Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 1 - Hairy Artists

Users who are viewing this thread

<p>Fans of the Mount&Blade series and passing readers, this blog is intended as a source of insight to our world of game development and the TaleWorlds family. Our offices are a series of rooms on a long corridor. Each room physically hosts a different team with a different focus, mirroring our actual team based development structure. This week's blog will discuss the artists' team, known to us as artist takimi (Turkish).</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/2

Arvenski said:
Rebelknight said:
wesleyveron said:
Someone know if gonna has catapult or trebuchet in the Bannerlord? Or someone think about it?
:shock:
Indeed. That guy makes even your English look good.  :razz:

On topic:

@wesleyveron: No, we don't know if they'll be working catapults or trebuchets in Bannerlord (although it'd be cool as hell if they were added :cool:). We don't know much of anything, to be honest.
In the interview, a book on medieval siege machines was related, so there's still a chance.

so that means that every helmet you wear is going to make your character bald again? that sucks.... oh well... please have a bigger focus on the dialogues and on character development as well, at least a bit bigger then it was on mount e blade, i would love to be able to talk more with companions and with the lords, maybe even do things with them that doesn't involve quest for reward only... and the most important thing, CONSPIRACYS! ALLOW LORDS TO BE ABLE TO DO CONSPIRACYS, against the king or agaisn't another lord, or agaisn't an entire faction...

I wish archery isn't as overpowered in bannerlord.  My suggestion is that encumbrance should sharply decrease accuracy, damage and rate of fire of archery.  No Legolas decked out in lordly suits of full plate armor.

Premade faction troops don't abuse archery (I rarely see them wearing more than chainmail), but I have a problem with archers decked out in a suit of the heaviest full plate armor.  It's unrealistic because archers should have a realistic melee handicap... which my customized companions/troops don't have.  They'll destroy you at max range or in melee.

Bravado said:
I wish archery isn't as overpowered in bannerlord.  My suggestion is that encumbrance should sharply decrease accuracy, damage and rate of fire of archery.  No Legolas decked out in lordly suits of full plate armor.

Premade faction troops don't abuse archery (I rarely see them wearing more than chainmail), but I have a problem with archers decked out in a suit of the heaviest full plate armor.  It's unrealistic because archers should have a realistic melee handicap... which my customized companions/troops don't have.  They'll destroy you at max range or in melee.
It takes forever to level up to the point of easily head shot someone from across the battlefield. I don't want to spend twice that time to get to that point.

I hope the game will be GAMEPLAY-oriented as was the previous M&B. The new graphics looks very good, (maybe too good i fear for the big battles?- but hope the engine really brings up some frames/second as you mentioned) !!! But remember that reasonable hardware requirements and a realistic, free and fluid gameplay experience, is what created such a big loyal fanbase around Warband !! :wink:

Bravado said:

Sure, it's probably accidental that medieval manuscripts usually depict archers wearing the same armour as other soldiers. The illustrators must have known full well that archers are a special breed of congenital invalid, who are inherently worse at everything other than archery and suffer the effects of every possible hindrance more severely than their peers, but failed to adequately represent this in their works, leading to some ridiculous 21st century misinterpretations of archery.

Meevar the Mighty said:
Sure, it's probably accidental that medieval manuscripts usually depict archers wearing the same armour as other soldiers.
Yes, they wore the same crappy leather armor or no armor as "other soldiers" (aka peasant levys) unless you somehow found medieval manuscripts of knights in full plate armor wielding bows.  I would really love to see that.

Rydmer said:
It takes forever to level up to the point of easily head shot someone from across the battlefield. I don't want to spend twice that time to get to that point.
You don't have to spend twice the time to get to that point. Just take off your full plate armor and wear lighter armor like leather, scale or lamelar if you want to pew pew with bows.

I think we should have a Co-Op, it would be so fun to ride around with your friend and have your own faction or join a certain faction and fight each other and show who the real king is! You would probably have to make the battles happen in real time so it dose not freeze the world so they both don't have to be fighting, only pause the world if both players are stopped or in battle,  it would make the game be so much fun, me and my friend both play Warband so much, to be able to play together would make it Banner-lord our favorite game, Warband is my favorite game any way but having co-op would be amazing in Banner-lord.

Dear developers,
There are number of things I would like to see in your upcoming project. I personally see Mount and Blade as a unique, one of its kind game, giving you guys the upper hand on other game competitors.
However, I would like to share my thoughts with you guys:

Regarding development:
- I read that the game is written in Python, which is fun and relatively easy and as you already know, its not a compiling language? it will cost lots of performance issues. I know its hard (maybe ignored as it requires rebuilding of the entire game) but using C or java will hopefully improve performance.
- Another thing for later-on moding, enthusiasts (like me) usually use open source programs (like blender) to make a sword for instance, is there an easier way to integrate what I made to your game?
- Would you mind sharing your game engine? agin, for further development? or using something like Unity? were lots of other people are familiar with?
- To save time, could you make randomly generated world? like Minecraft? other than making it fixed?

Gameplay:
- Introduce death to the game, were you can really get killed (or executed), and your player really dies (I don't know if blood and some decapitation is allowed in the game or not, but would be "fun" to see some body parts flying around in battle). However, the player resumes the game as his child (thats were the benefits of marriage comes in) as he inherits abilities (from both pairs) and assets.
- Random generated factions, and looks depend on the location (cold areas inhabits weight people, hot areas, black), as well as clothing (fur cots for mountain areas). They could mix later on in the game to generate more factions.
- Training, player can become a spacial worrier (assassin, ninja.. etc) by joining their league and doing missions.
- Multirole player, you are more that just a killer, you can become a manager.
- Survival, were you need to hunt to eat, make shelter, clothe, sell hide and meat in the open world.
- Zombi or undead army? for fun.

Dude, Python is used only to compile game files, not to run Warband. They are dropping it for Bannerlord anyway. Don't ask what they'll use, they won't say yet.
Ask modding questions in the Forge if you are a "modding enthusiast".
They won't share the engine. Generating random worlds doesn't save time.

Bravado said:
Meevar the Mighty said:
Sure, it's probably accidental that medieval manuscripts usually depict archers wearing the same armour as other soldiers.
Yes, they wore the same crappy leather armor or no armor as "other soldiers" (aka peasant levys) unless you somehow found medieval manuscripts of knights in full plate armor wielding bows.  I would really love to see that.
Battle_of_crecy_froissart.jpg

FrisianDude said:
Bravado said:
Meevar the Mighty said:
Pics or it didn't...oh wait...

FrisianDude said:
Bravado said:

That's... Not full plate. And neither do I see any knight equipped with a bow.

No ****, but they're in brigandines, much like the horsemen (except for a few of the richest horsemen), a far cry from 'crappy leather armor' indeed.

That was resolved in PMs btw. There are heaps of depictions of archers in full plate and all sorts of other heavy armour. Any reduction on protection seen is generally relatively minor stuff like less of a neckguard on helmets and less hand protection. Archers in medieval European armies were typically "middle class" and could afford and use decent equipment.

Here's a particularly cheesy but accessible picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt

Wow, I have only just found out about this game and started playing the original Mount and Blade after seeing it on a Steam sale, that was 2 weeks ago, since then, I have bought M&B: Fire and Sword and expansions up to M&B Warband, which mind you I have not stopped playing for over a week straight!

I just had to find these forums and tell Taleworlds how awesome their game is and that I absolutely cannot wait for M&B 2, the Dev blogs and screen shots are awesome, keep them coming!

Is there anyway for the community to support this game via donating or something similar? I would love to throw more money at the Devs to help support them and the game. I much prefer a small, loyal, family-like company/development team, than a faceless, big money hungry corporation, that cares little for it's player base or loyal community.

I am an avid gamer of many genres but mainly RPGs and I really enjoy medieval strategy games. I cannot believe that I have only just found out about this game now...

I have spread the word across many friends and game forums anyway, so I am sure once they play it and realise how much potential this game has they will jump on board like I have.

Anyway just wanted to say thank you for an awesome game and again, I can't wait for M&B 2 :smile:

Back
Top Bottom