Morgh's M&B WB/WFAS Editor v1.50

Users who are viewing this thread

I wouldn't count on an update anymore.

The problem is, that I do not have the virtual machine installed which contains the necessary SDK (software development kit), and I did not do any change in the past four years. It seriously would take me some hours just to get into the code.

- Morgh

Last edited:
Ah, nice to see that you are still active! Looks also like you have lost your old account. I can ask Janus if he can assign your old posts to you if you want.

Depends on if you want to take the time or not. There is for sure some folks out there which would be happy about an update ^^

Have not been here for a long time. I was talking today at work about a software I wrote 11 years ago :smile: - it was the reason to look at the forum today :wink: - so, never say never.

The VM contains an old Windows XP Installation, completely ready. I did this in 2016, when I was not able to run Virtual XP Mode at Windows 10 anymore - seems that it was only released for Windows 7. I will see if I can get this to work and how much time it would take to get the flags updated. If they did not change the structure it shouldn't be too complicated... but... takes time, and I don't want to promise anything.

Yes, my old account has been "damaged" when I tried to assign my actual eMail address. I requested help in the past, and it also disappointed me, not to have access anymore to the first entry of this thread. Would be nice if my old account could be merged with this one. Thanks!

I also played Bannerlord for 150 hours in the past month. But I must say, it sucks that there is ALWAYS war - running a kingdom sucks. I was thinking about to make some changes there - that at least those lord stay imprisoned a bit longer, but did not have the mood to do it until now - hehe.

- Morgh

Have not been here for a long time. I was talking today at work about a software I wrote 11 years ago :smile: - it was the reason to look at the forum today :wink: - so, never say never.
Yeah, I was quite surprised to see you active here. Not that you know me, I came to this forum far later :lol:
The VM contains an old Windows XP Installation, completely ready. I did this in 2016, when I was not able to run Virtual XP Mode at Windows 10 anymore - seems that it was only released for Windows 7. I will see if I can get this to work and how much time it would take to get the flags updated. If they did not change the structure it shouldn't be too complicated... but... takes time, and I don't want to promise anything.
General structure is to my knowledge unchanged but I have no deep knowledge about the engine at this. I only work around at the surface, with the Module System.
Yes, my old account has been "damaged" when I tried to assign my actual eMail address. I requested help in the past, and it also disappointed me, not to have access anymore to the first entry of this thread. Would be nice if my old account could be merged with this one. Thanks!
I have send a request to Janus, it might take some time, depending on how busy he is otherwise and if posts of deleted accounts can be reassigned as easily as I think.
I also played Bannerlord for 150 hours in the past month. But I must say, it sucks that there is ALWAYS war - running a kingdom sucks. I was thinking about to make some changes there - that at least those lord stay imprisoned a bit longer, but did not have the mood to do it until now - hehe.
I will stick with Warband playing and modding for some more years, haven't touched Bannerlord yet at all. Running a kingdom is supposed to be a challenge though :lol:

Thanks for repairing my account.

About an update for the editor... It won't be going to happen. There are some reasons why:

- The virtual machine I used, contains a Windows XP which wants to be activated, but the Select license is no longer active
- The source code of v1.50 seems to be in that virtual machine, because I do not find a backup, and I have at least three backups of v1.40
- I don't want to invest the time anymore to do the stuff from 1.40 again, and I do not play Warband since years

So I am sorry, but it consumes simply too much time, so it seems, that v1.50 officially is the last version of my editor.

- Morgh

Hi, Morgh. There are ways to extract files (and mount them) from a virtual machine hard drive. Maybe publishing the source code (under any license you are comfortable with) is a good idea, for historic and archival reasons. It would also open the door to a continuation of some sort or new improvements. Always with attribution.

Your tool is very well known as a good modding start point for newcomers. I'm sure having all these details in the open is a good idea.

No need to clean up. Posting it as a zip file or making a Git repository somewhere should be enough.

Even if you post older versions, I'm sure people appreciate it.

Hi, Morgh. There are ways to extract files (and mount them) from a virtual machine hard drive. Maybe publishing the source code (under any license you are comfortable with) is a good idea, for historic and archival reasons. It would also open the door to a continuation of some sort or new improvements. Always with attribution.

Your tool is very well known as a good modding start point for newcomers. I'm sure having all these details in the open is a good idea.

No need to clean up. Posting it as a zip file or making a Git repository somewhere should be enough.

Even if you post older versions, I'm sure people appreciate it.

Yes I see, I added the Virtual Box vxd-image to the Win 10 machine through the disk management. But now I know v1.50 isn't there. Maybe I lost it, changing the computer in 2016. Who knows.

I am sorry, I am not going to share the source code. I know this will disappoint some people, but I seriously hope, people can accept and respect my decision.

i dont really accept it..
i dont see why is it so hard to share a source code of a software to improve it even more. Even more such software having the End-Of-Life flag and so no further updating will ever see the light.

Do you have an issue with licensing? You know you can publish your work with one that fits your needs. But denying the source code entirely seems a selfish move(or not a move, at all)

Nevermind then, you could give a try to WarBender (a similar software). It seems to be working with 1.174 and it's Open source.:

I understand that you see it that way, but in the end it doesn't matter if you can accept it or not, fortunately everyone can decide for himself what he does with his software. As Swyter writes: it was worth a try, now we should leave it at that and no, WarBender is not a similar software.

i dont really accept it..
i dont see why is it so hard to share a source code of a software to improve it even more. Even more such software having the End-Of-Life flag and so no further updating will ever see the light.

Do you have an issue with licensing? You know you can publish your work with one that fits your needs. But denying the source code entirely seems a selfish move(or not a move, at all)

Nevermind then, you could give a try to WarBender (a similar software). It seems to be working with 1.174 and it's Open source.:

Everyone is free to decide by him/herself what they are doing with their source code. It would have been interesting to take a look at it, yes, but I can also understand if he doesn't want to publish it. It's also not a selfish move, Morgh put hundreds of hours of his freetime into developing this tool, just so that others have it easier to develope their mod. You also doesn't seem to have made use of it anyway since you link WarBender which isn't really a similar software ^^

Well, you are right, it is not similar.. it is a savegame editor. But it did the job for me( in my case).

back to the main issue, I reckon Morgh's efforts put into the software. Unfortunately, I still don't accept the decision of not sharing in this specific scenario (the software has a EOL flag) .

It's almost like the whole purpose of putting hundred of hours in the software goes to waste, because as it is now it is obsolete for the latest warband version. Denying passing the legacy at no cost, to improve the product quality, that in the end it would benefit him since he is the sole owner of it, seems difficult to understand.

Anyway, I am not addressing the morals behind this issue, but the logics. Nor trying to persuade the author to change his mind (persuasion skill is low here :razz:).

Fortunately, there will always be an alternative that succeds over another.

If one were to try and edit a troop in a mod that used the garuantee polearm flag introduced in 1.74 would this editor show an error when trying to edit the troop? If not would it remove this flag when updating the troop? I know I could test this myself but I don't have python or the module system set up so I thought I might as well try asking just in case someone has already done this.
Question 2, not really related to this editor as such, but when tweaking a mod I found that troops that are equiped with lances always seem to also have a sidearm equipped. It seems that although equipping the lance is not guaranteed, if the lance is equipped then a sidearm is guaranteed to be equipped in addition. This does not happen with other polearms. I made a couple of new polearms by copying the lance item and then modifying it in Morgh's, it seems to work like the lances did. I'm not sure what flag is responsible for it, from what I can see in the editor I presume it is either the offset lance flag, the couchable flag or another flag which I can't see in Morgh's. I can't even remember if this is happens in Native.

Just downloaded this - looks great! Thank you for all the effort over the years.

Had a question about the Item Editor. If I want to change the Ammo count on something, can I do it so that it only affects MY items or will it affect the items of all the other soldiers / units as well?

If it does affect all, would I need to create a clone of the item I want to change and then somehow make it available only to me? To do so, do I set the Faction to 13 - fac_player_faction?

Thanks in advance!

If one were to try and edit a troop in a mod that used the garuantee polearm flag introduced in 1.74 would this editor show an error when trying to edit the troop? If not would it remove this flag when updating the troop? I know I could test this myself but I don't have python or the module system set up so I thought I might as well try asking just in case someone has already done this.
Question 2, not really related to this editor as such, but when tweaking a mod I found that troops that are equiped with lances always seem to also have a sidearm equipped. It seems that although equipping the lance is not guaranteed, if the lance is equipped then a sidearm is guaranteed to be equipped in addition. This does not happen with other polearms. I made a couple of new polearms by copying the lance item and then modifying it in Morgh's, it seems to work like the lances did. I'm not sure what flag is responsible for it, from what I can see in the editor I presume it is either the offset lance flag, the couchable flag or another flag which I can't see in Morgh's. I can't even remember if this is happens in Native.
Hello how can I reduce the screen width of the morgh editor? I can't search items because it doesn't fit in my screen

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows 10 says "This app can't run on your PC". Tried running it as Admin; but same error shows. Has Win 10 morphed so much that Morgh's editor is now incompatible? I've used Morgh's on prior rigs to tweak PoP, VC:R, and probably a half-dozen other Warband mods. Am I doing something wrong? Morgh, please saaaave me! ...fortunately, I've got old copies of items.txt and other files I tweaked for VC:R. Hope they still work.

i downloaded TLD through steam workshop and wanted to edit it using Morgh's. I followed this path D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\48700\299974223 but seems like its not working. or is there a different path for the said mod?

TLD is a weird amalgamation of a M&B 1.011 and Warband mod. So a bunch of files aren't compatible with text editors like Morgh's. If you want to make changes you can download the public module system from GitHub and rebuild it.
Ngl. Im not that advanced in my modding skills. I even just revisited this game after almost a 7 years from now. I rmmber that i was able to use morgh's during those times

TLD is a weird amalgamation of a M&B 1.011 and Warband mod. So a bunch of files aren't compatible with text editors like Morgh's. If you want to make changes you can download the public module system from GitHub and rebuild it.
im manually editing it now. question is how do we get the index numbers for items. im editing now the inventory of my troops. the thing is i dont know the codes for the items i want to be in my troop's inventory.

Back
Top Bottom