity. Changing the font would just aggravate people who don't like whatever new one is picked. And I doubt it would do much for immersion considering the text you're changing is NOT actually written anywhere in game.

The current font is very easy to read and associated with M&B already. I'm fine with it and I'm willing to bet the majority of people are as well. But there are obviously people like yourself who aren't. So for your sakes I hope making a new font for the game is easier this time around. Because I don't see them changing it for native when this one works perfectly well.
Im one of those people :grin: only wish the distant village text was easier to read. It looks like the names get bolder and blurry the further away the camera is

An idea

How about just like how you can make and craft your own weapons, you can craft and make armor for troops that you can design and make after you start your own kingdom? IE. if you wanted to be a nordic style you would have to have lots of pelts and leather with some chain. The feature for the villagers for converting raw resources into usable materials can be expanded to accommodate for this.

Being able to have some control over your own kingdom's troop types would be nice, but I'm not expecting it to be something particularly well fleshed.

I like the original mount and blade text. I think its perfectly fine honestly. I do think the particular shade of red used in the screenshot shown in blog 12 makes it tiring to look at, though.

CraziKin said:
An idea

How about just like how you can make and craft your own weapons, you can craft and make armor for troops that you can design and make after you start your own kingdom? IE. if you wanted to be a nordic style you would have to have lots of pelts and leather with some chain. The feature for the villagers for converting raw resources into usable materials can be expanded to accommodate for this.
I'm afraid that while weapons, especially swords, are just a long piece of steel with a limited amount of additional pieces attached. Armour would be more complicated and almost require a professional cad-program. furthermore weapon stats are a lot easier to determine while armour's defense stats are extremely abstracted and fairly arbitrary. for instance, how would you determine the effect of adding a besagew? what if the torso would be bare? what if it would be covered by a gambeson? you can't just make the number go up or down. what about pieces of armour that affect each other?

it would be possible to let the player choose from a (hopefully fairly extensive) set of premade armours, more or less just choose their equipment but I am unsure if I would like that either. in the middle ages most soldiers bought their own equipment which lead to quite a large difference in look. something I would like to be maintained.

also, I hope that this time the upgrade costs would be a little less ridiculously low. I'd love to know who supplies my huscarls and knights :wink:

It could be possible to a degree. Viking Conquest's armours are set up in a way that swapping the chain-material, under-gambeson, belt-pouch, furs/cloaks etc is fairly easy with OpenBRF. But you're right that changing the actual shape/form of the main armour pieces is unlikely.

SenorZorros said:
CraziKin said:
also, I hope that this time the upgrade costs would be a little less ridiculously low. I'd love to know who supplies my huscarls and knights :wink:

Well, I always thought that in Brytenwalda it was impossible to play because if you lose your army once, you had to spent not only a LOT of money, but wait very long for your soldiers to acquire the necessary experience to upgrade.

Normally my army was made of hundreds of pesants or militias and only a dozen of real 'warriors'. That was very annoying. Too much time was needed to acquire a professional army. The game was very hard because of this.

Viking Conquest is a great balance between native and Brytenwalda. Peasants take very long to become elite warriors, but it's not that hard to have a true army.

I've never played brytenwalda so I can't say anything about that but I do indeed think viking conquest has a fairly good balance. I do think though that the training time is a bit too long. especially since your character has to level up 12 times just to be able to train recruits. in general warband training is good enough though possibly a little too fast. what annoyed me was that a swadian knight costs 200 denars in upgrade costs and has between 7978(lowest equipment, only a lance and morningstar) and  11399(best equipment, most expensive weaponry) denars of gear excluding modifiers. a high level party could easily train one using the trainer skill in two weeks. assuming maximum leadership the cost would be 31 denars per week. this means that for 262 denars you get a soldier wearing more than 7978 denars of gear! and it would cost even more if you would buy it from a merchant...

i think it would be quite realistic to have upgrade cost something akin to the difference between the price of the gear the unit has now and the gear of the tier above. it would upgrading more expensive but it would also make the elite troops reasonably out-of reach as well as giving a reason for players to try cheaper alternatives to the full-swadian knight party.

huscarls cost 380 in training and have only 4340(lowest armour and only nordic short war sword) to 7106 (most expensive) denars of equipment...

Remember that your men are also supposed to be arming themselves from the gear taken after battles (or selling their share of that gear when you go to town). That's why you only see a fraction of the loot. This is abstracted into the system that's actually used.

Back
Top Bottom