Most Defendable Castles/Cities?

Users who are viewing this thread

Having played ~5k hours of mostly Floris and PoP, I'm curious about what experienced VC-R players feel are the most easily defended castles in this version of the game. While there are  no Grunwalders in VC-R, my guess is that cities like Tunsberg, with detached hilltop castles would be the best cities; while the ex-Roman sites would make the best castles.

But what is the truth?

There is some castles in the west coast of ireland with a most alien maze-like design and one in the north of scotland that are real death traps. As for cities witan caester has a tiny entrance without ladders.

Bebbanburh has got to be the easiest by far. Sit all your men on top of the hill, javalins everywhere. Scuin/Caer Magguaid are also quite easy to defend if you pull all your ranged units to the slight elevation behind the gates. Forts with the same design as Caer Senoint, send your men to the first set of walls and have your ranged units on the huge hill. Dun Breatann is also an easy one. There are actually quite a few.

I'm only adding to this because I recently conquered Din Arth (I think, castle on Southwestern tip of Wales) as Cornwall and then immediately repulsed a siege of 600+ guys with my 160.

The castle itself is on an island with the only entrance being a narrow bridge. No walls, nothing to stop thrown spears etc but form your men in a shieldwall right at the end of the bridge and the invaders can never bring their full weight to bear. If you start to take too much damage force yourself to one side and use a long spear or an axe or any ranged weapon to keep killing guys because the walls aren't in the way.

I'm pretty sure with 40 Teulu I could hold this place until hell freezes over.

Dun Breatann is impossible to take imo, love that town to bits. I've held it down against mega stacks with very few casualties. Hold fire and unleash when they get 100 yards out. They rarely make it to the walls and even when they do, its in shambles.

Bebbanburg isn't bad although not as awesome as I would have hoped after having read Saxon tales. Still good though.

I really like to have castles like Middlesburgh or the Irish forts with the single ladder down straight path although usually start with Ynys Manaw as my first castle due to location location location.

Back
Top Bottom