Mods I won't play the game without.

Users who are viewing this thread

I am listing here some of the mods I honestly need to make the current state of the game enjoyable. The purpose here is a) to highlight immediate issues in EA that should be addressable given that mods are fixing/mitigating the issues. b) Give me something to do while I drink my coffee.

1) Campaign map dialogue. The vanilla loop of encounter of " chase downlooters -> loading screen -> Tell them get ready for a pounding -> Loading screen -> Select Attack -> Loading screen -> Battle" is atrocious, sorry guys. The more immersive dialogue screens are great for important lords (even then can be annoying) but not for insignificant mobs. Literally the dead time from this inefficiency adds up over a gameplay session.

2) Bannerlord Tweaks: AKA: A whole bunch of quality of life improvements.
Not everything in this mod is a must but:
a) XP rate adjustments. The leveling system is broken. There are threads that go into depth about the death-spiral of progression. Especially given that in EA we're often starting new games regularly and playing more of the early game, the vanilla rate of progression becomes intolerable after ones first day with the game.

b) Hideouts:
Putting 40 man hideouts that cap the party size, or make you insta-fail if you fall in battle, is stupid. Its a very out of place action-adventury-all-rides-on-you sequence in a game that is basically the opposite of that. All this results in is players not doing hide-outs, which is a shame.

c) Adjusting crafting/smithing stamina: Hooo boy was this system not well ironed out. Sure, I get it, you want some downtime between smithing sessions but this system overshot the mark and made a massive grind.

3) Unit stat fixes:
You have crossbowmen with bow skills. You have cavalry in the infantry grouping. You have Tier 5 units that sometimes have weaker skills than their Tier 4 predecessors. It took a modder like an hour to just fix this stuff in text editors. C'mon. There's a lot of EA jank that's totally tolerable, but this is just a huge stumble.

Honorable mentions go to:
Collision fix - Battles in vanilla are way too "crowded" like we're all in a trash compactor.
Fighting Together Gives Relationship - Like in warband, because lord knows in Vanilla its easier to make friends with your enemies by releasing them then your fellow comrades.
Realistic Battle - I'm not sure its the perfect balance, but it gives some more oomph to armor without completely making high tier enemies unrealistic dumb damage sponges.

I've been a little leery of trying out mods, since patches come out so frequently, but since they've slowed it down to 1-2 a week I might give some of these a go. Thanks for the recommendations =D

I am listing here some of the mods I honestly need to make the current state of the game enjoyable. The purpose here is a) to highlight immediate issues in EA that should be addressable given that mods are fixing/mitigating the issues. b) Give me something to do while I drink my coffee.

1) Campaign map dialogue. The vanilla loop of encounter of " chase downlooters -> loading screen -> Tell them get ready for a pounding -> Loading screen -> Select Attack -> Loading screen -> Battle" is atrocious, sorry guys. The more immersive dialogue screens are great for important lords (even then can be annoying) but not for insignificant mobs. Literally the dead time from this inefficiency adds up over a gameplay session.

a) XP rate adjustments. The leveling system is broken. There are threads that go into depth about the death-spiral of progression. Especially given that in EA we're often starting new games regularly and playing more of the early game, the vanilla rate of progression becomes intolerable after ones first day with the game.

b) Hideouts:
Putting 40 man hideouts that cap the party size, or make you insta-fail if you fall in battle, is stupid. Its a very out of place action-adventury-all-rides-on-you sequence in a game that is basically the opposite of that. All this results in is players not doing hide-outs, which is a shame.

c) Adjusting crafting/smithing stamina: Hooo boy was this system not well ironed out. Sure, I get it, you want some downtime between smithing sessions but this system overshot the mark and made a massive grind.

3) Unit stat fixes:
You have crossbowmen with bow skills. You have cavalry in the infantry grouping. You have Tier 5 units that sometimes have weaker skills than their Tier 4 predecessors. It took a modder like an hour to just fix this stuff in text editors. C'mon. There's a lot of EA jank that's totally tolerable, but this is just a huge stumble.

Collision fix - Battles in vanilla are way too "crowded" like we're all in a trash compactor.
Fighting Together Gives Relationship - Like in warband, because lord knows in Vanilla its easier to make friends with your enemies by releasing them then your fellow comrades.
Realistic Battle - I'm not sure its the perfect balance, but it gives some more oomph to armor without completely making high tier enemies unrealistic dumb damage sponges.
Realistic Battle destroys ranged combat.. Basically very unbalanced. The other changes do please me (and "realistic battle" doesn't have much realism to it tbh, due to their ranged weap changes, an arrow to the central area of the chest of an unarmed peasant should be an insta-kill, for instance. Sure, it would be more of a bleedout kill irl, but this game has no bleeding)

The problem is, people on these forms are adamant that we only need new content and balance isn't important. So the devs are being pressured to ignore these kinds of things.

The problem is, people on these forms are adamant that we only need new content and balance isn't important. So the devs are being pressured to ignore these kinds of things.
well, that's not true, they are doing whatever they want / have planned. This isn't a democracy, and people asking for the content to be completed first is, in fact, the most logical thing... You can't balance a three-wheeled car properly, can you?

Realistic Battle destroys ranged combat.. Basically very unbalanced. The other changes do please me (and "realistic battle" doesn't have much realism to it tbh, due to their ranged weap changes, an arrow to the central area of the chest of an unarmed peasant should be an insta-kill, for instance. Sure, it would be more of a bleedout kill irl, but this game has no bleeding)

Yeah, I gave it an honorable mention because it shouldn't be in base game. It has some fun things, but its far from perfect. The ranged weapon thing being a good example - they overdo the compensation for range. I find, though, it makes tournaments way more fun.

I'm sort of one of those people. I think some of the caravan/economy balances were a huge waste of time and dumb, and would rather see steady content added. That said "balance" in regards to fixing blatantly misassigned stats, or a leveling system where it literally gates off things to be unachievable in an unintended way, needs addressing.

well, that's not true, they are doing whatever they want / have planned. This isn't a democracy, and people asking for the content to be completed first is, in fact, the most logical thing... You can't balance a three-wheeled car properly, can you?
The game is completely ruined by many unbalanced things. The steam roll is a great example. The game was over before you could even enjoy your character.

The game is completely ruined by many unbalanced things. The steam roll is a great example. The game was over before you could even enjoy your character.
So you want to balance a three-wheeled car because your current experience is more important than having the finished product? I'm sorry, but I can't condone that logic, to me that's quite illogical. In fact, it's stupid, because the entirety of Late Game features are missing.

b) Hideouts:

3) Unit stat fixes:

Nice list! Will have to try out Unit Stat Fixes and Collision Fix. I would also add Party AI to this list. It gives more options to managing Clan Parties, and actually allows you to build up a mini army without your parties suiciding on 400+ man armies.
Also to note, Fighting Together does not seem to work with 1.3.0 yet, I was getting a plethora of errors.

Nice list! Will have to try out Unit Stat Fixes and Collision Fix. I would also add Party AI to this list. It gives more options to managing Clan Parties, and actually allows you to build up a mini army without your parties suiciding on 400+ man armies.
Also to note, Fighting Together does not seem to work with 1.3.0 yet, I was getting a plethora of errors.

I think fighting together had a hotfix or something because I'm running it on beta with no errors, or the author put out a 1.3 version.
Good tip on the Party AI, I'm going to give that try!

The devs are capable of working on multiple things at once. While some are working on balance others working on content. Balancing actually goes faster than adding new content, so that's why we haven't seen any new content yet.

The devs are capable of working on multiple things at once. While some are working on balance others working on content. Balancing actually goes faster than adding new content, so that's why we haven't seen any new content yet.
They'll have to re-do all the balancing each time a new feature is introduced ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They'll have to re-do all the balancing each time a new feature is introduced ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not sure why you think that's an argument for not doing it. You also have to do bug fixing every time you add new content, it doesn't mean you shouldn't fix already present bugs just because new ones will emerge later.
The game is in EA, but they still have to maintain balance in order for players to enjoy it now. Why have a game in early access if you as a developer aren't allowed to tinker with it?

I'm not sure why you think that's an argument for not doing it. You also have to do bug fixing every time you add new content, it doesn't mean you shouldn't fix already present bugs just because new ones will emerge later.
The game is in EA, but they still have to maintain balance in order for players to enjoy it now. Why have a game in early access if you as a developer aren't allowed to tinker with it?
because even though ppl call it "balancing" it isn't, it's what we say back in Brazil: To cover the sun with a sieve. Great popular saying hahaha

Two quality of life mods aiming to speed things up:

Super Speed - allows you to speed up the game in battles even when you're not dead
Better Time - adds 4x fast forward on campaign map

I find myself enjoying the game much more with with these two mods as they allow me to speed up the repetitive parts of the game.

i play with CompanionRespec and Training Tweak mods. They both feel so natural, it's incredible. First make you companion actually able to progress and second remove need of looter hunting. Awesome.

Do you really not get the saying? I'm not even Brazilian and its pretty simple to understand. Basically the balancing TW is currently doing is the equivalent of trying to fix severed arm with a band aid.
Yeah sure I can try to guess the saying or it's meaning or try to read into the hints of the facial impressions of the writer of the comment through my telekinetic powers.
Or the commenter could basically explain what they mean instead of basically saying: we have (this) saying in Brazil, it's so fitting haha.
There was just a statement and no argument and I asked for elaborating not just repeating the same statement

Back
Top Bottom