Mount&Blade as a Multiplayer game- Ideas on implementation

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grocat

Sergeant Knight
Obviously, Mount&Blade is never going to be an online Multiplayer game.  Which is to a certain degree just fine, but on another level tragic.

If the game play of Mount&Blade were to be used effectively in an MMORPG, I sincerely believe that I would never have to purchase another game ever again.  So, my idea was to create a discussion on what specifically should go into this game to make it an effective cross between your standard Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game and the brilliant but simple Mount&Blade.

I've put this into Off-Topic in the hopes that nobody will be offended when they see the words Multiplayer, but I still think this is a very important idea to discuss.  I know of no other game with Mount&Blade's combat style, and believe this to be a tragic waste.

So, since I have a very limited and largely second hand knowledge of MMO's, I'd greatly appreciate everyone's insights on what needs to be done to make a Mount&Blade-like Multiplayer Game possible.  With the understanding that it would be Ikisoft in charge of production.

-Grocat the Affable Hope Machine

I'm sincerely interested.  I have no idea what would be done about this.  The more I've thought about it, the more I think that turning this game into Multiplayer would create the best game ever, without hyperbole.  Now, obviously it would have to be a different game.  As I've stated, we all know that Mount&Blade won't be multiplayer.  But if a second Mount&Blade ever does come out, which doesn't seem likely, I think it would be crucial to make it not just multiplayer but to actually develop a practical and intensive setting.  Which is mainly what I'm looking for here.  Ideas on the setting.

-Grocat the Abashed but Unshaken

Edit:  Actually, what I'm really looking for is idea on balance.  There would be way too many balance issues at the moment if this game, were it suddenly turned into a multiplayer game, for it to be practical.  So, for instance, how would the problem of battle size be solved.  People with huge armies and computers that allow them to fight all at once wouldn't be able to take advantage of that if they were playing against someone with a worse computer who could only play with battle size 27.  So how would that be reconciled?

Well I think what you say is true  :cry:
But if another one come out Like lets say a lobby system where players meet and the see who the want to fight 1vs1 or up to like 4 people.  Or something along those lines, I think that could work(maybe) in the future not any time soon mind you.  :grin:
Those are some good ideas Grocat!

What's wrong with the existing Multiplayer thread? :???:

Technical limitations aside, I think the real problem you'd face with an MMORPG version is giving a reason to keep playing, same with most MMORPG's. You need to figure out something suitably epic for high level/long time players to do which doesn't unbalance the game or turn off newbies.

Well at the current state there wouldn't be much appeal in keeping playing for many people. With the lack of missions etc.

I like the lobby idea.  But it would mean getting the best armor and weapons though single player. And that's as easy as Ctrl + X

Yeh but that means lobbies, which means servers, which means paying money. And I'm too cheap for that. Although for M&B...hmm.

Plus, i think you should be able to wager your items. and have Penalty duels, i.e for some one offensive has to duel the target if he loses all his items and money go to the victor and is temp-banned, if he wins he just gets fined and all his items get demoted down to rusty/equivalent

sound fair?

Will I would say it would have to be different from the singleplayer in the way the user gets armor and money.  Well with Lobby there would have to be a lot of work put into it, and how it works with different players(lv's and things).  But if anyone has played DOW online  it could be a system kind of like that.  :grin:

Just to let you guys know. Darkfall is similar in combat to M&B, but still has moves like "spin attack" or "dual shot" type, so isn't exactly the same. However they tried to emulate an M&B style combat (a lot of people on the Darkfall forums suggested M&B as a reference interestingly) but made for hundreds of people at once.

So there's an example of an MMORPG with M&B style combat... if it ever comes out :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom