Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 12 - The Passage Of Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Bannerlord blog regulars and newcomers. In this entry, we are once again responding to your demands to hear more about single player gameplay - specifically, looking at the overworld map and some of the improvements made there. We revealed the map at Gamescom and mentioned some new features in the last blog. Here, we'll take what we've revealed and go into some more detail.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/14

boomstomp said:
Hope there are more tipes of missions not just lord or companion rescue but spying even when a city is under siege by your side you can try to sneak into the city and fight your way to the main gate and open it for your side(or disable the oil canisters that they would have poord on your troops) then it goes over to where your forces storm in and you join the battle then ,or killing and officer of one of the apposing lords that will weaken him in some way i dont want to have to do every thing with my army i like playing with a small group because i spend most of my points on my own characters skills and strength so these tipes of missions are where individual strength is important and where my character will have a bigger invluance on the game compared  to  a player that wants a big army wont have the stats on his own character  to be able to do them, it should be a trade off depending on how you want to play the game its a sandbox after all.

I second this.

Personally, I like playing the game as a rogue and completing missions for lords and guildmasters. Hopefully, more of these types of missions will feature in Bannerlord and have a real impact on the fate of the kingdoms involved.

Fenrir1990 said:
boomstomp said:
Hope there are more tipes of missions not just lord or companion rescue but spying even when a city is under siege by your side you can try to sneak into the city and fight your way to the main gate and open it for your side(or disable the oil canisters that they would have poord on your troops) then it goes over to where your forces storm in and you join the battle then ,or killing and officer of one of the apposing lords that will weaken him in some way i dont want to have to do every thing with my army i like playing with a small group because i spend most of my points on my own characters skills and strength so these tipes of missions are where individual strength is important and where my character will have a bigger invluance on the game compared  to  a player that wants a big army wont have the stats on his own character  to be able to do them, it should be a trade off depending on how you want to play the game its a sandbox after all.

I second this.

Personally, I like playing the game as a rogue and completing missions for lords and guildmasters. Hopefully, more of these types of missions will feature in Bannerlord and have a real impact on the fate of the kingdoms involved.
I actually feel slightly mixed about this since you are only a small cog and should not be able to determine the fate of the world by yourself because you burned down a hovel. I hope that talworldas takes care in ensuring that while individual actions should change the fate of small-scal,e events like a siege they should only have a slight influence on the world at large.

the main problem here is probably that the nations are ridiculously small. they are more like counties or small dukedoms than real nations. this ,means that the loss of a relatively minor fief already hugely influences the state of the nation.

also, the warband ai couldn't defend...

on that note I hope that this time forces coming to reinforcwe a besieged city will actually try to enter the city even if they are outnumbered instead of running from the enemy.

It might be good if small forces did try to get inside a besieged city to reinforce it, but I don't think there was any attempt by Warband armies to do that; I think they came to defeat the besiegers in a field battle and either ran away if heavily outnumbered or fought them.

DanAngleland said:
It might be good if small forces did try to get inside a besieged city to reinforce it, but I don't think there was any attempt by Warband armies to do that; I think they came to defeat the besiegers in a field battle and either ran away if heavily outnumbered or fought them.

Yeah, in Warband they would just hang around nearby if they managed to chase them off, or repeatedly run back and forward if they couldn't. With cities appearing to have actual defined entrance points it'll be interesting to see how this works out in BL. Presumably it will be harder for the player to get into a besieged city.

kraggrim said:
DanAngleland said:

Yeah, in Warband they would just hang around nearby if they managed to chase them off, or repeatedly run back and forward if they couldn't. With cities appearing to have actual defined entrance points it'll be interesting to see how this works out in BL. Presumably it will be harder for the player to get into a besieged city.

Yeah, it is a bit ridiculous how you can pass through the siege lines and enter in your city/castle while the enemy is laying siege to it.

well that is why making it possible to do missions like sneaking into a besieged city and opening the main gate should be done im not saying it should be easy think a bit harder than a rescue mission you should be in normal clothes (no armor)only able to smuggle your weopons in (not like the first bit of a rescue mission where you only have a staff) and there should be more enemys to kill (have to kill them all and they are elite troupes)only then can you open the gates so it will be very hard and only a character with big personal strength will stand a chance and it will be balanced because if you fail and you are caught(so there is grait risk to yourself) then you better hope your allies  take the city without you or you will stay caught,a strong character like this would have spent most of his points on himself thus not able to have a big army too, so not able to have a big influence in the every day battles , its missions like these that make it worth making a strong character its all about the sand box and how you want to play it.
On a different note i will  also ad that i dont like it that i have to have a castle to get married would like the option to purchase a house in a big city if i have a big  influence in that city and can have more than one house at a time it does cost rent though would be nice to buy a few shops for money and then buy a house in the same city for like a home base(again making a strong character makes it hard to take a castle in hard mode so beeing able to buy a house should be an option.

You have a lot of great ideas there. I agree with all of them. I would love to go on small sabotage missions or to open the gate for a siege or even have the option to send a skilled companion for some of the tasks.

The house would be awesome to have. Have property without owing your allegiance to anyone or anyone else laying claim to it. And to be able to marry without being a lord would be nice. I like to stay as close to my humble beginnings as possible

I agree not having to be a lord to get married would be nice there should be woman that tend to the ladys in the castle they are not of noble berth but can be married if you so choose  then have a house to put them up in, beeing a mercenary/trader because she is not if noble berth you will not have the political influence that you would have had when marring a lady but playing as a mercenary/trader that wont matter as much( you will have children though) but still make the player feel like his choice or path is still a worth wile  one to choose the path less traveled .so again a trade off but not a penalty for playing your sandbox the way you want to play it. 

boomstomp said:
well that is why making it possible to do missions like sneaking into a besieged city and opening the main gate should be done im not saying it should be easy think a bit harder than a rescue mission you should be in normal clothes (no armor)only able to smuggle your weopons in (not like the first bit of a rescue mission where you only have a staff) and there should be more enemys to kill (have to kill them all and they are elite troupes)only then can you open the gates so it will be very hard and only a character with big personal strength will stand a chance and it will be balanced because if you fail and you are caught(so there is grait risk to yourself) then you better hope your allies  take the city without you or you will stay caught,a strong character like this would have spent most of his points on himself thus not able to have a big army too, so not able to have a big influence in the every day battles , its missions like these that make it worth making a strong character its all about the sand box and how you want to play it.

It could be an interesting mission.
In my opinion it would be great if the fighting in an "open the gates" mission, would be completely optional, so your chances of succeeding could be higher if you avoid the fights, or only do "silent takedowns", if that would even be a possibility (maybe you would need a dagger for that and only the dagger would have that functionality if used from behind and undetected, maybe even with a cool down phase).

You could try to sneak into the gatehouse during a "change of the guard" for example.
While you wait for that to happen, you wait in or sneak through the shadows.

I wonder how the AI will detect the player character in BL, will it be able to see through walls, will the bots have view cones?

i disagree the hole purpose of the mission would be to firstly sneak into the city if you arnt recognized  the second part is to have a very hard fight without armor against a lot of elite enemys so that its one of the hardest fights (missions) in the game,when you consider the payoff is not only an easy siege because you always have more allies attacking than defending so when they all rush trough the main gate it will almost always be a very overwhelming win for your side, but also that you can start the mission any time after the siege starts meaning you can attack the city long before the enemy has a chance to counter the siege with an army. And to have to build in a sneak ability will be a lot harder for the developers than using a system that is almost all there already but its just an idea if they dont have something like it in the game already they wont ad it before the game is out to the public, they are working on getting what they already have working properly but maybe adding it in with homes in citys in a later update would be a grait ad on.its just something i would love to have added to Bannerlord that im missing from warband.

boomstomp said:
i disagree the hole purpose of the mission would be to firstly sneak into the city if you arnt recognized  the second part is to have a very hard fight without armor against a lot of elite enemys so that its one of the hardest fights (missions) in the game,when you consider the payoff is not only an easy siege because you always have more allies attacking than defending so when they all rush trough the main gate it will almost always be a very overwhelming win for your side, but also that you can start the mission any time after the siege starts meaning you can attack the city long before the enemy has a chance to counter the siege with an army. And to have to build in a sneak ability will be a lot harder for the developers than using a system that is almost all there already but its just an idea if they dont have something like it in the game already they wont ad it before the game is out to the public, they are working on getting what they already have working properly but maybe adding it in with homes in citys in a later update would be a grait ad on.its just something i would love to have added to Bannerlord that im missing from warband.

12919795_703175655246_7722708129500098485_n.jpg

I skip all posts like yours that don't have proper at least something resembling proper grammar or paragraph structures

I really WANT to know what you are talking about, so please use coherent sentences so you won't destroy my brain in the process.

I think just pass over it then, no one is forcing you to read it and to destroy your delicate brain.WE wouldn't want that remember safety first!

i guess bannerlord can take sneaking from darklands option like bribing, sneak trough sewer or climb the wall, using rope with hook can help easier to go through  and the heavier the person the more easily you fall down and sneak at night or daylight can impact to be found out it would be cool if they add alchemy too but i prefer real alchemy that known at that time maybe to create medicine,poison,gunpowder for explosive,or acid to melt stuff like iron door so we can sneak to the lord for assassination, and medicine for healing purpose maybe sickness too but i prefer it only impact village or town so something like plague it can help in besieging by poisoning the water or use medicine to heal civilian because sick villager impact your income and population.

Stromming said:
boomstomp said:

12919795_703175655246_7722708129500098485_n.jpg

I skip all posts like yours that don't have proper at least something resembling proper grammar or paragraph structures

I really WANT to know what you are talking about, so please use coherent sentences so you won't destroy my brain in the process.
You'll miss a lot of good posts that way

I wouldn't add alchemy since it would quickly show that there just was a lot they couldn't do back then and still can't do now.

but I would be all for sneaking though I worry that because the game is not build around it this will be another tacked-on feature.

boomstomp said:
I disagree. The whole purpose of the mission would be to;
First: Sneak into the city if you aren't recognized.
Second: Have a very hard fight (without armor) against a lot of elite enemies so that the mission is one of the hardest fights in the game.

When you consider the payoff, it's an easy siege not only because you always have more allies attacking than enemies defending (so when they all rush through the main gate it will almost always be a very overwhelming win for your side) but also that you can start the mission any time after the siege starts meaning you can attack the city long before the enemy has a chance to counter the siege with an army.

And programming a sneak ability will be a lot harder for the developers than using a system that is almost all there already, but it's just an idea if they don't have something like it in the game already.
They most likely won't add it before the game is out to the public, since they are working on getting what they already have working properly, but maybe adding it in with homes in cities in a later update would be a great addon.

It's just something I would love to have added to Bannerlord that I'm missing from Warband.

Fixed it for you.

hiul said:
i guess bannerlord can take sneaking from darklands option like bribing, sneak trough sewer or climb the wall, using rope with hook can help easier to go through  and the heavier the person the more easily you fall down and sneak at night or daylight can impact to be found out it would be cool if they add alchemy too but i prefer real alchemy that known at that time maybe to create medicine,poison,gunpowder for explosive,or acid to melt stuff like iron door so we can sneak to the lord for assassination, and medicine for healing purpose maybe sickness too but i prefer it only impact village or town so something like plague it can help in besieging by poisoning the water or use medicine to heal civilian because sick villager impact your income and population.
:lol: no offense but I honestly can't tell if you're serious or joking.

can i know why? btw what i mean is most of that is not base on action or moving your character in game but more like option to chose your path the result is base on our stats and item we possess something like the option when we reach town,castle,village especially when we try to sneak to hostile castle or town you just either been found out or just past like that i just give suggestion for more option rather than just choose sneak and done  just like old game of darklands which one of mount and blade base of from

and for SenorZorros what do you mean with alchemy would quickly show that there just was a lot they couldn't do back then and still can't do now?

when you say alchemy many people think of fantasy alchemy. the kind you see in skyrim. people would be able to make to make magical potions that makes them stronger and heals their wounds. sadly these things don't exist.

in the real medieval ages chemistry was in it's infancy. alchemy itself was actually only introduced in the west in 1144. remember, this is the time people still believed in the classical elements and the humors of the body. alchemy consisted of pouring stuff into a cauldron and looking what happened  more often than not poisoning the alchemist in the meantime. medicine was mostly based on medical herbs which often were only half-understood. gunpowder was only introduced in the middle east and the west in 1240. that's 140 years after the game's time frame's higher limit. alchemy itself was mostly about creating new ways to make compounds. there were few practical technologies we know about. metallurgy on the other hand was quite advanced but I assume you weren't interested in that :smile:

however, if you want to get drunk, alchemists did invent distillation (though you are probably still a century to early)

Back
Top Bottom