Mount&Blade Font Customiser Lite | By Swyter

Users who are viewing this thread

Swyter

Grandmaster Knight
▧What is that?
Following with my personal tools releasing campaign, this time I'm publishing a tool that generates valid charset recreation for existing M&B fonts.

▧Why I should use it?
That's it, a program that makes a texture template from an existing font_data.xml, so you can create fonts without modifying the Data folder.
This may be useful for Original M&B modules.

▧How I use it?
Double click on the program, select font, if you want, select a non default charset file, and, of course, click on Generate. a font.png file will be created in your
selected destination, adjust some rebel chars, and convert it in a game DDS file.

▧Story
This program was my first idea for the original Font Customiser, The guys that talked about this and me thought that was impossible. That was the main reason for creating Iron Launcher.

One year and half after I woke again with this idea into my head. Two days of intense GDI programming, and here you have.
It doesn't throws a final font.dds image, only an easy editable PNG, that you can manually convert.
That's because it needs some little adjustments due singularities of every font.
I've gave you a "Boxed chars" option to help you to correctly situate some displaced ones.

Personally I've tried it so many times and works like a charm.
Although it does not have the same quality than a complete Texture+Data font that you may obtain with my other tool: M&B Font Customiser

Download Option 1
Download Option 2
V0.1 Windows XP/Vista/7 (5.69mb)

Last edited by a moderator:
▧Screenies, Again
      A screenie is worth a thousand words... again :wink:

Easy and intuitive interface, three steps: select a font face, configure you options and go!
The buttons are shown in Spanish only if your Windows it's configured in that language...
fc_lite_1.png

The preview screen, note the image's transparency:
fc_lite_2.png

MadocComadrin said:
Geez, let some of us be awesome for a change  :cool:

Great job!
:oops:  Oh c'mon! Are you serious? Every guy of the M&B it's awesome. Good job at choosing modding platform :wink:
If you use my tools the only thing I can give you is some ease and speed. :smile:  The awesomeness comes from you.

apsod said:
You are like a program factory  Great work
haha. good one. Lots of time free in the hottest hours of summer.  :razz:

Oh, I forget comment that the Screenies section it's ready as usual... in the second post. Use the Spoiler.

What the...? Don't you have anything else to do? Go out, walk around, see friends? ":lol:

EDIT: damn, I've begun to automatically put a quote before each : character... local vars in the modsys, you know...

Lumos said:
What the...? Don't you have anything else to do? Go out, walk around, see friends? " :lol:

EDIT: damn, I've begun to automatically put a quote before each : character... local vars in the modsys, you know...

I've finished both today, it's really hot out there.
Yeah, of course, one reason more to implement my wizard-assistant-weird-thing  :lol: , in the other program,BTW take this an eye and tell to me.

Is this for warband only, or I can use it in 1.011 also? This and the other program you released m.sys manager.

iggorbb said:
Is this for warband only, or I can use it in 1.011 also? This and the other program you released m.sys manager.
Both are valid for every single M&B version. I always think in scalability and multi-language support. They're built-up compatibility gems, thought for future mb engine versions.  :idea:

Ziller said:
map editor for warband next lol great tools dose speed it
Lumos said:
Yeah, that'd be good. Make it for M&B too and make it so you can resize the polys in the editor himself.
This can be your portion of the bread.

I knew this moment may come someday, the bad news is that my OpenGL knowings are lacking (the free graphic subsystem used also for OpenBRF), I'm not even skilled for 3D programming at all.

Our vectoring god mtarini was working on a personal Map editor, and he, as part of the VCG (the creators of Meshlab and Digital sculpture reconstruction), is a real expert of this subject, his reverse engineering + all the awesome work in animations, recomputing normals, triangulation algorithms etc. I'll start to experiment with this stuff. But I am not the right guy for this task.  :smile: .

Hi.  Any chance that there will be a version that works with Warband?  The font.dds format is totally different than the output from this.

xenoargh said:
Hi.  Any chance that there will be a version that works with Warband?  The font.dds format is totally different than the output from this.

Hi xenoargh,

Haven't you understood this program functionality yet?
Well, if you want to make a font with the combination FONT.DDS + FONT_DATA.XML use my other program Font Customiser.

The Lite version it's only intended to make modified versions of an existing FONT_DATA.XML files, that means that you can use the same charset template with various typographies, only by changing the FONT.DDS file.

For example: As module texture file under the Original Mount&Blade, that lacks of 'Modulable Data folder' feature.
That I requested to the devs and they finally added it on the WB 1.7~ patch

Better now? I think that can be useful for someone in a punctual situation...

PS: I've included a descriptor file (FONT_DATA.XML)  in the package, but you can choose other one in the Browse box. Use the Warband descriptor or other WBmodule one generated with my MBFC program, so you can create font replacements following the same charset scheme.

fc_lite_2.png

Er, I'm afraid I still don't understand.  Am I supposed to manually cut out the areas around these new characters, paste the resulting image over the font.dds, same with the alpha?

xenoargh said:
Er, I'm afraid I still don't understand.  Am I supposed to manually cut out the areas around these new characters, paste the resulting image over the font.dds, same with the alpha?

Yeah, open the existing FONT.DDS file with Gimp or Photoshop and use the generated template with already positioned chars to replace it with the new one. You may need to make some simple adjustments. Easy.

With some tests I've done, I know that the entire re-font can be finished in less than 10 minutes.
Otherwise, without this almost perfect template, it turns into a really hard task. Various days.

OK, I'll give it a try then.

<tries it>

The output is all black, with green rectangles, with the TrueType font I used.  Is that what it's supposed to be?

xenoargh said:
The output is all black, with green rectangles, with the TrueType font I used.  Is that what it's supposed to be?

Here's a non-transparent random output file for me: http://a.imagehost.org/0431/font.png
I'm hating the vertical offset problem in the windows fonts. there isn't an standard rule and every font uses it's own size.

Hmm, maybe it's the font, then.  I'll test Arial.

<tests>

Nope, it's all black, except for green borders.  It's like it isn't doing the part of the operation where it's supposed to write the font to the bitmap at all.

xenoargh said:
Hmm, maybe it's the font, then.  I'll test Arial.

<tests>

Nope, it's all black, except for green borders.  It's like it isn't doing the part of the operation where it's supposed to write the font to the bitmap at all.

strange... I haven't the code with me right now... And I doubt I enlarge this experiment... anyways
Use Font Customiser for font editing, I'm sure that this would work for you.  :razz: Pick the file here.

I haven't updated it since a year, but it should work fine for Warband too, and you can enjoy with a plugin system, unicode output, chinese and cyrillic support, translatable interface and lots of options, the perfect solution for a restless brain.  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom