Modding VC: basic tutorials and Q&A thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello.

Is there a way to remove a lord completely from the game? I want to remove a certain ex-companion who reappeared as an adventurer after I finished the storyline, despite his supposedly being dead by that point. I've looked through the savegame with the savegame editor, but failed to find the right option.

Gorlomi said:
Is there a way to remove a lord completely from the game?

a lord is different from a companion, even tho they are both troops. There is the trick part about VC making companions into lords tho  :mrgreen:

the answer is yes, sure. Visit the Forge if you need help, as this is related to Warband general modding. You can also check the Tweaks Tool to see how to disable the adventurer feature.

Btw: if you are playing the vanilla/latest version of VC you should report this bug (a dead companion should not become a adventurer) -> visit the support VC forum

Okay thanks, kalarhan. Not sure which thread I use there though.

As for the possible bug: should I still report it if I had tweaked the game with your tool before starting the story mode?

Gorlomi said:
should I still report it if I had tweaked the game with your tool before starting the story mode?

nope, as it is no longer a vanilla copy of the game, so the game devs (BWStudios) can't help with it.

you can investigate it yourself tho, as the configuration for marriage is quite simple, just a slot (pointer) saying that Troop A -> married -> Troop B, Troop B -> married -> Troop A (check the slot on both troops)

Code:
slot_troop_spouse              = 30

Hello fellow players im very new to modding let alone the community. ive watched one video to try and add armors to VC from other mods specifically from the sword and axe mod yet alas i was not successsful.

the only thing i could mak sense is that the inner module for VC is not an ini file maybe?

HouseBoltonHuskarl said:
ive watched one video to try and add armors to VC from other mods

check the start of this thread, as it has guides/tutorials/links to modding material. A example is this post with a link to armor tutorial https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,347990.msg8331490.html#msg8331490

if you take armor sets from other mods you will need to adapt them, as the DLC uses a different body type (skeleton). Visit Forge and OpenBRF forums to learn more about that.

Vagn said:
apply penalty to skill while wearing them.

module_constants.py has the base ranges
Code:
#para negativos equipamiento chief habilidades
desnudos_begin = "itm_pictish_painted1"
desnudos_end = "itm_picts_hoodtunic_11"
armadura_pesada_begin = "itm_mail_shirt"
armadura_pesada_end = "itm_burlap_tunic" 
armadura_pesada2_begin = "itm_addon_mail4"
armadura_pesada2_end = "itm_trophy_norse" 
armadura_media_begin = "itm_gambeson1"
armadura_media_end = armadura_pesada_begin
yelmos_pesados_begin = "itm_briton_helm"
yelmos_pesados_end = "itm_crown1" 
escudos_pesados_begin = "itm_wooden_shield"
escudos_pesados_end = "itm_tab_shield_small_round_c"
in Spanish so "pesada" = heavy, "media" = medium or light , etc

easiest way is to simple add your new armor inside those ranges and start a new game (not savegame compatible). Alternative is to edit the scripts that use those constants instead.

kalarhan said:
Vagn said:
apply penalty to skill while wearing them.

module_constants.py has the base ranges
Code:
#para negativos equipamiento chief habilidades
desnudos_begin = "itm_pictish_painted1"
desnudos_end = "itm_picts_hoodtunic_11"
armadura_pesada_begin = "itm_mail_shirt"
armadura_pesada2_begin = "itm_addon_mail4"
armadura_pesada2_end = "itm_trophy_norse" 
armadura_media_begin = "itm_gambeson1"
armadura_media_end = armadura_pesada_begin
yelmos_pesados_begin = "itm_briton_helm"
yelmos_pesados_end = "itm_crown1" 
escudos_pesados_begin = "itm_wooden_shield"
escudos_pesados_end = "itm_tab_shield_small_round_c"
in Spanish so "pesada" = heavy, "media" = medium or light , etc

easiest way is to simple add your new armor inside those ranges and start a new game (not savegame compatible). Alternative is to edit the scripts that use those constants instead.

Thanks. Unfotunately never done coding work. Was hoping that one of the txt files can be tweaked to do this. Thank you anyway.

Vagn said:
Thanks. Unfotunately never done coding work. Was hoping that one of the txt files can be tweaked to do this. Thank you anyway.

well everyone needs to start from somewhere  :razz:, a small project like adding new items and a year later you are making your own mods  :grin:

anyway as long you keep your items inside the range all you need to do is include new ones on module_items.py (manually or with Morgh's .py edit, not .txt edit), compile and play.

Code:
rmadura_pesada_begin = "itm_mail_shirt"

Code:
["mail_shirt", "Frisian Byrnie", [("Chain_Frisian_01",0)], itp_merchandise|itp_type_body_armor|itp_covers_legs|itp_civilian,0,
 6750 , weight(16)|abundance(10)|head_armor(0)|body_armor(42)|leg_armor(22)|difficulty(9) ,imodbits_mail,
 [], [fac_kingdom_4, fac_kingdom_5]], #frisa, saxons 
["mail_shirt_1", "Common Byrnie", [("Chainmail_02",0)], itp_merchandise|itp_type_body_armor|itp_covers_legs|itp_civilian,0,
 6750 , weight(16)|abundance(10)|head_armor(0)|body_armor(42)|leg_armor(22)|difficulty(9) ,imodbits_mail],

... insert new stuff here between "mail_shirt" and "burlap_tunic" for heavy armor

#Quest-specific - perhaps can be used for prisoners, 
["burlap_tunic", "Burlap Tunic", [("Tunic_Norse_12",0)], itp_type_body_armor  |itp_covers_legs ,0,
 125 , weight(1)|abundance(100)|head_armor(0)|body_armor(5)|leg_armor(1)|difficulty(0) ,imodbits_cloth ], #cambiado chief

Hi Kalarhan, I'd like to add some companions to VC and will use the excellent tutorial in the Forge (by Malik Faris). The example he uses is 'Klethi' from WB, so my question is would I be editing the MBW companion files or would I edit the VC DLC files? My hunch is the VC files but I'm pretty new to modding hence the noob question.

Also I'd like to edit the Wolf / Bear skin armour you get off the Beserker unit so it works for female characters / companions. Currently if you outfit a female PC / NPC it only shows up bare chested (male). Also like to give that armour a special bonus like the Pict armour in Brytenwalda. Can you recommend a good tutorial to do this?

Cheers, Dirty Norseman.

Dirty Norseman said:
I edit the VC DLC files?

Also I'd like to edit the Wolf / Bear skin armour you get off the Beserker unit so it works for female characters / companions

VC modsys (it uses some of the Native modsys, but it is heavily modified and has a bunch of new stuff). You don't use a [orange cake] recipe to make a [chocolate cake], right? Same with modules, each one has its own unique modsys.

For armor I suggest you visit the Forge -> Tools -> OpenBRF to learn how to edit them, add female version, etc.

kalarhan said:
VC modsys...
Thank you.

So I followed your tutorial in the OP. I set up a new folder under modules and edited the module.ini file to match the name of the folder. Then I edited vc_version in the module_constants.py file to 1000 as you suggest. I noticed however that it said the warband_version was 1168 which doesn't match what is in module.ini (operation_set_version = 1170). Do I have to change one of these variables, 1168 or 1170? Have I downloaded the wrong version?

Lastly I edited the module_info to the location of my folder.

In module_info I have this: export_dir = "C:/Program Files (x86)/Mount&Blade Warband/Modules/VC_mymod/"

But when I double click build_module I get a errno13 error.

Any suggestions on where I've gone wrong?

Edit: If it helps...when I try build_module I first get the message variables.txt not found. Creating new variables.txt, then I get the errnos.

Dirty Norseman said:
vc_version
warband_version

think of "vc_version" are your car model, and "warband_version" as the manufacturing year.

vc_version = "Ferrari 488 GTB"
warband_version = "2018"

in simple terms: warband_version is the game engine (the .exe, the stuff that handles the tech stuff like talking to the computer to create graphics on your monitor), while the module (vc_version) is the game (where you put game design and logic). You can't have one without the other (to play something), and you can't mismatch them (as you can't buy a Ferrari 488 from 1990)

I created my first companion and found her in game after a long search...took about an hour of visiting all the towns. Dialogue ran well (only 1 minor glitch).

But I'm wondering if it's possible to set companions at a fixed location, like Dwywei (NPC7) is at the Mystic Circle.

I saw this comment in module_troops:
Code:
#  5) Scene (int) (only applicable to heroes) For example: scn_reyvadin_castle|entry(1) puts troop in reyvadin castle's first entry point

Using ctrl + F, I searched for NPC7 (Dwywei) to try to locate that bit of code in module_troops to replicate it for my NPC. Alas I couldn't see it attributed to her.

After that I basically just entered that code for my companion (NPC17) like this:
Code:
["npc17","Aallotar","Aallotar",tf_female|tf_hero|tf_unmoveable_in_party_window, scn_town_5_tavern|entry(1), 0, reserved,  fac_commoners,[itm_btunic_1, itm_carbatinae_4v, itm_longseax6]
I've deleted the rest of the entry (attributes etc) to highlight ", scn_town_5_tavern|entry(1)". Writing it this way caused a type error when I clicked build module. But doing this "|scn_town_5_tavern|entry(1)" compiled fine. However she wasn't at that location, and it was the first city I visited right after starting a new game. I checked that town_5 (Tunsberg) is correct.

So my questions:

1. Can you fix companions to a location?
2. If so which module should I look for? I did a search of all the modules using ctrl + F for Dwywei (NPC7) but couldn't see any code relating to her with the (int) scn_

Ultimately, once I learn the code I want to create quests for my companions...but for now it would be much easier and less time consuming to test (dialogue / equipment etc) if I knew where to find them in game.

I understand modding is trial and error and I am trying and failing :grin: but any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Dirty Norseman said:
Cheers mate. It might be the not part confusing me. Time to get cross-eyed ?

Stuff related to game design is somewhere in the modsys. Sometimes you just need to hunt for it

Code:
neq, ":companion_candidate", "trp_npc7"
^ sandbox modes, not for storyline

Back
Top Bottom