Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 11 - Some Context

Users who are viewing this thread

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">Hello all!</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">As many of you may have noticed, we have been rather busy! Last week, we visited Cologne, Germany to attend Gamescom, the largest game conference in Europe. While there, we took appointments to demonstrate some Bannerlord gameplay to the world's media. Along with this, we released a few videos which were used as part of our presentation.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">It has been great to see the excited response to the clips and we're very pleased that your feedback has been so positive! Of course, the game is still very much in development and so we had to make decisions about what to put in the videos and how it would be presented.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">Here, we have compiled some of the highlights, along with a small smattering of new footage, which we want to present to you the community, along with a little explanation about some of the features.</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/13

KuroiNekouPL said:
Though that is balanced by the power of larger, stronger weapons to hit more than one foe with a single swing!

I'm seriously disappointed. This is NOT the right way to go. Mount&Blade was supposed to be as realistic as possible while still keeping it fun. This is a step into the fantasy world direction.

There is a very long discussion on this topic, way way back on the forums for the original Mount and Blade game.  While it is not realistic to expect a weapon to slice completely through a person and into another person, there is all kinds of scenarios where a weapon can damage more than one person with one swing. You want reality? Well that is reality.  Swing a baseball bat in a crowd and tell me it isn't possible to hit more than one person with, at least, a glancing blow. Pure physics.  Unless you hit the first target at such an angle that the weapon comes to a complete stop, then the weapon will continue to move as long as there is applied force. Deflection.  In a crowded space, a second target may be hit.  Reality. Physics. Sorry to burst your bubble.

As someone else said, wait and see how it is implemented.

As far as what is the "right" way to go, that would be any direction that the developer feels is most beneficial for them.  If they choose to go this direction, then that is what the game has evolved into.  Whatever Bannerlords will be, it will not be the original Mount and Blade.  All things evolve and change.

sidhos said:
There is a very long discussion on this topic, way way back on the forums for the original Mount and Blade game.  While it is not realistic to expect a weapon to slice completely through a person and into another person, there is all kinds of scenarios where a weapon can damage more than one person with one swing. You want reality? Well that is reality.  Swing a baseball bat in a crowd and tell me it isn't possible to hit more than one person with, at least, a glancing blow. Pure physics.  Unless you hit the first target at such an angle that the weapon comes to a complete stop, then the weapon will continue to move as long as there is applied force. Deflection.  In a crowded space, a second target may be hit.  Reality. Physics. Sorry to burst your bubble.

As far as what is the "right" way to go, that would be any direction that the developer feels is most beneficial for them.  If they choose to go this direction, then that is what the game has evolved into.  Whatever Bannerlords will be, it will not be the original Mount and Blade.  All things evolve and change.
I think the reason many people feel it would be unrealistic is that there isnt really any physics for when a hit is made in M&B, if I strike an npc's head the weapon moves straight through it (something it would not do in real life). This is where the problem with multiple hits lies - I dont have a problem with hitting multiple enemies at all - but in my opinion there must be some physics for when a hit is made. Otherwise it would feel as if the weapon is some lightsabre gliding/slicing through multiple enemies as if the were butter. Using your anology if I swing a baseball bat into a crowd it may well hit multiple people, but it would react to each hit it made and alter it momentum and force. But importantly I would feel each hit impact as I am holding the bat - in M&B at the moment you would not feel each hit it would be like swinging through plain air.

If they allow multiple hits they must add physics/collisions to weapons swings in my opinion, its hard to tell from the footage they have released so far but i dont think this happens at the moment.

What I want to know is if looting vilages and attacking caravans has a bigger impact on a factions economy, as well as if there will be a morale system for the AI. Say you raised a village and defeated it's lord a couple of times, his armies morale should be low enough that it's possible to make them flee.

I also want the routed enemies not vanish once they reach their target town/castle. At the moment, they just disappear, but it would be much more logical if they actually supplemented the garrison.

The Bowman said:
I also want the routed enemies not vanish once they reach their target town/castle. At the moment, they just disappear, but it would be much more logical if they actually supplemented the garrison.
But if they recently suffered a big defeat from the player, they should still have a morale penalty if you attack the town/castle.  Another thing that would be cool is if there is some sort of battle reputation that could work for both the player and the AI.  So for instance there could be an enemy lord who is known to field a lot of cavalry in his army, and who also will fight to the last man.  The player will have to come up with a certain strategy to defeat him. (Such as bringing more spearmen or missile cavalry.) And for the player, if you are known to kill lords after defeating them in battle, you will be feared among the enemy lords.
(Think of it like the War chief  traits in SoM)

La Grandmaster said:
sidhos said:

I think the reason many people feel it would be unrealistic is that there isnt really any physics for when a hit is made in M&B, if I strike an npc's head the weapon moves straight through it (something it would not do in real life). This is where the problem with multiple hits lies - I dont have a problem with hitting multiple enemies at all - but in my opinion there must be some physics for when a hit is made. Otherwise it would feel as if the weapon is some lightsabre gliding/slicing through multiple enemies as if the were butter. Using your anology if I swing a baseball bat into a crowd it may well hit multiple people, but it would react to each hit it made and alter it momentum and force. But importantly I would feel each hit impact as I am holding the bat - in M&B at the moment you would not feel each hit it would be like swinging through plain air.

If they allow multiple hits they must add physics/collisions to weapons swings in my opinion, its hard to tell from the footage they have released so far but i dont think this happens at the moment.

They wouldn't really need to add collisions to weapon swings to do this.  That would be mostly for visual effect.  The damage (and the chance of a deflected blow hitting another target) would just need to be calculated in the results of the swing.  It would be nice, but maybe not feasible in multiplayer mode?  That is a lot of collision control.  Personally, I don't care either way, if they have it or not.  The game doesn't have it now and still holds my attention, although I have been playing since the original wasn't even finished yet.  That is a pretty long time to still enjoy a game.  I'm hoping Bannerlords follows in the same footsteps.

Trying still to get an idea for all the new features id want a easier time with the lance since i cant hit the broad side of the horse much less the butt hole of the man on it. a deployment by plan where troops deploy and i can just form ranks kinda like brytanwalda mod. the moors need a simmilar set group or sub faction not to excited about the rome to darkage but if thats what you need. i was hoping a for a more Victorian style era early colonization or even Gothic christian era. but im gonna buy and play none the less a  better graphics engine would be fun. but im sure it will be fine it looks nice. hope fully you can keep the blood realistic rather then overkill no offense but i like to view my pile of corpses without excessive amounts of blood. if i wanted a blood bathed battle field i can get that elsewhere. i really like siege weapons will the defender also have siege weapons and anti siege weapons boiled oil exploding vases and i know this is a huge bummer of a request but its a must sappers the troops that ruined everything if you had them against you hell id play a sapper but if not i can wait but please consider sappers as sniper bait for a siege. rather then making it just a artillery siege on the gates but really let us dig in and pick them down. well i doubt this is anywhere near on time but i hope its considered write me back here or there.

One thing I would love to see is the ability to tell my groups who to attack.  For example, order my archers to target opposing archers as a priority. 

Good day to all you relatively decent lads, so i'm a bit new here so if I make a mistake, find it in your undoubtedly kindled heart to forgive me!  :party:

Anyways time to get right into it! I'd like to revisit the subject of horses very quickly, I grew up on a horse farm which was owned by my family you see and worked there for a large majority of my summers... Anyways, to the matter at hand, while I might have never worked with a "War Horse" before I can tell you now horses are pretty dam huge, and that doesn't even factor in Draft Horses (The Real MVPs).

Now I can see this being something a bit hard for an indie game studio to make, when you think of everything those poor bastards must have on their plates, yet when iv'e played M&B games i've noticed two key things.

1. Enemy soldiers seem to show few signs of fear as they make little attempt to avoid being ran down by these giant animals...
(But you can pass it off as being brave soldiers I suppose, not to mention the implications that could add to the entire battle in general)

2. Speaking of avoiding being ran down, was there any word of Horse + Man =  :dead: Physics yet? All things considered I don't care if you're fully plated in armor made of only the finest of materials, a horse will run you down regardless. So I do hope they add some kind of falling down animation rather then just have the AIs act as of they were pushed. (Even something simple like the one in VC)

But that's just my two cents!

2. Speaking of avoiding being ran down, was there any word of Horse + Man =  :dead: Physics yet? All things considered I don't care if you're fully plated in armor made of only the finest of materials, a horse will run you down regardless. So I do hope they add some kind of falling down animation rather then just have the AIs act as of they were pushed. (Even something simple like the one in VC quote]

are you going to want a dodge feature added in too!!

this may hinder forming ranks to stop Calvary from being able to charge. a war horse in midst of infantry is dead doesn't matter if its peasants or trained guard thats why Calvary need screening advancements so they can form and charge with light casualties. i use infantry for my brunt ranks 4 deep and calvary to challenge anyone silly enough to break ranks and charge. ai defense was and is horrible and calvary can and will run you down. but sending cav into the ranks is expensive and guaranteed to not go well unless you screen your infantry with cav right behind for a shock and awe. the use of cav is limited by its ability to maneuver but thats cavs stregnth thats why the throwing them out of the way rather then push them aside might be unfair advantage since it would open ranks that were closed depending on how it was implemented is what id like to know before it is added.

but leaning pike and offensive encampments with trenches  and spikes cal-traps would be neat totally unfair to horses since it removes there strength completely so it honestly depends on how it affects game play 

SoloniusTheMerchant said:
2. Speaking of avoiding being ran down, was there any word of Horse + Man =  :dead: Physics yet? All things considered I don't care if you're fully plated in armor made of only the finest of materials, a horse will run you down regardless. So I do hope they add some kind of falling down animation rather then just have the AIs act as of they were pushed. (Even something simple like the one in VC)

There is a falling animation, you just need more speed.

Something happening guys! FREE weekend warband on steam. Dvs use to do things like that when a seacual or whatever it spells like is coming

pellehard said:
Something happening guys! FREE weekend warband on steam. Dvs use to do things like that when a seacual or whatever it spells like is coming

Could be an attempt to introduce more people to the series and get exposure. Also could make some sales possibly. Smart move by TaleWorlds.

Mr.Nock said:
pellehard said:

Could be an attempt to introduce more people to the series and get exposure. Also could make some sales possibly. Smart move by TaleWorlds.

Yepp its a smart and a good move to do that. :smile:
But you never know. After this weekend they might come out with an date when the free period is over

Didass said:
sidhos said:
One thing I would love to see is the ability to tell my groups who to attack.  For example, order my archers to target opposing archers as a priority.
+1

+1

A day before your post, I was thinking about the same thing. I often use a lot of crossbowmen in my armies and I'd prefer them targetting enemy cavalry or during sieges archers instead of infantry.

Back
Top Bottom