B Tutorial 3D Modeling in 3DS Max (Early WIP Tutorial)

Users who are viewing this thread

RMOD-Dylan

Regular
WORK IN PROGRESS
About the author:
Hello, and welcome. My name is Dylan White, former weapons artist for Evil Tree Studios. I do not claim to be the best at what I do, but I do have some tips and tricks to guide beginners and intermediate artists. Because I care so much about you guys, I will be providing example files to follow along. I learned how to model using 3D Studio Max about 9 years ago using available resources on the web, attending The Art Institute to refine my skill set. I was 13 when I taught myself, so if a child could do it so can you.

Tool Kit:
Autodesk 3D Studio Max 2014
Autodesk Mudbox 2014

Introduction:
I would like to briefly introduce the ideas behind my modeling workflow and will update this tutorial as time goes by.

I will be using 3D Studio Max 2014 for the duration of the tutorial to create the base model. The base model will be the basis for our high poly object we can bring in to Autodesk Mudbox, and from there we can sculpt details such as cracks, scratches, screws, metal receiver stamping for weapons, etc. There are a number of ways to approach game assets in terms of work flow.

I know just a couple of you have been asking how to create high poly models, or dont know about how to create proper topology. As far as I understand P3D will allow you to look at models and download them too, so I would love to share the mid-poly Suomi M31 for anyone to download.

Direct link to download OBJ: http://www.mediafire.com/view/a1gea9xxo0451ed/Suomi_M31_LP.obj
(.OBJ files are standardized 3D object files that are shared between all 3D programs. Can be imported and exported)

( Suomi M31 Mid Poly (View in 3D))

For now we will use this and use the provided downloadable .OBJ file. This file is the completed Mid-Poly model prepped for high poly subdivision. We will get into how to prepare our models for subdivision later, and talk about what subdivision does and how it works on your models.

Workflow Overview:

- Under normal circumstances I create the base model, then unwrap the model to proceed to the high poly model.

The advantage of unwrapping your model before moving on to the high poly sculpt is that you will be able to paint diffuse, specular, and bake your normals to the low poly after completion.
The "disadvantage" you have is creating a base model under a certain polygon/triangle count but trying to aim for realism in the high poly model. For example I am limited to 2,000 triangles/tris. (Press 7 in 3ds max to view statistics)

- My workaround

The Mid-Poly model that is prepped for Mudbox is roughly 7,700 triangles. Dont worry, we will come back to the base model later and find ways to reduce it to below 2,000 triangles and have it game ready by baking our normals once we have the model unwrapped. Since the high poly model does not necessarily need UV maps you do not have to unwrap it. It can be baked on top of the low poly model once it is ready.

------------------
Getting Started:

First things first. We need reference, lots of it. I have provided some references below for our PPSH-41 we will be modeling from scratch. My folder contains views from all angles I can get to ensure accurate modeling, more is better. Since this weapon is based closely on the Suomi M31 which predates it we will have a good idea of what our weapon mesh will look like. Please open up the Suomi M31 .OBJ file if you need to glance at the topology. I will do my best to create video tutorials to guide you along, I just installed some software to do so however making video tutorials is foreign to me. Please bear with me.

References:

Left view
10257440_676664479036979_4360323049210311353_o.jpg
Right view
1912421_676664519036975_5461610495849953508_o.jpg
Top view
10001149_676664169037010_8439668159602314697_o.jpg

Video Tutorial:
Part 1:

Part 2:

Gothic Knight said:
Cool, looks interesting.
Edit: The sound seems a bit low on the video though.
Sorry everyone, work has halted on all fronts for me for a few days. I've been going through physical therapy for my back and I can hardly move at all. Hydromorphine was an interesting experience too.

As for the video, I apologize for sound. Im literally using a handheld recorder for best quality but its sensitive and I am new to video making. Sound will be addressed in next tutorial.

Edit: I woke up and couldn't sleep. Progress update 5/7.

Video incoming in the following days following this progress update.

10285076_689199227783504_4533503372992272129_o.jpg

Updated 5/9.
Added video part 2.

Back
Top Bottom