monoolho's Animation Submod [not so BETA anymore]

Users who are viewing this thread

Okay, I'll make it simple: LATEST VERSION: v42-2 (updated 5th of Aug, 2016 (l'Âout 5eme, 2016)

Recently added in 08/07/2017 (dd/mm/yyyy, you unnatural anglophones) the Viking Conquest mod V-1.0

Okay, so here's a video. Because mono's cool and doesn afraid of nothing.

I "stole" animations from various animations mods, mostly from warband nexus. I DID NOT MAKE ANY OF THESE, they are awesome and I LOVE THEM, so I make this more as a homage to the authors for everyone's entertainment. I have asked permissions to most of the authors and I have received no answer as I believe most of them have long lost their accounts or gave up on warband, or even died, which is sad, but true.

I OWE MY EVERLASTING GRATITUDE TO THE MAKERS, I'll look them up and post due credits here soon.
IF YOU'RE THE AUTHOR AND THIS WORK OFFENDS YOUR INTELECTUAL PROPERTY, PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I WILL SHUT IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY.

Since I'm doing this in sort of a rush, I'll keep it simpler:
I took the animations from various mods and I added them to the game actions.
This includes: Sword, Spear, Bow, Shield, running, jumping, standing and death animations, maybe smething else. ALL CHARACTERS will use them, not only the player.

It will change gameplay a bit; if you use manual defend direction, IT WILL MAKE THE GAME A LOT HARDER, it'll be like re-learning M&B. Trust me on that one.

This adds to immersion and variety in the heat of battle, not only for the environment, but for you, given the right circumstances and the right set of animations playing, and you'll feel like a goddamn genius warrior, and you may feel like you're fighting one, sometimes...

I want some feedback so I can polish it and make it less awkward, but for me, it already is at a very acceptable level.
SCREENSHOTS:
AFC98F5A3F9AC282B0EB1E169149B0710F05A9B3

26AE58AE63F2BFC42D9786D4369DE8D273617936

330C5CC3833D19A2E36733CAF8D9C1D8654D36C2

F4D7231A58333535C6835DC3E5AE34AFE241A892

DFBFFC3BA85A8F8DB4589F3E4A6F3A0D5BE9D298

7D0CEDA6BFB113443F18B3D759769AD27D41D1E4

54247AD165F73456BF961343EDAAF271C212230E

6619AE2ACDD94F782CA6F9B16893D1C55B9F5EBE

INSTALLATION:

1)Go to your 1257Ad module folder and BACK UP YOUR ACTIONS.TXT.
2)Back up your actions.txt AGAIN in another folder, in case something goes really wrong.
3)If you're really unsafe about your game, you can also back up  your Resources folder, just in case.
4)Extract the contents of the folder inside monoolhos-1257ad-anim-submod.rar into your 1257ad folder, and if it asks you to overwrite, do it.
5) Insert this into your module.ini
INSERT THIS INTO YOUR MODULE.INI FILE (anywhere, really, but better place it near the end of the load_mod_resources)

#### Neat Animations ####
load_mod_resource = monoanim_psiphoon
load_mod_resource = monoanim_actions_mod
load_mod_resource = monoanim_jacobhinds_animations_gekokujo
load_mod_resource = monoanim_skeletons1
load_mod_resource = monoanim_skeletons
load_mod_resource = monoanim_skeletons_2h
load_mod_resource = monoanim_new_animations
load_mod_resource = monoanim_custom_animations_1776
load_mod_resource = monoanim_1257_ani
load_mod_resource = monoanim_ani_crouch_down
load_mod_resource = monoanim_ani_low_walk
load_mod_resource = monoanim_japan_osp_anim
load_mod_resource = monoanim_Papas_Community_Animations
#### Neat Animations ####
6)Play 1257 ad and enjoy your new battles.

UNINSTALLATION:

Overwrite my actions.txt with your backed file.
If you really need those extra 5mb, delete the Resource folder and paste your backed one. (counterintuitive)

KNOWN ISSUES:
- I am aware some animations are awkward.
- Some death animations might stop playing and no ragdoll model kicks in, so some standing corpses will be there.
- Some animations may be a tad bit too slow or too fast.

DOWNLOAD:

[beta 0.1]MediaFire [initial beta release]:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/m0ux5rjt0mq3uth/monoolhos-1257ad-anim-submod.rar

[beta 0.2]MediaFire:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3c9609sv56xmmfb/monos-1257ad-animation-mod-beta02.rar

[beta 0.3]
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7ba6xbhmclhl2bt/monos-1257ad-animation-mod-beta03.rar (removed cross-arm anims)

[beta 0.4]
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6gaoiy8to6ki3bb/monos-1257ad-animation-mod-beta04.rar

[Version 42-2 - Life, the Universe and Everything Else.]
Ver42-2

Version 1.0 for Viking Conquest [oven pilot testing lights version]
Ver. 1.0
Easy steps: paste the stuff into your VC module folder (my personal recommendation is to copypaste the folder and make something like "Viking Conquest - Mine, only mine, just mein mein mein" so you don't mess with the DLC stuff, and if theres an update, it wont screw your game).
Overwrite the actions.txt. Copy and paste everything in the "copy this into module.ini" into module.ini, preferably somewhere around the end of the file, but the middle is just fine. Just be sure to place it after any "load_resource", since these load from warband main folder, so it could be screwy. It happened to me once, so just place it between the mid-end of the file.

If you make any alterations, modifications, deletions, could you kindly report them to me so I could consider doing it myself in the mod?

Here's the link for my Animmod for Viking Conquest v. 1.0

CHANGELOG:
2015, 03, 11th --- Initial release.
2015, 03, 16th --- Some animations were a little bit improved, removed the painful Yumi animation (cool, I know, but when shooting a longbow, it really kills your arms, also, there aren't any yumi bows in 1257); added variety to strike animations (when you get hit it may take longer to recover, so it WILL be harder when you're gang-raped), some minor stuff; tried to add more knockback time when a hit is parried/defended, didn't see much difference, but may be working and I'm not seeing it.
2015, 03, 20th --- Removed the cross-arm stance, I think. Fixed the speed of onehand and twohand hits, some minor bugfixes.
2015, 03, 24th --- Minor bugfixing, added DUE CREDITS, added papa lazarou's shield bash anim

2016, 08, 5th --- Removed some of the silliness, more shield anims. I don't know. It looks cooler now, less stupid at least.

So, that's it. Again, if you feel offended that I have used your work without due permission (or credit), tell me and I'll make due amends, and if you feel this is in really bad taste, I will shut it down.

I DID NOT MAKE ANY OF THESE ANIMATIONS, they are from various awesome animation modders that came before, I just put them together.

CREDITS!: (This mod would not ever happen if not for these guys, the makers of the original animations)

Combat Animation Enhancement Mod by Papa Lazarou
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,134185.0.html

Jacobhinds' Gekokujo Animation Submod
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,305602.0.html

Psiphoon's Animation mod(I'm not even sure how I got it...)
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,113497.msg2738336.html#msg2738336

bsapaka's Kunst des Fechtens: 2-handed animations (beta)
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=233883.0

Recompiled Animations from Kegenki 9.1 Mod posted by Yuias
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1769&posted=true#c_7795

Papa's Community Animations
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=3087

Warband: New Animations Mod by dreamterror
http://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade/mods/1935/?

Beta 0.2 uploaded for further testing, added changelog to OP;

Some of the beta 0.2 changes:
2015, 03, 16th --- Some animations were a little bit improved, removed the painful Yumi animation (cool, I know, but when shooting a longbow, it really kills your arms, also, there aren't any yumi bows in 1257); added variety to strike animations (when you get hit it may take longer to recover, so it WILL be harder when you're gang-raped), some minor stuff; tried to add more knockback time when a hit is parried/defended, didn't see much difference, but may be working and I'm not seeing it.

Download link in the OP. If you have tested it, some feedback is always appreciated.

Some feedback:

First off, I applaud your effort to try to enhance the atmosphere of this mod :party: That's something that you can never have enough of.

The animations are a mixed bag for me though.

1) I really like the added spear animations, looks more dynamic, especially with the faster ones like the Rohatyna.
2) Also I appreciate the added variety for blunt weapon attacks. The only problem I see there is with the really hefty ones (like long hafted spiked mace) where some of the movements feel too "light" considering the weight of the weapon.
3) The new idle bow stances have part of the bow clip through the body, one cuts right through the shoulder and another buries half of the bow in my chars stomach.
4) I don't like the new unarmed idle pose with the crossed arms. I think it has a too clichéd and cartoonish vibe to it, because he does it every single time when standing still.

Can't say anything regarding swords, never use them in my games.

Is there a way to fix the bow clipping and replace only the unarmed idle stance with the old one? Then I could see myself using this as default.

I think the anims are pretty awesome from what I've seen so far. I especially like the kick anims, the one hander and two hander anims are a bit fast, and the over handed mounted polearm anim is a little goofy. Very cool though.

ADDED DOWNLOAD LINK TO beta03 in OP  :party:

Well hello, I fixed some minor stuff.

As per request, I removed the cross-armed standing anim, I think. If they're still there tell me and I'll remove them completely (I removed them and while I was messing around there was a blackout and I can't remember what I saved,  But I don't remember seeing the cross-arm stance anymore, I remember trying to remove just from the "unarmed" animations, so it wouldn't mess with the NPCs, but if it's still there, redo the fix pronto).
Fixed the speed of onehanders and twohanders, they may look more natural now, I think they do, my memory's hazy today and I could barely play this week, fixed the stuff back on sunday/monday.

About the bow animations:
Which bow animations exactly? Running, walking, standing, shooting? And what bows? Any, or just the [specific bow]?
I mostly use only swords, so I rarely get to test much of the other weapons to see how they fare.

Which over handed mount anim? The one where the char holds the weapon close to the chest? I know there was one such that I didn't quite like, but when looking from behind it seemed alright for lances and some swords...
The process of animgenics to get the best ones is a long and tedious one, that's why this is a beta. :smile:

Thank you very much for your feedback, and if you have more suggestions or found something of note, please share.

The bow animation is japanese style, and doesn't fit in a european setting. Yes, there are asians in terms of mongolians in the mod, but they are not japanese...

EDIT: Sorry, ignore my comment. I reacted on the screenshots, posted, and then saw the update...

No problem mate.

Indeed I had saved before completely removing the cross-arm anims, fixed that and posted the new link for beta0.3.

I am leaving all the versions available in case anyone has any intention on using them in their own mods or anything. Gotta find some time to go over my searches for animations and post due credits, this is killing my moral integrity and ethics values.

Updated to beta 0.4
Added due credits to all those authors from whom I used the animations  (everything in the OP)

(IF UPDATING, EXTRACT AND REPLACE THE RESOURCE FOLDER [new file added] AND PASTE THE EXTRA LINE INTO YOUR MODULE.INI)
load_mod_resource = Papas_Community_Animations

#####Changelog#####
[beta] 0.4
-Minor bugfixing, fixed some death anims timings and frames (they will play a bit better now).
-Added papa's comm anims, a shield bash, should be working properly.

Could you fix the shield bugs where you spin around when looking up or down?
Also, shield bash isn't showing! If you can't fix this, could you make a version without the shield animations?
Also, some of the kick animations are a bit to martial arts like, and wouldn't be possible for a fully armoured warrior.
Maybe you could release a realistic version, without the fancy kicks and attacks.

Otherwise, great work putting these things together into one big mod!

monoolho said:
About the bow animations:
Which bow animations exactly? Running, walking, standing, shooting? And what bows? Any, or just the [specific bow]?

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot about this for a while. Here is a montage, where you can see the 2 clipping problems I mentioned: upper row is through-the-shoulder and lower row through-the-stomach clippings from different angles. I'm having a Masterwork Hunting Bow equipped and both are idle/standing stances.

untitled-1.jpg

And sorry about the dark image, I'm playing with realistic saving and it just happenend to be night, couldn't afford to forward to daytime.

Edit: I think you could just as well delete these 2 instead of tweaking them to look right, there are more than enough idle bow poses to begin with. Unless you don't mind the extra work ofc  :razz:

I really love the fresh animations, which add to the in-game battle experiences. Good job!
However, for I hope to see more improvements, let me mention some things that I assume should be reworked, including the ones already mentioned.

1) When you hold a throwing spear, the tip somehow points backwards.

2) The overhead thrust of which the lance is capable should be removed, because the direction in which the lance goes is quite different from the rest of the lance animations.

3) The shield bash not working!

Thank you a lot for your input. I will be looking into these issues and will see what can be fixed.

About the standing bow animations, the problem is that the bow uses 1-handed animations, the same as swords, and I quite like those animations... But I will work out something simple, maybe a small tutorial instead of a different version (many uploads, double the workload as each fix I do to one v ersion must be reapplied to the optional one).

I haven't been too active on this due to my need on acquiring XP to level up in in the IRL game, and the class I chose is a nasty one that needs hundreds of readings on articles and books, so it does take some time.

After playing for about 3-4 months with this mod I came to the conclusion, that it just isn't fit for proper fighting. It just makes it so much harder to estimate the moment to hit/get hit, where the enemy might be after a blow/after getting dehorsed and positioning in general. It has too much weapon swirling, char gesturing and floating around and all of that might look good when you are not in a pinch, but when you need to land a blow (tournaments come to mind) it's just getting in the way and takes control away from you.

So although I'd like a more lively feel, I can't really recommend this mod in its current state.

DeSoto said:
After playing for about 3-4 months with this mod I came to the conclusion, that it just isn't fit for proper fighting. It just makes it so much harder to estimate the moment to hit/get hit, where the enemy might be after a blow/after getting dehorsed and positioning in general. It has too much weapon swirling, char gesturing and floating around and all of that might look good when you are not in a pinch, but when you need to land a blow (tournaments come to mind) it's just getting in the way and takes control away from you.

So although I'd like a more lively feel, I can't really recommend this mod in its current state.

I modified the sub mod myself to the point where the animations don't look silly, or hinder gameplay.
I can upload it if I am allowed to do so, but don't know how  :sad:

Downloaded and tried the latest version, and honestly, I have to say, they look so extremely silly that I don't think I'll use them at all. I like some of them, but others, such as the attack animations and kicking animations have a sort of "EXTREMELY SILLY ANIME FIGHTING" feel. Wish there was a more "serious" 1257 AD Animation Submod, but meh. Thanks for uploading this anyway for the people who do enjoy it.

Dolen said:
DeSoto said:

I modified the sub mod myself to the point where the animations don't look silly, or hinder gameplay.
I can upload it if I am allowed to do so, but don't know how  :sad:

If you could somehow upload that, that'd be really nice. I like a lot of these animations but some of them look bloody ridiculous. Dropbox works for easy uploading, things of that nature.

Here it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/znrl0z0ve1x4i08/AACr0CPwyJHHWQQEBDpUnxlAa?dl=0

Simply copy and paste resource folder, module.ini and action.txt, and when asked, overwrite.
For those who want sound tweaks as well, copy and paste sound.txt and sounds folder as well.

Dolen said:
Here it is.

Simply copy and paste resource folder, module.ini and action.txt, and when asked, overwrite.
For those who want sound tweaks as well, copy and paste sound.txt and sounds folder as well.

Thanks for the upload, but I'm pretty sure you zipped up more files than needed. monoolho's upload has 3.65mb, your's 225mb. Might want to remove unnecessary files to make it more obvious what the actual changes are. I understand the inclusion of the Sounds folder as you mention that one, but the Resource folder seems to have all the original files in it as well. And that empty 1257AD folder seems to be misplaced, it probably should have included all of the other files, right?

EDIT: The added/replaced sounds are pretty impressive. The first time an arrow flew by I was like ":shock: ...I better get out of here"

Dolen said:
Here it is.

Hey thanks man. A lot of the silly ones were removed and some of the nicer ones were left in/edited. Thanks for that.  :grin:

Ok, I have uploaded one that contains the fewest possible files.

I wish I could modify troop equipment and such as well, but it crashes the game...

Back
Top Bottom