SP - Player, NPCs & Troops More T1 upgrade paths

Users who are viewing this thread

I think there should be several tree-changing upgrade-paths from a common recruit

Peasant and Recruit is a commer-tree on their own.

On the party-page after selecting a T1 regular recruit, there is currently a tab grid with only 1 tab. Instead one tab for each tree available(and maybe potential).

Only general merc- path is always open. IE all recruits(all cultures) can be turned into Watchmen.

EDIT: Add -> If the recruit shares your culture, they can be upgraded into the militia tree.

A low - level perk in Trade(30?) - tree opens cultural caravan-guards.

A semi-low perk in Rougery(60?) allows upgrading into associated bandit- tree

• Imperial Recruits can go to any bandit-tree.
  • Looters and Thugs(do they still exist?!) can go to any bandit-tree
  • EDIT: Someting to stop the Recruit->Bandit->Noble is needed....
Only as a member of a faction associated with the recruit (Mercenary or vassal), you can upgrade into regular path.
I understund if this is too much for some players but it would greatly immerse me :smile:

If you have a high relation(>50?) with minor factions associated to recruits culture, you can upgrade into those paths.

An expensive way into the associated noble path would be nice too. But exactly how that should work and be flavoured, I don't know. Beeing Vassal or ruler too probably, and involve gold and influence. There might be other solutions to this.

It could end up with alot of tabs so it needs some default-values and UI (re)organsization to not be plottery, I guess.

This would give the game alot of flavour and immersion I think. Introduce the player to all unit-trees and give a flavourfull way to try out different play-styles without having to fight/capture troops you want to use! :smile:

Last edited:
I like the basic premise of the suggestion. But I don't think it is possible to have more than 2 upgrade paths for a unit. At least I was not able to do that in the XML files. This would prevent the start from a basic unit.

I agree on the fact that you should have a good relation with a faction before you can recruit faction troops. (except force recruitment). Before that you have to rely on other troops.

personally I prefer merchants and gangleaders to give only watchmen/guards and gangleaders bandit/outlaws. The quality could be based on skill level in roguery/trade and personal relationship with notable.

EDIT: Someting to stop the Recruit->Bandit->Noble is needed....
100%, this is one of the most silly upgrade paths. I think this was needed to be able to get enough noble troops for the player, but I hope that after the next patch that wil increase noble recruits to villages linked to castles this can be solved.
If you have a high relation(>50?) with minor factions associated to recruits culture, you can upgrade into those paths.
This would be good. another way could be that you can hire minor factions troop as a conversation option wile talking to a minor faction lord.

But I don't think it is possible to have more than 2 upgrade paths for a unit. At least I was not able to do that in the XML files. This would prevent the start from a basic unit.
I know and this is the main feature-change I in the thread :smile:

Some GUI change to select a path and show available and potential paths within that tree. I have no idea how to fit in existing GUI though. I have made a try to mod the party-screen but in vain so far :smile:

I see no reason to outright add T1 troops for all different trees, the optimal is if they all derrive from recruits..
personally I prefer merchants and gangleaders to give only watchmen/guards and gangleaders bandit/outlaws. The quality could be based on skill level in roguery/trade and personal relationship with notable.
I can agree.. Considering they are weaker trees and limited upgrades.

another way could be that you can hire minor factions troop as a conversation option wile talking to a minor faction lord.
Yes, more recruitable troops on the map! Like Watchmen/mercs in the tavern.

Yeay! This restiction is gone now :smile:
yes I noticed:grin:, I am happily editing the XML files now.

Not sure how to make recruitment dependable on campaign conditions yet. I like you suggestions about the minor factions and roguery.

For now I am adding auxiliary recruits to curtain villages in the empire, but I am looking for a way to restrict these auxiliary units to the kingdom so they would not turn up in foreign armies.

But your approach by adding units to the regular troop tree would be nicer, but then you have to make the upgrade paths conditional for the AI.
This would also make it possible to diversify the N-,S- & W. empires troops a little

I have no experience with C# Have you any idea about how to do that?

With each update, I go to the sandbox core files and I add the possibility for the farmers to become a watchman. Besides, I added a shield to the watchman. Because he is Tier 2 ^^.
To turn the looters into another bandit unit, it's simple and without mod. On the other hand, the conditions with the minor clan, this requires a full-fledged mod.

For now I am adding auxiliary recruits to curtain villages in the empire, but I am looking for a way to restrict these auxiliary units to the kingdom so they would not turn up in foreign armies.

But your approach by adding units to the regular troop tree would be nicer, but then you have to make the upgrade paths conditional for the AI.
This would also make it possible to diversify the N-,S- & W. empires troops a little

I have no experience with C# Have you any idea about how to do that?
I have not had any time look into this in detail since I read the patchnote.

I do have C# experience but not yet got myself into it since I destroyed the party-screen in an attemt to enable this 5 months ago. I don't think it would be very hard to manage these conditions though :smile: I´ll give it a try!

@niekdegrijze it is hard to diverifying regulars, noble, minor-faction and militia troops in a non-hardcoded way as all of them have Occupation = Soldier. (Currently I need to lookup the individual names of the troops to identify them sadly) Mercs, traders and bandits were alot easier.

I hope to have a version before the end of this week. :smile:

@niekdegrijze it is hard to diverifying regulars, noble, minor-faction and militia troops in a non-hardcoded way as all of them have Occupation = Soldier. (Currently I need to lookup the individual names of the troops to identify them sadly) Mercs, traders and bandits were alot easier.

I hope to have a version before the end of this week. :smile:
I'm looking forward to it. I just had visual studio installed, but I am very lost. Have to start watching some tutorials en try some minor things.
At the moment I find modding the xml files almost as fun as playing the game:grin:.

Do you have a mod on nexus that I can use as an example?

Do you have a mod on nexus that I can use as an example?

No, sadly not. Though I work as a developer(including but not exlusive C#), I found the step into TW code quite big. Normally I am changing or building new code, not overriding existing :smile: This project though is very isolated and limited to one single class and XML only.

Back
Top Bottom