Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Bannerlord blog regulars and newcomers. In this entry, we are once again responding to your demands to hear more about single player gameplay - specifically, looking at the overworld map and some of the improvements made there. We revealed the map at Gamescom and mentioned some new features in the last blog. Here, we'll take what we've revealed and go into some more detail.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

Cordor said:
I hope they add more Idle Animation for the troops, like screaming, talking to each other, bashing their shields with swords or whatever, make the game feel more alive, its kinda boring to see them just sitting there and doing nothing

In the gamescom blog video they look almost motionless, but I'd imagine these kinda of idle animations are pretty low on the priority list and will still make it in.

kraggrim said:
Cordor said:
I hope they add more Idle Animation for the troops, like screaming, talking to each other, bashing their shields with swords or whatever, make the game feel more alive, its kinda boring to see them just sitting there and doing nothing

In the gamescom blog video they look almost motionless, but I'd imagine these kinda of idle animations are pretty low on the priority list and will still make it in.
i really like that idea. I noticed that in viking conquest the soldiers had varying and random idle animations. Made the army look a bit more natural.

Some soldiers held their spears tight and close, some out to the side, some out in front, some in both hands.

kraggrim said:
Cordor said:

But that video was just to show what they got for the battle part of the engine, its clearly not priority, its one of those things that animators can make in a few hours, I guess

Btw. after Watching some Engine Video (not the 5 minutes one but i speak about the shorter with no voice over https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2C0KkkNGhs )

And i just tought... hey thats pretty much an RPG maker in 3D. . .

And oh God whats wrong with his hand  :lol:

8rTfkB3.jpg

Please, add a combat skill which allows the player to attack enemy's legs and the opposite - a skill which allows you to parry and block an attack directed to your legs. This is really common battle fighting skill which is not available in any game. This would make your game unique.
Also i would like to see:

- DUAL WIELDING!!!

- Jump attacks with spears/swords
tumblr_mino1shqMo1qg4blro1_500.gif

- Spin attack/dodging

achilles-vs-hector.jpg

- Sword throwing

6%20Swordthrow.jpg

- Combat poses

troy+achilles+04.jpg

achilles_sword_sheath_3054.jpg

achilles_vs_hector.png

while I like combat stances. jump attacks, spin attacks and sword throws (excluding specialized blades) are far in the realm of fiction.

I do aagree with dual wielding if only to allow parry blades as ong as it is implemented realistically. this means two swords would be extemely clumsy. a spear-and-dagger combination however would be a better option that allows for greater versitility.

SenorZorros said:
while I like combat stances. jump attacks, spin attacks and sword throws (excluding specialized blades) are far in the realm of fiction.

I do aagree with dual wielding if only to allow parry blades as ong as it is implemented realistically. this means two swords would be extemely clumsy. a spear-and-dagger combination however would be a better option that allows for greater versitility.
They are in the realm of fiction for an average soldier who is basically 1/2 farmer. These things are not impracticable for an experienced, agile and skillful warrior. I mean the weapons are heavy for people who use their hands mainly to press the buttons of the keyboard.

Also only the most skilled warriors can dual wield properly. Like the dimachaeri - the rarest and most skilled gladiators. Maybe they have to put a certain skill level before gaining an access to dual wield, though the dual wielding is all about your choice how you want to fight in a melee. You just need one more weapon, that's it.

And one more thing i would like to see - Testudo formation.

I would pay an extra amount of money to get this kind of features

Gondvanaz said:
Please, add a combat skill which allows the player to attack enemy's legs and the opposite - a skill which allows you to parry and block an attack directed to your legs. This is really common battle fighting skill which is not available in any game. This would make your game unique.

You can do this in any melee game. It's called swinging at the legs. This is why leg armor is a separate stat in Warband.

Also i would like to see:

- DUAL WIELDING!!!

Does not exist. Bannerlord is a realistic game set with Early Medieval Warfare- there is no such thing as dual wielding on the battlefield. Within civilian fights parrying daggers were used, but this was much later during the Late Middle Ages/Early Modern Era. The only thing that should result from any character wielding two full length weapons is an impaled corpse on the ground.

- Jump attacks with spears/swords
tumblr_mino1shqMo1qg4blro1_500.gif

Utter nonsense.

- Spin attack/dodging

achilles-vs-hector.jpg

Utter nonsense.

- Sword throwing

6%20Swordthrow.jpg

Even more preposterous nonsense.

- Combat poses

troy+achilles+04.jpg

achilles_sword_sheath_3054.jpg

achilles_vs_hector.png

Good god what nonsense.

I r8 your b8 8/8 m8.

I believe that  every thread on TW has to turn into dual wielding speculation if that thread is discussed long enough.

but why are jump attacks, spin attacks and sword throws utter nonsense?
well...

jump attacks:
they look cool and may be powerfull if used in the right way. however that right way is "if your opponent is a sandbag". in most martial arts jumping is discouraged since jumping means you give away any control of your movement. the oponent van simply move his spear in such a way that you jump into it. futhermore where you may have momentum you oponnent has the ability to brace himself and use the ground as an anchor to overpower you. lasly, if you jump you come down and have a moment of imbalance. especially when you are armoured. this is a prime opportunity to get some additional steel in your guts.

spin attacks:
this is easy. you leave yourself wide open and sacrifice a lot of speed for a bit of additional momentum. also, spinning is quite disorienting. the nice thing about weapons is thay they are good at doing damage so even a well-placed stab would suffice and be quite easy to do when someone moves his prime method of defence all the way to the back.

sword throws:
swords are satbbing and/or cuttng weapons. they are balanced for either stabbing or cutting. not for throwing. secondly by doing this you waste your weapon.

dual wielding:
I'd still like to see the ability and it's uselessness as well as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXxR6u36tSM

stances:
while the images might be ridiculous you have to admit that stances were important in historical martial arts. if anything I think it's interesting to see the option to switch between overarm and underarm wielding. sadly I'm not really knowledgable in this area so I don't know other possible stances :sad:

on the testudo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oJVfHz7kq8

SenorZorros said:
dual wielding:
I'd still like to see the ability and it's uselessness as well as this:
Yep, that is quite nice point, that realistic game is not that game where rare/unlikely approaches are forbidden, but the game where you can explore weakness and strongness of different approaches. And if you are exceptional in kb skills you can be exceptional in virtual battlefield  too.

SenorZorros said:
sword throws:
swords are satbbing and/or cuttng weapons. they are balanced for either stabbing or cutting. not for throwing. secondly by doing this you waste your weapon.

swords can actually be thrown though, and apparently throwing is described in a medieval manual(s):

In short, a sword can be thrown at close range (Matt Easton, the man in the video, says he experimented and found that up to 10 or 12 feet it was very effective), and the technique used was to hold it at the hilt with the blade point aimed forwards, as if it were a javelin.

well... I stand corrected.
in that case I wouldn't mind seeing it.

also, if there is a certain technique which looks really cool but is really unpractical I wouldn't mind seeing it as long as it is depicted realistically (that it, as a really dumb move). I wonder, is it possible in warband to jump and attack at the same time (I don't have time to check myself atm.)

SenorZorros said:
well... I stand corrected.
in that case I wouldn't mind seeing it.

also, if there is a certain technique which looks really cool but is really unpractical I wouldn't mind seeing it as long as it is depicted realistically (that it, as a really dumb move). I wonder, is it possible in warband to jump and attack at the same time (I don't have time to check myself atm.)
IDK but it IS possible to jump and block at the same time. I do it all the time to defend against cavalry since the horse won't knock you back in mid-air. So you can probably attack too.

Back
Top Bottom