MP Modified Combat Parameters

Users who are viewing this thread

Oh, sorry, I was talking about the swing delay that we all keep complaining about, the one before the swing starts but after you release your mouse, and the one that's also variable depending on whether or not you hold the attack. Ready_speed_multiplier sounds more like the amount of time it takes to ready an attack before you release the button.

But thanks for answering the question.
There's currently no way of removing the attack delay once an attack is released. Since it's part of the animation itself, it can't be removed completely. You can fiddle with some of the parameters to lessen its effect however.
For example, quick_release_skipped_progress will skip quick attacks to a certain point in the attack animation, allowing you to bypass the delay part completely. However there is no parameter for strong attacks strangely.

How can it be, that there has not been an official answer to this? They dont have to approve it, but atleast appreciate the time you guys put into all this. And obviously, most of these adjustments seem pretty decent, dont they?

I liked Bannerlords new ways and sighed at every thread with the purpose of bashing combat mechanics in BL, however I think I understand your message. I don't want to have to perform as a spastic teenager in mp, but, also not to feel handicapped by some weird sluggish mechanism. Because I do feel it, sometimes when I get hit, I get stunned so hard that I never have chance to parry 2nd attack.

I'm referring to the posts criticizing Warband's combat as arcadey because it's uh, fast and responsive? What I'm wondering is who's having thoughts like "really appreciate whenever I get hit because of the delay from holding an attack in one direction to blocking in another. Makes me pine for the days of playing Street Fighter 4 on wifi."

People that mainly care about singleplayer where they'll never be forced to use advanced combat mechanics or improve at the game in order to progress.
Pretty sure AI will be bad and there'll also be a new version of the 'Swadian Knight' class you can just spam and win without having to really play.

This looks good, one thing I really dislike about Bannerlord is how people zip out of your range constantly. I think it has to do with the strafing speed. This would be worth a try by Taleworlds, I'm definitely gonna play modded with these values when the game comes out.

Alright, I played Warband enough to really comment on this hot topic, as a somewhat experienced duel player myself. (1000 hrs) My opinion is that Warband's combat looks bad on the eye plain and simple, but feels good. Bannerlord's combat looks great on the eye, but that responsiveness that we got used to in Warband is not there. That is right. One thing I always think to myself is that how well you are in Warband Multiplayer really depends on how well you can abuse/push the limits of the animations for the mid-level players, let's just admit it.

I see Warband pro's like Gibby and such talking about Warband combat how it is better than BL and whatnot, and I respect their opinion. But one thing they seem to forget is that once you go below that %5 of players who are god-like in MP -like you guys-, you then face the players who put their heads down facing the ground (or the exact opposite), adjust their mouse DPI to some crazy sensitivity, and start doing some crazy sh*t. And it just results in a bad-quality combat. It looks like they are having a seizure in an anime speeds and you just don't know what to do or which way to block against these clowns. I know they don't really pose a threat to a solid player in Warband MP but also bear in mind that not everyone can invest enough time or effort to get super good in this game, but they still deserve to enjoy the game.

Not everyone is gonna play as clean as you guys do, and making the combat like Warband will also bring out some dirty players and give them the chance to abuse this high responsiveness. They should be punished for feinting like crazy by the game's blocking system, and in Warband they just weren't. I personally love where the combat of Bannerlord is headed, and going back to the old ways will just be a lazy solution to the problems.

I believe TW will definitely do what is best for us the players.

I'm not sure how that's related in any way. Nobody here wants glitchy animations back as the game can work great without them, the modified parameters don't do that either nor is the intent making a Warband copy (which you should know if you've read through some of the posts here).

Alright, I played Warband enough to really comment on this hot topic, as a somewhat experienced duel player myself. (1000 hrs) My opinion is that Warband's combat looks bad on the eye plain and simple, but feels good. Bannerlord's combat looks great on the eye, but that responsiveness that we got used to in Warband is not there. That is right. One thing I always think to myself is that how well you are in Warband Multiplayer really depends on how well you can abuse/push the limits of the animations for the mid-level players, let's just admit it.

I see Warband pro's like Gibby and such talking about Warband combat how it is better than BL and whatnot, and I respect their opinion. But one thing they seem to forget is that once you go below that %5 of players who are god-like in MP -like you guys-, you then face the players who put their heads down facing the ground (or the exact opposite), adjust their mouse DPI to some crazy sensitivity, and start doing some crazy sh*t. And it just results in a bad-quality combat. It looks like they are having a seizure in an anime speeds and you just don't know what to do or which way to block against these clowns. I know they don't really pose a threat to a solid player in Warband MP but also bear in mind that not everyone can invest enough time or effort to get super good in this game, but they still deserve to enjoy the game.

Not everyone is gonna play as clean as you guys do, and making the combat like Warband will also bring out some dirty players and give them the chance to abuse this high responsiveness. They should be punished for feinting like crazy by the game's blocking system, and in Warband they just weren't. I personally love where the combat of Bannerlord is headed, and going back to the old ways will just be a lazy solution to the problems.

Therefore, I just wait for the optimal changes that will give a balance between the players.

Honestly, the game is somewhere beyond “simplification” (everything that can simplify the game is not far from the Warband, and at the moment the game is far from everything that is written in this thread).

Bannerlord does not have the freedom of action of Warband (which does not give positive features, but gives simplification).
Bannerlord is also far from optimal simplifications that will not harm the aspects of the game (gives strict equality, but at the same time, everything attractive is noticeably reduced).

Last edited:

If you look at the parameters that Silen addressed, none of that would allow for the 180-degree 32000dpi feintspamming in the opposite direction that warband (could) allow. Making a strawman against the bad elements of Warband combat doesn't help anyone.

The changed parameters make the game feel more responsive and better without approaching the glitchiness range. Current Bannerlord combat is so far into the "safe" side of things that combat is slow and unappealing. We want the game to feel as responsive to the player as we can without becoming "this looks impossible" or "this looks glitched."

If you look at the parameters that Silen addressed, none of that would allow for the 180-degree 32000dpi feintspamming in the opposite direction that warband (could) allow. Making a strawman against the bad elements of Warband combat doesn't help anyone.

The changed parameters make the game feel more responsive and better without approaching the glitchiness range. Current Bannerlord combat is so far into the "safe" side of things that combat is slow and unappealing. We want the game to feel as responsive to the player as we can without becoming "this looks impossible" or "this looks glitched."

Wait are we not fighting for warband 1:1 hard carbon copy? Was this not our plan? Guys what the hell. I love a game with unrealistic glitchy animations why are you ruining it for me

I'm not sure how that's related in any way. Nobody here wants glitchy animations back as the game can work great without them, the modified parameters don't do that either nor is the intent making a Warband copy (which you should know if you've read through some of the posts here).

What I wrote was actually not a comment on your modified parameters but rather to those people who say Warband's combat is MUCH superior to Bannerlord and current combat is garbage, insist on bringing back the Warband combat, like copy paste directly. Maybe I have posted it on the wrong thread, I don't know. I haven't really tried your parameters, and I will. But by the looks of that video, combat looks bad as it was in Warband, I'm sure it feels better though. Stil don't know how you can eliminate animation abusers without giving the player high responsiveness. It seems like there is a trade-off.

This also brings another question, why do we even have a new game then when you think about the MP side of things? For the sake of 3d grass and cloth physics?
If the combat's gonna feel about the same as it was in Warband ten years ago with some extra sauce, then Bannerlord will just be another extension of Warband. And personally I don't what that. TW apparently has a grand plan of things, and they are much more aware than any of us about what made Warband so great, and playable for so many years, so pressuring them to make the combat "more like Warband" is a kind of bigotry and disrespectful to the Devs in my eyes. Maybe they have a better plan, a better vision for combat that we will see during the final release of the game. Who knows?

I just do not understand those people who are like "This game's gonna suck soooo bad if they don't change the combat. Delay the game again!!!"

Just calm your tits guys. Assuming the majority of public opinion/reviews are THAT bad about the combat -which it isn't-, they can probably change the combat in 10 minutes changing the parameters and hardcoded animations, release a patch the other day and we would have no problems. Stop acting like it's gonna be a hellfire for TW on the release day, as if they care. They are for sure reading these threads and very well aware of the current state of the combat and it's problems. They live and die by this game. I believe they have a different vision as I've said above. Just give them some space and time to work.

BTW, I do not direct these comments to any of you who are just constructively criticizing the game. Just so you know.

To the detractors, and despite the controversy that the issue raises, I repeat it again. Download the mod, try the parameters by yourself and if you don't know or can't make it work, join the discord channel and very kindly you will be given the appropriate instructions.
After you have tried it, come here and comment; even if you don't like it.
Do not miss the opportunity, and don't argue about arguing.

... pressuring them to make the combat "more like Warband" is a kind of bigotry and disrespectful to the Devs in my eyes.

join the discord channel and very kindly you will be given the appropriate instructions.
Just don't be surprised when in that same discord server you find several of those developers who we so blatantly "disrespect" :fruity:

ah. . .if only repeating something many times makes it become true, where would i be . . .

Just don't be surprised when in that same discord server you find several of those developers who we so blatantly "disrespect" :fruity:

ah. . .if only repeating something many times makes it become true, where would i be . . .

I didn't say you guys are disrespecting, and made it clear that these comments are not directed to those who are constructively criticizing the game. What the actual f*ck are you talking about? I also didn't say what I said is true, I just made an assumption that they clearly have a different plan about the combat. There is really nothing to bash about my last comment. I'm not stating any scientific fact, just my opinions. Just because I don't agree with you... What a cheap move, mate.

Back
Top Bottom