More realistic towns/villages and townsfolk/villagers

Users who are viewing this thread

Right now the towns and people in them are pretty simple and basic, even useless.  Nothing that could not already be done from a simple button to click on the town painting/intro screen of options for a random NPC folk to answer rudimentary questions where almost all answers are the exact same from one person to the next in the same village and in most instances, any where.  Even the way they roam mindlessly around town as if they have no soul is pretty obvious.

They walk to the outer edges of the town for no reason, do a quick 180 and walk back.  Some bump into walls or walk up steps only to walk back down them.  They do not try to flee or get out of the way when you come charging down the street riding a horse.  In fact they some how make you come to a dead stop always.  You can not draw your sword on them and they do not run in panic or try grab their own weapons and you cannot even attack them directly at first, you have to attack the village placement on the map itself.

I would like to see women gossiping, doing laundry and sweeping their steps.  Children playing or doing chores (if ever added).  Men fishing, hunting, chopping wood, farming, etc.  In the castle towns I want people bartering, arguing, playing games, etc.  I want to see people walking with something meaningful in their hands, such as the mother with the large head of cabbage for tonight's supper, while the father brings the firewood.  I just want something meaningful regarding NPCs in game.

They already have beautiful towns and the NPC place holders, but nothing substantial.  It makes one not even want to travel into these towns that the devs DID a lot of work to make them look great.  I think most of us travel their simply to talk to the elder.  And mods that let us even skip that, we do.  But if the towns felt more alive I think, I know I would at least, travel to them more often and enjoy the sites and hospitality or lack there of.  It would be great if an NPC tried to initiate an actual conversation with you, or those who respect you to curtsy or bow, wave even at least.  And those who hate or who are afraid of you would run from you, cower in the corner, offer you meaningless gifts or even try to attack you if you are in the wrong town.  Something!

By saying right now are you refering to warband ?

Because we havent been seeing any townspeople gameplay for uhmmm 2 years ?

All we saw was just screenshots and dont know you guys but I was mostly impressed.
From the screenshots we could see people trading with merchants, doing their daily stuff and all.

I mean am I missing a gameplay video that Taleworlds posted in the last 2 years regarding to citizens/farmers ?
Because the only thing that is 100% lacking in your criticizm is the children other than that I am pretty much sure carrying goods, gossiping, fishing, wood cutting stuff is already in the game.

I am speaking from the original and Warband and the half dozen of mods I have tried.  Since Bannerlords is not out yet, I could not of tried that.

Mount_and_Ride ^_^ said:
Well that, as I already stated in my opening remarks, really is not saying much.

What are you on about?

You want more dynamic NPC's, Bannerlord has promised more dynamic NPC's.

Edit: I think that's what you want, anyway. You really, really need to structure your main post. It's painful to read.

Personally, the most important thing about towns for me is that they shouldn't take long to load (like in VC where it takes town menus several seconds to do that).
Everything else is secondary.

Mithril♡Souls said:
Mount_and_Ride ^_^ said:
Well that, as I already stated in my opening remarks, really is not saying much.

What are you on about?

Edit: I think that's what you want, anyway. You really, really need to structure your main post. It's painful to read.

He wants what we all want,  a release date

So you're just nitpicking the AI in Warband, which was developed by even a smaller dev team compared to Bannerlord, so you can complain about the state of towns and villages? Give me a break.

Gibbylimmer said:
So you're just nitpicking the AI in Warband, which was developed by even a smaller dev team compared to Bannerlord, so you can complain about the state of towns and villages? Give me a break.

Nit picking?  No.  If I was nit picking I would be saying the girl's dress should be a different color or the guy should have a pipe in his mouth.  What I am speaking of is having NPCs that actually have a soul and are fun and realistic to interact with.

Mithril♡Souls said:
Mount_and_Ride ^_^ said:

What are you on about?

It is what it is.  I try to explain it as best as possible so people are not confused as much as opposed to just putting one or two unintelligent or vague sentences and calling it a day.  What are you on about?  Game devs say things all the time and people still make posts talking, suggesting and giving feed back.

Mount_and_Ride ^_^ said:
Gibbylimmer said:

Nit picking?  No.  If I was nit picking I would be saying the girl's dress should be a different color or the guy should have a pipe in his mouth.  What I am speaking of is having NPCs that actually have a soul and are fun and realistic to interact with.

Mithril♡Souls said:
Mount_and_Ride ^_^ said:

What are you on about?

It is what it is.  I try to explain it as best as possible so people are not confused as much as opposed to just putting one or two unintelligent or vague sentences and calling it a day.  What are you on about?  Game devs say things all the time and people still make posts talking, suggesting and giving feed back.

It's okay. Anyway idk, would fully simulated villager life really add to your gameplay? Your immersion? What happens behind a curtain doesn't really matter. Villages are just suppose to stimulate the economy of warband. You shouldn't be spending too much time in them anyway. If this were Skyrim, I'd 100% back you up, but this is just an emulation of a medieval atmosphere.

As for towns, they are already working on crime and stuff. So I'm sure they aren't going to run their NPCs on abunch of if statements. :lol:
If hit wall, turn right.

With mods anything is possible, but I'd say that there are more important things on the itinerary for the developers to worry about.

Leonion said:
Personally, the most important thing about towns for me is that they shouldn't take long to load (like in VC where it takes town menus several seconds to do that).
Everything else is secondary.
thats an option you can turn off.

I'm just hoping for a few more optional lines of dialog from townsfolk and merchants.  It gets a bit tedious getting "......the same old thing" line from every last vendor every time, except if there's a tournament in town.  Maybe they could give rumors about problems in other towns, or ".....no word from the villagers in...X....for the past week or so", and other current or recent events and situations.

Honved said:
I'm just hoping for a few more optional lines of dialog from townsfolk and merchants.  It gets a bit tedious getting "......the same old thing" line from every last vendor every time, except if there's a tournament in town.  Maybe they could give rumors about problems in other towns, or ".....no word from the villagers in...X....for the past week or so", and other current or recent events and situations.

It's the villagers that should give quests.... And the rewards should vary. Like if they ask for a sword or new tunic, they might join ur party as a companion. If they ask you to save someone and/or destroy bandits, or any other trivial task, then they should give you a reasonable amount of what ever that village produces.

I don't see why people seem so against this, I think a little variation would be nice. It doesn't have to be like other RPGs where every single villager has a set routine and whatnot, just the villagers being more active in general.

NPC99 said:
I'm perfectly happy with the town scene they've shown us.

https://goo.gl/5n42Kg
Even in that video you see some people just standing around, especially in the market place. It'd be nice if some of them would sit down and have a drink, or pull out a broom and start sweeping. Things like that would make the towns more alive.

Johan_Stormcloak said:
I don't see why people seem so against this, I think a little variation would be nice. It doesn't have to be like other RPGs where every single villager has a set routine and whatnot, just the villagers being more active in general.

NPC99 said:
I'm perfectly happy with the town scene they've shown us.

https://goo.gl/5n42Kg
Even in that video you see some people just standing around, especially in the market place. It'd be nice if some of them would sit down and have a drink, or pull out a broom and start sweeping. Things like that would make the towns more alive.

Towns people were sitting down &  drinking in a tavern just before the frame that started showing the streets. Most of the people standing around in the market place are sellers or customers. Remember the video was from March 2016 - hopefully more variation has been added since then.

Johan_Stormcloak said:

Imo, it's a waste of developers' time and money. Low effect, high efforts Pareto-wise.

M&B is not Gothic 1/2. I loved all those daily routines in Gothic 2, and it was my favorite part to work on when I was making a mod, but in Gothic there are only a few settlements where you spend a lot of time and it's a high-atmospheric RPG where minor details like that are very important.

M&B is a low-atmospheric RPG. It's not a game where you just stop at the harbor and watch mesmerized at the sea and the night sky. It's not a game where you just like walking around the streets watching paladins training, citizens talking/sweeping/cooking/hammering, people coming to a tavern in the evening, returning home by the nighttime, going to work in the morning etc.
It's a game where "talk to guildmaster" menu option was on the most liked mod changes because players are usually really not into wasting they time wandering around the streets when there are more interesting things to do like battles and conquests. There are shortcut menu options for an arena, for a tavern, for merchants because unlike in Gothic 2, where visits are usually personal (quests), in M&B they're routine and boring (arriving at a town => selling loot => selling prisoners => leaving town).
If the devs waste their time on the advanced routines, many players will at best notice them once. Like "Yeah, finally I'm playing BL. Let's see what they changed! Oh, a town, let's a take a look. Oh, nice, they're so lively now. Yeah..." and then (if there are shortcuts to all important scenes and NPCs) will never visit the streets again.

Leonion said:
Imo, it's a waste of developers' time and money. Low effect, high efforts Pareto-wise.

M&B is not Gothic 1/2. I loved all those daily routines in Gothic 2, and it was my favorite part to work on when I was making a mod, but in Gothic there are only a few settlements where you spend a lot of time and it's a high-atmospheric RPG where minor details like that are very important.
+1
while it would be nice, its not worth it. All i want is a bit of variation in taverns and the streets, but you never spend enough time in a town to watch a daily routine, and you cant even interact with average citizens (maybe in BL you can) and they always change so why does it matter? Even if you can do things like murder random civilians, which may be a possibility based on a blog post but i wouldnt count on it, what would it really matter?

The fact that the only way i could justify this is by assuming features exist in BL that have never even been mentioned before says a lot. And even then, i still dont think its worth a bother. However, i would like to hear what devs have planned for more interaction in villages, because i believe the last we saw of them was back in the PC Gamer Weekend broadcasts. Well, thats the last we saw of any single player gameplay lol

Leonion said:
It's a game where "talk to guildmaster" menu option was on the most liked mod changes because players are usually really not into wasting they time wandering around the streets when there are more interesting things to do like battles and conquests. There are shortcut menu options for an arena, for a tavern, for merchants because unlike in Gothic 2, where visits are usually personal (quests), in M&B they're routine and boring (arriving at a town => selling loot => selling prisoners => leaving town).
If the devs waste their time on the advanced routines, many players will at best notice them once. Like "Yeah, finally I'm playing BL. Let's see what they changed! Oh, a town, let's a take a look. Oh, nice, they're so lively now. Yeah..." and then (if there are shortcuts to all important scenes and NPCs) will never visit the streets again.
The reason why the shortcuts were so popular was that after about the first hour or two of play, you realized that there was NOTHING to do in the town besides access the merchants, the guild master, or the tavern.  Talking to the peasants was utterly pointless: they provided no useful information, gave no quests, and had no MEANINGFUL interaction with the player.  If there was a valid reason to actually go into the towns and villages and talk to the peasants, it wouldn't have been such a waste of good scenery, aside from the occasional ambushes after dark or driving out bandits.

Back
Top Bottom