Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Bannerlord blog regulars and newcomers. In this entry, we are once again responding to your demands to hear more about single player gameplay - specifically, looking at the overworld map and some of the improvements made there. We revealed the map at Gamescom and mentioned some new features in the last blog. Here, we'll take what we've revealed and go into some more detail.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

small question, does this forum have a way to tag people? I don't like quoting the post above me.

now to the topic, I must congratulate you on your ability to learn Russian. I couldn't learn German and I literally lived a stones throw from the German border (that is, if you use a cannon for the throwing) :smile:.  however, not everyone is able to learn languages. especially in a country where almost everything is in the native language and the access to the foreign language is limited. therefore I don't think it is possible to really expect all of china to learn English. also, I believe the Chinese internet is quite separated and I don't think youtube, or at least English youtube, is very popular there. a fan translation would off course solve this problem though I personally am a bit worried about the increasing practice of (indie) developers to expect the fans to do or finish the work for them...

the youtuber sounds interesting though a bit presumptions. I might look into him but I think I'll stay with my current selection of youtubers to link when discussing historical realism :wink:.

TheBarbarianGamer said:
I would also like if they add a feature that if you wear heavy armor that you will move slower then when you wear light armor. I think that is in Warband already but you almost see no effect then... :???:
It's already present in the game, more noticeable in multiplayer though.
Also, it wouldn't be realistic to make the difference that big, you can still run fairly quickly even in full plate armor, you'll just tire a lot more easily compared to wearing something lighter. And since there is no stamina in M&B(and probably won't be), it can't be reflected.

KuroiNekouPL said:
TheBarbarianGamer said:
I would also like if they add a feature that if you wear heavy armor that you will move slower then when you wear light armor. I think that is in Warband already but you almost see no effect then... :???:
Also, it wouldn't be realistic to make the difference that big, you can still run fairly quickly even in full plate armor, you'll just tire a lot more easily compared to wearing something lighter. And since there is no stamina in M&B(and probably won't be), it can't be reflected.

Yeah i agree, here is an nice Video about how mobile a Full Plate Soldier was (and how "effective" a direct blow with the sword is).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q

KuroiNekouPL said:
TheBarbarianGamer said:

I said that it was in the game already. However, if there would be a stamina bar, it should not have a to large effect when you are out of stamina, i would accept it if your stamina is empty, you can't do special attacks. (If there will be) I just would not want that when you are out of stamina, you can't do any damage and can't run, like in some mods and viking conquest, You should only go about 10 - 20% slower when you are out of stamina. I also don't want the stamina to drain as fast as in skyrim... There, when you do 2 attacks, you are out of stamina...  :eek:

Sekij said:
KuroiNekouPL said:
TheBarbarianGamer said:

Yeah i agree, here is an nice Video about how mobile a Full Plate Soldier was (and how "effective" a direct blow with the sword is).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q

I see, but then they should at least run out of stamina a bit faster...(if there will be stamina at least...) They also should be less mobile and run slower then less heavely equiped men... I'm just showing my opinion and ideas...

TheBarbarianGamer said:
you should not be able to turn your head 180 degrees and even more... 
There is not ablity to turn a head 180 degrees in WB or even in MB. However unability to turn head 180 degrees it does not mean that it's not possible to look back.

generally in real life a helmet should impair your ability to look back. without the full angle of view even twisting your torso might not be enough.
also, if this would be implemented there should certainly be the ability to raise and or detach your visor for a better view (at the expense of losing face armour)
EDIT: also, there is the ability to turn your camera 2pi* while on horseback. while the third person mode shows that your character is does not move as far it still feels that way.

*GO TEAM RADIAN (2pi=360 degrees)

on the stamina. I agree with the 10-20% idea. it should also be relatively slow and should mostly be important in prolonged battles. I think something balances like the total was series would be good.
also, I would really like to have the option to recall damaged/tired soldiers to have them rest and even have them leave to be replaced with fresh troops from your reserve. nothing is more annoying than losing huscarls while defending against a siege because they cannot hold after three waves while you have another batch fresh and ready to take over... if there was the option to order your wounded (<33% heath) troops back to your door/banner and have them replaced there you wouldn't have to sacrifice them.

Rongar said:
TheBarbarianGamer said:
you should not be able to turn your head 180 degrees and even more... 
There is not ablity to turn a head 180 degrees in WB or even in MB. However unability to turn head 180 degrees it does not mean that it's not possible to look back.

In the video the person did turn the head 180 degrees...

by the way, maybe it would help if the vision shaked a bit or something like that. I think the fact that it is extremely stationary might very well be the reason it looks wrong. off course view bobbing has a it's own problems tough but maybe it would work if the size of the eyes slightly varied. not that much but just enough to convey the feeling of a slightly loose helmet instead of a hole in a wall.

On the topic of Stamina. I feel like if its implemented it should have a two way of being drained and its not done realistically in most games. Let me explain. For example I like to play tennis a lot. If its a really long point I get tired and out of breath at the end of the point, however it only takes me a few seconds to recover and by the time the next point starts I'm ready to go again, but I'm slightly more tired. As the match progresses I get more and more tired depending on how much work I do. So if I play 2 hours and I worked really hard I'm very tired and don't want to play anymore, if I didn't work too hard than I won't be tired and can play more.
So I think the stamina should work in a similar way. Let's say you swing your sword around bunch of times, you're going to get tired and need a slight break, i.e your stamina is draining, but after that break you're good to go again, however you're a bit more tired. In the game so let's say you have 100 points in stamina, you swing your sword 10 times and you get tired, your stamina drains and your attacks won't be as effective, you take a quick break, like put your shield up or whatever to give your arm a break and you're good to go again, but your stamina will only recover to 95 or something, it should be a small drain or it could even be tied to your stats how much it gets drained, like more agility and strength you have the more stamina you recover. If they want to reflect even more of your tiredness they can even give you penalties if your stamina drops below certain level, like if its below 50 than you only do 80% damage or something. Off course I think the stamina drain should be pretty low and only reach 0 during really long battles so it doesn't get annoying for people. At 0 stamina you should still be able to swing, but you should receive penalties to speed and damage.
I think a system like this will be a lot more interesting and realistic than your stamina completely draining and recovering completely like they do in most games.

"Swing your sword 10 times and get tired". Lol wut?
A standard Warband battle is not nearly long enough for a professional soldier to get tired swinging his weapon. A well balanced weapon like a sword could be swung for a long time without really tiring a good swordsman out.
I think people have too "gamey" approach to it, because in games, you swing a few times, you sprint for a moment and you're tired very quickly. That's not how real life works, and as we all know, M&B games try to be on the more realistic and sensible side of the spectrum.

I say it's pointless to introduce stamina at all.

BTW anyone interested about (possible) model disberment? What do you think, would it be good or not? I'd prefer something like Chivalry's disberment but how about you people?

Back
Top Bottom