Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Bannerlord blog regulars and newcomers. In this entry, we are once again responding to your demands to hear more about single player gameplay - specifically, looking at the overworld map and some of the improvements made there. We revealed the map at Gamescom and mentioned some new features in the last blog. Here, we'll take what we've revealed and go into some more detail.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

It might work well for the Persistent World mods, as Valamis says the role play servers. Of course there are always trolls, but the local area thing would nullify that problem largely. If a troll wants to follow your group around shouting nonsense and obscenities to disrupt your gameplay, just kill him or mute him; it would be harder for trolls to effectively ruin the game (as they can currently by simply spamming chat so that it becomes useless for others to communicate with).

Perhaps at the start of a normal battle or siege game, players could set up squads and invite specific people to join, people that they knew already could be relied on to share the same attitude toward the game. That would be a quicker and more accessible way of setting up essentially a TeamSpeak channel. A lot of players probably avoid getting TeamSpeak out of lack of will, lack of tech savvy (thinking they won't know how to get it working) or just can't be bothered setting it up every time they are about to play a game. If a channel could be set up and joined in game, a lot more players would be setting up squads with players they enjoy playing with.

I don't even have a mic myself but I am glad to follow plans and orders, and once even a few players are seen working effectively together the rest of the team often wants to join in, and it improves the teamwork of the whole side.

can't you get rid of trolls on private servers with a well-aimed punt to the IP?
and a couple of additional kicks if they use proxy.

I mean, it's not like they do any real damage...

One thing i want to see in Bannerlords are a system for bravery, like lords charging into armies greater in number then themselves.
and the outcome is based greatly on the leadership and tactics skills, as i understood it in Warband the tactics skill was only fer the starting point in an battle and nothing more, right me if im wrong but i never took that skill because it didnt give me any benefits what i experienced.

as if ye look at the history of mankind ye can find lots of events where bravery have turned lots o battles.
in warband i only encounter lords and groups that only attacks if they are in greater number then yerself and they can only win if they are in greater numbers too if they fight each others.

Scorpius_skin said:
One thing i want to see in Bannerlords are a system for bravery, like lords charging into armies greater in number then themselves.
and the outcome is based greatly on the leadership and tactics skills, as i understood it in Warband the tactics skill was only fer the starting point in an battle and nothing more, right me if im wrong but i never took that skill because it didnt give me any benefits what i experienced.

as if ye look at the history of mankind ye can find lots of events where bravery have turned lots o battles.
in warband i only encounter lords and groups that only attacks if they are in greater number then yerself and they can only win if they are in greater numbers too if they fight each others.

Discipline would be a better way to put it in my opinion. Your men would gain discipline after participating in battles which then would make them have a less probability of disobeying commands and retreating on their own. Furthermore, it would be even better to have this system not only individually for every men, but also for a division that you can create from more regular/elite troops which could also have an officer (a knight or whatever it is in different cultures in Calradia) who would be able to command that particular division himself independently if ordered to do so.

Wulfric said:
Scorpius_skin said:

Discipline would be a better way to put it in my opinion. Your men would gain discipline after participating in battles which then would make them have a less probability of disobeying commands and retreating on their own. Furthermore, it would be even better to have this system not only individually for every men, but also for a division that you can create from more regular/elite troops which could also have an officer (a knight or whatever it is in different cultures in Calradia) who would be able to command that particular division himself independently if ordered to do so.

I see quite a few nice metric for our soldiers. not only morale and discipline but also fear. a soldier with a high fear would tend to follow orders but a high fear also decreases morale. furthermore once a unit whose soldiers are fearful breaks they have a lower chance of regrouping. lastly if you get separated from a unit they might surrender to the enemy without a fight or even join them (as long as the enemy has a better reputation).

another metric would be energy. even if they want to a unit that had to march for 300 kilometers for the last four days simply is not as capable as one that had ample time to rest. instead of morale one cannot use outside influence to alleviate this.

not I want to comment on discipline. while I think it should depend for a part on veterancy this can also be determined by the unit tier. other factors are how you treat your men. a lax commander might find his men becoming lax too. discipline however should not only determine when a unit breaks but also when it charges. a wild rabble tends to attack anyone they see while a disciplined block of troops can refrain from engagement until the enemy is in melee range.

the last metric I can think of is training. while this is already found in the stats being a trained soldier does also bring behavioral changes. this is not however the same as discipline. you can easily see that by envisioning a group of noble knights which are a bit to eager for glory. while they are the pinnacle of training they might not listen to their commanders orders and still charge. I am not sure what this would do but in general this should give a unit greater cohesion and a soldier larger flexibility. it could also make units take counter-intuitive but smart decisions like refraining from grabbing a sidearm while in a pike block assuming the men behind him deal with closer threats.

I would determine division elements by using status effects and not a division acting as a single entity though soldiers should be affected by their fellows

SenorZorros said:
Wulfric said:
Scorpius_skin said:

I see quite a few nice metric for our soldiers. not only morale and discipline but also fear. a soldier with a high fear would tend to follow orders but a high fear also decreases morale. furthermore once a unit whose soldiers are fearful breaks they have a lower chance of regrouping. lastly if you get separated from a unit they might surrender to the enemy without a fight or even join them (as long as the enemy has a better reputation).

another metric would be energy. even if they want to a unit that had to march for 300 kilometers for the last four days simply is not as capable as one that had ample time to rest. instead of morale one cannot use outside influence to alleviate this.

not I want to comment on discipline. while I think it should depend for a part on veterancy this can also be determined by the unit tier. other factors are how you treat your men. a lax commander might find his men becoming lax too. discipline however should not only determine when a unit breaks but also when it charges. a wild rabble tends to attack anyone they see while a disciplined block of troops can refrain from engagement until the enemy is in melee range.

the last metric I can think of is training. while this is already found in the stats being a trained soldier does also bring behavioral changes. this is not however the same as discipline. you can easily see that by envisioning a group of noble knights which are a bit to eager for glory. while they are the pinnacle of training they might not listen to their commanders orders and still charge. I am not sure what this would do but in general this should give a unit greater cohesion and a soldier larger flexibility. it could also make units take counter-intuitive but smart decisions like refraining from grabbing a sidearm while in a pike block assuming the men behind him deal with closer threats.

I would determine division elements by using status effects and not a division acting as a single entity though soldiers should be affected by their fellows

If i recall it right, there are fear implemented in the game, or tha might be from mods, dont remember completely, but there are a fear system tha has been implemented one way or another where yer soldiers might route from the battle if it goes bad fer yer team.
though i hope they make the fear/brave system a bit more advanced as it is a bit riddiculous now fer lords to flee armies tha are just a tad bit stronger then themselves.
Also i want to see some kind o charge system on foot, where ye can. just the last 4-5 meters from clashing with the enemies can do a charge where ye and yer troops make a run fer it right into the enemies, like bashing down the soldier infront of ye and if the enemy does a charge he nullifies the charge, but if he is not charging or not fast enough he gets bashed to the ground.

Scorpius_skin said:

As far as I know, the tactics skills helps determine the number of troops the player gets relative to the AI opponent in a battle.  I think there are some mods that allow the player to rally his/her troops and that the ability to rally is based on the leadership skill.  That gives me a good idea for something to add to my mod.

Redleg said:
Scorpius_skin said:

As far as I know, the tactics skills helps determine the number of troops the player gets relative to the AI opponent in a battle.  I think there are some mods that allow the player to rally his/her troops and that the ability to rally is based on the leadership skill.  That gives me a good idea for something to add to my mod.

hm yer sure about tha? i have fought lots o battle where enemy lords have better tactics then meself but they never actually got any better benefits then just their starting point as i have experienced, but well i might be wrong, i use the battle Size changer at 500 so i rarely get into fights where yer armies have backup (sieges aside). and i usually tend to win battles against enemies tha are 50-75 more troops then meself and i have at some occasions won battles against armies with 150-200 more soldiers then meself but those took a hard toll on both me char and army, but those fights have saved me kingdom couple o times, tha's bravery and tha's wha i want to see from other lords/companions  who run around fighting on the map

Valamis_PL said:
1. LOCAL CHAT as base for most of gamemodes: Sound is heard localy by players nearby not all players in team. The lauder you speak the bigger distance you are heard by others. Yes, realistic. (local chat)

Sounds nasty in big battles with lots of players squeezed together.

Agree completely with Jordan 7, in addition I for one will not be purchasing this game if players are not given the option of riding sharks with lasers upon their fricken heads. See to it Taleworlds, there's a good bunch of chaps. And chappetes. Chips?

It's premature to talk of riding sharks when we don't even know if there will be naval warfare. Riding rhinos would be more appropriate; they even come with armour and a piercing weapon as standard. The Aserai could have them via trade with mysterious far off people from further south.

Why don't people want farming? It would be awesome to build a manor/house/whatevs, build a small palisade around, some towers eventually, and have a generous stretch of wheat and grapes to make wine and flour. Hiring people to work there (but working yourself yielding ~15% more income...
If time doesn't stop at each scene, this would be very doable. If time stops, then it becomes a bit tedious after a while. But they did implement a similar feature in viking conquest, I see no reason not to add it to bannerlord.

I love being a farmer.

my largest fear with this is that it takes development time for something which is not a core feature and probably won't be used by 80% of the players except as an equivalent of a productive enterprise. this means we either get a feature that takes a lot of time to make but won't be used that much. or we get something tacked-on. especially since one could build an entire game around being a medieval farmer.

though this might be interesting to see as dlc later down the line.

SenorZorros said:
my largest fear with this is that it takes development time for something which is not a core feature and probably won't be used by 80% of the players except as an equivalent of a productive enterprise. this means we either get a feature that takes a lot of time to make but won't be used that much. or we get something tacked-on. especially since one could build an entire game around being a medieval farmer.

though this might be interesting to see as dlc later down the line.

Completely agree.

you know in warband when you start a battle there is a chest with your inventory it was always strange  that all your stuff fitted in there i would love if the bigger your inventory space the bigger space you show so lets say for example you have 0 extra space meaning default inventory points 0 then you get a bigger chest than it is now for every 2 points you ad in the battlefield you have more. like for 2 points you get a donkey with bags on its back, for 4 points in inventory you get a horse and carrage for 6 you get 2 horses and a bigger carage and so on and so on.

the carrage or boxes cant be moved and dont take part in the fight(they are passive ) but you can use it as an obstical  against lets say cavalry so could use that starting position to better defend against an attack. just an idea i just got.

Back
Top Bottom