Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Bannerlord blog regulars and newcomers. In this entry, we are once again responding to your demands to hear more about single player gameplay - specifically, looking at the overworld map and some of the improvements made there. We revealed the map at Gamescom and mentioned some new features in the last blog. Here, we'll take what we've revealed and go into some more detail.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

Blog said:
Here is a basic explanation of how the economy works:

-Villages produce goods based on what types of production they have in place (e.g. Sheep farms produce sheep, cheese, wool etc.)

-Peasants take goods produced in their village to sell in the local town by repeatedly travelling directly between the village and the town on the map.

-The raw materials are taken to towns and either consumed or processed into secondary goods (e.g. wool into clothes, sheep into meat) via workshops.

-Goods in towns are bought by caravans to be sold elsewhere for a higher price, caravans will assess the situation and try to maximise profit from their journey over the map.

When all of these steps are completed successfully, the prosperity of the settlements increases. What's interesting, though, is that because everything is connected in this way, disruption can be a very effective approach when dealing with an enemy or rival. A simple example is that raiding enemy villages or preventing peasants from making their journey to the local town impoverishes towns due to their lack of goods to process for trade. More indirect benefits can be received by, for instance, aiding a bandit group near to the fief of a rival noble from the same faction, trying to limit their income and gaining a leg over them in the faction standings. Since everything is simulated in this way, no matter what you do, it has a knock-on effect in the world. Manipulating this to your own ends is key to making progress in the game but AI Lords will also attempt to create problems for opponents, in an effort to better themselves.
This is EXACTLY how the economy works in Warband already. Strange to present it as a Bannerlord feature.

The Bowman said:
Also, settlements also change their icons in the aftermath of a siege as to reveal destruction:
Before:
3TROx.png
After:
Mx5KL.png

It's because of raid, not siege. But perhaps it will also happen aftermath of sieges.

cherac said:
Guys help I can't get the video to play :cry:
Arch3r said:
For those having issues with the video taking forever too load, I put it on youtube.

https://youtu.be/Oih4YfHlres
Suggestion: I think it would be cool if a village near a town is under raid, the town will sent something like a small army to help the villagers in the fight

Yeah downloading it thanks. Overall the game is looking fresh but I have strong feeling this is a totally new Game it has this weird Aura and after with fire and sword this might be just what we need.

MadVader said:
This is EXACTLY how the economy works in Warband already. Strange to present it as a Bannerlord feature.

Are you sure? I thought a town's production didn't actually depend on villagers reaching it in Warband.

I didn't see any parties passing through the town map icon, I wonder if icons can block movement now.

Also, looks like maybe a new marshes/floodplains terrain type.

Regarding the lore. So to say, is the story of Warband 200 years before. Being that, it will be a universe/lore and map (Calradia) own, right? Like Mount & Blade I to Mount & Blade Warband. It would be basically like an adaptation based on a story. How it goes in the Batman stories (Nolan x Burton x Snyder), X-Men (Fox x Marvel Comics), Mad Max (Gibson x Hardy). It would be something like ''revisiting'' lore/universe. Getting something: M&B (''Firstverse x Warbandverse x Bannerlordverse'' PS: has the ''history/standaloneverse'' also hehe.)

Cilginturk46 said:
The four ???? is probably 90+8, don't forget the slaves.

Then you would see 5 "?" numbers within those big gatherings because even in Warband the 3 numbers (centuries) armies were the rule for lords (100-400 men). Since we can't see any, we must deduce these "?" refers to real numbers of soldiers, so thousand(s) armies might as well be something in Bannerlord.

Amazing... Started playing M&B since before it was even released at full price and haven't stopped playing it (and all that came after it).

Really looking forward to play bannerlord for hours to no end.

kraggrim said:
MadVader said:
Are you sure? I thought a town's production didn't actually depend on villagers reaching it in Warband.
Not literally, but it's simulated through increased prosperity, therefore more/cheaper town goods. It's possible that they made a literal conversion of some raw to finished goods (like they wanted to in Warband's player enterprise, according to unfinished code), but I'm not sure it makes much difference from player's viewpoint.

If anything, I was looking for them to simplify the economic model, as the one in Warband is a well-intended mess that still doesn't make economic warfare viable. Instead, they are expanding on it.

Johan_Stormcloak said:
the yearly cycle has been shortened to twelve weeks, which adds more importance to the changing seasons and ageing of characters.
So does that mean that heirs are confirmed?

My goodness please no...

Tell me we are not going to have "time limit" for our characters... PLEASE...

The Bowman said:
Now, as I thought a little bit, I can suggest you the following:

So, you want to create chokepoints which are supposed to be crucial for controlling regions and trade. While that is a very good idea, I consider that you should not neglect roads. My idea is that roads should be added between all the settlements, which would grant all the parties a speed bonus. Generally, both the player and the AI would prioritize road movement while traveling on the campaign map, and the caravans/farmers, specifically, would always use them. The main advantage of a road system is that you can precisely know the caravan routes, thus, it would be easier to defend or attack them. On the other hand, if you want to take the enemy by surprise, you could walk through the rough terrain, but that would generally make you a bit slower and the seasonal effects would also have a bigger impact on you.

Edit: Ambush attempts may also be more successful on roads.
great idea i would support this

The Bowman said:
In Bannerlord, villages seem to have their own garrisons. We have managed to reveal that too. :wink:

I don't think that's just a village like in warband with a garrison, if I understood well one of the previous blogs, every village can have a fortress if you choose so, so that might be garrison in a fortress, and very undeveloped villages will have none, like in warband.

The villages work the way you want, you can build some fortification and plant some specific crops or something, you decide the way settlements are going to progress, perhaps every village has a chance to become a town in time, or a castle if it is on a strategicaly important position.

But I might be wrong.

And f.. you developers I planned on making choke points in a mod for this game, it was supposed to be a radical gameplay change which would make my mod superior to vanilla : ).

i don't know but really think about it, a war with 10000 men that would be long and boring. i prefer max 500 men, because max 100 men was not fair, the other kings had 500 men. Max around the 500 men like in viking conquest would be perfect. and also think about the money, food and morale you need for 1000+ men.

MadVader said:
kraggrim said:
MadVader said:
Not literally, but it's simulated through increased prosperity, therefore more/cheaper town goods. It's possible that they made a literal conversion of some raw to finished goods (like they wanted to in Warband's player enterprise, according to unfinished code), but I'm not sure it makes much difference from player's viewpoint.

If anything, I was looking for them to simplify the economic model, as the one in Warband is a well-intended mess that still doesn't make economic warfare viable. Instead, they are expanding on it.

As long as they make it work I think it is an improvement, and everything they've previously said on the subject of the economy suggests that is their aim- to make it matter. They talk about the ability to affect the economy by intercepting caravans and villagers. As I understand it, the reason it didn't work in Warband was because there wasn't a real link between the village products to those traded by caravans, and that the relationship was represented by arbitrary figures. I have confidence that they are making sure it is balanced so that raiding has a more real effect now, and for the effects to be more transparent to the player (something else they have previously talked of).

The Bowman said:
Just caught one detail:
9fnEF.png

Yes, the siege of the village castle looks good, adding the watchamacallit-movable-shields. The name of the town is most intriguing to me though- Dantagwyn. Translated from psuedo Celtic we can see that this is actually Dan town. Could this mean that I will be getting a free copy of the game in advance of everyone else? Scratch that; what I should be asking is could it possible mean anything else?! Yipee!!!

Also, as Bowman mentioned I would like to see roads and have talked a lot in the past about them, though for now it seems Taleworlds are representing well used routes with worn grass and patches of stone:
blog12_west.jpg

Note how it goes past two villages and across that bridge (the latter may be the reason for this path being so heavily used), suggesting it is a road. Mind you, this is in Vlandian lands, maybe there will be some Empire lands with proper roads (though we saw no evidence of this in the Gamescom map pictures, so it is probably a vain hope).

There is some nice variation in ground texture evident in that screen shot too; the ground is different under the forests, and to the south of Ruluns and across the river the land slopes up to a mountain. Much of the grassy slope is covered in vein-like scars, probably representing streams that carry water down to the river.

There won't be 10000+ armies for sure, I don't think that's possible, someone metioned the ? might include prisoners, I agree with you, great theory!

Back
Top Bottom