SP - General More ways to actively and passively train Soldiers

Users who are viewing this thread

What I'm suggesting is to implement several ways to actually train the soldiers in an army without sending them into actualy combat. This should take the shape of Town arenas passively training unwounded soldiers while the party is waiting in a town at a decent rate (that should be higher if said town is owned by the player), and fascilities, as well as personell, being available to be built and hired in fiefs that can also passively train soldiers while they're in the garisson or while staying there with the owner's pary at a slightly faster pace. Training fields, if there are going to be more than just one, should have the same or a similiar functionalities.

In addition to that, it should be possible to directly and actively train soldiers in all the aforementioned places by engaging in training combat and general sparring with them, (A few mods for Warband did this afair ) which should be the overall fastest way to train them. This sparring could range from 1v1 fights to simulated battles with everyone bringing sticks and training weapons, and may actually be a lot of fun if companions would start bragging about beating you in those training sessions (Which, quite honestly, they should also do whenever defeating you in a tournament).

EDIT: And yes, I know about the perks you can pick up to fascilitate passive minor EXP gain for soldiers.

Last edited:
In castles, there is a "training fields" improvement that adds passive xp to garrisoned troops, but I don't think it's working at the moment.

I am wrong, it does add xp, but an insanely small amount. A tier one unit needs 500+ xp to upgrade, where the training fields add 3 passive xp per day. That is over half a year to upgrade a tier 1 troop in a garrison with the training fields fully upgraded. Super underwhelming at the moment.

I agree that there should be a passive way to train soldiers and it should only be at cities or castles. And i think that your men should get more exp a standard battles and less from auto battles. As of now spamming looters is the best (only) way to level up your men. I fought a lords army of about 60 men and 4 or 5 of my men leveled up. Then i fought 30 looters with auto battle and 6 of my men leveled up. Thats not right

I am wrong, it does add xp, but an insanely small amount. A tier one unit needs 500+ xp to upgrade, where the training fields add 3 passive xp per day. That is over half a year to upgrade a tier 1 troop in a garrison with the training fields fully upgraded. Super underwhelming at the moment.
Bwaaaa... I didn't realize it was so meager -- I also thought it was borked.
I agree with the original post, some sort of active/passive training would help be more intentional with army make-up and size. If nothing else, I think troops garrisoned at a player-owned castle should get a much more substantial XP boost (or it should be possible to build that upgrade).
I don't know if I agree that just resting in a friendly village should do the same thing.

I agree that there should be a passive way to train soldiers and it should only be at cities or castles. And i think that your men should get more exp a standard battles and less from auto battles. As of now spamming looters is the best (only) way to level up your men. I fought a lords army of about 60 men and 4 or 5 of my men leveled up. Then i fought 30 looters with auto battle and 6 of my men leveled up. Thats not right
totally agree. It seems to discourage actually fighting, then when you are fighting actual tough units, you get 0 xp. I'm not sure what kind of gameplay they are going for here.

totally agree. It seems to discourage actually fighting, then when you are fighting actual tough units, you get 0 xp. I'm not sure what kind of gameplay they are going for here.

Totally agree with both of these. I remember in the original Mount and Blade I could just camp with my troops and get tons of passive XP to level them up. I tried upgrading my castle to give training points, but it's so negligible that I don't think it'll have any discernible effect. Now, I have to make it a point to attack every dang sizable looter group that comes in range.

A thing I loved in Warband was the ability to fight your troops, increasing your own experience, and the xp of some of the soldiers as well. I'd like to see that make a return in Bannerlord.

Absolutely agree. I would also really like if you could get some mid tier troops as quest rewards from time to time

What I'm suggesting is to implement several ways to actually train the soldiers in an army without sending them into actualy combat. This should take the shape of Town arenas passively training unwounded soldiers while the party is waiting in a town at a decent rate (that should be higher if said town is owned by the player), and fascilities, as well as personell, being available to be built and hired in fiefs that can also passively train soldiers while they're in the garisson or while staying there with the owner's pary at a slightly faster pace. Training fields, if there are going to be more than just one, should have the same or a similiar functionalities.

In addition to that, it should be possible to directly and actively train soldiers in all the aforementioned places by engaging in training combat and general sparring with them, (A few mods for Warband did this afair ) which should be the overall fastest way to train them. This sparring could range from 1v1 fights to simulated battles with everyone bringing sticks and training weapons, and may actually be a lot of fun if companions would start bragging about beating you in those training sessions (Which, quite honestly, they should also do whenever defeating you in a tournament).

EDIT: And yes, I know about the perks you can pick up to fascilitate passive minor EXP gain for soldiers.

Arent they being trained in the Castle when you stack em there along with the building ? Or its just militias, cant member it correctly after all tests... I mean you train em pretty fast on anyways on the field + if you have Leadership perk 1 along with decent medic you get em to T6 in no time. If we gonna get more training things then they def need to nerf the xp they need to lvl up since they damn get there in no time now. But sure i miss the old training grounds from Warband but that **** could take time to just for one lvl :smile:

Last edited:
+10

What would make it more immersive imo would be to have the player or a companion assigned to a training role. I realize that there is no such thing (yet, hopefully eventually), but I think it would make a good addition to the game. Although, the trainer and player would only be able to train in camp (also not in the game yet) and only player owned settlements, castles, and villages:

-Camps would have training areas which the size could be dependent on the player's engineering and/or steward skills

-Villages would have small training areas with limited slots but no more than 10, unless a dedicated training area could be established as an improvement for possibly 15 to 20 slots

-Castles would have no more than 25 slots depending on improvements

-Settlements would have no more than 50 slots, also depending on improvements

-Using the trainer companion would allow for a moderate xp boost, no more than 10-15% depending on relevant skills (not including perks)

-The player training the troops (simply for investing their time) would get a larger boost of 20-25% depending on relevant skills (not including perks)

-Passive training without player or trainer would have no more than 5%.

-Battles would give the greatest amount of xp, but the awarded xp should be based on the number of enemy soldiers killed as well as the tier. Higher tier = higher xp.

Of course, all of this would require Trainer as an additional skill slot and new improvements to villages/castles/settlements, not to mention the addition of a camp to the game the player could walk around like in settlements.

This is an excellent idea, and I think you're onto something regardless of what I have written above. Thank you for posting your idea, as you have inspired mine.

Back
Top Bottom