Mordhau is released, bl getting outdated every passing day...

Users who are viewing this thread

OurGloriousLeader said:
Huggles said:
Held blocks are pretty problematic when it comes to melee games. It means a duel could last a crazy long time before you get a hit

I think this problem goes both ways, without freer blocking then the meta very quickly becomes: make your attack timing as off putting as possible. Warband meta became very fast paced, throwing as many attacks out as you could in multiple directions to confuse block direction and timing. Since Mordhau has no block directions, it's just about tricking your opponent into blocking too early, at which point they're screwed.

Of course there's more but that seems broadly the current styles of the two games and both have their pros and cons. Warband for me is much more reactive and allows more freedom, Mordhau is more about animations and creating an eccentric style. I think it's well made but its not for me and I think it definitely wont translate into team or group fight mechanics which is something M&B just excels at in the melee genre.

Also Mordhau bizarrely has health regen so duels can take a long time there too.

There is nothing wrong with blocking. Mordhau has a parry instead of block on 2 Hand weapons and a hold-block on certain shields with the inclusion of different parry shields. You are correct on the creative part. Mordhau fights a lot more like a fighting game, you can do certain combos, morph and feints behave differently. To really grasp the game you really have to play it. Parry is ok for Mordhau but you can also chamber 10 times easier than you can on Warband. After chambering there's a plethora of tricks and not just attack. Health regen takes a lot of time to kick in, duels are not ruined by it. Duels can take the same time as they do in warband, variable death timer on 1-4 hits depending where you hit, unlike warband that has many more factors on damage like speed and footwork. Mordhau has flat damage on armor parts/flesh. It's a great game initially, but I still prefer warband.

Huggles said:
KucukEniste said:
This reminded me another game, Of Kings and Men. Which has better combat than bannerlord . Attacks from 8 directions and Co op. This game gonna destroy bannerlord they said. Bannerlord will lost competition they said.

And less than 1 year i forgetten that game.

Of kings and men straight up lied about their product and never really released close to a fully realized vision of their game. It was dying like the day it "released."

No they didn't. That's just jumping on the bandwagon of the angry internet looking for someone to be angry at. All the crap about it being a scam doesn't stand up to any scrutiny, it's just wilfully blind spite from people who want someone to blame. Where's the money? The devs didn't have enough money from crowdfunding to make the game, which is why they made a deal with financial backers, who gave reassurances about the creative freedom and control over the game that they later reneged on (according to developer Donkey Crew). You can doggedly maintain that Donkey Crew are lying about that, but then we come back to the inescapable flaw in the "scam" or "they lied" argument: where's the money? If they lied, they must have done it for financial gain, but there has not been- and never had the potential to be- a significant income from pretending to make a game for years on end, a game that only had a modest following in the first place. It just doesn't add up. The worst accusation one could reasonably level at Donkey Crew is that they bit off more than they could chew, but all such projects are a gamble. Even with a track record of successful releases and capital from those releases, established games companies sometimes struggle and fail to deliver a game that they hoped to release, so it is no mystery or reason for suspicion that a new developer would come a cropper. They can only try and get the funding that they need to work on the game. Crowdfunding didn't do that, and the only other option that came their way backfired on them.

Huggles said:
KucukEniste said:
This reminded me another game, Of Kings and Men. Which has better combat than bannerlord . Attacks from 8 directions and Co op. This game gonna destroy bannerlord they said. Bannerlord will lost competition they said.

Of kings and men straight up lied about their product and never really released close to a fully realized vision of their game. It was dying like the day it "released."

Mordhau is exploding rn playerbase wise.

Bannerlord seems like it's in development hell rn.

1.Of kings and men devs tried to make a bannerlord alternative before Taleworlds releasing bannerlord. And they failed but i don't think they lied to customers.They just learned making a popular mod doesn't mean you can develop a game.

2.Mordhau is just Chivalry with better graphics (and without crouch/spinning attack  ****) with streamers and being on the front page of the steam it got popular. After six months it will be put in a bag with Chivalry and War of the Roses.(Im really enjoying mordhau  but its just a snack to chew while waiting for Bannerlord)

3.I agree we waited too much for bannerlord but i wouldn't call it a development hell. Developing a game takes years (Look at anthem it took 8 years to make and it still needs a few years) and they are not the best  at the project management.But playable sp build at the 2018 gamescom and closed beta in this year shows its not gonna be Duke Nukem Forever.

Huggles said:

For about 3 or 4 months at most, when the fad dies down the players will flock to the next fad bs "battle royale" or whatever game, like this sort of players always do, and the game will be forgotten.

Come 10 years after release I'll still be playing Bannerlord, just like almost 10 years after it's release I still play Warband

I've played Mordhau.  It's about as much of a threat to mount and blade as cRPG was.  I don't see it as any comparison to bannerlord.

Not sure how long DM matches on 6 different maps can hold your interest, but if that is what scratches your itch so easily I envy you.  I require a much deeper experience, and are harder to amuse.

KucukEniste said:
Huggles said:
KucukEniste said:

1.Of kings and men devs tried to make a bannerlord alternative before Taleworlds releasing bannerlord. And they failed but i don't think they lied to customers.They just learned making a popular mod doesn't mean you can develop a game.

2.Mordhau is just Chivalry with better graphics (and without crouch/spinning attack  ****) with streamers and being on the front page of the steam it got popular. After six months it will be put in a bag with Chivalry and War of the Roses.(Im really enjoying mordhau  but its just a snack to chew while waiting for Bannerlord)

3.I agree we waited too much for bannerlord but i wouldn't call it a development hell. Developing a game takes years (Look at anthem it took 8 years to make and it still needs a few years) and they are not the best  at the project management.But playable sp build at the 2018 gamescom and closed beta in this year shows its not gonna be Duke Nukem Forever.

Chiv is still alive and has been for a while. I think it has very similar concurrent players to warband multi if not more. Mordhau has surpassed chiv's peak already by a lot.

You're right in that it is possible the traction will slow down, but seems to me the game is doing everything right atm.

When I say OKAM lied I mean more that they did not deliver what they promised even as a concept.

Huggles said:
KucukEniste said:
Huggles said:
KucukEniste said:

Chiv is still alive and has been for a while. I think it has very similar concurrent players to warband multi if not more. Mordhau has surpassed chiv's peak already by a lot.

You're right in that it is possible the traction will slow down, but seems to me the game is doing everything right atm.

When I say OKAM lied I mean more that they did not deliver what they promised even as a concept.

Well of course Mordhau will have more players Chivalry ever had.Because in the last few years sword fighting games (Im sure there is a better word for it) got popular. So player count is not suprising.

And Warband released at 2011 which is a standalone expansion for original M&B made in 2004 (That was early access before EA was a thing) has 7000 players at average.(For honor 2017 game has 5000 players and there was a giveaway a few month ago)

Im not trying to bash multiplayer only games im just saying this topic Mordhau is released, bl getting outdated every passing day... is wrong. They can't even outdated warband how are gonna destroy bannerlord GRAPHICS?  sure frostbite lovers wont buy it GAMEPLAY? Without directional blocking and amazing singleplayer no they can't.

Only thing that will hurt bannerlord is:

Imposible expectations of player base because they waited too much of their liking.

Or microtransactions  **** microtransactions.

Mordhau has the bots and the combat ready, they jusst need to hire a coder to code a story and open world and bannerlord will be DESTROYed

nox said:
I've played Mordhau.  It's about as much of a threat to mount and blade as cRPG was.  I don't see it as any comparison to bannerlord.

Not sure how long DM matches on 6 different maps can hold your interest, but if that is what scratches your itch so easily I envy you.  I require a much deeper experience, and are harder to amuse.

Your playing to improve you skills and git gud, not to ****ing explore an open world sandbox.

Rules said:
No Spam
Spam clogs up the forum, makes relevant and accurate information harder to find and causes the forum to slow down for everybody. The definition of ‘spam’ includes, but is not limited to, the following actions:
  • Multi-posting — if you need to add something, and yours was the last post in the thread, edit your last post instead of adding a new one

Orion said:
Some people like exploring, and other aspects of gameplay beyond the combat mechanics. In M&B SP, the combat is a means to an end.
Second that. I love the combat, but not mere combat for the sake of combat.
Well, sometimes, but not as a general rule.

That's why I could never play Chivalry more than a few hours for a couple of days, uninstall and reinstall it some 14 months later. Especially with damn multiplayer-only combat games.

And, most importantly, Try competing against 400ms ping.

monoolho said:
Orion said:
Some people like exploring, and other aspects of gameplay beyond the combat mechanics. In M&B SP, the combat is a means to an end.
Second that. I love the combat, but not mere combat for the sake of combat.
Well, sometimes, but not as a general rule.

That's why I could never play Chivalry more than a few hours for a couple of days, uninstall and reinstall it some 14 months later. Especially with damn multiplayer-only combat games.

And, most importantly, Try competing against 400ms ping.

yeah, as I've said back when Mordhau was first announced: This game could kill off bannerlord if it had SP, without the depth of SP it's just another generic MP game. Considering they've never had such ambition, to make it into a decent SP game, the "threat" was never there, although I do share OPs anger towards BL development time, and that's mostly what this topic is: a rant about the ridiculous amount of development time for Bannerlord.
To make things worse there are all the other nuances everybody already complained about a thousand times over: Dev Blogs, lack of information, lack of care, fear for cut content, actual development hell rehashes (that happened over and over and over again), unfulfilled unofficial release predictions, lack of deadline, and finally: Expecting us to cheer about them showing some gameplay in Gamescom for almost a decade with nothing for the consumer, not even an ETA...

Realistically, I'd tell people to shove gamescom up their youknowwhat without a blink, I do not care for these events nor do I care for what is shown in them, I play games to play games, I do not watch people playing games, I do not watch games being presented... I'm the kind of gamer that can't be "hyped" no matter what, because I'm very well armored from hype trains and all that zombie-appealing marketing show most things put up. This is so much true to me that I've been actively boycotting multiple developers for over 6 years, and I don't miss it. I've not purchased a single video game in 5 years, not one. And the last few I did buy were bought long after release and under sales discounts. So in all honesty, I'm sort of an "Hedonist" regarding entertainment. I do it when I feel like it, but if I'm pssed off enough at something, I just turn my back and don't look back. Been waiting for BL because I've used to believe it would likely be my last game purchase, and tbh, I'm not so sure of that at this point.
Marketing is just a lie to sell stuff, nothing more, so anything "marketing" related equals nothing to me, meaning that so far, BL is nothing but smoke... I don't even believe it'll be released before I grow tired of gaming tbh (which would translate in me refusing to spend money on any game ever again), I am not a typical gamer that loves gaming like it's the best thing ever. I do prefer TV shows, books, and Films over games anytime, so I idk, the "delay" makes me mad because I was feeling like playing this thing yesterday, not tomorrow. Anyway, that's me, and this is my point of view over the whole shbang, so yeah, nobody can "change my mind" or "disagree" with me on this, that's how I am hahaha On the other hand though, I do find it entertaining to make appearances over here, kill some time by reading some devblogs, discussing the smoke and etc. It's very much like going out with random acquaintances to a bar and talk about meaningless random stuff, that's why I linger, but other than that, no reason at all. And tbh, most of the time I'm here out of boredom rather than desire  :lol:

Now, can we agree to quit trying to create illusory notions about stuff and just admit things for what they are!? I mean, the OP just tried to convince everyone that Mordhau will destroy Bannerlord "boohoo bannerlord will suck now!". No mate, just NO  :lol: Bannerlord will be fine, TW will be fine, everyone capitalizing on games are going to be fine, even if all games straight out suck, even if you alone decides to boycott them. And that's the blunt truth. OP, you're just mad, so admit the reason why and quit trying to create elaborate explanations, that just doesn't make sense.  :iamamoron:

Let's just hope the game is good and it releases before I quit buying new video games for whatever reason

Seeing the gameplay, I'm not even sure that Mordhau combat would work in SP that would be similar to M&B series. I don't doubt they may eventually add a version that pits player (or players in co-op) against groups of enemies in 'reach the point' type of thing, especially that it could be used to award more cosmetic items.

Looking at the past, scratching the same itches as M&B wasn't an easy affair and judging how long its sandbox campaign 'should' be developed is hard. It's not like no one tried to copy or one-up Warband, the multiplayer mode was popular enough to grant shorter or longer lives to standalone games created in similar vein. But as far as singleplayer goes, the most I saw was some kind of hybrid RTSs that weren't really working all that well. Freeman is interesting jab at, let's say, M&B genre, but due to it being set in modern era it's more of a curiosity and supplement than direct competition (and, as it is in EA, it was interesting - as cruel as it sounds - to watch devs struggle similarly to TW, eventually having to rewrite the game completely couple of months ago).

Do not look here said:
Seeing the gameplay, I'm not even sure that Mordhau combat would work in SP that would be similar to M&B series. I don't doubt they may eventually add a version that pits player (or players in co-op) against groups of enemies in 'reach the point' type of thing, especially that it could be used to award more cosmetic items.

Looking at the past, scratching the same itches as M&B wasn't an easy affair and judging how long its sandbox campaign 'should' be developed is hard. It's not like no one tried to copy or one-up Warband, the multiplayer mode was popular enough to grant shorter or longer lives to standalone games created in similar vein. But as far as singleplayer goes, the most I saw was some kind of hybrid RTSs that weren't really working all that well. Freeman is interesting jab at, let's say, M&B genre, but due to it being set in modern era it's more of a curiosity and supplement than direct competition (and, as it is in EA, it was interesting - as cruel as it sounds - to watch devs struggle similarly to TW, eventually having to rewrite the game completely couple of months ago).

Mordhau already has a horde mode that can be played solo or co-op and is like Warband fights. Enemies will come towards you, throwing sh*t at you etc. Its exactly like playing MnB with better graphics. but NPCs are brutal, you cant really win them easily like in MnB. They will kick you, drag, feint, throw turds at you (not even joking). It was announced today that Mordhau sold 500k copies already in 7 days with minimal marketing and mod tools are on the way. I would kill to see Mordhau with a persistent kingdoms mod or Pendor.

578 said:
Do not look here said:

Mordhau already has a horde mode that can be played solo or co-op and is like Warband fights. Enemies will come towards you, throwing sh*t at you etc. Its exactly like playing MnB with better graphics. but NPCs are brutal, you cant really win them easily like in MnB. They will kick you, drag, feint, throw turds at you (not even joking). It was announced today that Mordhau sold 500k copies already in 7 days with minimal marketing and mod tools are on the way. I would kill to see Mordhau with a persistent kingdoms mod or Pendor.
(no sarcasm) Could Pendor even be any good without the RPG elements!?

I don't think you can compare Mordhau and Bannerlord as a whole because both are trying to do different things with different scopes, to the effect that one won't be able to kill the other.

With that being said, Mordhau does a great job at making combat feel heavy and visceral, and hopefully Bannerlord will be able to learn a few things from it. A full gore system would probably be too much to ask for at this point in development, but things like a small screen shake on heavy hits, more responsive ragdolls, effects like sparks as swords clash and grittier audio all seem doable.

Breezy Tee said:
578 said:
Do not look here said:

(no sarcasm) Could Pendor even be any good without the RPG elements!?

Thats what modding tools are for :razz:

Different games; it's like comparing wheelcarts to sharks. Doesn't work.

About mordhau and little marketing: that's a lie. They made very intelligent use of streamers/youtubers. Just like pubg did. Spending hundreds of thousands on marketing doesn't quite work anymore. Better to throw some free content to pewds and resonant and you got yourself much better marketing than MARKETING LOGISTICS INC. could ever bring you.

monoolho said:
Different games; it's like comparing wheelcarts to sharks. Doesn't work.

About mordhau and little marketing: that's a lie. They made very intelligent use of streamers/youtubers. Just like pubg did. Spending hundreds of thousands on marketing doesn't quite work anymore. Better to throw some free content to pewds and resonant and you got yourself much better marketing than MARKETING LOGISTICS INC. could ever bring you.

R.i.p. Madmen

Back
Top Bottom