Mount & Blade doesn't like ATI

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm adding my voice here, that's a real issue because we can't get the best of the wonderful game.

Hope we'll get some attention with this thread.

Given this week is a holiday for most Turks I wouldn't expect much :razz: Of course, knowing ATi half the problem is finding out what they've changed in the first place, they're somewhat reluctant to discuss the workings of their drivers most of the time.

Mind you, all you'll get from DX9 is prettier water and shiny armour. Not exactly a game changing alteration here ....

This is funny earlier i had nvidia card i played in dx7 now i got new ati card and im still playing in dx7  :lol:

Any way i hope one or other side will solve the problem...

Any way if you run game in dx7+HDR it dont look that bad :smile:

dragonball said:
As per the title suggest, our so call mid to high end 3850 to 4870 have to use Directx 7.0 to play this game. That sucks big time!  :mad: Directx 7.0 does look very dated, infact it's ugly.

But thankfully the gameplay is too good not to play hence all of us with ATI cards have to be VERY patient as I've read the problems have been around for quite sometime already.

BTW I'm using 1.003.

Problems collected from all the posts; texture problems.

Hopefully the problems would be able to be solved ASAP

ATI users unite!!!  :grin:

Im using a brand new EAH4870X2.  When using in Direct X 9, the game is in a complete shade of red.  When using in Direct 7, the game glitches almost if the graphics card is about to blow up.  When I reduce the detail to 60-80% the game tends to stop glitching.

SchutzStaffel said:
Im using a brand new EAH4870X2.  When using in Direct X 9, the game is in a complete shade of red.  When using in Direct 7, the game glitches almost if the graphics card is about to blow up.  When I reduce the detail to 60-80% the game tends to stop glitching.

Thats funny you got better card than mine and i play everything on max except im ati user so dx7 + HDR mod...and im pissed no gamma options in dx7 :sad:

Also BattleSizer set at 400 :smile: no problems :smile:

Any way my spec is c2d 3.0Ghz,4gb ram and Gigabyte 3870...oh yee and i run it on version 8.9 of graphics drivers..

I reverted to 8.4 just to be able to play this game on DX9. Still some glitches on some reflects unless I reduce the shadow detail to high. (not very high). I also got 'Unable to lock vertex buffer' if I put battle size large enough.
Anyway, I hope this gonna be fixed soon.

i have the same problem on a geforce go 7900 gs.
dell laptop running vista.
i play for a while, and click any button, vertex buffering error or whatever it was.

arghl, i tried in DX7 mode, and got the same problem.
RGL ERROR, vertex thingy wrong.
clicked 3 buttons consecutively, and it crashed within moments.

The way I understand it, a vertex buffer overflow is caused by the game trying to buffer more objects than your card can reserve video RAM for. The fault therefore lies with your particular video card's limitations and your choice of game settings rather than with the design of the game itself. Turning down the battle size and/or object detail should help with this, unless your card is barely scraping by the minimum requirements.

my particular video cards limitations?
meh, seems like it was the graphical updates mod that caused it. uninstalled the resources, and now it at least seems to run smoothly.

Archonsod said:
Given this week is a holiday for most Turks I wouldn't expect much :razz: Of course, knowing ATi half the problem is finding out what they've changed in the first place, they're somewhat reluctant to discuss the workings of their drivers most of the time.

Mind you, all you'll get from DX9 is prettier water and shiny armour. Not exactly a game changing alteration here ....

Graphical upgrades are always incremental.  The small visual enhancements add up and for some people pretty water, shiny armor, and better lighting are important.

I notice a lot of people blaming the problem on ATI, but it can't all be their fault.  If their drivers are so problematic, then why do all other games run fine on ATI cards? They must have some kind of support infrastructure for game developers.

Okay, let's just clarify a few things:

Nobody should really be saying that anyone did anything bad. Armagan didn't break it, and ATI didn't actively break it.

As anyone who has ever worked on a coding project larger than the standard High School/University ones can tell you, it is REALLY easy to bugger things up. One fix (maybe to enhance performance for MEPC, or even to fix a previous error) can have massive repercussions for other components (the shaders used by certain games for example).

Nobody is the bad guy. The burden of responsibility to fix this is technically on ATI. However, as has been stated (over and over and over...), people think Armagan needs to fix this. Does he need to? Knowing ATI, probably (if only for the purposes of sales). But is it his responsibility to fix this problem? Nope.

Think of it like this: You have some very noisy neighbors. And while it was somewhat entertaining the first few nights, it is getting really hard to sleep (damn newlyweds...). By all means, they should quiet down. And they probably will eventually. But that doesn't mean you can't invest in some earplugs. It isn't quite the same, but I think that metaphor should work.

creiner said:
Graphical upgrades are always incremental.  The small visual enhancements add up and for some people pretty water, shiny armor, and better lighting are important.
I'm not saying they aren't, the point is the game plays the exact same way. You can play the DX7 version, and once the fix is out you can switch to DX9 and continue playing. Won't do much good if the game then crashes with an invalid party script error five minutes later though ...
I notice a lot of people blaming the problem on ATI, but it can't all be their fault.  If their drivers are so problematic, then why do all other games run fine on ATI cards?
They don't. Mass Effect & Neverwinter Nights 2 are just two of the games which were (and in some cases still are) affected by this that I know of. Search their respective tech forums around about the time the change occurred and you'll find numerous posts by ATi users reporting graphical anomalies, crashes and similar. I'm sure there's a host of games out there which weren't affected, and I bet there's more which were. I really don't know enough about graphics coding or what ATi changed specifically to say.
They must have some kind of support infrastructure for game developers.
Not really, and particularly not for small games developers :lol:. AMD/ATi's support is the same as most large corporations, take a ticket and wait in the queue. I doubt the problem is support though, it's not as simple as just tweaking a code value and done. The rendering engine requires rewrites, which means it requires more testing, not just to ensure the problem is fixed but also to ensure it hasn't broken anything else. This isn't the only bug that needs fixing either.

Starving said:
Is there an ETA on when this will be fixed?

Are you insane!? Don't ever ask that question on a forum, or else you'll get 5 replies in a row about how it will "Get done when it gets done" and how you "Don't understand the difficulty, you ungrateful little hobo". They'll also say something about you being 12, no doubt.

This is obviously ATI's problem, but don't forget that it is also a game developer's responsibility to create compatibility. While you cannot demand anyone on the MB team to fix it, it isn't blasphemy to ask for it.

Starving said:
Was this just with this version or has it affected previous ones also?

It effects both .903 and .960 although I'd guess it may have progblems back to .808 or maby even older.

Well I got the problem solved for myself. I am an owner of Club3d 4850. No overclocking The culprit indeed seems to be ATI's drivers. With 8.9 I used to get the dreaded red body and missing tree trunks problem. Then after some digging I decided to give Catalyst 8.10 RC2 drivers a spin.

After the update to new drivers my graphical issues with mount and blade are gone. I even get M&B fps constantly capped at 100 now when before it used to hover around 70. Additionally, Crysis: Warhead seems to be somewhat smoother. Gothic 3 doesn't have the annoying texture flickering anymore and world seems richer (could be the absence of flickering though). EVE's sun flickering is gone aswell. What it doesn't fix is the stomach churning eye twisting depth of field misplacement effect after conversations in Witcher: EE.

So overall using the Catalyst 8.10 RC2 drivers did it for me.

Posting a link to the drivers (if it's not allowed any mod feel free to edit):
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=274850

Back
Top Bottom