Mount & Blade 2 announced!

Users who are viewing this thread

Corsair831 said:
this is just what i heard, but i heard it's going to be single player only and have only khergits :/ called 'MB2 - The Khergit Civil War' or something :/:/

LOL.

Xtrah said:
Outlawed said:
I wish we can get some news on this soon.
Third(ed)  :smile:

I'd also like to point out a personal preference of mine :

In multiplayer, don't add any of those character leveling/persistence BS elements which seem to spread like a plague in recent years (CoD , BF3, War of the Roses, cRPG, etc.) . I absolutely loathe them when dying every few minutes is part of the game (in siege mode anyway). I makes absolutely no sense at all and it dilutes the gaming experience like a scoop of ice cubes in a glass of cheap orange punch.

Warband's system of gaining funds when slaying the enemy (which could then be used to purchase new equipment when you respawned) was brilliant! Please keep that system as a foundation for M&B 2's multiplayer; and stay well clear of those gimmicky and incredibly grinding things that are "character leveling" and "persistence" in a game where you die so often, unless, of course, you make it so you lose any gained experience/equipment when you die.

I've seen too many games go down that road that I genuinely fear you may be tempted to follow the flock yourselves. I beg you not to :neutral:

I find persistent leveling hurts balancing and therefore hurts competitiveness. Warband's system is rather reminiscent of CS's- where you get so much money and purchase gear between rounds. I like the system.

Scully said:
Give us an option. Regular matches like in Warband. And then a multiplayer campaign map with persistant leveling and purchasable gear.

While this sounds awesome, I doubt they have the resources to pull something like this off.
I see the next game having a bunch of graphics tweaks, new more dynamic animations, better quests. I don't expect MP will change much.
I don't know, maybe Taleworlds can surprise us.

The Magnificent Bastard said:
War of the Roses is being developed by someone else I think?
Wait, is War of the Roses a new m&b game? D:

if u got any proof or hint of it's existence, i'd like to know.

Jenbu said:
The Magnificent Bastard said:
War of the Roses is being developed by someone else I think?
Wait, is War of the Roses a new m&b game? D:

if u got any proof or hint of it's existence, i'd like to know.
It's an in-development Paradox-published game. It isn't related to Taleworlds at all, just happens to have the same publisher and to be a medieval combat game.

I say take your time. I'd rather have an amazing game I can play for years instead of another Call of Duty where it's just released to please the very impatient people, making the game very under developed and terrible.

Outlawed said:
Scully said:
Give us an option. Regular matches like in Warband. And then a multiplayer campaign map with persistant leveling and purchasable gear.

While this sounds awesome, I doubt they have the resources to pull something like this off.
I see the next game having a bunch of graphics tweaks, new more dynamic animations, better quests. I don't expect MP will change much.

If cRPG mod can make a multiplayer campaign with just a few amateur guys working on it part time I think Taleworlds can... Taleworlds isn't just two people working in a garage anymore they have the pedigree of a hit game, dozens of full time workers and a publisher backing them.

Beelzebub said:
Outlawed said:
Scully said:

If cRPG mod can make a multiplayer campaign with just a few amateur guys working on it part time I think Taleworlds can... Taleworlds isn't just two people working in a garage anymore they have the pedigree of a hit game, dozens of full time workers and a publisher backing them.

This is the thing.
cRPG is sort of meh. Its so imbalanced, hard to actually enjoy the game without jumping straight to lvl 30.
Also, all cRPG has to worry about is importing a skill/items/user profile list from their servers. Its relatively stress free, especially when you do all the work externally. A Co-op/persistent MMO approach means you have to relay the whole lot of new features that an MMO needs to survive, like in-game guilds, pve, pvp, tournaments, global events...etc

The engine alone has troubles handling these kinds of things. They'd have to redesign EVERYTHING while focusing more on making the MMO approach work, as opposed to making what they already have better, more refined and more enjoyable, which is the priority, at least for me that is. They need to get Warband right first before they can jump up in their scales.

While its in an OKAY place in Native, Warband would benefit from some balancing. Not just in stats, I'm talking animations, mechanics, and things like archery.

Outlawed said:
This is the thing.
cRPG is sort of meh. Its so imbalanced, hard to actually enjoy the game without jumping straight to lvl 30.
Also, all cRPG has to worry about is importing a skill/items/user profile list from their servers. Its relatively stress free, especially when you do all the work externally. A Co-op/persistent MMO approach means you have to relay the whole lot of new features that an MMO needs to survive, like in-game guilds, pve, pvp, tournaments, global events...etc

The engine alone has troubles handling these kinds of things. They'd have to redesign EVERYTHING while focusing more on making the MMO approach work, as opposed to making what they already have better, more refined and more enjoyable, which is the priority, at least for me that is. They need to get Warband right first before they can jump up in their scales.

While its in an OKAY place in Native, Warband would benefit from some balancing. Not just in stats, I'm talking animations, mechanics, and things like archery.

Well that's why they are making M&B2. So the game is a polished piece of work from the beginning with a professional engine that can do animations and questing properly. M&B started super indy and with success added stuff like quests and conquering a kingdom in single player (they added a lot of it by hiring modders whos mods were way ahead of native, to replicate their work into native), the engine was also never even designed for multiplayer but due to popular demand they managed to create it (with great results!).

The current engine's limitations are very apparent even in single player where the AI is so easy to beat with bad target selection, rudimentry prediction abilities to defend itself and attack well. The questing and kingdom stuff is all pretty primative also, heavily scripted and could do with some better engine support. In Warband the weird animations and physics have really been exposed by players and a lot of wacky and unrealistic tricks are heavily used. Basically the ability of the team to improve this stuff in M&B must be severely limited at this point which is why an all new M&B2 engine is really needed.

I don't think they really need to make it into a full MMO, where everybody's avatar is in the same giant game online. What they can do is replacate cRPG's "Strategus" map where it's more of a clan campaign map that's basically a matchmaking system where victory rewards territory, and then there's a resource/economy system to add extra depth. "Strategus" is very ad-hoc and under-developed and could really use the resources of full, professional dev team, I think that system could really work in M&B2 as a competitive system for giant clans that want to conquer Caladria (with room for smaller clans to maneuever too).

Back
Top Bottom