MP Modified Combat Parameters

Users who are viewing this thread

Alright, I played Warband enough to really comment on this hot topic, as a somewhat experienced duel player myself. (1000 hrs) My opinion is that Warband's combat looks bad on the eye plain and simple, but feels good. Bannerlord's combat looks great on the eye, but that responsiveness that we got used to in Warband is not there. That is right. One thing I always think to myself is that how well you are in Warband Multiplayer really depends on how well you can abuse/push the limits of the animations for the mid-level players, let's just admit it.

I see Warband pro's like Gibby and such talking about Warband combat how it is better than BL and whatnot, and I respect their opinion. But one thing they seem to forget is that once you go below that %5 of players who are god-like in MP -like you guys-, you then face the players who put their heads down facing the ground (or the exact opposite), adjust their mouse DPI to some crazy sensitivity, and start doing some crazy sh*t. And it just results in a bad-quality combat. It looks like they are having a seizure in an anime speeds and you just don't know what to do or which way to block against these clowns. I know they don't really pose a threat to a solid player in Warband MP but also bear in mind that not everyone can invest enough time or effort to get super good in this game, but they still deserve to enjoy the game.

Not everyone is gonna play as clean as you guys do, and making the combat like Warband will also bring out some dirty players and give them the chance to abuse this high responsiveness. They should be punished for feinting like crazy by the game's blocking system, and in Warband they just weren't. I personally love where the combat of Bannerlord is headed, and going back to the old ways will just be a lazy solution to the problems.

I believe TW will definitely do what is best for us the players.

These are very good points and well articulate what i felt but couldnt properly say. Nevertheless i too prefer the general direction that Bannerlord is going no matter how fun finding that sweeet glitchy-animation spot Warband was but i think it does need calibrating and do prefer this custom configuration over Vanilla at this point.

@pango
THAT felt like a bash to you ? I kindheartedly suggest you grow some tougher skin as soon as possible, if you are going to continue your way of arguing with others.
OK. Lets move on now.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I don't think anyone wants shoulder-breaking Warband animations. It was fun to learn and play but we want combat to look good too.

Warband combat felt like you were fighting someone else, but now it feels like you're fighting to control your own character.
Like writing with oven mitts on.

If you look at the recent visual overhaul, a huge amount of that was influenced by the work of two people posting threads like this.

@pango
THAT felt like a bash to you ? I kindheartedly suggest you grow some tougher skin as soon as possible, if you are going to continue your way of arguing with others.
OK. Lets move on now.
giphy.gif
I'm sincerely sorry, i think I've acted a little bit sensitive. It's just I don't really like when people respond with sarcasm to something i wrote in a serious manner. But whatever, i overreacted. Sorry for that

My experience: I didn't play warband MP, I'm not good at blocking without a shield but I can do it if the camera is not moving like hell, which is a clever tactic but I don't like it. My fps aren't good and my ping is ok, sometimes I feel like I can't block sheeeet and I think is because a combination of bad fps and worse ping than the other makes it impossible. In every game mode I tried there wasn't time to duel anyway. In Skirmish there were some players with team speakers or something and I had 3 or 4 horses on me when I was going for the flag in city streets. In captain if you are duelling other player usually he goes away to hack bots backs. In TDM apart from archers and cavalry everywhere, often there are teams camping in an area, they have some archers spread out, a twohanders squadron on patrol and even 1 or 2 horsemen ready to knock you down.

I like to play with spear, small shield and 1 handed weapon. The shield is good to defend from missiles. The spear makes damage from the beginning of the animation, that's true, but I mainly use it to keep cavalry at bay and to attack when there are other friendlies around. I switch to 1 handed wp when I'm going to duel someone. The spear is a team weapon and I think its behaviour makes it useful for bots who don't know how to keep the distance. I understand it is unstoppable in duels with pro players. But it is also very easy to block and harder to aim. That's why I don't like to hear about nerfing spears and shields.

But my concern is for SP. Honestly I can't tell the difference between stuns, delays or feints. It's too fast for me and I admire skilled players, those who are able to sheath the sword and crouch to taunt you and the like, I've been killed more than once by them and yet I had a smile when I respawned.

I'm still not sure how Bannerlord's combat is meant to be appealing to casuals. I didn't get into Warband MP until last year and I'm not good enough that I've ever intentionally chambered or seen people abusing janky animations but when attacks and blocks are delayed, backpedaling is too slow so I'm constantly strafing in circles in melee, kicking is useless, shields are way too durable, melee damage seems random, I get 2 hit by thrown weapons, archers have god aim, and I'm constantly getting knocked over by horses grazing me I'm not having a great time.

I'm still not sure how Bannerlord's combat is meant to be appealing to casuals. I didn't get into Warband MP until last year and I'm not good enough that I've ever intentionally chambered or seen people abusing janky animations but when attacks and blocks are delayed, backpedaling is too slow so I'm constantly strafing in circles in melee, kicking is useless, shields are way too durable, melee damage seems random, I get 2 hit by thrown weapons, archers have god aim, and I'm constantly getting knocked over by horses grazing me I'm not having a great time.
The Bannerlord experience summed up in one comment.

I think its fun for casuals who want to go in the game without having to turn on their brain. Like its easy to still make kills in bannerlord even through you can't block since the general playerbase right now does not know how to block. Hopefully this will change at EA

such wisdom from someone that hasn't even played much Warband MP.

anybody presuming that silen or others who tested these parameters want to bring back janky animations are simply incorrect. i know that is not their goal, and i don't think it is anybody's goal. those animations allowed for a certain skill-cap, sure, but there does need to be a reasonable comprise between animation abuse and both accessible and realistic gameplay. silen's parameters work towards that.

think of it as the current Bannerlord combat but without the sliding and janky movement, without the block delay, with a minimized attack delay and with various other combat changes designed to make it flow better and feel more satisfying. if responsive and intuitive gameplay = a return to Warband, then yes, these changes do that. however, they don't "break" the combat, they don't bring back "animation abuse" or "glitching". try them for yourself if you think otherwise. the base game feels dramatically less responsive after playing for a bit on these changes.

such wisdom from someone that hasn't even played much Warband MP.

anybody presuming that silen or others who tested these parameters want to bring back janky animations are simply incorrect. i know that is not their goal, and i don't think it is anybody's goal. those animations allowed for a certain skill-cap, sure, but there does need to be a reasonable comprise between animation abuse and both accessible and realistic gameplay. silen's parameters work towards that.

think of it as the current Bannerlord combat but without the sliding and janky movement, without the block delay, with a minimized attack delay and with various other combat changes designed to make it flow better and feel more satisfying. if responsive and intuitive gameplay = a return to Warband, then yes, these changes do that. however, they don't "break" the combat, they don't bring back "animation abuse" or "glitching". try them for yourself if you think otherwise. the base game feels dramatically less responsive after playing for a bit on these changes.

I completely agree.

As nice as this is, it's really disheartening to already see that the community has to resort the making the game the way it should be instead of Taleworlds themselves.

EDIT: and the complete lack of response to this thread is pretty shocking also.

Back
Top Bottom