Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Bannerlord blog regulars and newcomers. In this entry, we are once again responding to your demands to hear more about single player gameplay - specifically, looking at the overworld map and some of the improvements made there. We revealed the map at Gamescom and mentioned some new features in the last blog. Here, we'll take what we've revealed and go into some more detail.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

Wulfburk said:
Lets purge him instead

Got your button ready.
K5g3GuzDZFSNqQnZ_tLo9tMPc3fDuWHfY_eiYIIHLYeIGF1etT8741wigPlAFwtVSm8=w300

I only managed to make it to page 15, so my apologies if this has already been expressed by someone else.

In defense of the faster passage of time: if anything, it will only make my experience in M&B more immersive. I never really paid attention to how many days passed by in Warband anyway, and when I occassionaly glanced at the date it kind of ruined things for me since an in-game week felt like a month and a month felt like a year. I guess my point is that it's easier for me to forgive time and events happening at an unrealistic speed rather than having them exist in parallel universes. Two wrongs do make a right?

578 said:
nigenoge said:
578 said:
That's bad taste.

Mum!!! Someone likes thing that I don't like!

Atleast I know now to come to the mount and blade forums when I need some man children to arbitrate what constitutes bad and good taste.

Anime fan who plays naked females on skyrim spotted.

Well, that is the response I more or less expected from someone like you.

Carry on with your self imposed importance little man child :smile:

nigenoge said:
578 said:
nigenoge said:
578 said:
That's bad taste.

Mum!!! Someone likes thing that I don't like!

Atleast I know now to come to the mount and blade forums when I need some man children to arbitrate what constitutes bad and good taste.

Anime fan who plays naked females on skyrim spotted.

Carry on with your self imposed importance little man child :smile:

Carry on with your self imposed importance little weeaboo  :razz:

Kittenhuffer said:
I only managed to make it to page 15, so my apologies if this has already been expressed by someone else.

In defense of the faster passage of time: if anything, it will only make my experience in M&B more immersive. I never really paid attention to how many days passed by in Warband anyway, and when I occassionaly glanced at the date it kind of ruined things for me since an in-game week felt like a month and a month felt like a year. I guess my point is that it's easier for me to forgive time and events happening at an unrealistic speed rather than having them exist in parallel universes. Two wrongs do make a right?
I feel the same way. It always bothered me that we could conquer an entire continent in a few years rather than decades. In fact I wish the time progression was faster :grin: but the devs have hit a good middle ground imo.

Prepare for wall of text from some of my ideas

Okay so I've been thinking about the ageing of characters and about possible heirs.

Estimate that age of manhood is reached at 15 years, and they live to be on average 50 years old (which I believe was a lot during the timeperiod they are aiming for), then that would mean that the player has about 3000 in game days to develop his character, and this is quite a long time.

So, imagine your character get's a kid within 5 years, then by the time your character is 35-36 (and still have a bit more than 1000 days left to play on) your son is 15 ish and will be able to join your party as a companion and level up like that. This would easen the transition between characters and lower the level gap and not having to start from scratch.

So if you die around 50 with level 40 something, maybe you can start with your heir at level 20-30 or something.

Of course the numbers here are just estimates and speculation, but if the system worked something like that, it would be neat.

If your character happens to die in battle, then everything should default to your heir, and if you don't have one, well... game over I guess. I know quite a few won't like this but it would add a whole new dimension to the game which I find fascinating.

Of course, if you have an heir to inherit things, your lords (if you have them) should, depending on their personality traits, take different actions such as swearing loyalty, or try to claim power for themselves. This would be an incentive to always try to have only (or at least a majority so you can crush rebellions) honorable lords, which of course are harder to get. The easiest lords to get will always be the traitorous scum.

Also, if your heir is too young to fight, you can either play as the companion/lord that you have most trust/friendship points with until you come of age. Or the game basically makes a time-skip, calculating all the changes that could happen and implements them, though I believe this could be very very troublesome for a PC as you then basically have no control over what happens.

---------------------------

Another thing I thought would be cool is the ageing effects.

Assuming lifespan up to average 50, then middle age can be around 30-35, old 40-45 and venerable 50+.
Also, when you hit venerable, there should be a dice roll to determine how long you live, and anything beyond 70 is just crazy.

Middle age: -1 to physical stats / +1 to mental stats
Old:  -2 to physical stats / +2 to mental stats
Venerable:  -3 to physical stats / +3 to mental stats

Also, if a lord is defeated in battle, there should be a % chance that he may die. If the lord has heirs, they would of course automatically assume control of all the armies, towns/villages and everything else, assuming they are of age (not kids). If they are too young, they should have to wait until they are old enough to fight, and the right to control the troops should default to the king, while they are being paid by the lord's coffers.

If the lord has no heir it would mean the end for his bloodline, and a young promising knight should be raised to lordship, similarly to how a player is able to do that.

Hopefully the companions work somewhat similar to all of the above mentioned. They should be able to get wifes, heirs and stuff, otherwise they should get replacements. What is the point of having your character die when your companions are OP?

It would be cool to see a civil war, if a king that dies has 2 sons and both consider themselves to be the rightful king. So if if a king has 2 sons, there would be a dice roll, 1/20 or 1/10 or something. Of course, this would mean they are weaker and other factions would be able to eat them up more easily. This should also apply to your own kingdom if you happen to have one.

Of course, this whole thing with heirs would all be made mute if there is not easy way to marry someone, so instead of having just noble wifes, a PC (as well as companions) should be able to get a "default" kind of wife. Someone that is of low standing (but who cares, because love, right?). Of course, getting a noble woman to marry takes a lot more time, but it would get you a connection with a noble family, which gives you diplomatic bonuses.

So if you pursue a noble woman, but change your mind because your character is growing old, then you can just marry a wench from some time and make a baby so you get an heir and won't get the "game over".

actually people in the middle ages who surpasses 20 years tended to become 60-70 years old. it's just that the massive infant mortality tended to draw the number down to about 35 years.
however, if they would be a problem for the gameplay mechanic you could easily have the older character retire. after all, someone who is 65 years old probably wouldn't be going on campaigns anymore. this could also mean that if players get stuck on an unfavorable character they could discard it fairly easily.

I think the infant mortality also has interesting consequences. since there is a large risk that your children die before the age of 15 you will need backups. after all, you could put everything into a dream heir but if he dies at the age of thirteen you wasted a lot of effort. this also makes children more disposable leading to more options for intrigue.

off course I do think this system needs a toggle in the form of immortality mode.

SenorZorros said:
off course I do think this system needs a toggle in the form of immortality mode.

Well, I think there ought to be a "realism mode" where all the features are enabled and a "sandbox mode" where you can toggle the features on or off before starting the game.

This would appease everyone I think, in that they are not forced to play with ageing characters and whatnot.

MrMundy said:
Well...in an Universe where swords hurt someone in Mail Armor, people can become 70 I would suppose.
Well appearantly that universe is not very different from that of our own
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9I2tWAcKzU

off course this is a video by a company selling a product using chainmail of unknown quality which is hanging stationary. the swordsman makes a huge swing which in real live would leave him wide open for a quick attack.
there is a bit of nuance

guybnch said:
https://youtu.be/19qEUJTE90s?t=54

yep...

In the comments the guy who made the mail (I presume he's telling the truth, he has many videos of himself making various armours) says this:

Actually, I'm the one who made this maille (not in India) and, yes, you are correct, the rings should have been thicker and tighter! (personal grrrrr).  My concern during construction of the sample was weight, but as it turned out, I sacrificed material thickness and tightness for weight reduction.  It wasn't until after filming was finished that I had realized my error.  Most of my maille is now produced using a modified version of my video "Making Riveted Maille".  Live and learn :wink:.

in reply to this:

I'm sorry, but the sample of mail shown here is a cheap Indian made replica, nothing like Viking era mail. A mail coat ca. 900 was made from much thicker and tighter rings than shown here. The rings would be 16-17 gauge and have an internal diameter of 8mm or less. This is proven by finds at Birka among other places. The rings would be dome riveted and not wedge riveted as clearly this example is. It would have been able to resist the sword with no problem. Look up Thrand's videos for the truth.

I'm not really invested in the swords vs mail debate but that doesn't seem the best example.

Back
Top Bottom