Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 10 - Materialistic Approaches

Users who are viewing this thread

HTML:
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm; line-height: 0.34cm;">Hello all Mount & Blade players, curious individuals and accidental Mount & Blade blog readers! We hope you are having a wonderful 2015, so far and that you enjoyed our previous blog by Finn Seliger, covering the music of Bannerlord.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm; line-height: 0.34cm;">This time, the blog comes right from us and we're going to be touching on an interesting new feature for the single player, something we know a lot of you want to hear about.</p></br> Read more at: <a href="http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/12">http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/12</a>

ToyBoat said:
Yeah, I play quite similarly to you, original. I've never even raided a village. I just like to take a small piece of land and nurture it. I don't have any interest in conquering the entire peninsula.

I though you did a post on the forms about conquering the world as the Rhodoks? and doing well if I remember.

there should be 'lie' option at bartering.  :twisted: it would be so realistic and unpredictible. if they add a plot system too game ll be very comlex and real.

Stevebob said:
I though you did a post on the forms about conquering the world as the Rhodoks? and doing well if I remember.
Nope. I've 'beaten' the game once as Khergits but that was just to say I did. You must have me confused with someone else

ToyBoat said:
Stevebob said:
Nope. I've 'beaten' the game once as Khergits but that was just to say I did. You must have me confused with someone else

oh ok :smile:

ToyBoat said:
Yeah, I play quite similarly to you, original. I've never even raided a village. I just like to take a small piece of land and nurture it. I don't have any interest in conquering the entire peninsula.

I thought I was the only one...  :cry:

Stevebob said:
original said:
In Warband, with the revamped formulas, I understood the hardship formula, but again it was flawed, and prosperity of my Town did not increase despite my best efforts to help it.

I never did a lot with the villages but the towns will grow in prosperity but it has to be through caravans so long times of trade will make your town great. you can talk to the gild master about the wealth of the town... sorry you were disappointed with the First and Second :sad:  if it helps the king always gives you the hardest off village.

This brings back memories to when I loved the game so much that I wanted to delve into the formulas. I'll explain why prosperity in Caldaria was doomed to always be low.

Hardship Index
The hardship index is just a measure of whether or not the town has enough resources. If the hardship index is high, that means the town is suffering from shortages, usually due to villages around it being pillaged and no village is trading with them.

High hardship index = low prosperity.

Reason for low prosperity in towns: eternally high hardship index.
The first reason is that the hardship index of a town that just suffered a war, never decreased to the number before the war started.

Let's say the peace time hardship index of a town is 20. The higher the number, the more scarce the goods and the less prosperous the place.

If villagers bring a lot of goods to the town, the hardship index decreases. But most of the time, villagers only bring just enough to prevent the hardship index from being higher. So generally speaking, villagers only stabilize the hardship index, they don't have enough goods to decrease it.

Suddenly, war started. Villages around the town are being pillaged, causing a shortage of goods. No villages trade with the town, the town suffers resource shortages, and the hardship index increases to 50.

The war then stopped. Villages recover, and resume trading with the town.

There are 2 ways to lower the hardship index, one is a natural decay of hardship index that is not dependent on villagers trading. I cannot remember the exact rate, it's like 5%, a very small number. But it exists in the formula.

The 2nd is for villagers to lower it by bring more goods. The problem is, villagers as I mentioned earlier, can only stabilize the hardship index. They usually never trade enough to lower the hardship index.

So that leaves the hardship natural decay. The problem is, the number is so small, that it doesn't lower enough and is often countered by some other variable. So the town's hardship index remains at 50.
Again, the villagers only trade enough to prevent it from going any higher. They only trade enough to stabilize the hardship index, whether it was 20 before the war started, or 50 after the war.

This shows that the formula is flawed. The formula is supposed to lower the hardship index to 20, the pre-war number, from natural trading between the villages and town. But it never happened because the way the formula was written depends on the decay rate, and using that number just felt clunky.

Reason for low prosperity in villages: cattle numbers doomed

1. The first reason is due to rounding. The birth rate of cattle is 5%.
Decimals will get rounded down in for the game engine. So you need 20 cattle or more to ensure that there will be a birth of 1 cattle. If you have only 19 cattle, 5% of 19 is 0.95, no cattle born. So it must be 20 or more.

The developer actually fixed it after I pointed it out, but there are more problems.

2. The second reason is due to grazing size.
Cattle and sheep share grazing size. Yes there are actually sheep in the formulas but they are never sold. It is a way to control the cattle population, so that they never increase to millions.

Once the number of cattle and sheep exceed the grazing size, they will die to starvation and decrease.

The problem is, sometimes it is possible for you to have the perfect number of cattle and sheep to have exactly the same size as the grazing size. So the cattle and sheep will never die to starvation. I *think* cattle and sheep cannot give birth if they match the grazing size, so no births or deaths can happen at this point. But the 3rd reason will reveal why cattle population will always be low.

3. Only cattle suffer an epidemic. Sheep don't.
This means that the cattle population will always decrease, and the sheep will always increase when they compete for grazing size.
And once they reach that exact equilibrium with the grazing size, the population doesn't change, except when an epidemic happens to cattle again.

Villages also depend on cattle to make milk and cheese for towns. Low cattle means lower than intended resources for the town. And when I was playing, all villages will eventually have low cattle population, because as time goes by, the cattle epidemic will keep happening.

So what happened is Caldaria is forever doomed to have lower prosperity.

monoolho said:
Sforzesco said:
It would be super if you could barter PROMISES, instead of direct real things:

* you don't have a real fief (for now), but you are at war and are respected leader and expected to win the war. So you could PROMISE a fief for a lord defecting to you!
* or PROMISE money for a mercenary group (of course I will pay, later...)
* or PROMISE secret support once a claimant declares war (a bit like Crusader Kings II / Sengoku) plotting system.

THIS. This would be an excellent addition. Something like a TRUST meter. It would be far logical to begin the game with zero trust and then work your way up through quests and negotiations (this sort, not simple marketplace "bought 4 packs of rice now you can trust me"). Even if we couldn't use the promises, the simple trust meter could be used to lower your price in the bartering system, although that wouldn't be as cool, it's still functional.

But promises, that's... That's something very neat that could work very well, even if you could only use 5 options, like "I promise to pay [####] until [##] date",  "I promise to follow your army when [xxxx]", "I promise to [capture/take/give] you [xxxx] fief by [##]date" and so on. A Simple system that would add a lot of gameplay options. Although it could be a bit late to add it now.
Giving a promise could be simple as generating a quest "Give Jarl Turya a 20000 gold. Time 100 days". If you fail the quest, he would get mad, and perhaps you "global" trustometer/reputation/renown/faction relations would go down.
By the way, quest log should be color coded "ongoing/failed/completed(prize not taken yet)"

I realized that every time I opened taleworlds.com my eyes become sticked to screenshoot with that bald dude. I don't know why, but it looks for me the best screen of BL.

Rongar said:
I don't know why, but it looks for me the best screen of BL.

I wouldn't say "best" but rather "most recent", with all the eye candies that were turned off or not yet implemented when the earlier screens were taken.

Syndrella said:
I would like to see a much deeper economy and city management in this game. Make your own kingdom to conquer or just if you have enough rescources and people your own cities, villages, hamlets and forts. Maybe as a mod at least could be implemented but I would like to see something similar or this idea I think it's just cool and if you tired to wandering then you can caretake your own land.

Love this comment. Much love.

original said:
This brings back memories to when I loved the game so much that I wanted to delve into the formulas. I'll explain why prosperity in Caldaria was doomed to always be low. ....

That's some awesome research you did. I take it the forumlas were not something you could mod for some reason? You mentioned the dev changed one of them once you reported it... How in the world did you discover the formula in the first place?

After 3 years you post this screenshot  :mrgreen: you guys are hilarious

Are you building a rocket or something in game that can send us to the Mars?

I'm really getting too old to play games, this was my favorite game and i waited 3 years for you guys but in the past year i haven't played a game
hope i can still play games when you get this out in 2025 or 2030 o something...

letgrab said:
After 3 years you post this screenshot  :mrgreen:. You guys are hilarious.

Are you building a rocket or something in game that can send us to the Mars?

I'm really getting too old to play games; this was my favorite game and I waited 3 years for you guys but in the past year I haven't played a game.
Hope I can still play games when you get this out in 2025 or 2030 or something...

No such thing.

I hope, they translate the game to spanish as well. Sorry for my bad english, that's why i want the game in spanish.

ShaneRoach said:
original said:
This brings back memories to when I loved the game so much that I wanted to delve into the formulas. I'll explain why prosperity in Caldaria was doomed to always be low. ....

That's some awesome research you did. I take it the forumlas were not something you could mod for some reason? You mentioned the dev changed one of them once you reported it... How in the world did you discover the formula in the first place?

M&B release source files which should be what the modders use as well. They do have formulas in there. It was difficult to read at first, and it required testing to see what went wrong.

But me reading the formulas is still trivial, compared to the full blown mods that people create.

hugo90 said:
I hope, they translate the game to spanish as well. Sorry for my bad english, that's why i want the game in spanish.
It is very likely that they will either translate the game into Spanish themselves, or the Spanish community will provide a translation.

MaHuD said:
hugo90 said:
It is very likely that they will either translate the game into Spanish themselves, or the Spanish community will provide a translation.
Yes i know, but is always better an official translation, and if the community makes a translation you have to wait several weeks or months

I have seen alot of people asking for more city and town management options.  I think that is a good idea, but be careful.  I don't think it would be a good idea to turn this into a Sim city game. I do like the idea of improving towns and cities over time, but the time it takes to complete them should be some what realistic.

This game won't become another simcity with the option to make new towns and cities because this game is all around game with the possibility to make/manage new holdings. This option is very simple like the map making just drag and drop buildings and you can scale them. I would like to make my new kingdom with my own peoples and lords instead capturing others or conquer. This gives more freedom to make your own way the game and it's also could be mod either. I know the programming time with this increase but then we have another useful option which optional and nobody force you to use just you can if you want. (If have the materials to do it)

Back
Top Bottom