MP Modified Combat Parameters

Users who are viewing this thread

just found this thread, didn't even know that such thing existed cuz gave up on bannerlord beta somewhere in july, well done whoever was involved in creating and tweaking these combat parameters, from quick look on the videos it's a lot better than default multiplayer, but it's hilarious and sad at the same time to see TW blatantly ignoring basically the players doing the dev's job

posting it as a bump I guess @Callum @armagan , even though it's clear the devs don't care.

Last edited:
I wonder if you can tweak these to bring back lulfeinting from warband. Would be cool to get an old-school dueling server up with tweaks to recreate dueling from warband. The current feinting is so boring and basic and swinging 2handers in general is so clunky and disgusting...

A good parallel to draw is when they disabled quick scoping from mw2 in blackops 1. It was lame.

I can understand why taleworlds nerfed feinting and made combat gross--to appeal to the singleplayer troglodytes that constantly complained about realism or whatever aka 90% of the people that bought the game....but dammit ITS NOT FUN

I wonder if you can tweak these to bring back lulfeinting from warband. Would be cool to get an old-school dueling server up with tweaks to recreate dueling from warband. The current feinting is so boring and basic and swinging 2handers in general is so clunky and disgusting...

A good parallel to draw is when they disabled quick scoping from mw2 in blackops 1. It was lame.

I can understand why taleworlds nerfed feinting and made combat gross--to appeal to the singleplayer troglodytes that constantly complained about realism or whatever aka 90% of the people that bought the game....but dammit ITS NOT FUN

Not that I miss it loads but yeah it's not fun

Pretty embarrassing for TaleWorlds if they are letting their players fix the combat rather than listening to feedback and fixing it themselves.

Whoever is leading the team in charge of tweaking combat, I implore you to read the advice of people who are playing with the combat competitively (past or presently). Are most of us game developers? No. But, the consensus among players who have been sinking countless hours into playing the system you have put forth is that compared to your last game (Warband), you haven't secured a solid high-ceiling, balanced and enjoyable combat system. The actual multiplayer experience in general is a whole other note that many have touched on, but it is highly inadequate and will continue to bleed player-base unless something is done (hint: listen to your veteran players!).

Alright, besides the complete (and rather sad) lack of TW input on this thread, is there currently any way to convert this into a full-fledged SP-only mod?

The values are XMLs, and they should be easily changed by the current modding capabilities most SP modders have right now, and I wanted to test the parameters in SP (but also be able to disable and re-enable them at a touch in the SP launcher) and play with them (given the complete lack of custom servers right now).

If not, would dragging these parameters into my Native Module folder instantly apply the changes to SP?

If it helps, I've repurposed the XMLs for SP by copypasting the modified values from this thread onto the current branch's native_parameters.xml, managed_core_parameters.xml, and combat_parameters.xml.

This works in SP, as far as I can tell - I run it on my SP client and it seems to work fine.

Trying to get the module system to work with these files was hopeless. As far as I know, the game is hardcoded to read from these files ONLY in the Native folder.

Here is some "video proof"(?) - there's some super bad lag on my part of not knowing how OBS works (I much prefer NVIDIA GeForce Experience but it wasn't working), but I hope the difference can be shown even on like, sub-10 FPS. The player character had about 100 skill level in everything, while the unit they fought (which was a custom unit added by my mod) had somewhere around 220 athletics and 280 1h. The shields took a while to break, I also glanced a ton of times but I'll chalk that down to tournament weapons being really bad.

- I can't exactly be sure if I copied over the changed parameters to the vanilla branch perfectly, so there could be some missing things or some errors.

- Combat parameters are completely overwritten on the vanilla branch as opposed to me manually replacing every value because I thought the differences from vanilla and beta-modified weren't too large to make a difference (I assumed they were identical). I may be wrong.

- The XMLs, which seem to describe combat parameters, have ****ed up spears in SP. Usually, using them as a player is a ****ty experience, but when using them now, I feel like I get a lot more hits at close range and they seem to do more damage. It appears that the parameters have almost inherited(?) the properties of spear damage and calculations from previous versions in the beta (back when spears did almost instant damage on startup)

- The nerfs to sideways walking speed make the free-win strategy of orbiting enemy opponents and whacking away at their head much less reliable! Be warned! There's a reason I get absolutely destroyed by that Varyag in the video (that, and I can't block overheads). SP combat is a lot more fun but a lot less cheesy. At the same time, fighting this Varyag Guard but also getting absolutely obliterated was a fun experience, and the game feels better from vanilla Bannerlord.

Looks amazing in SP! The tempo feels much more natural, the back and forth looks fun and challenging, it seems it can't be broken even with the SP very high weapon proefficiencies , and although the video is choppy, i already see i much prefer these parameters, i will deffinitely try them myself, as you say, those bounces may be just the awfull tournament weapons vs full varyag armor.
As for it being a full on mod, perhaps you could just upload it here on the finished mods section and Nexus, plus the default XML too, so people can download and revert to if they please, without having to back up on their own.
A real bummer it cant be made into a proper module....
Great work anyways ! :party:

The video looks great and the rythm is much more fast paced but I still dislike how you dealt 2 damage on that first hit that glanced. That, imo, is one of the biggest atrocities of the current combat.

If it helps, I've repurposed the XMLs for SP by copypasting the modified values from this thread onto the current branch's native_parameters.xml, managed_core_parameters.xml, and combat_parameters.xml.

This works in SP, as far as I can tell - I run it on my SP client and it seems to work fine.

Trying to get the module system to work with these files was hopeless. As far as I know, the game is hardcoded to read from these files ONLY in the Native folder.

Here is some "video proof"(?) - there's some super bad lag on my part of not knowing how OBS works (I much prefer NVIDIA GeForce Experience but it wasn't working), but I hope the difference can be shown even on like, sub-10 FPS. The player character had about 100 skill level in everything, while the unit they fought (which was a custom unit added by my mod) had somewhere around 220 athletics and 280 1h. The shields took a while to break, I also glanced a ton of times but I'll chalk that down to tournament weapons being really bad.

- I can't exactly be sure if I copied over the changed parameters to the vanilla branch perfectly, so there could be some missing things or some errors.

- Combat parameters are completely overwritten on the vanilla branch as opposed to me manually replacing every value because I thought the differences from vanilla and beta-modified weren't too large to make a difference (I assumed they were identical). I may be wrong.

- The XMLs, which seem to describe combat parameters, have ****ed up spears in SP. Usually, using them as a player is a ****ty experience, but when using them now, I feel like I get a lot more hits at close range and they seem to do more damage. It appears that the parameters have almost inherited(?) the properties of spear damage and calculations from previous versions in the beta (back when spears did almost instant damage on startup)

- The nerfs to sideways walking speed make the free-win strategy of orbiting enemy opponents and whacking away at their head much less reliable! Be warned! There's a reason I get absolutely destroyed by that Varyag in the video (that, and I can't block overheads). SP combat is a lot more fun but a lot less cheesy. At the same time, fighting this Varyag Guard but also getting absolutely obliterated was a fun experience, and the game feels better from vanilla Bannerlord.

Cool. Looks great.

This mode has some interesting choices for single player without the need of editing xtml. Precisely, it has 3 sliders that should be in the game already in native. Which is x and y sensitivity threshold for blocking and input threshold. I dont really play SP but if you want to check it out let us know how it is and how the changes feel.

Moderate necro on this thread hello. I read through the whole thing, yes, all 12 pages including some of your **** posts. Thanks to @chubbychode123 for his questions on combat that led me to this thread.

In anticipation of the soon upcoming patch which will include changes to combat parameters I’d like to give a little bit of personal feedback on how combat in Bannerlord feels to a newb, why the scrub likes Bannerlord, and serve as a reminder to all of you that your input on these forums do indeed persist and are read and appreciated by newcomers. I’d like very much to see a continuation of the discourse I read in the beginning of this thread as opposed to the almost fractured way (good) suggestions are being piled on in the rest of the forums, and hopefully after the patch is applied we can all be excited about how much better the game plays.

I don’t like the combat in Warband. All of the high level videos I’ve seen look, frankly, silly and unrealistic. It’s telling to me that there is an issue if the audience needs to be assured that what they’re seeing is difficult to pull of rather than it being immediately apparent.

Currently, fighting in Bannerlord immediately looks better. You can easily tell that someone is being outfeinted and about to get hit. You can easily tell who has the advantage and initiative and you can easily follow the movements, lolspins notwithstanding.

As it stands, you can apply the most important principle of fighting in Bannerlord, which, as far as I can tell, is impossible to apply in Warband: efficiency of movement. The inclusion of variable block delay as a mechanic makes this an important consideration, is very exciting, and increases the skill ceiling tremendously. My favorite moments in a fight are right before any movements are made. I can actually position myself and make a small plan of how I’m going to attack to throw my opponent off, and it’s like there’s already a fight happening before the first swing is made. The physics based engine allows me to do things that I otherwise wouldn’t be able to do. In a fight earlier tonight, my opponent was straight up delivering ufc style backhands but with a sword. And they were calculated and precise. We were boxing and it's literally possible to duck and dodge a strike. You can block a down strike by crouching and up blocking. I can’t even begin to describe how exciting this is. This engine, once tuned, will define fighting games for a decade to come.

This game is appealing to me because I can practice a skill, blocking and feinting up, right, down, until it becomes unconscious and I can perform movements without thinking about what my hands are doing. I can build muscle memory and then use it to win. I didn’t play Warband, I didn’t play Mordhau, and based on where posters figured new players would come from and tw’s comments on sport being a factor in development, it seems that people like me were never considered a key demographic.

There are millennia of balancing already done between the sword, bow, spear, and horse. If their behavior is properly simulated then there will be no need to balance classes. And if the behavior is properly simulated, then tuning the existing game modes until they are the most fun to play will complete the game.

And thus I’d like to offer a new paradigm for everyone. I don’t think realism vs fun in the classical game design sense should apply here. I think the focus should absolutely remain simulating realistic fights because that is what is most fun.

/soapbox

Last edited:
Hi, Rektasaurus. :xf-smile:

I want to further point out that you "didn't play Warband". This can't be ignored. It's fair to say it visually looks better if you think that, but these games are made to be played, especially in MP that doesn't have story. You can't just look at videos online to understand how a game feels. I can tell you that I looked at duel videos of Warband MP before I bought the game, and my impression of the game then was completely different to later, after having bothered to learn the combat (let alone actually play the game at all). It's fine to talk positively of Bannerlord's combat if you like it, but to compare it to a game you've never experienced and don't understand well is severely flawed.

Back
Top Bottom