Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Bannerlord blog regulars and newcomers. In this entry, we are once again responding to your demands to hear more about single player gameplay - specifically, looking at the overworld map and some of the improvements made there. We revealed the map at Gamescom and mentioned some new features in the last blog. Here, we'll take what we've revealed and go into some more detail.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

GREAT SUGGESTIONS I HAVE HERE !!! I bet most of the players shall love and agree on ! I myself am playing MB since I was a kid , since it first released !!! I suggest CO OP Single Player (make it real time , like Europa universalis 4 , time just goes on and the ai and the players have to act while time is going !!!) !!!! MORE MASSIVE BATTLES IN SP , BETTER MP and servers supporting over 1000 ppl !!!!TAKE MY MONEY AND GIVE ME THIS GAME!!!!! If you agree with me just spread awareness ! Repost , quote my post and I hope we shall get positive feedback from the game creators... we all know it is damn hard to keep up with players suggestions so let us all make it a bit easier for the moderators !

lol nice Turkish you have there bud, i think we will see massive battles. This SS is from leaked alpha screenshoots ;

3x56E9B.jpg

Varrak said:
lol nice Turkish you have there bud, i think we will see massive battles. This SS is from leaked alpha screenshoots ;

3x56E9B.jpg
You know, I never really realised how large that battle was until now.  Look at how many more soldiers there are in the back left of the picture.
(I know that this is just a test battle, but if that's what Bannerlord is capable of...)

Sekij said:
So Stamina should be something on the Map, and if the Stamina meter is low in a battle you have disadvantages on your Body and your men. I think thats the most logical Stamina system no the Dark Souls style where you do 3 swings and than your out of stamina and 5 seconds later you are full of energy ^^"

Diasadvantages would be, slower run, slower hit and less damage by attack i quess ?
I would actually prefer something akin to the older total war games (haven't played the new ones) where long term activity would drain faster. you'd be tired after 300 swings. not three. it is actually quite realistic considering what you are doing would probably beat even the toughest of workouts. I do however think that it would be good if you could allow a unit to rest either by simply letting them stand on the field or by recalling and replacing them. they would be put back into the reinforcement pool and gradually regain stamina.

Varrak said:

3x56E9B.jpg

Is there an fps shown anywhere there? Could very well be from some sort of stress-test where the battle size is higher than normal (would explain the graphics being right down). Dude maybe thought "Hey, this is a cool shot to leak" despite having only 2fps or something.

Would be nice though.

You can get a mod for Warband that lets you have battles with thousands of soldiers, but it's most likely gonna fry your PC because of how badly the game is optimized. If they fixed that, then there will be a chance for bigger battles. But there is another issue. The way you command your armies is very ill suited for such big engagements. And complete lack of AI is another issue.
They would have to do a lot of work to allow for battles of this size.

It looks good but I am somewhat confused by the continuing absence of roads in Warband maps.

Every real map has roads, even if its just major trade routes. A map looks weird without them. Roads connects the towns, allows the eye to flow across the beautiful features and breath life into the whole, making it feel alive.

I fear this is one of the reason Warband maps look so odd, with isolated settlements and castles unconnected to one another. The mind expects them. Like a face without eyebrows, something just looks off without them. Or a historical reason: roads pretty important and the success of every major pre modern civilisation can be measured in part by the quality of their roads/infrastructure network. Please put at least a few connecting the major settlements, it could even be a town upgrade to improve wealth, or if you wanted to be really advanced fade the green grass terrain overtime where there is constant traffic between villages and towns.

I am having trouble comprehending this oversight and I can only assume this is down to a pathfinding issue and that AI would not use them, though giving them say a 150% movement boost the AI should use them somewhat when choosing the quickest route from point A to B. Even if the AI completely ignore them it would improve the visuals dramatically.

Add roads please!!  :grin:

There actually are a few roads in Warband, but not many. (Such as near Tosdhar, Ryibelet and from Aldelen to Hrus Castle)
Frankly, I don't really know what it's so. It's not like they didn't think of adding them, since there are a few, but it seems like they noticed after putting them on that for some reason they don't work or something and stopped making more.
So it's not an oversight, it must've been their conscious decision to not make more of them.

Yea I remember seeing literally one or two as you said, that's why I thought it might be a pathfinding issue. As you can see from my post above it detracts from their otherwise great visuals. It makes settlement placement look incredibly random

blog12_west.jpg
Well, there's some roads in Bannerlord at least. I seem to remember them saying world-map ai was being greatly improved so I'm hopeful for efefctive road-use by npc parties.

Having gathered most input and general expectations I posted a poll concerning BL, as a reaction to latest posted combat video which didn't seem to bring much novelty except graphics - what aspect would you find most important to be improved on? A simple vote would help for statistical evidence: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=344748.new#new

I'm following Bannerlord for quite a while (though not very intensively) and I must say: It looks great so far! Beautiful to look at.

In Warband, I usually roleplay as a spy or courtier, taking missions from lords and guildmasters. Even though Warband is great, I hope diplomacy and subterfuge will be slightly more prominent in Bannerlord, by being able to work for an actual spymaster of a lord or king for example. That would be awesome.

Smorkin said:
It looks good but I am somewhat confused by the continuing absence of roads in Warband maps.

I would disagree with you on this if you consider that the armies and caravans are not to scale with the cities, for units to actually use the roads they would have to be constantly overlapping and passing through eachother, add bandits and I don't see how it's possible to have units follow the road. A road that is only used by 1 out of five units seems pointless and does not add to the realism at all.

Fenrir1990 said:
In Warband, I usually roleplay as a spy or courtier, taking missions from lords and guildmasters. Even though Warband is great, I hope diplomacy and subterfuge will be slightly more prominent in Bannerlord, by being able to work for an actual spymaster of a lord or king for example. That would be awesome.
Now that would be cool.

SenorZorros said:
Rongar said:
For M&B they definitely were reading suggestions. And I believe that they implemented those of them that were reasonable in sense effort-result.
But since that I don't think they need to read new suggestion because amount of suggestion that were made in time of M&B betas enough for 4-5 games. And frankly, I don't see really new suggestions.
then why haven't they already implemented the option to switch out troops :wink:
I could guess that because it requires efforts but it's doubtful feature for game play.

kraggrim said:
blog12_west.jpg
Well, there's some roads in Bannerlord at least. I seem to remember them saying world-map ai was being greatly improved so I'm hopeful for efefctive road-use by npc parties.

I just couldn't see any roads in their new video - which sparked my comment. There is possibly a little faded one near the bridge centre right, but their general absence else where is stark. I am crossing my fingers as well.

Quidfit said:
Smorkin said:

I would disagree with you on this if you consider that the armies and caravans are not to scale with the cities, for units to actually use the roads they would have to be constantly overlapping and passing through eachother, add bandits and I don't see how it's possible to have units follow the road. A road that is only used by 1 out of five units seems pointless and does not add to the realism at all.

My comment was more about map aesthetics, as this post linked from their new map video, yet it could equally applies to realism. To say as you do that following roads doesn't add to the realism, then I am curious exactly which real world you live in. I didn't suggest on the map every man should walk down the road, nor a separate animation. I meant the party just generally follow on top of it (perhaps with a movement bonus).  If it makes it easier to imagine, think of it demonstrative of the wagons/mules and other heavier parts of the warband on the road and the rest of the chaps lumber through the surrounding countryside. Even on a small country track 1 out of 5 units is not useless at all - because that 1 would be least flexible part, carrying the food/weapons/armour/tradegoods etc. Though its pretty logical small warbands of less than a hundred would column up and tramp down the easy dirt path rather than end up covered in mud/sand/hedges. But really this is a game - realism is far far away.

However, I strongly suggest walking out your front door and taking a walk outside this afternoon, see how difficult it is to beeline through the fields and hedgerows. A bit of 'realism' will do you good and you will find not much has changed regarding this in many thousands of years. Armies generally followed roads whenever they could, or did 'a Roman' and built them as they went, then followed them home.

There was a comment about roads & bandits that seemed irrelevant. Warband already has bandits - roads have no real need to affect them specifically. If roads exist, and people use them, then logically a few bandit ambushes on roads likely to happen by default.

Back
Top Bottom