Module system license

Users who are viewing this thread

Rongar

Master Knight
I noticed (not that recently) several mods on googlecode.
They usually are under gnu gpl v3.
And I started to wonder which license (if any) can be legally applied to open source projects based on Module system.
Is module system in public domain or what?

That's an interesting question. Taleworlds released the MS themselves, available to public and unconstrained by any kind of license, so I'd say that formally it is public domain. They however did forbid certain actions with MS (like reverse-porting features from Warband to M&B) which definitely puts it's PD status under a big question mark. So it would still be better to ask them directly.

As for licenses for mod projects, well, if the base material is freeware, then AFAIK modification of the base material could be declared pretty much anything by the author. Notice the bold. :smile:

I'm no lawyer though.

Lav said:
Taleworlds released the MS themselves, available to public and unconstrained by any kind of license, so I'd say that formally it is public domain. They however did forbid certain actions with MS (like reverse-porting features from Warband to M&B) which definitely puts it's PD status under a big question mark.
Lav, could you point on sources of both statements?

Lav said:
So it would still be better to ask them directly.
That's of course right. I'll do it late if don't find out somehow else.

Thats a very interesting question, maybe a dev could help, if anyone gets any info can you post it back here as i'll be intrigued by what they say :wink:.

Wolf.

The license for the module system itself is irrelevant as they (TW) control the technology to actually make it do anything.  If someone does something that they deem is not in their own interests, they can offset all the operators by one (as an example) and release a new restricted module system and you get to say exactly nothing about it.  Of course you can correct your module code to compensate but you blow your own license up when you do.

Sorry for the minor necro but I stumbled upon this via search.

Back
Top Bottom