Modified Flag Rules and Round Times

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Rich

Grandmaster Knight
In response to some of the discussions going on in this thread AE and RNGD just had a training match utilising new flag rules. This thread is for discussion of this new format and also I hope other teams will try playing it.

The rules are as follows:

Round Time = 3:30 (210 seconds)

Flags always spawn at 2:00, irrelevant of player positions or kills.

It was a really good game and I have to say I like this new format. It plays out much like now but there is very little waiting, I think we probably shaved 15-20 minutes off the length of the match and its nice not to have to worry about being too close to the other team or killing them which would stop flags. Flags come up reliably and its a lot simpler.

Thanks to Trivium and Wolfpack for letting them use their server for this test. If anyone else did want to host it the module is available here (It's a native mod running ENL admin mod, the only change is to the flag spawn times).

I absolutely agree with Azan on the fact that it was a really pleasant game.

This format, except only saving time, also make the match much more intense. No more time wasted by waiting for the flag. Also, as i've been spectator for the 8 first rounds, i can tell you that it's also a amazing to watch it. There is always action whereas with the actual format, watching streaming could be annoying by all these waitings. We finally got what we want to : more fighting, less waiting.

Additionnaly, the forced flag spawn allows teams to start fighting before the flag spawn which is impossible with the actual format. So while a team is trying to push for a control map, the flag can still spawn and force the action to be continuing somewhere else on the map.

This new format doesn't really change our way of playing. It"s the same we had already. Just makes things more intense and exciting. I really advise teams to test it as well.

I agree with Azan and Nubi, quick - intense - not sleeping while waiting the flag, hiding behind a corner - exciting !

And this match was really closed ( draw until the last round ) so we played something like one hour ( with 5 mins break between each 4 rounds ), but if we stop playing when there is a winner in the case of a "one way" match where a team wins 9-0 and with less break between each 4 rounds i guess some matches could be played in 30-40 mins .

For me this new way of playing sounds good.

Le Roux said:
Having played in the match, I do feel bigger maps, such as Field by the river could do with 15 seconds extra.

Yeah, we were looking at maybe adding 30 seconds for open maps since they generally have longer travel times. How would people feel about having different round lengths for different map types? For myself I don't think it will be too bad since you just need to set it when you switch maps once and that's it. Doesn't seem that much work compared to getting a team organised with classes, equipment and tactics.

I think the entire match took about 75 minutes to play out, but we were quite liberal with our breaks in between sets, I think if it was a one sided battle or if teams were quicker with the time between sets the whole thing would likely be over in an hour.

Lord Rich said:
Le Roux said:
Having played in the match, I do feel bigger maps, such as Field by the river could do with 15 seconds extra.

Yeah, we were looking at maybe adding 30 seconds for open maps since they generally have longer travel times. How would people feel about having different round lengths for different map types? For myself I don't think it will be too bad since you just need to set it when you switch maps once and that's it. Doesn't seem that much work compared to getting a team organised with classes, equipment and tactics.

I think the entire match took about 75 minutes to play out, but we were quite liberal with our breaks in between sets, I think if it was a one sided battle or if teams were quicker with the time between sets the whole thing would likely be over in an hour.

+1 to this. The format works fantastically, but you definitely do need a few more seconds to run around on maps like ruins/FBTR.

Ok i have to state the obvious aswell.
It was hell lotta fun!! No standing around picking my nose, then picking Cleric's, M's.. you get the picture. It was straight up action showing swords and other pointy objects up the enemy nose!

It was boring.

skeptical_hippo.jpg

What you could do to make the time even for any sort of map, be it open or closed (or mixed), is just let the flag spawn at 1:45 instead of 2:00.
That would make the flag more important, and control of the flag positions too, maybe that could gave for a nice result.

Le Roux said:
What you could do to make the time even for any sort of map, be it open or closed (or mixed), is just let the flag spawn at 1:45 instead of 2:00.
That would make the flag more important, and control of the flag positions too, maybe that could gave for a nice result.

This guy is not always right, but this time he is !

Well I think myself this way of playing was awesome. I also agree that 30 seconds extra or something could be added, but it should be closer to this new system than to the old one in my opinion. I also liked that flags spawned during the fight aswell, so that a team has to always think about flags aswell. Through this, clans can't avoid flag spawning by charging the enemies and clans who might end up beeing inferior in melee combats could be able to turn the outcome of the round with smart flag control playing.

Tonight we play against IG with same roundtime format, on Sandibush and Field by the river.

We played with 4 minutes round time (30 seconds more) and forced flag spawn at 2 minutes remaining.

As teams were pretty aggressive, we havn't wait that much for the flag on sandibush, but we had plenty enough time to take position and having some skirmishs on field by the river. When teams were agressive, there were enough time to fight and skirmish before the flag spawn. Nevertheless, for some rounds, each team had some more defensive tactics which include flag waiting. By playing on a 4 minutes roundtime, it made the wait much less long.

Back
Top Bottom