monoolho's Animation Submod [not so BETA anymore]

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi ! I would like to know how you managed to modify monoolho's submod
I agree with you, some of the animations were breaking the game and looked silly but others were fine to me, and in your version you only kept few of them.

Edit : most of the idle ones were fine and also the ones when you draw your hand weapon.

Dear loved ones. I have returned from the netherrealms and actually updated the mod. The link to the download is in the OP, and also in the reply, because I'm a cool guy and doesn afraid of nothing.

Version 42-2 right here, yes. Click here. Anywhere but here.

What I dids:
-The overswing from horseback that did not reach the ground, and some crazy twohanded animations from horseback.

-A lot more shield defending animations. Quite cool to look at. Maybe not functional enough, but who cares? I don't.

-Tried to fix the crazy-armed shield animation, I think I fixed it (mostly, or just reduced it a lot, so it's bearable now).

-Some other lot of stuff I messed around in the last 1.5 years.

-Fixed the awkward kicking animations, and some kicks replaced by shield bashing (and vice-versa, I think, honestly forgot and too lazy to look it up).

Sorry it took so long to do this. I'm not even sure what else is different.

Why 42? Because the dolphins are leaving, and thanking us for all the fish. Next time around I may make a tom & jerry themed update. Or not.

Any feedback and critique are at all welcome. I really tried to remove those ludicrous roundhouse kicks and ****. So I think "kicking" is a lot cooler this time around. Also a ton more of shield animations. They may look useless, a bit awkward and not cool enough. But it`s nice eye candy for those shieldwalls awaiting the inevitable rain of arrows. If they actually don`t work at all, tell me and I`ll do stuff to fix it.

Warning for the faint of heart: I have not removed that awful clipping standing animation with a bow, because there was no way remove it only from bows, and I quite like it with swords. Sorry once more for being almost a year too late here. But do enjoy the mod. If you need help modifying something, just shout and I'd be glad to help. The animation system isn't too hard.

If for some reason, there is any animation missing (your char doing something completely bizarre like being jesus, unintentionally, of course), tell me what action you were doing when it happens (kind of weapon if appliable).

EDIT: Why 42-2? Because I forgot some bashing animations that looked too silly, now it seems better.  Methinks.

Any animation that seems too stupid still, just gimme a shout. Also, needing help with compatching this with any other module (even vanilla), just give a shout. Making a guide usually means people won't read it.

EDIT II: Just added them cool vids, only one of them, actually. In the OP. and Here:

It's doable, but not recommendedd as is.

What must I do? Adapt the Actions.txt file form the mod to the vanilla file. How? You use notepad++ and use the "Compare" tool, then you go and copy and paste all the animations that exist within it.

Easy way to try it: just install into your native folder (MAKE BACKUPS of module.ini and actions.txt) and try it out, it may work quite well, i just dont guarantee it.

Hello!

Sorry for ressurecting such an old topic, but I was looking to merge Combat Animation Enhancement with 1257 and stumbled upon this submod which seemed like a godsend.

However, there are a few things kinda bugging me.

1) While I love that blocking seems to have multiple animations now, sometimes my character gets super deformed, especially when I pan the camera up and down. I  couldn't quite nail which animation was causing it though

2) At times when I block, my character suddenly becomes frozen with both of his hands lowered at his side, until I stop blocking or do an different animation. Again, I can't really track down what animation is responsible.

3) Again, I love the variety of attacking animations as well, but is there way to get rid of the ones where character does that unnecessary twirling before (and even after) the attack? It actually throws the timing off, since now the attack takes a lot longer to do because of the needlessly long animation. It has killed me a few tmes as well.

4) Any way to remove the "unarmed fighting stance" that pops up whenevr I just stand around, with no weapon in my hand?

In case the mod author is not active anymore, I'd just be content with maybe some pointers to what I should edit myself? :smile:

Apart from that, the submod is perfect and works as intended.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also, one more thing: I am not sure if it could be caused by that but I added halfswording and Mordau animations from here (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,353520.0.html) to the actions menu and while it worked, now whenever is my character running with a greatsword, he'll start stabbing the air in front of him, while sliding forward.

The only thing I did was adding two lines near the "musket" section. Could that be the culprit?

Absolutely sorry for such a late reply, been a while since I came here.
So I'll reply as I read.

Deathstruck92 said:
Hello there!

Sorry for ressurecting such an old topic, but I was looking to merge Combat Animation Enhancement with 1257 and stumbled upon this submod which seemed like a godsend.
Exactly what I've been doing since I created the courage to do this in gekokujo. (Honestly I've been modding 1257 a lot longer than any other mod. Ever. In any game. Not that I'd know anything about it, but that is irrelevant).

1) While I love that blocking seems to have multiple animations now, sometimes my character gets super deformed, especially when I pan the camera up and down. I  couldn't quite nail which animation was causing it though
I haven't yet as well. It has been bogging me for a while, but I did not want to mess too much with it to actually fix it since it's just screwy and awkward for a few instances here and there (I do not remember how it is in the 'released' mod, I can only remember what I've modded in the last... 2 years now? Close enough)

2) At times when I block, my character suddenly becomes frozen with both of his hands lowered at his side, until I stop blocking or do an different animation. Again, I can't really track down what animation is responsible.
Possibly it's one wrong animation code, or it's missing in the resource files. Easiest way to look for it is to delete all replicates of the animations, leave the barebones and start chopping them off at random to see what sticks. All animations are applied at random by the game, so it's really hard to know which is which, even if you remember the animations from looking at the resource files.

3) Again, I love the variety of attacking animations as well, but is there way to get rid of the ones where character does that unnecessary twirling before (and even after) the attack? It actually throws the timing off, since now the attack takes a lot longer to do because of the needlessly long animation. It has killed me a few tmes as well.
I left it there because I actually love it with axes and some swords. It is possible to do it, but would have to look into the resource files to see which is which. If you're intent on doing it yourself, my hint is that those are in the "ready_" animations (the animation that plays right before release, which is the slash/stab per se)

4) Any way to remove the "unarmed fighting stance" that pops up whenevr I just stand around, with no weapon in my hand?
Yes, it's in the "man_stand" animations, and possibly in the "stand" ones too. I don't remember which one it is, though. Could look it up, just not now, and possibly not this week. Too much stuff to do for college. As a note, I`m fairly confident I've already deleted those in the latest personal modded file. But sometimes when I reinstall a mod or something it pops up and pisses me off.

In case the mod author is not active anymore, I'd just be content with maybe some pointers to what I should edit myself? :smile:
The mod author is a really lazy and screwed up chap, that I can tell you. I may talk to him eventually, if he ever shows up. He takes long hiatus and is absent (and absent-minded) most of the time. But he does this with love, I guarantee it; he loves taking a hiatus and resting.

Apart from that, the submod is perfect and works as intended.
I KNOW, RIGHT? It doesn't crash the game! I think...

Thanks in advance!
No, thank you.

EDIT: Also, one more thing: I am not sure if it could be caused by that but I added halfswording and Mordau animations from here (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,353520.0.html) to the actions menu and while it worked, now whenever is my character running with a greatsword, he'll start stabbing the air in front of him, while sliding forward.

The only thing I did was adding two lines near the "musket" section. Could that be the culprit?
You know what? I have had many a run with the same problem many a time. I can't be certain, but yes, it can---short answer.
However, in my months of studying the action files, and since this problem does occur at somewhat random intervals with me (it happened with my inlaw when I copied the mod into his viking conquest game, i basically ctrlCctrlV'd my 1257 and viking conquest modified modules into his warband folder and it happened, while it didn't quite happen with me, not so much for me to notice, but it bugged my inlaw-he's 12... SO there I went trying to find the problem and I don't think I've solved it yet. This was about 3 months ago, I think.)

Now, scientifically, my hypothesis is that there are some animations that have the same name or code in the files (resources/animations.txt), and sometimes the game tries to play one or the other, gets confused and misses altogether in the resource files playing something completely random.
IF it's not that, it may be that one of the stabing anims is very badly placed somewhere. It sometimes happens when running forward(i never cared and never managed to see the patter with what sort of weapon it happens).

Now, if you are interested, I could try to upload my latest modded animations, which are quite a long way from these crude ones I posted back in 2016. They're not great, I only work on them sporadically, and the best working one I've got is for viking conquest, It took me some many hours to patch it for VC from 1257... That's why I work so sporadically.

I will keep this tab open to check back in a few days. Pop a message if you're really interested and I may find some free time. There's always some late nights free for some warband modding. I simply love this frigging game.

Edit #9: Forgive my many edits and my incoherence in many sentences. It's 4:04 in the morning and I haven't slept in quite some time. Do you know when you have that huge assignment/report to write in less than 12 hours, and you're watching random videos about what would happen if the earth stopped... Yeah, I know you are michael and you are on the place you are standing... I feel strangely aroused by your beard and buzzcut head now... Yeah. I can barely even understand how it is that I found your question here.

It would appear that I am drunk. But it's sleeplessness. Or something. I hope I can be of any help, that's what I wanted to say.

Hello! First, thank you for your work, I also stumbled across this not long ago when I decided to get back into 1257. It has really changed the dynamic of the game for me, especially since I also increased the difficulty and opted for manual blocking.... Good times!

I see your post mentioned you made animations for VC??? I have just started making a personal submod for Viking Conquest and would love to have some new animations for it!

I was actually planning on trying my hand at putting some of these into it manually, but if you happen to have a file already I would be eternally grateful

Also, I am new to modding and have not touched animations for this game yet, could you give me a few pointers perhaps? Basically, I want combat to be a little slower and more deliberate, I am working on changing weapon and damage stats to ensure that no one is 'invincible' just because they wear armor, and I want every engagement to be a risk (I hate hack and slash)

That's why I like many of your animations, they extend the time between swings and blocks, but could you tell me where I should look or what gets edited to control attack speeds with different weapons?

One last question, sorry, I'm asking a lot, but is your VC animations the same as 1257? Or did you modify them?

Thanks again!

Wow, a lot more activity than I'm used to. Damn, I hate being so lazy.

Alright. Thank you for your thanks. I honestly am really egotystical. I merely make stuff for myself, and when it's not so embarassingly bad, I release it for others. Somehow, someway, many people tend to actually like some of my crappy moddings. This is envigorating. Really.
I have tried my hand at manual blocking and... Nope. I just can't. Don't have the reflexes, and nowadays I barely have the time to keep them up (especially since most days I leave home about 7am and only come back after 9pm, so I need to: eat, sleep, shower, write essays, articles, whatever, unwind, try to have some fun, and occasionally try my hand at some coitus. Being a grown up is so much unfun.

Nate884 said:
I see your post mentioned you made animations for VC??? I have just started making a personal submod for Viking Conquest and would love to have some new animations for it!
I was actually planning on trying my hand at putting some of these into it manually, but if you happen to have a file already I would be eternally grateful
Well, actually I do. I will work on setting it up for uploading this thursday. I am far too tired right now to do it. (Sorry, I feel like a 70yr old these days...)

Also, I am new to modding and have not touched animations for this game yet, could you give me a few pointers perhaps?
Well, it will seem daunting, but there are some neat tutorials out there. I learned through them. Do forum-search for them 'animation tutorial' or something. Until then, there are some simple stuff you need to understand about the animations in the game:
Animations.txt is a text file. (No ****, sherlock) There are essentially 3 kinds of things inside the text: the "Animation Set" keys, the animations per se, and the NUMBERS. There are A LOT of numbers.
ready_thrust_onehanded 1679884800 1679843338  1
0.350000 attacks_thrust_onehanded 5 13 7 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
Animation set keys: they define what is your action in-game. Stand, Walk, Run, these are pretty self-explanatory. The 'complicated' ones are the combat anims: they follow the same principle of ~3 sets per group of linked actions. Ready-the animation that plays when you click/hold to raise your weapon, Release-the animation of the swing/stab/whatever; Release_continue-Supposedly the animation that plays after the attack has ended, and the char brings the weapon close to the body. If there are more than one of them, the game will choose one at random to play, that's why there's only one of each you'll notice in the native files.

The animations: most of them are either animhuman or some other random name with with some numbers before and after, the numbers I left for last because they're complex. If you look at my modded actions, you'll see plenty of different animations names. What are they? These are the actual references to the animations inside the resources folder. If you go and open any animation resource (.brf, with Open brf), you'll see there are plenty of animations there, and the game looks into actions.txt to go after those specific animations. If you look at taleworlds files, there'll only be one animation, a huge one with thousands of frames. Somehow for them it's better to have one animation with thousands of frames, and they order Actions.txt to find those specific frames (numbers... the DAMN NUMBERS). That's all for the text itself.

Les nombres: What are they? How do they work?
The First and most important number: the last one on each line of Animation Set.
ready_thrust_onehanded 1679884800 1679843338  1
This one tells how many animations this set contains. THEY MUST MATCH. in this example, there's only one, let's take a look at my anim:
unequip_spear 0 184549446  3
  0.30 equip_arms 15 10 1 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
  0.33 equip_arms 15 10 1 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
  0.36 equip_arms 15 10 1 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
There's 3 animations, so it must be 3 in green there. If it's wrong for ANY REASON, the game will crash on the first loading screen. So BE SURE TO ALWAYS CHECK, or else you'll have to check count ALL the animations in all the >600 sets. I've done this countless times. Now I keep a daunting number of backups for each save, so if it's ever wrong, I simply count it as a loss and try to redo what I changed so I don't have to check each set.

The TIME numbers: These set for how long in Seconds the animation will play. 1.0 = 1.000000 = 1 Second. 0.5 = 0.50000 = Half second.
0.85 equip_arms 253 276 1 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
The number of zeros means nothing. I wouldn't go over 6 because I'm afraind, and you really don't need such Formula 1-specific timing for animations. This game allows this. So what this number means is that the animation will play for this much in seconds.
An animation has no specific time in this game, they have a set number of frames, so what this does is tell to play those frames in ### seconds. If there's only 1 or two frames and you tell it to play for 3 seconds, it will take 3 seconds to go from frame one to the last one.

The game compensates the space between each frame by smoothing out the animation, so the animation can literally contain two frames of an arm set like this: Frame 1: | ; Frame 2: __  ---the game will fill the gap by making something like Frame 1.5: /  so it looks 'natural'. So the animation may contain a thousand frames, or 1, this number will make those frames play in the specified amount of seconds.
Some animations (like death anims) have a specific set limit of 3~5 seconds. So if you tell the animation to play for 15 seconds, it will calculate the frames to play for 15 seconds, but the game will stop the animation after the 3rd or 4th second, so it'll be like a statue there. That's why many of the death animations look awkward sometimes.

The FRAME NUMBERS: The easiest. It tells the game which frame is the starting frame of the animation, and which is the last one.
So the animation has frames 0, 1, 2, 3...15, 16, 17 ,18, 20, 35. It doesn't need to be linear, nor continuous. If you tell to play from 0 to 35, it will fill play all the frames, it doesn't need to be from 0 to 35 in perfect order, the game knows how to 'fill the gaps'. If you tell it to play from 5-15, it will play from 5 to 15.
If by some reason you want to invert the animation, you can simply alter the initial and final frames:
0.350000 attacks_thrust_onehanded 13 5 7 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
The game knows it will have to play it backwards. Pretty neat, huh?

Now the other numbers I have virtually no idea what they are. Never messed with them, as far as I know, they barely messed with me, so we leave it at that and no one gets hurt. Not so much, at least.

Basically, I want combat to be a little slower and more deliberate, I am working on changing weapon and damage stats to ensure that no one is 'invincible' just because they wear armor, and I want every engagement to be a risk (I hate hack and slash)

That's why I like many of your animations, they extend the time between swings and blocks, but could you tell me where I should look or what gets edited to control attack speeds with different weapons?
So about the timing: have you tried to change the in-game option of Combat Speed to slowest? This is not what you want? I haven't messed too much with this because I really messed it up some long time ago.

One thing you COULD do is to change the time of ALL the ready animations to something bigger than 0.3-0.35 or 0.4. My advice is DON'T give different numbers, it'll screw ALL the attacks, even more so if you don't know which will play. So you bulk edit it to something like 0.9 and test it in the arena or something and see how well it plays.
Don't overdo it, and remember that if you use long ready animations, you'll be unable to make combos, because you'll have to keep the mouse button pressed for this long for the attack to be ready.

You could, mayhaps, try to mess with the Release_continue animations (increasing their times), but I haven't tried it, and it may not work as you want it to. You gotta try it to get it, though.

One last question, sorry, I'm asking a lot, but is your VC animations the same as 1257? Or did you modify them?
It's technically the same, but with a lot less awkward ones, and maybe some other new ones that fit well. I couldn't possibly say the real difference, however.

Thanks again!
No, thank YOU. I just spent one hour and a half writing this, and I feel so good. Thanks, mate.

I'll see about uploading my current VC animations.

Wow man, thanks again. Really.

I feel you on the whole work and study interfering with recreation thing, ha, I work fulltime, volunteer in the community and am currently learning a new language with homework all week and classes on the weekend. Hence me asking people with experience when possible instead of completely relying on trying to find forum threads alone. You all normally have awesome shortcuts or easier explanation than some general tutorials that can help jump start me.

I really do appreciate the breakdown, it was pretty clear and I can see what you're saying. Whether or not I will be able to actually do it, we will see. I'm trying to find a balance between making a mod with everything I want in it and not biting off more than I can chew, especially the first time around.

SO if I'm able to just copy and paste your animations in and then worry about maybe tweaking them a little in the future that would be awesome.

Thanks again man!

For VC you may just be able to.

Easy steps: paste the stuff into your VC module folder (my personal recommendation is to copypaste the folder and make something like "Viking Conquest - Mine, only mine, just mein mein mein" so you don't mess with the DLC stuff, and if theres an update, it wont screw your game).
Overwrite the actions.txt. Copy and paste everything in the "copy this into module.ini" into module.ini, preferably somewhere around the end of the file, but the middle is just fine. Just be sure to place it after any "load_resource", since these load from warband main folder, so it could be screwy. It happened to me once, so just place it between the mid-end of the file.

And that's pretty much it. Start your new module and test the crap out of it. Anything awry, just follow the baby-steps to delete animations: go to the anim set you want, delete the animations you want, and subtract these many deleted animations from the last number in the animation set line. Pretty much it. Easy stuff for light modules. A crapload of time for 1257ad.

If you make any alterations, modifications, deletions, could you kindly report them to me so I could consider doing it myself in the mod?

Here's the link for my Animmod for Viking Conquest v. 1.0

Apparently, I'll soon have to post this somewhere else because the 1257ad thread is disappeared into the netherrealms.

Sweet, thanks man. I'm currently working on my VC mini mod, or giant mod, depending on how OCD I get.

I got permission to use the Blood Eagle submod as a starting point, I just added an obscene amount of items and am now going through the slow and painful process of picking and choosing what stays and what goes, and renaming and pricing items, etc. to achieve a nice balance of cool stuff but not overwhelming

If all goes well, I'm going to have a nice masochistic mod reminiscent of the original Brytenwaldas where you just want to stab yourself in the eye because its so brutally hard to get established, but so darn rewarding when you finally do. Hopefully I can get freelancer on there though that will help take the edge off the beginning.

My next up is to devalue all the money, there's several awesome mods that make high quality items expensive and difficult to get as they should be, but they often do so by simply making them hella expensive. There is entirely too much money floating around for that time period if you're not a king. So I'm going to achieve the same thing by just making everything cost less but money harder to come by methinks.

My goal is to also increase reputation and relationship rewards and lower monetary quest rewards so that more or less the same thing will happen, you just won't be walking around with 100,000 pieces of silver. You'll get discounts buying from that town due to your good relations, instead of tons of money to spend anywhere.

So these animations will hopefully give me a jumpstart or even a straight pass in the animation department, thank you very much, so I can focus my very limited time on these other tedious processes

Cheers!

No problem, mate. Glad it is of any help. I too value the  devalued monies in mods because, well, it makes more sense, remembering that saxons would break pennies in half to sell wives and stuff, if everything costs more than 50k, it feels like GTA online or those high stakes markets of saudi princes, wall street barons and russian mobsters.

I have seen many a masterwork pickaxe that costs 300,000 golds. Can't say if its absurd inflation or plain stupidity.

About the animations, be sure to take note of each and every instance where the things go awry. I have transmuted the mod into Gekokujo Daimyo ed. and a lot of animations were broken, so from VC>Gekokujo there are many resources missing. Still trying to figure out what's wrong.
Thus, any report is of vital importance.

EDIT: I have moved the mod into the development forum here.

Back
Top Bottom